MNC but low salary or "lousy" firm but higher salary? - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




MNC but low salary or "lousy" firm but higher salary?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2016, 06:45 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3
ally_spy is on a distinguished road
Default MNC but low salary or "lousy" firm but higher salary?

Would like to seek opinions:

As a fresh grad, would you rather 1) work in a prestigious MNC but low salary or 2) a not very famous and usually unheard of company but with relatively higher salary?

Will working in a prestigious MNC like big 4 build your resume for future career jumps?

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2016, 07:53 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Brand name of course helps, but I think it comes down to the role you are doing and the line you are in. Does either role value add to your skillsets?

When you mention big 4, I assume you are an accounting grad. I would like to think the top accounting grads head to either banks or big MNCs finance MA programs. For the rest of the students, its like a factory, but no harm no foul I suppose. Starting off in big 4 doesn't hurt (save the salary). I would definitely choose big 4 option other than some no name company if that were the case.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2016, 08:11 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Lol I was wondering what's the issue because prestigious companies usually pay well...

Big 4 isn't prestigious at all man. It's where the rejects go. All the top students go to IB, PB or top MA finance programs and they pay VERY well.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2016, 10:29 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I'm assuming you got an offer from a big4 and considering it against another firm.

First, is this smaller firm well known at least in the industry its in? Even though the pay is crappy, big4 is a relatively good starting point. You can always jump between big4 and get a pay bump each time. By your 4th or 5th year, with enough luck, you could be bringing in 5k to 6k and sometimes 7k.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2016, 11:47 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I will choose the mnc. Singaporean employers tend to be very brand conscious. They see a big brand name on your resume then they think youbare very satki already.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-02-2016, 12:21 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally_spy View Post
Would like to seek opinions:

As a fresh grad, would you rather 1) work in a prestigious MNC but low salary or 2) a not very famous and usually unheard of company but with relatively higher salary?

Will working in a prestigious MNC like big 4 build your resume for future career jumps?
Big 4 isn't considered a prestigious MNC - like another poster said, it is somewhat known as a sweatshop factory taking in mass number of rejects from other places.

Having said that, it all depends on what are your career aspirations. If you want to stay nimble and traverse in the SME space you can stick with the unheard company. Sometimes SMEs can promote faster with better pay, but the drawback is career ceiling is considerably lower.

If your career aspirations are to join a prestigious mnc (not big 4, real big mncs), then it might be better to stick with a big 4 as MNCs are usually bias against SME experience. It is very rare for an accountant to start off with a SME and then move to a mid career level in MNC. They tend to write off candidates who only have SME experience.
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09-02-2016, 07:08 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Big 4 isn't considered a prestigious MNC - like another poster said, it is somewhat known as a sweatshop factory taking in mass number of rejects from other places.

Having said that, it all depends on what are your career aspirations. If you want to stay nimble and traverse in the SME space you can stick with the unheard company. Sometimes SMEs can promote faster with better pay, but the drawback is career ceiling is considerably lower.

If your career aspirations are to join a prestigious mnc (not big 4, real big mncs), then it might be better to stick with a big 4 as MNCs are usually bias against SME experience. It is very rare for an accountant to start off with a SME and then move to a mid career level in MNC. They tend to write off candidates who only have SME experience.
Total nonsense from someone who dunno anything. Many CFO from MNC is from small audit firm and work their way up. It is the work ability that count, not rubbish like weather ur from Big 4 or not.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 11-02-2016, 12:51 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Total nonsense from someone who dunno anything. Many CFO from MNC is from small audit firm and work their way up. It is the work ability that count, not rubbish like weather ur from Big 4 or not.
hahah weather
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Calling ALL the Civil Engineer background to share their "Salary" Ivanevan Income and Jobs 28 03-05-2018 03:18 PM
"Legal" for employee to do freelance and credit payment to parent's account? dafeizhu Income and Jobs 4 09-12-2014 05:31 AM
can/shall I still ask for more than what I filled in "expected salary" section? mangos47 Income and Jobs 12 03-12-2014 03:21 PM
"LOWER HDB VALUATIONS OR BUILD MORE AFFORDABLE HDB HOUSING FOR SINGAPOREANS" petition designez Investments and Net Worth 6 11-10-2009 01:09 AM
Salary hikes "sustainable" Salary.sg Income and Jobs 0 17-07-2007 01:50 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Unilever UFLP 2018 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
30 Replies, 13,147 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,899 Replies, 2,409,680 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,897 Replies, 4,279,256 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,846 Replies, 1,630,642 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,049 Replies, 1,126,482 Views
Earn your daiy Sgd5,000 from...
0 Replies, 11 Views
UBS Financial Services Industry... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
350 Replies, 99,330 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
415 Replies, 291,735 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,255 Replies, 7,102,080 Views
Can I serve my notice and put my...
6 Replies, 16,088 Views
career dilemma in 30s ( 1 2 3)
25 Replies, 12,390 Views
Civil engineering pay
5 Replies, 1,573 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
270 Replies, 112,825 Views
MOM(ACE) offers good career... ( 1 2 3)
22 Replies, 2,550 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,465 Replies, 4,242,154 Views
GovTech Tech Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
46 Replies, 24,105 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
984 Replies, 706,327 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,037 Replies, 1,627,991 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,809 Replies, 2,369,849 Views
SCDF direct entry lieutenant
8 Replies, 4,484 Views
GIC (Government of Singapore... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
322 Replies, 435,776 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
313 Replies, 295,263 Views
HDB (under MND) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
451 Replies, 355,708 Views
Sign On After 30? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
52 Replies, 20,587 Views
Aircraft Maintenance License and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
663 Replies, 515,588 Views
SLA (Singapore Land Authority)
9 Replies, 2,570 Views
Best Primary Schools 2021 (by...
0 Replies, 106 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 01:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2