Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Anyone heard of being a ship broker? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1687-anyone-heard-being-ship-broker.html)

Liverpool 24-01-2012 12:28 PM

Anyone heard of being a ship broker?

hows the prospects?

potential shipbroker 18-02-2012 07:35 PM

Any one knows on the prospects of being a shipbroker?

1) Career progression
2) Salary progression
3) qualities needed to excel
4) Future of ship brokering
5) best shipbrokerage to work in
6) a comparison of charterer and shipbroker

Unregistered 24-02-2012 10:20 PM

- Trainee > Broker > Divisional Director
- Salary starting from $3000 to $50K (excluded bonus)
- Min O level
- Great Future

My Ahmad from operation drives a A4.

I drove a humble 5 series.

All best and good luck.

Unregistered 03-03-2012 11:24 AM

anyone has any advise on how to break into shipbroking?

excalibur324 04-04-2012 09:30 PM

ups for ppl more info on shipbroking.

how can to get in if without prior maritime knowledge..

Unregistered 05-04-2012 05:28 AM

I am in chartering/freight trading field (tankers).
Shipbrokers - need tenacity/relationship/communications skill
Prior maritime knowledge - good to have, but can pick up on job
Broking jobs start with stint on Ops to understand how things work & if good, firm will bump u up to be broker.
No life. Good broker works & entertains hard. To excel, do not think about work life balence, especially when you just start. Clientele base & support is everything.
Education - spans from O levels to degree holders. Know some non grads that are doing extremely well in this line; ie, its a people business and being streetwise helps.
Principles these days (charterers & owners) talk direct nowadays and view broking as a necessary evil. Gone are the days when there is co-broking.
Renumeration - trainee takes rubbish. Experienced people can command as high as USD20K/mth excluding comms/bonus. Professional firm setup. Star brokers pulling in more business usually get a much higher cut/basic.

Unregistered 05-04-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23324)
I am in chartering/freight trading field (tankers).
Shipbrokers - need tenacity/relationship/communications skill
Prior maritime knowledge - good to have, but can pick up on job
Broking jobs start with stint on Ops to understand how things work & if good, firm will bump u up to be broker.
No life. Good broker works & entertains hard. To excel, do not think about work life balence, especially when you just start. Clientele base & support is everything.
Education - spans from O levels to degree holders. Know some non grads that are doing extremely well in this line; ie, its a people business and being streetwise helps.
Principles these days (charterers & owners) talk direct nowadays and view broking as a necessary evil. Gone are the days when there is co-broking.
Renumeration - trainee takes rubbish. Experienced people can command as high as USD20K/mth excluding comms/bonus. Professional firm setup. Star brokers pulling in more business usually get a much higher cut/basic.

Agree, no brains job, must know tok cock sing song, crack silly or dirty jokes, drink 1/2 bottle of whisky in one sitting, know all mama sans well, you can earn alot
I know as i work in commodity house before, and go out with Gfi, bcg, acm brokers on boys night out

Unregistered 05-04-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23335)
Agree, no brains job, must know tok cock sing song, crack silly or dirty jokes, drink 1/2 bottle of whisky in one sitting, know all mama sans well, you can earn alot
I know as i work in commodity house before, and go out with Gfi, bcg, acm brokers on boys night out

is it possible to stay 'pure' in this type of brokerage business? Personally I don't want to betray my gf/wife.

Unregistered 05-04-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23345)
is it possible to stay 'pure' in this type of brokerage business? Personally I don't want to betray my gf/wife.

Good luck to you.

Unregistered 05-04-2012 04:33 PM

Then you don't stand a chance in this line... you should go and take up a "clean" government job...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23345)