Anyone heard of being a ship broker? - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Anyone heard of being a ship broker?

 Citibank Cash Back Card - up to $350 cash back* - Click to Apply Now 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 24-01-2012, 12:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 77
Liverpool is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone heard of being a ship broker?

hows the prospects?

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 18-02-2012, 07:35 PM
potential shipbroker
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Any one knows on the prospects of being a shipbroker?

1) Career progression
2) Salary progression
3) qualities needed to excel
4) Future of ship brokering
5) best shipbrokerage to work in
6) a comparison of charterer and shipbroker

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 24-02-2012, 10:20 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

- Trainee > Broker > Divisional Director
- Salary starting from $3000 to $50K (excluded bonus)
- Min O level
- Great Future

My Ahmad from operation drives a A4.

I drove a humble 5 series.

All best and good luck.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-2012, 11:24 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

anyone has any advise on how to break into shipbroking?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-04-2012, 09:30 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 12
excalibur324 is on a distinguished road
Default

ups for ppl more info on shipbroking.

how can to get in if without prior maritime knowledge..
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2012, 05:28 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I am in chartering/freight trading field (tankers).
Shipbrokers - need tenacity/relationship/communications skill
Prior maritime knowledge - good to have, but can pick up on job
Broking jobs start with stint on Ops to understand how things work & if good, firm will bump u up to be broker.
No life. Good broker works & entertains hard. To excel, do not think about work life balence, especially when you just start. Clientele base & support is everything.
Education - spans from O levels to degree holders. Know some non grads that are doing extremely well in this line; ie, its a people business and being streetwise helps.
Principles these days (charterers & owners) talk direct nowadays and view broking as a necessary evil. Gone are the days when there is co-broking.
Renumeration - trainee takes rubbish. Experienced people can command as high as USD20K/mth excluding comms/bonus. Professional firm setup. Star brokers pulling in more business usually get a much higher cut/basic.
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am in chartering/freight trading field (tankers).
Shipbrokers - need tenacity/relationship/communications skill
Prior maritime knowledge - good to have, but can pick up on job
Broking jobs start with stint on Ops to understand how things work & if good, firm will bump u up to be broker.
No life. Good broker works & entertains hard. To excel, do not think about work life balence, especially when you just start. Clientele base & support is everything.
Education - spans from O levels to degree holders. Know some non grads that are doing extremely well in this line; ie, its a people business and being streetwise helps.
Principles these days (charterers & owners) talk direct nowadays and view broking as a necessary evil. Gone are the days when there is co-broking.
Renumeration - trainee takes rubbish. Experienced people can command as high as USD20K/mth excluding comms/bonus. Professional firm setup. Star brokers pulling in more business usually get a much higher cut/basic.

Agree, no brains job, must know tok cock sing song, crack silly or dirty jokes, drink 1/2 bottle of whisky in one sitting, know all mama sans well, you can earn alot
I know as i work in commodity house before, and go out with Gfi, bcg, acm brokers on boys night out
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2012, 02:14 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Agree, no brains job, must know tok cock sing song, crack silly or dirty jokes, drink 1/2 bottle of whisky in one sitting, know all mama sans well, you can earn alot
I know as i work in commodity house before, and go out with Gfi, bcg, acm brokers on boys night out
is it possible to stay 'pure' in this type of brokerage business? Personally I don't want to betray my gf/wife.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2012, 02:48 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
is it possible to stay 'pure' in this type of brokerage business? Personally I don't want to betray my gf/wife.
Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2012, 04:33 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Then you don't stand a chance in this line... you should go and take up a "clean" government job...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
is it possible to stay 'pure' in this type of brokerage business? Personally I don't want to betray my gf/wife.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone in marine industry? Shipbuilding, ship repair, chartering mi8nami Income and Jobs 4 03-10-2012 11:33 PM
Should I jump ship ??????? Heath Income and Jobs 18 30-08-2012 03:18 PM
anyone heard of Master of Arts in lifelong learning? miwashi Education and Personal Growth 9 04-11-2011 03:34 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
123 Replies, 29,358 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
733 Replies, 363,401 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,384 Replies, 953,362 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,833 Replies, 1,706,188 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,583 Replies, 5,810,490 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,989 Replies, 2,925,474 Views
What is typical RSU and sign on?
5 Replies, 396 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,012 Replies, 794,532 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,527 Replies, 1,075,229 Views
Engineering role in a GLC
0 Replies, 60 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,000 Replies, 3,807,679 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
404 Replies, 262,702 Views
Advisable to volunteer to be...
2 Replies, 956 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
213 Replies, 100,486 Views
Big Four Promotion/Bonus/Incr... ( 1 2 3)
28 Replies, 5,622 Views
Passive income ideas? ( 1 2 3)
23 Replies, 16,659 Views
Anyone applied to MTI before as... ( 1 2 3)
23 Replies, 1,808 Views
Dsta ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
825 Replies, 560,503 Views
Ntu sociology degree ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
59 Replies, 48,381 Views
How much to ask for starting pay... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
87 Replies, 7,766 Views
MAS : Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
219 Replies, 130,068 Views
How to properly manage the income?
4 Replies, 309 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
782 Replies, 237,131 Views
How much does a nurse earn ? ( 1 2)
11 Replies, 20,673 Views
MFA- Foreign Service... ( 1 2)
19 Replies, 2,709 Views
DBS Strategic Advisory
0 Replies, 128 Views
Aircraft Maintenance License and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
641 Replies, 467,406 Views
How to know you are not fit for...
6 Replies, 809 Views
Software developers salary outlier ( 1 2)
11 Replies, 2,089 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
415 Replies, 306,747 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 09:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2