Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Cornell vs Cambridge vs SMU
View Single Post
Old 26-03-2011, 11:31 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodderz View Post
Hi all,

I have undergrad admission to the 3 universities above. I am deciding which one to choose.

Cornell - 4 years BA Economics (tuition fee S$ 205k)
Cambridge - 3 years - BA Management Studies (tuition fee S$85k)
SMU - 4 years - BS Economics (tuition fee - can tahan)

I come from a family that is not so rich, my father is GM at some large company but he said that he can support me to study. But i really dont want to strain my family finances if I can get a similar education locally. I saw the news that SMU grads earn quite a lot. So I am thinking between SMU and Cambridge. Cornell is quite out of the question, but then again is ivy league amd supposedly one of best universities in the world.

Also at cambridge, its only management studies, which i heard from other people can be quite useless compared to economics. I also prefer to study economics as it is my fav subject. Doing it at SMU will be much cheaper and i heard the job prospects quite good..

Please advise.
GM at some large company - that's probably quite rich.

My advice: Go Cambridge. The name is very good and 85k sounds pretty affordable. Cornell is good too, but too expensive. If you feel bad, promise your dad you will repay him within 5 years after graduation. You can also work part-time to help out.

After Cambridge, it will be good if you can work in London for a while before going to a good b-school for MBA. At that time you should be able to pay for the fees yourself.