IT jobs: development vs. operations - Page 2 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

IT jobs: development vs. operations

Poll: IT operations vs. development: which is more stressful?
Poll Options
IT operations vs. development: which is more stressful?

Old 25-01-2016, 06:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If one is not a scholar, probably won't get even a chance to write paper. Writing paper is an art in the civil service, and it takes skills to do it well. One can send in his resume to apply for policy writing, and it goes straight into the waste basket. That's reality and don't make it sound as if anyone who bothers to apply for a "paper writing" job can get it easily. Do you think the civil service hires anyone who applies because paper writing is a simple brain dead job?

Understood. This is the most helpful paragraph yet. Either way can be heaven or hell depending on the environment. Then again, don't mind me asking if you're an IT professional who has been there and done that?

I believe anonymity online entitles one to use strong languages and politeness goes out of the window. Seriously, you may need anger management.
I have put in considerable effort to breakdown and explain in simple terms the complex market supply and demand situation for IT ops and programming jobs. You have not even extended the courtesy to address any of the points I brought up on labour market realit

Instead all I get are a bunch of one liner personal attacks and speculations on my supposed “anger”. It is ok to disagree, but it should be done on facts and counterpoints, not just baseless allegations along the lines of “you sound angry, so I don’t listen”.

Anyway it’s a waste of time discussing when you are more interested in getting personal then really understanding the dynamic challenges facing the Singapore IT space, you will learn it the hard way when you go out to work. This will be my last post on this.

Old 25-01-2016, 07:41 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I have put in considerable effort to breakdown and explain in simple terms the complex market supply and demand situation for IT ops and programming jobs. You have not even extended the courtesy to address any of the points I brought up on labour market realit

Instead all I get are a bunch of one liner personal attacks and speculations on my supposed “anger”. It is ok to disagree, but it should be done on facts and counterpoints, not just baseless allegations along the lines of “you sound angry, so I don’t listen”.

Anyway it’s a waste of time discussing when you are more interested in getting personal then really understanding the dynamic challenges facing the Singapore IT space, you will learn it the hard way when you go out to work. This will be my last post on this.
OK noted. I take it as you're a person with strong opinions. I do read and digest what you posted. What I get from you are the below, correct me if I am wrong:
  • It is impossible to tell if IT operations or IT development is better.
  • IT industry is flooded with foreign talents who are cheaper and higher qualified.
  • It is competitive and will be off-shored.
  • Buck up or ship out.
  • If you do ship out, apply for government/public sector/civil service jobs.
  • Else you need to buck up to take up more lucrative but high stress IT jobs.

As it is, it is a simple thread with the intention to understand the specific differences and trade-offs between a software engineer and operations engineer, and what to expect. That's it, no more no less.

What I do disagree with is your assumption that government/public sector/civil service jobs are easy, and they are for laggards who aren't hard striving. I am sure some civil servants and public officers are offended that some people hold this view of them that trivialises their importance.

Old 26-01-2016, 11:23 AM
Unregistered

since u want stable & predictable job meaning everyday do the same thing just apply for the smaller stat boards, low profile ministry or blue chip glcs like sia/singtel etc. dun waste time on ops or programming, lower pay, no job security and sunset industry. most engineering in sg got limited prospect, it-related even worse compare to the rest.

Old 26-01-2016, 11:30 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
What I do disagree with is your assumption that government/public sector/civil service jobs are easy, and they are for laggards who aren't hard striving. I am sure some civil servants and public officers are offended that some people hold this view of them that trivialises their importance.
actually this one although not politically correct to say is true lah. small minority really believe in serving the public for greater good to the society, but for most of us (i work in a stat board also) the main attraction is slower pace with work life balance & better job security. of course the drawback is career ceiling is lower unless you are a scholar.
Old 26-01-2016, 12:04 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
actually this one although not politically correct to say is true lah. small minority really believe in serving the public for greater good to the society, but for most of us (i work in a stat board also) the main attraction is slower pace with work life balance & better job security. of course the drawback is career ceiling is lower unless you are a scholar.
I am from the civil service as well and I don't like the way some people portray civil service as slack and do nothing the whole day. I will admit generally we don't work long hours, everything is very SOP process and structured to the point some will say is brain dead administration and work environment is quite relaxed compared to private sector.

But for most of us is just difference in priorities. Not everyone dreams of working day in day out non-stop to make big money. We just want a more stress free environment where we can focus more on other things in life other than just work. Just because we are willing to accept the fact we will never make top earnings in exchange for a life more focus on other things than career doesn't mean we sleep and get paid everyday.

The important thing is to know yourself what you want.