How much savings do you have? - Page 85 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Investments and Net Worth

Investments and Net Worth Talk all about money making exploits, shares, property and building net worth




How much savings do you have?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #841 (permalink)  
Old 28-11-2014, 06:42 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

47, sole bread winner, salary $65k pa. Wife is a housewife. One son. Our home is a cosy 3 bedroom flat. Paid up the flat a few years ago since we bought at a very low price. Goes to work by MRT. Luckily our home is next to an LRT station which brings me to the nearest MRT station. Now focusing on saving up my CPF and in cash. When I retire, we plan to rent out our one spare room (after son got married and move out) and also getting payout from my CPF Life. Also will spend some money from my savings.

From this forum, we also got some good ideas on retiring overseas. One possible idea is we can rent out our whole flat for $2500 pm. Plus my CPF Life monthly payout of $1200, I will get $3700 pm and if we convert to RM, we will get RM9500 pm in passive income. We can rent a 3 bedroom condo in JB for only RM1000 (due to oversupply of empty properties in JB) and our spending in retirement will only be RM5000 in total. We can then save the rest.

Reply With Quote
  #842 (permalink)  
Old 29-11-2014, 11:47 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

We Singaporeans are lucky that we get to buy very cheap BTO which we can pay off easily. Our flat then becomes our retirement asset. Our CPF Life system is also good as we will get a monthly amount when we reach 65. A retired couple who meet the minimum sum will get $2400 in total every month. So if we retire overseas and rent our flat at $2600 pm, we will get $5000 in passive income. This is a lot of money if we retire in Malaysia or Thailand (Chiang Mai, Koh Samui, Phuket, Krabi). If we retire in places like Chiang Mai, Phuket or Krabi, we can enjoy sitting by the beautiful beaches everyday. How nice!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
47, sole bread winner, salary $65k pa. Wife is a housewife. One son. Our home is a cosy 3 bedroom flat. Paid up the flat a few years ago since we bought at a very low price. Goes to work by MRT. Luckily our home is next to an LRT station which brings me to the nearest MRT station. Now focusing on saving up my CPF and in cash. When I retire, we plan to rent out our one spare room (after son got married and move out) and also getting payout from my CPF Life. Also will spend some money from my savings.

From this forum, we also got some good ideas on retiring overseas. One possible idea is we can rent out our whole flat for $2500 pm. Plus my CPF Life monthly payout of $1200, I will get $3700 pm and if we convert to RM, we will get RM9500 pm in passive income. We can rent a 3 bedroom condo in JB for only RM1000 (due to oversupply of empty properties in JB) and our spending in retirement will only be RM5000 in total. We can then save the rest.


Reply With Quote
  #843 (permalink)  
Old 29-11-2014, 09:39 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The more important question is are you happy with your life? Are you happy with your work and how your career is progressing?

If you are happy, dont go and compare here and there. There will always be someone doing better than you. The quickest way to destroy happiness is to compare with others and find that they are doing better, are richer, have nice cars, big homes, travel business class and have special privileges.

I have a colleague who was so happy receiving his bonus that he gave his other colleagues a treat only to find out later that among the 5 of them, all the others have higher bonuses. He immediately became moody and angry.
i disagree. going by your opinion, this forum should be shut down because people are posting savings and assets and for the purpose of? At the end of the day, no matter how we sugar coat it, we are still comparing with each other.

Look on the brighter side though - at least the guy knows what caused him to be moody, and it's somewhat justifiable because money though can't buy happiness, is without any saying so impt. There are some people out there who doesn't even know what is causing them to be moody everyday!

And pls don't start on self-actualisation.

Reply With Quote
  #844 (permalink)  
Old 29-11-2014, 10:23 PM
Fin Fin is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 4
Fin is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Not a good idea. The more expensive the condo the higher the risk. Focus on clearing the mortgage. Once you own the shoebox without any loan, you can sleep in peace even if you both lost your jobs.

