Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Senior police officer in SPF... Help me pls
View Single Post
Old 19-06-2013, 05:54 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiz2006 View Post
i want to know the culture of work and work life in SPF. i am not a scholar, just 2nd lower degree with 2.8years mgt experiences. I have attended the board interview and subject to medical scheduled already. I believed I have a high chance entering as SPO as I told them I have to enter training ASAP due to my marriage next year. So quite confident.

what I am unsure now is I have no support from my girlfriend to allow me to join.. So was very upset, she thinks that once I join police our relationship will strain, baby plans will stall and no time spend together after telling her the working shifts.

i Duno this kind of life will be how long because it takes about 3-4 years to do staff posting.?? No one knows.... And after staff posting working hours might be irregular too? I have many tonnes of questions and all these were being addressed before all the first few interviews.. but i wanna hear from a SPO or a regular here the lifestyle and whether can a regular upkeep his family ties and relationship.. Baby plans etc.

I heard especially IO tour is keep clearing cases and shift is also like junior PO?

say next year late wedding, training will disrupt my plans if unless I enter in August intake...

What if one day I wanna leave the force due to commitment to family, low progression and promotion, will I regret one day that my experience is irrelevant to outside world... So many worries.. Many ex officer went to crop security, compliance in Pte sector or even as some mgt level in Mindef or security related job but for sure their reason of leaving and get pay cut is due to?
Many said degree sign on is good..

Being a Policeman is tough. Others may thing Policeman slack, but it is certainly untrue. There are so many things happening out of public's view. You will need family support to do reasonably well in both career and family should you choose to be a policeman. Otherwise, you will end up jeopardising either one or worse both.
The pay vs other civil service schemes is quite generous.

First few years as Investigation Officers and Team Leaders is generally tough. These are typically foundation postings for Senior Officers. Other than contending with shift hours, how much work is really dependant on whether ppl choose to commit crimes. Yes as IO, you will clear cases like junior officers. Every officer will have different experiences. I must say that if your first few years is hellish, what comes after will be fairly easy going, since you will be experienced enough to tackle policy work as a staff officer or lead others if in a command position. If you choose to take the easy way out by "delegating" work to the junior ones. Then you will be exposed when you are posted to higher positions, since you have no personal experience to back up your decisions/thinking.

You must also ask yourself how far you think you will be in the Police Force. There are many bright minds here, and rather competitive. Set your expectations right. This is also a job not for the weak hearted. Other ppl's lives are at stake.