Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Really that bad for engineers?

Old 29-11-2012, 09:52 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i am 30 this year, 5 years exp, 1st company only, can't even hit 4k, NTU 2.2 engineering...

question:
being in current company (oil and gas) as a project engineer(now manager), do you have work life balance? how often you leave on the dot? weekend burn?
Yes i think i have work life balance.

On normal days, i work the regular hours. We do not have a work OT culture.
But when it comes to a difficult project, then we will be working more. Have to monitor emails from home. Fly in short notice. But thats not too often

Old 29-11-2012, 09:57 AM

poor and stupid is on a distinguished road

Ok, it seems like a lot of "unregistered" and "guest" who duno working as what are bashing me.

And some other "engineers" claiming to have a "decent" pay. OK, chemcial, mech, civil in O&G are high paid, i give you that. But some line of "engineering" really is to the dogs now.

I am from "electronics" like the most of everyone who studied "engineering" and i can tell you the pay sux for consumer and industrial electronics. *i am now waiting for someone who does military/avionics to bash me.

If i want to say even something remotely good about electronics "engineering"; its, easy to get hire and you get to play forums everyday.

4 times i leave my job for side projects then decided to get back... I get hired and started working the start of next month...of cos pay is low la thats why everyone can hire for fun mah

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 29-11-2012, 10:02 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by poor and stupid View Post
Ok, it seems like a lot of "unregistered" and "guest" who duno working as what are bashing me.

And some other "engineers" claiming to have a "decent" pay. OK, chemcial, mech, civil in O&G are high paid, i give you that. But some line of "engineering" really is to the dogs now.

I am from "electronics" like the most of everyone who studied "engineering" and i can tell you the pay sux for consumer and industrial electronics. *i am now waiting for someone who does military/avionics to bash me.

If i want to say even something remotely good about electronics "engineering"; its, easy to get hire and you get to play forums everyday.

4 times i leave my job for side projects then decided to get back... I get hired and started working the start of next month...of cos pay is low la thats why everyone can hire for fun mah
then probably the whole thread should be about electronic engineering being no good.

You should not have said engineering in general because that is wrong

Old 29-11-2012, 10:13 AM
metalX

Quote:
Originally Posted by poor and stupid View Post

Except for the project manager in O&G who quoted 12k, the rest of the engineering folks (inc me) here claim fairly reasonable pay around the 5k region. This is actually "decent" for a mid career fresh grad to the best of my knowledge.

You are the one who keeps crapping nonsense and try to degrade engineers by comparing them to 3k dishwasher, 7k taxi drivers and now the latest 8k data entry clerks under the pretext that you are advising engineering youngsters on their career for alturistic reasons. You are one shameless buffon.

You & I & everyone else knows this is rubbish & just brings one to a natural conclusion - why the fcuk are you still in engineering then? You can just rent a taxi get your 7k or head down to Recruit Express and ask them to get you a 8k data entry job right?
Old 29-11-2012, 10:17 AM
metalX

Quote:
Chill it bro, just ignore poor and stupid. This chap has some psychological issue and is well-known for spamming all topics here with his anti engineering rant. Ignore can already.
Hi thanks for the que. I know this idiot is a well known troll. By responding to him, I am hoping that other youngster or undergrads who have a passion for engineering have another perspective of what being an engineer means in terms of pay and not give up their interest because of some one-sided bitching from a huckster.
Old 29-11-2012, 12:09 PM
Unregistered

Engineering is nowhere as bad as what a lot of layman claim it is. The problem is that people keep trying to compare it to jobs in high finance. Fact is if you're in engineering, you should be getting an above average pay compared to your peers in other industries with equal or better work-life balance.

Old 29-11-2012, 02:05 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Engineering is nowhere as bad as what a lot of layman claim it is. The problem is that people keep trying to compare it to jobs in high finance. Fact is if you're in engineering, you should be getting an above average pay compared to your peers in other industries with equal or better work-life balance.
Agree but he is not even comparing to high finance, he say he only want a data entry job pay of 8k woh!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poor and stupid
Actually no nid 10k, at least match us with those data entry jobs pay!! (like 8k)
Old 29-11-2012, 09:19 PM
Unregistered

Taxi drivers 7k

Dish washers 3k
Old 30-11-2012, 02:39 PM
Unregistered

okay, i have been computing for ..~8 years, now i am a staff engineer, earning 6.7k /month.

btw my degree is in mechanical. but tht time when i just graduated i cannot find job for 6 months (from NTU, tht is SARS period).. so get my first job as software developer at only 1.5k ( appreciate tht the boss did not mind my background)

you asked switching to computing is it a right choice? when i look at my peers who are in mechanical, i think i made the right choie (no choice actually)

i am in my early 30s, if you dun compare to doctors, lawyer.. i think engineers is a decent job.
Old 30-11-2012, 03:30 PM

poor and stupid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
okay, i have been computing for ..~8 years, now i am a staff engineer, earning 6.7k /month.

btw my degree is in mechanical. but tht time when i just graduated i cannot find job for 6 months (from NTU, tht is SARS period).. so get my first job as software developer at only 1.5k ( appreciate tht the boss did not mind my background)

you asked switching to computing is it a right choice? when i look at my peers who are in mechanical, i think i made the right choie (no choice actually)

i am in my early 30s, if you dun compare to doctors, lawyer.. i think engineers is a decent job.
That is higher than normal mech grads not in o&g, dun mind me asking, what kind of computing are you involved in(application, system, web...)? did you go for any courses or get any certifications along the way?

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app