Cornell vs Cambridge vs SMU - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Cornell vs Cambridge vs SMU

 Citibank Cash Back Card - up to $350 cash back* - Click to Apply Now 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 26-03-2011, 10:45 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6
ipodderz is on a distinguished road
Default Cornell vs Cambridge vs SMU

Hi all,

I have undergrad admission to the 3 universities above. I am deciding which one to choose.

Cornell - 4 years BA Economics (tuition fee S$ 205k)
Cambridge - 3 years - BA Management Studies (tuition fee S$85k)
SMU - 4 years - BS Economics (tuition fee - can tahan)

I come from a family that is not so rich, my father is GM at some large company but he said that he can support me to study. But i really dont want to strain my family finances if I can get a similar education locally. I saw the news that SMU grads earn quite a lot. So I am thinking between SMU and Cambridge. Cornell is quite out of the question, but then again is ivy league amd supposedly one of best universities in the world.

Also at cambridge, its only management studies, which i heard from other people can be quite useless compared to economics. I also prefer to study economics as it is my fav subject. Doing it at SMU will be much cheaper and i heard the job prospects quite good..

Please advise.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 26-03-2011, 11:31 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodderz View Post
Hi all,

I have undergrad admission to the 3 universities above. I am deciding which one to choose.

Cornell - 4 years BA Economics (tuition fee S$ 205k)
Cambridge - 3 years - BA Management Studies (tuition fee S$85k)
SMU - 4 years - BS Economics (tuition fee - can tahan)

I come from a family that is not so rich, my father is GM at some large company but he said that he can support me to study. But i really dont want to strain my family finances if I can get a similar education locally. I saw the news that SMU grads earn quite a lot. So I am thinking between SMU and Cambridge. Cornell is quite out of the question, but then again is ivy league amd supposedly one of best universities in the world.

Also at cambridge, its only management studies, which i heard from other people can be quite useless compared to economics. I also prefer to study economics as it is my fav subject. Doing it at SMU will be much cheaper and i heard the job prospects quite good..

Please advise.
GM at some large company - that's probably quite rich.

My advice: Go Cambridge. The name is very good and 85k sounds pretty affordable. Cornell is good too, but too expensive. If you feel bad, promise your dad you will repay him within 5 years after graduation. You can also work part-time to help out.

After Cambridge, it will be good if you can work in London for a while before going to a good b-school for MBA. At that time you should be able to pay for the fees yourself.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 26-03-2011, 11:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 57
k3vin is on a distinguished road
Default

well... SMU is probably 1/3 of the cambridge fees, but go cambridge. Great chance to go to a top 5 uni in the world

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 27-03-2011, 12:15 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

With all due respect, the unis I'd consider to be on par with oxbridge are HYPWS and maybe LSE. Cornell is out of the question.

Although yes the course sucks. I'd def choose between cornell & cambridge instead of smu if you're looking for work beyond local prospects in the future.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 27-03-2011, 12:50 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6
ipodderz is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
With all due respect, the unis I'd consider to be on par with oxbridge are HYPWS and maybe LSE. Cornell is out of the question.

Although yes the course sucks. I'd def choose between cornell & cambridge instead of smu if you're looking for work beyond local prospects in the future.
Thanks. But what uni is HYPWS?

Why is cornell out of question? If I am not wrong it is considered an ivy league university, which employers quite respect?

The reason why I have SMU in my list is because it is quite likely that I will be working in Singapore or asian region after graduation, and i think SMU reputation is quite good here considering most grads can secure good jobs.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 27-03-2011, 12:51 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6
ipodderz is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
GM at some large company - that's probably quite rich.

My advice: Go Cambridge. The name is very good and 85k sounds pretty affordable. Cornell is good too, but too expensive. If you feel bad, promise your dad you will repay him within 5 years after graduation. You can also work part-time to help out.

After Cambridge, it will be good if you can work in London for a while before going to a good b-school for MBA. At that time you should be able to pay for the fees yourself.
Ok thanks, but I don't think i will need to think that far yet! Havent even got bachelors yet haha.


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iPhone


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 27-03-2011, 01:13 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodderz View Post
Thanks. But what uni is HYPWS?

Why is cornell out of question? If I am not wrong it is considered an ivy league university, which employers quite respect?

The reason why I have SMU in my list is because it is quite likely that I will be working in Singapore or asian region after graduation, and i think SMU reputation is quite good here considering most grads can secure good jobs.
harvard, yale, princeton, wharton(upenn), stanford
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 27-03-2011, 10:02 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

go for the best your family can comfortably afford. so out of this list, probably cambridge? how about considering a scholarship from singapore, or looking into colleague grants/scholarships with no bonds to help with expenses as well?

having gone through school in europe and university in singapore, i would say the latter did very little for me. the overall academic and learning environment is not ideal.

i was accepted into a couple of top UK universities but my parents were far from being to afford it at the time (asian financial, dot com crises) and i am not a scholarship type (the bond alone makes me feel sick)

education should not just be about getting a good job in the future; it's the whole experience of living and learning--and learning to THINK most of all--which in turn could get you a great job

of course if you just want a good/stable job, i guess NTU accountancy type of local courses are okay too
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 27-03-2011, 11:31 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

You shld seriously consider obtaining placement data for Cam grads that majored in Management Studies

That should give you an idea of whether your ROI is worth it

Also, I'm quite surprised you didn't apply to study Econs at Cam. Any reason for that?
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 27-03-2011, 03:56 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodderz View Post
The reason why I have SMU in my list is because it is quite likely that I will be working in Singapore or asian region after graduation, and i think SMU reputation is quite good here considering most grads can secure good jobs.
Cambridge will definitely open more doors for you than an SMU degree.
Management studies vs econs is the least of your concerns.
It is not what you know, but who you know.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bond, bond breaking, cambridge, cornell, moral obligation, smu

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cambridge or local university? Salary.sg Investments and Net Worth 4 18-03-2008 08:10 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Why does Singapore not have a...
9 Replies, 4,788 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,332 Replies, 5,669,089 Views
Band 4 and Band 5 in Standard... ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 2,351 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,187 Replies, 2,736,386 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,728 Replies, 1,644,724 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,947 Replies, 1,102,737 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,825 Replies, 282,915 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
409 Replies, 295,178 Views
Retiring in Taiwan
5 Replies, 300 Views
Job offer from Apple ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
471 Replies, 91,659 Views
Entry requirements to get into...
3 Replies, 392 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
113 Replies, 34,069 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,284 Replies, 1,004,289 Views
Aircraft Maintenance License and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
610 Replies, 461,745 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,345 Replies, 1,934,972 Views
I need honest advice. Jump to... ( 1 2 3)
20 Replies, 2,333 Views
Anyone worked in singhealth/nhg? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
49 Replies, 71,301 Views
How To Find Rich & Elite In...
2 Replies, 274 Views
Working in HDB ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
345 Replies, 268,225 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,950 Replies, 3,757,626 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
102 Replies, 18,550 Views
Pay grade at CSA ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
110 Replies, 28,879 Views
need some info on CNB ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 1,251 Views
Citibank Technology Analyst Program
9 Replies, 4,029 Views
Advantages
1 Replies, 910 Views
Private Banking Salaries ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
77 Replies, 101,527 Views
Mid-Year Civil Servant Bonus 2019 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,654 Replies, 790,735 Views
Ntu sociology degree ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
57 Replies, 47,638 Views
Corporate Banking Analyst
7 Replies, 724 Views
How much do you need to retire...
6 Replies, 329 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2