Entering medicine field with unrelated diploma? - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Education and Personal Growth

Education and Personal Growth Schools, further studies, getting ready for employment, and motivation stuff




Entering medicine field with unrelated diploma?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-11-2018, 02:32 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 2
Skyzfoxx is on a distinguished road
Smile Entering medicine field with unrelated diploma?

Hi guys. So I'm actually interested in the medical field and was thinking of applying for NTU or NUS medicine undergraduate. But because i did not know what to study before going into poly, i took mechanical engineering specializing in biomedical in Ngee ann poly. As I chose the FYP route, i have a specialization in biomedical. I am in my third year, final semester now too. GPA wise, I didn't really have fantastic gpa from the beginning. My current gpa was from
Sem 1 - 2.2
Sem 2 - 2.6
Sem 3 - 3
Sem 4 - 3.4
Sem 5 - 3.9 ( A for FYP )
Sem 6 - Ongoing
I didn't have a good gpa initially as lots of life issues like my dad passing away had demoralized me, therefore i had no motivation to study at all. Hence, I would like to ask if entering/switching to the medical field is even a good choice? And if its even possible for me to enter the undergraduate programme from NUS/NTU or would i have to go overseas to pursue this career?

Thanks for everyone responses in advance!

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-11-2018, 02:48 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 2
Skyzfoxx is on a distinguished road
Default

By the way as part of my FYP, i had interned in SGH for 1 month and i am now partnering with SGH to create 2 products as i took 2 fyp projects if that helps. Thank you!

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-11-2018, 06:49 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

u hav no chance. u need a related diploma and overall 3.9 GPA to even get a shot at the interviews for NUS/NTU. your only chance is to spend 250k+ and try to find a lesser known OZ/UK university.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2018, 12:00 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyzfoxx View Post
By the way as part of my FYP, i had interned in SGH for 1 month and i am now partnering with SGH to create 2 products as i took 2 fyp projects if that helps. Thank you!
Creating two products is excellent. Shows that you are versatile, have great softskills and great hard skills.

Essential for modern day medical practice, collaborative interdisciplinary.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2018, 11:32 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyzfoxx View Post
Hi guys. So I'm actually interested in the medical field and was thinking of applying for NTU or NUS medicine undergraduate. But because i did not know what to study before going into poly, i took mechanical engineering specializing in biomedical in Ngee ann poly. As I chose the FYP route, i have a specialization in biomedical. I am in my third year, final semester now too. GPA wise, I didn't really have fantastic gpa from the beginning. My current gpa was from
Sem 1 - 2.2
Sem 2 - 2.6
Sem 3 - 3
Sem 4 - 3.4
Sem 5 - 3.9 ( A for FYP )
Sem 6 - Ongoing
I didn't have a good gpa initially as lots of life issues like my dad passing away had demoralized me, therefore i had no motivation to study at all. Hence, I would like to ask if entering/switching to the medical field is even a good choice? And if its even possible for me to enter the undergraduate programme from NUS/NTU or would i have to go overseas to pursue this career?

Thanks for everyone responses in advance!
Your foundation is very weak.. To even be shortlisted for interview for medicine, your overall GPA must be 3.9x

Even for A levels, IGP for 10th percentile was AAA/A. Those who could make it into medicine ended up being in dentistry or pharmacy where the 10th percentile was also AAA/A.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-12-2018, 12:55 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Your foundation is very weak.. To even be shortlisted for interview for medicine, your overall GPA must be 3.9x

Even for A levels, IGP for 10th percentile was AAA/A. Those who could make it into medicine ended up being in dentistry or pharmacy where the 10th percentile was also AAA/A.
Can go via discretionary admission. Furthermore his GPA is on the ascent. I see no reason why he can't be admitted if his bmat score is 7.0.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
degree, engineering, health, medicine, polytechnic

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Career in the SEO field ephemeral Income and Jobs 3 05-05-2021 10:19 PM
ELP to Diploma in Pharmacy or ELP to Diploma in IT aaa1994 Education and Personal Growth 0 18-01-2018 08:43 PM
Preventive Medicine Residency after Housemanship? paintballtao Income and Jobs 0 02-08-2013 01:19 PM
Is IT an ok field? dryden28 Income and Jobs 14 17-09-2010 08:41 AM
Engineering vs Medicine yings Education and Personal Growth 6 16-03-2010 08:04 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
454 Replies, 240,233 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,133 Replies, 563,905 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,600 Replies, 2,022,041 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,217 Replies, 8,902,942 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,186 Replies, 2,401,009 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,128 Replies, 253,121 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,755 Replies, 955,828 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
501 Replies, 140,473 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,060 Replies, 2,930,179 Views
Official 2022 Retrechment thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
76 Replies, 7,660 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,613 Replies, 3,092,962 Views
Micron starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
429 Replies, 159,993 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,790 Replies, 844,481 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,616 Replies, 3,495,475 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
230 Replies, 251,550 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
957 Replies, 629,940 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
17,128 Replies, 6,429,978 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,133 Replies, 296,956 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,172 Replies, 853,155 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,300 Replies, 707,515 Views
ByteDance / TikTok ( 1 2)
17 Replies, 3,853 Views
2022 Full time/Summer internship... ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 2,298 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,969 Replies, 1,920,087 Views
Open Government Products (under...
9 Replies, 958 Views
Want to Save More Money? Our Free...
6 Replies, 8,485 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,379 Replies, 2,296,377 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
331 Replies, 222,562 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
91 Replies, 131,049 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,155 Replies, 517,559 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,279 Replies, 1,496,615 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 07:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2