Compare civil service salary - Page 93 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Compare civil service salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #921 (permalink)  
Old 03-06-2011, 02:21 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Question to ask!

Is PI = promotional increment? Is it you only get the PI when you get promoted (let say from MX12 to MX11)? If otherwise, in normal year where you do not get promoted, you only just get the MI (merit increment)??

Is MI(merit increment = annual increment)?
hihi,

yup, MI = merit increment = annual increment. PI = promotion increment. That is my understand also. normal year without promo is MI only, with promo is PI + MI.

Reply With Quote
  #922 (permalink)  
Old 03-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
hihi,

yup, MI = merit increment = annual increment. PI = promotion increment. That is my understand also. normal year without promo is MI only, with promo is PI + MI.
so normally for "C" grade performer

Let say during a particular year he got promoted,

Then he is entitled PI + MI

so how much is the PI when promoted from MX12 to MX11, how many % or how much is the fix quantum?

also how much is the MI for "C" grade performer

Reply With Quote
  #923 (permalink)  
Old 03-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I'm a soon to be out of job securities dealer looking for an entry-level position in the civil service. Would appreciate some advice on my chances and the likely salary in the government sector.

Reply With Quote
  #924 (permalink)  
Old 03-06-2011, 05:45 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default re - securities dealer

the term securities dealer is really vague.

1. what type of FI - broker, bank, hedge fund, local or otherwise?
2. job scope - executions (baseline), market-making, risk taking?

the analytical scope/depth at each level and each setting is very different.

Also, what are your academic qualifications?
Reply With Quote
  #925 (permalink)  
Old 03-06-2011, 05:55 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default and btw securities dealer -

my own 2 cents -

the civil / public service, in the ideal sense, should not be treated like a dumping ground just cause you're going to get retrenched?

if you were doing well in finance, the pay is not even a consideration for such a switch: it will never be comparable.

even if you were to do personal account trading you can make much more than the starting pay.

certainly you can find other reasons to want to join???
Reply With Quote
  #926 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2011, 12:03 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Mid term scholarship career prospects better than normal entrant?

Hi all,

I was talking with my friend this afternoon. And he got a mid term scholarship with one of the stat boards. Basically the people there told him his career path already set, so no worries, since he's scholar.

Now I was always under the impression that mid term scholarship is no big deal one, but this really makes me rethink strategy? I always thought only PSC or those overseas scholarships give you excellent career prospects, are mid term ones also like the PSC ones?
Reply With Quote

  #927 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi all,

I was talking with my friend this afternoon. And he got a mid term scholarship with one of the stat boards. Basically the people there told him his career path already set, so no worries, since he's scholar.

Now I was always under the impression that mid term scholarship is no big deal one, but this really makes me rethink strategy? I always thought only PSC or those overseas scholarships give you excellent career prospects, are mid term ones also like the PSC ones?
got better than none. promotions are based mainly on CEP which in the case of scholars are high.
Reply With Quote
  #928 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2011, 01:44 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
got better than none. promotions are based mainly on CEP which in the case of scholars are high.
Even those short bonds also will have higher CEP?

So let's say i'm going to get at least a second uppers, then towards graduation should I be signing up for a stat board mid term scholarship, or should I enter directly after I graduate in Mindef?
Reply With Quote
  #929 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
the term securities dealer is really vague.

1. what type of FI - broker, bank, hedge fund, local or otherwise?
2. job scope - executions (baseline), market-making, risk taking?

the analytical scope/depth at each level and each setting is very different.

Also, what are your academic qualifications?
Was doing equities execution and advisory services in a broking house for about 4 years.

B. Science (Building) 3rd class Hons
Reply With Quote
  #930 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2011, 04:21 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
my own 2 cents -

the civil / public service, in the ideal sense, should not be treated like a dumping ground just cause you're going to get retrenched?

if you were doing well in finance, the pay is not even a consideration for such a switch: it will never be comparable.

even if you were to do personal account trading you can make much more than the starting pay.

certainly you can find other reasons to want to join???
The company has offered other positions but I don't see it getting anywhere. I spent the last 4 years getting overworked and underpaid, looking to call time.

Personality-wise and in terms of job security, I find the civil service a good fit. Looking forward to contributing towards a public sector that's more intuned with the ground.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
civil servants, civil service, government, law, lawyer, mx scale, public sector, scholar, scholarship, superscale

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Civil Service Pay - Director level curious Income and Jobs 140 06-07-2017 02:14 PM
Civil Service Bonus 2007 Salary.sg Income and Jobs 9 18-03-2010 12:42 PM
High Earners In Civil Service Salary.sg Income and Jobs 29 28-04-2009 10:29 AM
HK civil service salary hike Salary.sg Income and Jobs 5 21-11-2008 11:57 PM
Civil Service Bonus mid-2008 Salary.sg Income and Jobs 6 15-07-2008 01:40 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,569 Replies, 1,250,743 Views
Q: Management Associate at SGX ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
83 Replies, 11,723 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
923 Replies, 739,038 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
328 Replies, 240,207 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,295 Replies, 234,206 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,815 Replies, 1,057,110 Views
Cold calls/emails to HR ( 1 2)
10 Replies, 1,002 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,656 Replies, 5,445,779 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
79 Replies, 62,101 Views
ITE lecturer ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
121 Replies, 113,624 Views
Insurance Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
60 Replies, 16,155 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,699 Replies, 2,380,005 Views
Diploma in Digital Marketing at...
2 Replies, 977 Views
Mask price discount in cb period
0 Replies, 26 Views
Marsh Graduate Development Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
43 Replies, 4,173 Views
Pay grade at CSA ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
102 Replies, 23,544 Views
All about Home Affairs Senior... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
168 Replies, 169,199 Views
Local Uni Class of 2020 - COVID19... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
244 Replies, 45,907 Views
Whats your net worth ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,710 Replies, 779,721 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,156 Replies, 879,102 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,207 Replies, 1,858,366 Views
Dentist Salary
7 Replies, 6,031 Views
Fresh Grad from local U cant find... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
55 Replies, 10,332 Views
Our Poll Results: 45% Fresh... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
47 Replies, 21,170 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
124 Replies, 81,589 Views
Dsta ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
803 Replies, 533,474 Views
Possible to earn passive income... ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 2,315 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,974 Replies, 917,266 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
79 Replies, 13,491 Views
Salary working for SEA FP&A... ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 1,492 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 10:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2