Senior police officer in SPF... Help me pls - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Senior police officer in SPF... Help me pls

Old 14-06-2013, 08:36 AM

haiz2006 is on a distinguished road
Default Senior police officer in SPF... Help me pls

i want to know the culture of work and work life in SPF. i am not a scholar, just 2nd lower degree with 2.8years mgt experiences. I have attended the board interview and subject to medical scheduled already. I believed I have a high chance entering as SPO as I told them I have to enter training ASAP due to my marriage next year. So quite confident.

what I am unsure now is I have no support from my girlfriend to allow me to join.. So was very upset, she thinks that once I join police our relationship will strain, baby plans will stall and no time spend together after telling her the working shifts.

i Duno this kind of life will be how long because it takes about 3-4 years to do staff posting.?? No one knows.... And after staff posting working hours might be irregular too? I have many tonnes of questions and all these were being addressed before all the first few interviews.. but i wanna hear from a SPO or a regular here the lifestyle and whether can a regular upkeep his family ties and relationship.. Baby plans etc.

I heard especially IO tour is keep clearing cases and shift is also like junior PO?

say next year late wedding, training will disrupt my plans if unless I enter in August intake...

What if one day I wanna leave the force due to commitment to family, low progression and promotion, will I regret one day that my experience is irrelevant to outside world... So many worries.. Many ex officer went to crop security, compliance in Pte sector or even as some mgt level in Mindef or security related job but for sure their reason of leaving and get pay cut is due to?
Many said degree sign on is good..

Old 14-06-2013, 09:00 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiz2006 View Post
i want to know the culture of work and work life in SPF. i am not a scholar, just 2nd lower degree with 2.8years mgt experiences. I have attended the board interview and subject to medical scheduled already. I believed I have a high chance entering as SPO as I told them I have to enter training ASAP due to my marriage next year. So quite confident.

what I am unsure now is I have no support from my girlfriend to allow me to join.. So was very upset, she thinks that once I join police our relationship will strain, baby plans will stall and no time spend together after telling her the working shifts.

i Duno this kind of life will be how long because it takes about 3-4 years to do staff posting.?? No one knows.... And after staff posting working hours might be irregular too? I have many tonnes of questions and all these were being addressed before all the first few interviews.. but i wanna hear from a SPO or a regular here the lifestyle and whether can a regular upkeep his family ties and relationship.. Baby plans etc.

I heard especially IO tour is keep clearing cases and shift is also like junior PO?

say next year late wedding, training will disrupt my plans if unless I enter in August intake...

What if one day I wanna leave the force due to commitment to family, low progression and promotion, will I regret one day that my experience is irrelevant to outside world... So many worries.. Many ex officer went to crop security, compliance in Pte sector or even as some mgt level in Mindef or security related job but for sure their reason of leaving and get pay cut is due to?
Hi bro, i am interested in siging on too. a pass degree. the salary package is really very attractive n its very stable. i would like to ask u

is the interview question hard?
is it very hard to get into it?
how many round of interviews will you need to attend and how long is it from 1st interview to hearing of their offer?
how many months of stay in training upon acceptance?

thank you

Old 15-06-2013, 03:03 PM

haiz2006 is on a distinguished road
Default Hu

Anyone can help

Old 16-06-2013, 08:11 PM
Unregistered

Assuming you join as an INPS. SPF SO salary package is really attractive. Should be 60k per annum easily with all the bonuses (13th mnth, Performance bonus, mid & end yr bonuses) for your second yr on. Merit increment also usually better than stat board.

However, shift work will take a toll on you. Dont think you will have all the weekends to spend with ur fam, neither will you fulyl enjoy the PH with ur loved ones. Moreover, the skillset you pick up at SPF usually not transferable to private sector unless you are lookign at security companies like AETOS etc.

Then again, one day when you move up the seniority ranks say as a DSP, you will be doing office hours collecting a relatively comfortable pay cheque in your plushy chair. But till then, you gotta slog. But before you take the plunge, consider you options wisely- what are your talent? something that gives you comparative adv over another.

2cents worth.
Old 18-06-2013, 09:20 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

If you are not comfortable then don't go
Old 18-06-2013, 10:18 PM

uturn is on a distinguished road

you only got one life. think about how you want to live your life and your priorities in life

Old 18-06-2013, 10:34 PM
Unregistered

Don't join just because of the salary. Consider the risks you put yourself and families in. Consider the hours and ever-ready standby you have to go through. Take heart, and take care.
Old 19-06-2013, 05:54 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Being a Policeman is tough. Others may thing Policeman slack, but it is certainly untrue. There are so many things happening out of public's view. You will need family support to do reasonably well in both career and family should you choose to be a policeman. Otherwise, you will end up jeopardising either one or worse both.
The pay vs other civil service schemes is quite generous.

First few years as Investigation Officers and Team Leaders is generally tough. These are typically foundation postings for Senior Officers. Other than contending with shift hours, how much work is really dependant on whether ppl choose to commit crimes. Yes as IO, you will clear cases like junior officers. Every officer will have different experiences. I must say that if your first few years is hellish, what comes after will be fairly easy going, since you will be experienced enough to tackle policy work as a staff officer or lead others if in a command position. If you choose to take the easy way out by "delegating" work to the junior ones. Then you will be exposed when you are posted to higher positions, since you have no personal experience to back up your decisions/thinking.

You must also ask yourself how far you think you will be in the Police Force. There are many bright minds here, and rather competitive. Set your expectations right. This is also a job not for the weak hearted. Other ppl's lives are at stake.
Old 19-06-2013, 07:49 PM
Unregistered

true story:

Join police must join as officer, meaning you inspector and above. you must have a degree.
then you use the government-issued phone and call your girlfriend or flirt girls in the interview room. Order your sergeant or staff seargant go do Sai Kang.

drive police car go fetch girlfriend. Relax one corner manz...

This is what my friend told me. he is a sergeant in the SPF.
Old 20-06-2013, 09:21 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
true story:

Join police must join as officer, meaning you inspector and above. you must have a degree.
then you use the government-issued phone and call your girlfriend or flirt girls in the interview room. Order your sergeant or staff seargant go do Sai Kang.

drive police car go fetch girlfriend. Relax one corner manz...

This is what my friend told me. he is a sergeant in the SPF.

This Sgt friend may not be entirely accurate. Indeed like all organisations, there will be bad hats around. These errant officers will be weeded in good time, or resign themselves when they wonder why is it that their PB and promotions (if any) are way slower than their peers.