Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Good paying blue collar / danger / dirty job

Old 19-01-2014, 09:01 PM

worker is on a distinguished road
Default Good paying blue collar / danger / dirty job

Hi,

I am a local Singapore Chinese guy with IT degree from local University. I am single and in my mid-thirties and seem not to be getting anywhere... I am in an desk-bound job handling multiple IT applications support (24x7) and projects, salary about mid $4K. I feel very stress and drained everyday working till late. There are constantly new issues and changes and I dun feel I can keep up with the many frequent changes. I stay at home during weekend as I am too tired to do anything.

I feel I want to switch to a more hands on, operational work where there are less changes and unknown and I know what I am suppose to do daily. Also it will be good to ultilize less brain power but body/muscle to work.

It is a pity that I did not take an Engineering degree or diploma... at least I may have the option to look for 12hrs shift manufacturing engineering job or offshore, service engineer job.

Pls share some good paying blue collar / danger / dirty / handicraft / offshore / work on ship job that nobody wants to do... but offers a good pay of at least 4k/mth. Pls share how to get into the job, what training to take. How long/possible to get to at least 50K per year? I dun mind having a pay cut as I have decided to remain single and keep a simple lifestyle.

I have heard that welding jobs in offshore, truck driver for construction, crane operator, taxi driver can easily earn above 5k/mth with OT pay.

Thank you.

You can send me a Private message.

Old 19-01-2014, 11:08 PM
Unregistered

I do not think that blue collared jobs are suitable for you.

Have you tried checking out the job agencies? They may find something good for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worker View Post
Hi,

I am a local Singapore Chinese guy with IT degree from local University. I am single and in my mid-thirties and seem not to be getting anywhere... I am in an desk-bound job handling multiple IT applications support (24x7) and projects, salary about mid $4K. I feel very stress and drained everyday working till late. There are constantly new issues and changes and I dun feel I can keep up with the many frequent changes. I stay at home during weekend as I am too tired to do anything.

I feel I want to switch to a more hands on, operational work where there are less changes and unknown and I know what I am suppose to do daily. Also it will be good to ultilize less brain power but body/muscle to work.

It is a pity that I did not take an Engineering degree or diploma... at least I may have the option to look for 12hrs shift manufacturing engineering job or offshore, service engineer job.

Pls share some good paying blue collar / danger / dirty / handicraft / offshore / work on ship job that nobody wants to do... but offers a good pay of at least 4k/mth. Pls share how to get into the job, what training to take. How long/possible to get to at least 50K per year? I dun mind having a pay cut as I have decided to remain single and keep a simple lifestyle.

I have heard that welding jobs in offshore, truck driver for construction, crane operator, taxi driver can easily earn above 5k/mth with OT pay.

Thank you.

You can send me a Private message.

Old 20-01-2014, 10:48 PM

worker is on a distinguished road

I went to over 50 interviews in the last 2 years to land this permanent job. (Previously on contract)... I have always work at least 3 - 4 days OT every week and I am sick of it...

I work rather do shift work if given a choice... even good paying blue collar job I will think is better... or apprentice like watch repair, leather repair? specials skill to learn to get good pay

I remember last time reading Straits Times Recruitment Story of high-rise office outside windows cleaners can earn >10k per mth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I do not think that blue collared jobs are suitable for you.

Have you tried checking out the job agencies? They may find something good for you.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 21-01-2014, 02:59 PM

lordlad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by worker View Post
I went to over 50 interviews in the last 2 years to land this permanent job. (Previously on contract)... I have always work at least 3 - 4 days OT every week and I am sick of it...

I work rather do shift work if given a choice... even good paying blue collar job I will think is better... or apprentice like watch repair, leather repair? specials skill to learn to get good pay

I remember last time reading Straits Times Recruitment Story of high-rise office outside windows cleaners can earn >10k per mth...
either u r dreaming or straights time is talking <10k per annum....

no offense to the cleaners but that's impossible (unless u r the owner of the cleaning company)..

if u really sick of your current job and want a change....u can consider crane operator. Last I heard is 4K+ on average......they are paying high now because there's a serious lack of crane operator for those construction companies and with all those flats, condos and whatnots coming up, they desperately need more to fill in. And crane operator they cannot anyhow hire to 'FTs' with no skillset or experience to do that as there's almost no room for errors that the job.

Go google around and look for it.
Old 21-01-2014, 07:53 PM
George

Default offshore/marine work

Have you considered learning some job with WDA schemes? You can become a welder or scaffold worker. That has its own challenges and benefits.
Good luck to you.
Old 28-05-2014, 10:25 PM
Unregistered

how about joining civil service or govt link companies such as hospitals, singtel, sbs, etc?

they pay well for your local degree, with bonuses. and they have better family time and working life than private sector.

Old 28-05-2014, 11:24 PM
Unregistered

Heard of rope access ? Go to irata.org

Once you are certified, you can take on 10k kind of jobs like high rise building cleaner, offshore oil and gas kind of jobs.

Of course, you cannot be scared of heights.

Taken from Wikipedia under rope access;

Typical applications include:

Inspection, painting and construction on offshore oil platforms and power plants.
Inspection, surveying, maintenance on wind turbines.
Inspection, surveying, maintenance, and construction on bridges and dams.
Window cleaning, repair and aircraft warning light maintenance on high-rise buildings.
Maintenance on aerials, telecommunication and electrical transmission towers (pylons).
Construction assist on stadiums, spires, and other unique shape structures.
Geologic slopes.
Inspection, documentation and access to large building façades.
Events rigging and installations such as banners, flags, lighting and fireworks.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:56 AM
Unregistered

Default have you got anything?

interested in watch repair?
Old 01-11-2015, 12:26 PM
Unregistered

Since you have IT application support experience, have u considered working in a 24x7 NOC(Network Operations Center). Folks there do shift based work and typically don't have to bring work home.

Some shift examples:
Week 1 ( 3 x 12 hour shift) -> Week 2 (4 x 12 hour shift) -> Week 1 (repeat)

Attrition is quite high in the graveyard shift and they are always looking for people.
Old 18-09-2018, 10:53 PM
Unregistered

I am Indian and I have a degree in Computer engineering.
Do you have any job for me in your Company ? (I don't have any permit)
Please help me. i will give you whatever you want..

Hi,

Thank you.

You can send me a Private message.[/QUOTE]

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app