How much savings do you have? - Page 84 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Investments and Net Worth

Investments and Net Worth Talk all about money making exploits, shares, property and building net worth




How much savings do you have?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #831 (permalink)  
Old 27-11-2014, 01:58 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Singapore has one of the highest savings rate in the world

Rate is pegged at 24%.

According to Barclays, despite Singapore’s higher level of household debt to GDP, they believe Singapore households are more defensive than Hong Kong households in the event of liquidity outflow and potential asset quality deterioration of the consumer book.

This is because of Singapore’s high savings rate, access to CPF funds to repay housing debt and high proportion of liquid household assets (in currency and deposits).

Here's more from Barclays:

Singapore has one of the highest savings rates in the world at 24%, behind China and India, which arguably have less developed social security systems and pension schemes.

In comparison, Hong Kong’s savings rate is only 14%. As a result, we believe Singaporeans are better positioned to better tap into accumulated wealth to repay debt.

While property assets account for the bulk of household assets (49% of total), the proportion of liquid assets, namely cash and deposits, continues to rise and accounted for 19% of total household assets in Singapore in 2013.

Household cash and deposits relative to household debt has risen from 0.8x in 2002 to 1.2x, implying that households have a much stronger capacity to repay debt with liquid assets.

Singapore’s strong liquidity household assets to debt position provides an additional buffer to a potential debt servicing problems in the event of an economic downturn or when interest rates rise, in our view.

Reply With Quote
  #832 (permalink)  
Old 27-11-2014, 03:29 PM
Fin Fin is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 4
Fin is on a distinguished road
Default

Both husband & wife in Early 40's.

Cash = 16k
CPF = 155k
Stocks = 100k

Combine income = 96k per annum

4 room HDB (fully paid)
Car loan = 1k per month (fully paid in another 4yrs time)

Recently bought a shoe box unit at 680k for investment.
How healthy are we in our finances?

Reply With Quote
  #833 (permalink)  
Old 27-11-2014, 05:52 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

You have done pretty well since you own two properties. Not many families own multiple properties. How much loan did you take for your condo? Are you both local graduates?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin View Post
Both husband & wife in Early 40's.

Cash = 16k
CPF = 155k
Stocks = 100k

Combine income = 96k per annum

4 room HDB (fully paid)
Car loan = 1k per month (fully paid in another 4yrs time)

Recently bought a shoe box unit at 680k for investment.
How healthy are we in our finances?

Reply With Quote
  #834 (permalink)  
Old 27-11-2014, 09:58 PM
Fin Fin is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 4
Fin is on a distinguished road
Default

Yes, both of us are local Graduates.
We took a 80% loan.
Reply With Quote
  #835 (permalink)  
Old 28-11-2014, 06:03 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin View Post
Yes, both of us are local Graduates.
We took a 80% loan.
Your combined net worth would be about $800k assuming your flat is now worth $400k. By the time you retire in 25 years time, your sources of passive income are:

1. Rental from condo (paid up at 65) maybe $3k pm.
2. CPF Life maybe $1.5k each or $3k pm combined.
3. Allowance from children $1k pm combined.
4. Room rental from HDB flat, $1k per room or $2k for 2 rooms.
5. Stocks dividends $12k pa or $1k pm.

Total passive income $10k pm.
Expenses (just two retired persons) $4k pm (assume no maid and no car).
Savings $6k pm (reinvested in dividend stocks to give higher dividend income).

Summary: You are a high achiever and will retire well.
Reply With Quote
  #836 (permalink)  
Old 28-11-2014, 07:22 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Husband and Wife :Early 40s (Both Working)

Combine Cash : 1.8M
CPF (OA and SA) :450K
House : Loan 2.4 M, Value 5 M (Paper Profit from properties about 2M after flipping 2 properties to the current one)

Looking to diversify into passive income (Mixture of bonds, fd and trading). Time to let the money work for us instead of the other way round.
Reply With Quote

  #837 (permalink)  
Old 28-11-2014, 07:36 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Husband and Wife :Early 40s (Both Working)

Combine Cash : 1.8M
CPF (OA and SA) :450K
House : Loan 2.4 M, Value 5 M (Paper Profit from properties about 2M after flipping 2 properties to the current one)

Looking to diversify into passive income (Mixture of bonds, fd and trading). Time to let the money work for us instead of the other way round.
You can both retire or be your own boss so that you don't have to be a slave to someone else, worse if he is younger than you.

