Diploma/Degree Engineering Graduates who work in a different sector - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Diploma/Degree Engineering Graduates who work in a different sector

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 15-10-2011, 07:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 34
JeffLKS is on a distinguished road
Default Diploma/Degree Engineering Graduates who work in a different sector

Dear Engineering buddies, how do you manage to jump to other sector? I am currently still on job hunt with a Diploma Engineering cert, but encountering problems in entering to other sectors apart from Engineering.

Most of the sectors that I am keen only sought for relevant skills and cert like Aviation, HR etc.

Please enlighten me.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 18-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

For me, I went into a stat board and at the same time took up a part-time degree in business management. After graduation, and with my degree, I managed to jump to an admin position in an engineering company.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 18-10-2011, 06:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 34
JeffLKS is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
For me, I went into a stat board and at the same time took up a part-time degree in business management. After graduation, and with my degree, I managed to jump to an admin position in an engineering company.
Thanks for your reply. But what is stat board? You mean Government job?

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 20-10-2011, 11:41 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffLKS View Post
Most of the sectors that I am keen only sought for relevant skills and cert like Aviation, HR etc.

Please enlighten me.
HR where got need special cert? They are just friendly aunties doing basic admin like interviews, leave, welfare events, booking training courses etc. My company HR team almost nobody studied HR in school.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 20-10-2011, 12:56 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffLKS View Post
Thanks for your reply. But what is stat board? You mean Government job?
Yup, correct.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 23-10-2011, 11:11 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Engineer begging for rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffLKS View Post
Dear Engineering buddies, how do you manage to jump to other sector? I am currently still on job hunt with a Diploma Engineering cert, but encountering problems in entering to other sectors apart from Engineering.

Most of the sectors that I am keen only sought for relevant skills and cert like Aviation, HR etc.

Please enlighten me.
Yup.. You should have knew it when you decided to take your engineering diploma.. There is no future in this country for engineers... The industry is shrinking.. Somemore with the cheaper and better option of hiring foreign talent, it is increasingly getting harder for diploma holders to land a decent job anywhere.... Better go take degree(not engineering) and start a better life elsewhere..
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 23-10-2011, 12:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 34
JeffLKS is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yup.. You should have knew it when you decided to take your engineering diploma.. There is no future in this country for engineers... The industry is shrinking.. Somemore with the cheaper and better option of hiring foreign talent, it is increasingly getting harder for diploma holders to land a decent job anywhere.... Better go take degree(not engineering) and start a better life elsewhere..
Hi, no I shouldn't had noticed it when I enrolled to Engineering. And yes, Degree is a need now, for the chance of better job and desired company.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 23-10-2011, 02:50 PM
anotherOne
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

just to add, even if deg engineering, also not many jobs...
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 23-10-2011, 08:37 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffLKS View Post
Hi, no I shouldn't had noticed it when I enrolled to Engineering. And yes, Degree is a need now, for the chance of better job and desired company.
No worries.. Better late than never... Go take your degree now... Gd luck..
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 23-10-2011, 11:35 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffLKS View Post
Dear Engineering buddies, how do you manage to jump to other sector? I am currently still on job hunt with a Diploma Engineering cert, but encountering problems in entering to other sectors apart from Engineering.

Most of the sectors that I am keen only sought for relevant skills and cert like Aviation, HR etc.

Please enlighten me.
If your are really interested in those then go take those certs. There's a aircraft maintenance license thread around here somewhere if I remember correctly. You might want to check the thread out.

Good luck with your job hunting.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thinking of doing an Digital Media diploma/degree? Read this first. warning Education and Personal Growth 50 09-11-2020 12:12 AM
Thinking of doing an IT diploma/degree? Read this first. warning Education and Personal Growth 34 13-11-2019 03:50 PM
Thinking of doing an Life Science diploma/degree? Read this first. warning Education and Personal Growth 22 16-02-2017 06:56 PM
How do promotions work in gahment sector? miwashi Income and Jobs 58 22-01-2012 08:04 PM
Fresh Engieering Diploma holder to continue Engineering or move to Finance ? sadsack Education and Personal Growth 26 07-11-2010 02:59 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
848 Replies, 587,944 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,193 Replies, 877,094 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,441 Replies, 1,958,289 Views
Micron starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
343 Replies, 133,301 Views
For those with 2-5 YOE, what is... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
817 Replies, 168,094 Views
Anyone ever rage quitted your job... ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 777 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,182 Replies, 856,392 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
315 Replies, 206,778 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,895 Replies, 1,851,215 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,816 Replies, 6,188,446 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,551 Replies, 2,217,910 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
535 Replies, 183,982 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
133 Replies, 59,268 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
843 Replies, 219,562 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
13,989 Replies, 8,639,814 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,936 Replies, 770,977 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,424 Replies, 3,355,319 Views
DXC Technology Software Developer ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 2,021 Views
Dilemma: Higher paying job vs...
9 Replies, 665 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,324 Replies, 2,215,292 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,040 Replies, 352,931 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
212 Replies, 239,277 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
870 Replies, 500,830 Views
Standard Chartered International... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
330 Replies, 123,701 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
13,261 Replies, 4,909,854 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
831 Replies, 386,361 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
305 Replies, 136,551 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,072 Replies, 386,278 Views
NUS (National University of... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
193 Replies, 157,683 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,826 Replies, 2,781,619 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 10:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2