Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Education and Personal Growth (https://forums.salary.sg/education-personal-growth/)
-   -   Entering medicine field with unrelated diploma? (https://forums.salary.sg/education-personal-growth/11054-entering-medicine-field-unrelated-diploma.html)

Skyzfoxx 11-11-2018 02:32 AM

Entering medicine field with unrelated diploma?

Hi guys. So I'm actually interested in the medical field and was thinking of applying for NTU or NUS medicine undergraduate. But because i did not know what to study before going into poly, i took mechanical engineering specializing in biomedical in Ngee ann poly. As I chose the FYP route, i have a specialization in biomedical. I am in my third year, final semester now too. GPA wise, I didn't really have fantastic gpa from the beginning. My current gpa was from
Sem 1 - 2.2
Sem 2 - 2.6
Sem 3 - 3
Sem 4 - 3.4
Sem 5 - 3.9 ( A for FYP )
Sem 6 - Ongoing
I didn't have a good gpa initially as lots of life issues like my dad passing away had demoralized me, therefore i had no motivation to study at all. Hence, I would like to ask if entering/switching to the medical field is even a good choice? And if its even possible for me to enter the undergraduate programme from NUS/NTU or would i have to go overseas to pursue this career?

Thanks for everyone responses in advance!

Skyzfoxx 11-11-2018 02:48 AM

By the way as part of my FYP, i had interned in SGH for 1 month and i am now partnering with SGH to create 2 products as i took 2 fyp projects if that helps. Thank you!

Unregistered 11-11-2018 06:49 AM

u hav no chance. u need a related diploma and overall 3.9 GPA to even get a shot at the interviews for NUS/NTU. your only chance is to spend 250k+ and try to find a lesser known OZ/UK university.

Unregistered 09-12-2018 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyzfoxx (Post 111546)
By the way as part of my FYP, i had interned in SGH for 1 month and i am now partnering with SGH to create 2 products as i took 2 fyp projects if that helps. Thank you!

Creating two products is excellent. Shows that you are versatile, have great softskills and great hard skills.

Essential for modern day medical practice, collaborative interdisciplinary.

Unregistered 09-12-2018 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyzfoxx (Post 111545)
Hi guys. So I'm actually interested in the medical field and was thinking of applying for NTU or NUS medicine undergraduate. But because i did not know what to study before going into poly, i took mechanical engineering specializing in biomedical in Ngee ann poly. As I chose the FYP route, i have a specialization in biomedical. I am in my third year, final semester now too. GPA wise, I didn't really have fantastic gpa from the beginning. My current gpa was from
Sem 1 - 2.2
Sem 2 - 2.6
Sem 3 - 3
Sem 4 - 3.4
Sem 5 - 3.9 ( A for FYP )
Sem 6 - Ongoing
I didn't have a good gpa initially as lots of life issues like my dad passing away had demoralized me, therefore i had no motivation to study at all. Hence, I would like to ask if entering/switching to the medical field is even a good choice? And if its even possible for me to enter the undergraduate programme from NUS/NTU or would i have to go overseas to pursue this career?

Thanks for everyone responses in advance!

Your foundation is very weak.. To even be shortlisted for interview for medicine, your overall GPA must be 3.9x

Even for A levels, IGP for 10th percentile was AAA/A. Those who could make it into medicine ended up being in dentistry or pharmacy where the 10th percentile was also AAA/A.

Unregistered 10-12-2018 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 112298)
Your foundation is very weak.. To even be shortlisted for interview for medicine, your overall GPA must be 3.9x

Even for A levels, IGP for 10th percentile was AAA/A. Those who could make it into medicine ended up being in dentistry or pharmacy where the 10th percentile was also AAA/A.

Can go via discretionary admission. Furthermore his GPA is on the ascent. I see no reason why he can't be admitted if his bmat score is 7.0.