Sell your landed and downgrade to a $850k condo. Invest the balance of $4m in 5% dividend yield blue chip stocks to give you a passive income of $200k pa. If your expenses is $100k pa, you can save and reinvest $100k pa. By the time you reach 65, your net worth will be $10m. You will be a multi millionaire.
Reply With Quote
  #838 (permalink)  
Old 28-11-2014, 10:12 AM
Fin Fin is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 4
Fin is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Your combined net worth would be about $800k assuming your flat is now worth $400k. By the time you retire in 25 years time, your sources of passive income are:

1. Rental from condo (paid up at 65) maybe $3k pm.
2. CPF Life maybe $1.5k each or $3k pm combined.
3. Allowance from children $1k pm combined.
4. Room rental from HDB flat, $1k per room or $2k for 2 rooms.
5. Stocks dividends $12k pa or $1k pm.

Total passive income $10k pm.
Expenses (just two retired persons) $4k pm (assume no maid and no car).
Savings $6k pm (reinvested in dividend stocks to give higher dividend income).

Summary: You are a high achiever and will retire well.


Sounds cool... What if there is another scenario:

We sell the shoebox condo in 5 to 6 years time & re-invest in a much higher property.. say approx. 900k.

Bearing in mind our current age & the reduction in CPF contribution comes 55 years. What would our financial health status be like?
Reply With Quote
  #839 (permalink)  
Old 28-11-2014, 01:41 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin View Post
Sounds cool... What if there is another scenario:

We sell the shoebox condo in 5 to 6 years time & re-invest in a much higher property.. say approx. 900k.

Bearing in mind our current age & the reduction in CPF contribution comes 55 years. What would our financial health status be like?
Not a good idea. The more expensive the condo the higher the risk. Focus on clearing the mortgage. Once you own the shoebox without any loan, you can sleep in peace even if you both lost your jobs.

What are you both working as? Which sectors? How secure are your jobs?
Reply With Quote
  #840 (permalink)  
Old 28-11-2014, 03:14 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I put $38k to stock in 2012. Now my portfolio has grown to $130k. I have done some shifting here and there.
So i think it is better to put more "idle" cash into stock to let it grows.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
condo, cpf, house, retirement, savings, shares, stocks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Not enough savings for retirement Salary.sg Investments and Net Worth 0 14-05-2007 07:59 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,824 Replies, 2,306,216 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,208 Replies, 6,850,014 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,077 Replies, 5,110,860 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,351 Replies, 3,465,955 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
745 Replies, 415,688 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,684 Replies, 2,392,999 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,825 Replies, 1,448,537 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
21,159 Replies, 10,474,121 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
419 Replies, 502,378 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,161 Replies, 3,806,541 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,350 Replies, 1,167,437 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,037 Replies, 1,088,710 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,902 Replies, 4,731,524 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,284 Replies, 639,281 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,441 Replies, 12,603,901 Views
Julius Baer Graduate Program 2023 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
31 Replies, 16,962 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,768 Replies, 1,519,227 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,811 Replies, 1,579,976 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,489 Replies, 806,898 Views
Maritime and Port Authority of... ( 1 2 3)
20 Replies, 20,218 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
825 Replies, 389,926 Views
NUS (National University of... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
323 Replies, 328,227 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,503 Replies, 1,403,564 Views
DBS ACE Programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
163 Replies, 83,263 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,057 Replies, 452,473 Views
ITE (lecturer) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
279 Replies, 393,562 Views
Any Ministry or Statboard still... ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 12,673 Views
Work culture in CPF board ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
34 Replies, 78,049 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
722 Replies, 554,863 Views
Private Banking Salaries ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
83 Replies, 139,261 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 12:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2