What are you both working as? Which sectors? How secure are your jobs?
Hi,
Other than the job security risk, what other potential issues will I be likely to face?
Reply With Quote
  #845 (permalink)  
Old 29-11-2014, 10:47 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin View Post
Hi,
Other than the job security risk, what other potential issues will I be likely to face?
Critical illness, accident

Economic crisis, oversupply of properties which make your condo empty for years, interest rates shoots up

Just to name a few

To mitigate the risks, you need to have insurance

You also need lots of cash buffers that can service your condo loan in case there are no tenants.

Do you have all these into consideration when you invest?
Reply With Quote
  #846 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2014, 11:01 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I'm 45 and don't have much savings. My cash savings is $20k only and my CPF is only $140k. Am I doing ok? I earn only $50k pa.
Reply With Quote

  #847 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2014, 11:16 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

20K savings at age 45 is dicey. But there is always hope. As long as you are healthy and willing to work hard, you will survive. And you wont be alone working till 70, you will have many fellow elderly Singaporeans working alongside you. Even now, you can see many elderly people (over 60 yr olds) working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm 45 and don't have much savings. My cash savings is $20k only and my CPF is only $140k. Am I doing ok? I earn only $50k pa.
Reply With Quote
  #848 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2014, 03:12 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
20K savings at age 45 is dicey. But there is always hope. As long as you are healthy and willing to work hard, you will survive. And you wont be alone working till 70, you will have many fellow elderly Singaporeans working alongside you. Even now, you can see many elderly people (over 60 yr olds) working.
Thanks. I love working because I will be bored staying at home. When I'm working at least my movement will be less controlled. I look forward to working till I am 80. I enjoy meeting new people and doing new jobs. I don't really enjoy relaxing at home, watching movies nor traveling.
Reply With Quote
  #849 (permalink)  
Old 02-01-2015, 06:17 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Cash $42,000
Stocks $26,000
Debt $0 bec no car, no house..

Single, female, 26, current salary $3800 (havent minus cpf...), diploma/degree fully paid by self.

My first full time salary was $2000 when i was 22..
Reply With Quote
  #850 (permalink)  
Old 02-01-2015, 08:03 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Cash $42,000
Stocks $26,000
Debt $0 bec no car, no house..

Single, female, 26, current salary $3800 (havent minus cpf...), diploma/degree fully paid by self.

My first full time salary was $2000 when i was 22..
are you planning to get married soon?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
condo, cpf, house, retirement, savings, shares, stocks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Not enough savings for retirement Salary.sg Investments and Net Worth 0 14-05-2007 07:59 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,350 Replies, 580,242 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
126 Replies, 59,406 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,748 Replies, 1,301,735 Views
How is HTX Associate Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
32 Replies, 7,992 Views
All about Home Affairs Senior... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
183 Replies, 209,242 Views
GovTech Tech Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
73 Replies, 37,478 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,024 Replies, 2,518,451 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
13,867 Replies, 4,659,959 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,036 Replies, 529,028 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,669 Replies, 7,379,522 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
884 Replies, 229,539 Views
UBS Financial Services Industry... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
633 Replies, 143,235 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,101 Replies, 2,538,969 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,852 Replies, 613,209 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,023 Replies, 742,010 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
564 Replies, 446,346 Views
Citibank Singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
144 Replies, 101,822 Views
Cybersecurity/Info security career ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
128 Replies, 37,225 Views
If you can't find a company here... ( 1 2)
18 Replies, 1,816 Views
GIC (Government of Singapore... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
333 Replies, 455,830 Views
Grab Finance Graduate Programme...
3 Replies, 250 Views
Heineken APAC Graduate Programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
276 Replies, 135,811 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
740 Replies, 204,302 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,724 Replies, 4,369,360 Views
Starting Pay for CS/Ministries... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
250 Replies, 113,075 Views
DXC Technology
0 Replies, 72 Views
Y Ventures Group
0 Replies, 43 Views
Breaking the Letter Of Commitment... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
33 Replies, 26,845 Views
Tax ( 1 2 3)
22 Replies, 9,133 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
458 Replies, 279,618 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 03:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2