is it possible to become a Chinese teacher in MOE with a engineering degree? - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




is it possible to become a Chinese teacher in MOE with a engineering degree?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 18-06-2015, 12:44 PM
zero_88's Avatar
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 471
zero_88 is on a distinguished road
Default is it possible to become a Chinese teacher in MOE with a engineering degree?

I am currently pursuing a degree in Computer Science

can I be a chinese teacher if I go through PGDE?

can I choose the subject I want to teach?

I heard engineering degree can only teach physic and math?

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 18-06-2015, 04:16 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_88 View Post
I am currently pursuing a degree in Computer Science

can I be a chinese teacher if I go through PGDE?

can I choose the subject I want to teach?

I heard engineering degree can only teach physic and math?
In theory yes, but in practice no. MOE isn't interested in spending so much money training a local through PGDE from scratch when they can import PRC straight with much stronger Chinese skills anyway.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 19-06-2015, 06:08 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Yes it is possible to be a chinese teacher thru pgde with an engineering degree as long u studied higher chinese before in secondary sch or jc. But u can only teach in primary sch level. Teaching in sec and jc level requires u to have a chinese degree.

I myself have a science degree but is also a primary sch chinese teacher now since there is no lack of science teachers in sec and jc lvl. Most of my peers frm the same major also join MOE teaching in primary sch, unless they alrdy hv scholarship or teaching award.

MOE would always choose a local over ppl from PRC or malaysia if the singaporean is qualified enough to teach chinese. However, nowadays more and more singaporean cnt even converse well in mandarin and lack in interest in the subject. Hence , no choice have to look for foreigner to teach chinese.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 19-06-2015, 11:58 PM
zero_88's Avatar
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 471
zero_88 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yes it is possible to be a chinese teacher thru pgde with an engineering degree as long u studied higher chinese before in secondary sch or jc. But u can only teach in primary sch level. Teaching in sec and jc level requires u to have a chinese degree.

I myself have a science degree but is also a primary sch chinese teacher now since there is no lack of science teachers in sec and jc lvl. Most of my peers frm the same major also join MOE teaching in primary sch, unless they alrdy hv scholarship or teaching award.

MOE would always choose a local over ppl from PRC or malaysia if the singaporean is qualified enough to teach chinese. However, nowadays more and more singaporean cnt even converse well in mandarin and lack in interest in the subject. Hence , no choice have to look for foreigner to teach chinese.
I nvr took higher chinese, if I took Minor in CHinese is it possible?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 20-06-2015, 01:42 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Should be able to qualify if u can finish the minor but only at primary sch level.

Why study engineering when u want to be a chinese teacher??
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 20-06-2015, 11:17 AM
zero_88's Avatar
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 471
zero_88 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Should be able to qualify if u can finish the minor but only at primary sch level.

Why study engineering when u want to be a chinese teacher??
Because I already halfway through my route of Computer Science course.

I dun want to give up my degree to switch to chinese degree

I know Chinese degree dun have much prospect in Singapore compare to computer science.

I am thinking maybe I can fall back or switch to be teacher, in a subject I am comfortable with, if I cannot make in IT field

I dun think I am passionate to be a teacher, but I am good in Chinese
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 21-06-2015, 08:20 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Good in chinese not equal to good chinese teacher.

Teaching without passion is as good as wasting 4 years of ur life (1 yr nie + 3 yr bond). Eventually u will leave the service without any relevant exp outside. Need to start from stretch again.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 21-06-2015, 09:01 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_88 View Post
Because I already halfway through my route of Computer Science course.

I dun want to give up my degree to switch to chinese degree

I know Chinese degree dun have much prospect in Singapore compare to computer science.

I am thinking maybe I can fall back or switch to be teacher, in a subject I am comfortable with, if I cannot make in IT field

I dun think I am passionate to be a teacher, but I am good in Chinese
wah lau I pity the students you would be teaching if you really become a teacher... no passion still wanna teach... dun like that lah...


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 21-06-2015, 10:41 PM
zero_88's Avatar
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 471
zero_88 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
wah lau I pity the students you would be teaching if you really become a teacher... no passion still wanna teach... dun like that lah...
how do I know whether I have passion in teaching or not?

if I nvr teach b4 in my life?
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 22-06-2015, 10:25 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

try give trail tuition first lor.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Business vs Engineering Degree wootnick Income and Jobs 57 07-08-2015 10:12 AM
Is chinese degree highly valued in the job market? zero_88 Income and Jobs 8 18-06-2015 10:28 PM
Part-time Electronics Engineering degree how Education and Personal Growth 33 22-07-2012 08:19 PM
Engineering Science degree? or business? zxlancer Education and Personal Growth 9 05-06-2012 11:00 AM
Diploma/Degree Engineering Graduates who work in a different sector JeffLKS Income and Jobs 10 25-10-2011 10:36 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,258 Replies, 6,391,432 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,648 Replies, 1,495,376 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,975 Replies, 2,097,293 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,692 Replies, 4,859,642 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,751 Replies, 1,355,848 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,203 Replies, 3,330,010 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,266 Replies, 741,402 Views
NUS (National University of... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
314 Replies, 309,684 Views
Micron starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
702 Replies, 387,165 Views
Standard Chartered International... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
460 Replies, 258,169 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,071 Replies, 2,246,043 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,297 Replies, 985,395 Views
DBS ACE Programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
108 Replies, 73,284 Views
Visa Internship
3 Replies, 4,290 Views
GIC (Government of Singapore... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
419 Replies, 711,893 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,258 Replies, 12,296,731 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
885 Replies, 484,310 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
635 Replies, 321,873 Views
Company deduct air ticket from...
0 Replies, 172 Views
Anyone work in JPM/GS/Morgan... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
415 Replies, 156,466 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,759 Replies, 1,013,474 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
20,885 Replies, 10,194,798 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,756 Replies, 1,475,208 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,027 Replies, 425,264 Views
For those with 2-5 YOE, what is... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,197 Replies, 445,887 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,396 Replies, 1,342,917 Views
A*Star (Agency for Science,... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
38 Replies, 97,608 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,077 Replies, 3,677,753 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,781 Replies, 4,579,979 Views
ITE Polytechnic Scheme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
298 Replies, 355,218 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 08:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2