Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Old 03-12-2012, 02:44 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
the public transport system is currently used by both citizens (Singaporeans) and non-citizens (PRs and foreigners who work or come here as tourists). so what needs to be done is to device a system whereby fares should be increased across the board but citizens will get transport rebates. this way we truly reflects the cost of operating a public transport system, while ensuring help for Singaporeans. nationalising the transport system may not be a bad idea as long as it is run by competent management.
So your idea is to maintain cost neutrality by charging foreigners more... the merits and feasibility of that aside, but what has this got to do with nationalization?

As it is now nationalise or listed, fare revenues are solely controlled by the PTC and bears little relation to market dynamics. What added benefit does nationalization and appointing a bunch of bureaucrats from stat board to oversee management bring to the table???

Also this is extremely hazardous morally. There are many more essential neccessities in life, is the government going to price differentiate all these items to force PRs and tourists to help pay for Singaporeans?

Also your suggestion is only going to bring a one-off benefit to citizens. As it is now, the rising cost of operations are significantly higher in the region of 8-10%p.a. than fare increases every year. In order to maintain the cost ecalation to citizens at the current run rate of 1-2%p.a., you will need to massively jack up costs across the board and then jack up the rebates for citizens annually at the same time. There aren't enough dumb foreigners for you to try this stunt perpetually and it will just end up like yet another government assistance program.

This seems like a very roundabout and administratively cumbersome way to give government handouts to citizens. Wouldn't something straight forward like WP's recommendation to jack up WIS by 5x much more practical in helping poor Singaporeans?

Old 03-12-2012, 03:05 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
So your idea is to maintain cost neutrality by charging foreigners more... the merits and feasibility of that aside, but what has this got to do with nationalization?

As it is now nationalise or listed, fare revenues are solely controlled by the PTC and bears little relation to market dynamics. What added benefit does nationalization and appointing a bunch of bureaucrats from stat board to oversee management bring to the table???

Also this is extremely hazardous morally. There are many more essential neccessities in life, is the government going to price differentiate all these items to force PRs and tourists to help pay for Singaporeans?

Also your suggestion is only going to bring a one-off benefit to citizens. As it is now, the rising cost of operations are significantly higher in the region of 8-10%p.a. than fare increases every year. In order to maintain the cost ecalation to citizens at the current run rate of 1-2%p.a., you will need to massively jack up costs across the board and then jack up the rebates for citizens annually at the same time. There aren't enough dumb foreigners for you to try this stunt perpetually and it will just end up like yet another government assistance program.

This seems like a very roundabout and administratively cumbersome way to give government handouts to citizens. Wouldn't something straight forward like WP's recommendation to jack up WIS by 5x much more practical in helping poor Singaporeans?
there's simply too much administrative heritage, simply put.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:58 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

You are wasting your time here. People here are more interested in

1. showing off how well they are doing
2. bitch about company/government
3. total newbies asking dumb questions

Nobody is going to discuss policy seriously with you here.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
You are wasting your time here. People here are more interested in

1. showing off how well they are doing
2. bitch about company/government
3. total newbies asking dumb questions

Nobody is going to discuss policy seriously with you here.
Totally true...
Old 04-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Unregistered

Have been jobless since July. Is there any way I can explain why I was jobless for six months during interviews? The interviewers will definitely question what have I been doing and it will reflect badly on me if I tell them I can't get a job.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:04 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Have been jobless since July. Is there any way I can explain why I was jobless for six months during interviews? The interviewers will definitely question what have I been doing and it will reflect badly on me if I tell them I can't get a job.
Take heart bro!

Maybe now is year end ppl are waiting to get their bonus/aws,

sometime we dunno what future lies ahead, cheer up

Old 04-12-2012, 01:39 PM

1973 is on a distinguished road

Is the jobless issue worsening and has yet to be reflected in the statistics?

I look at statistics, jobless rate for citizen is 2-3%. I look around me, most people are working.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:57 PM
Unregistered

i have been jobless since june to oct.. until now then i found a job.. 2.7k
Old 05-12-2012, 05:11 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
i have been jobless since june to oct.. until now then i found a job.. 2.7k
Care to share what you told ur interviewer if he had asked you why you were jobless for so long? What were your expectations and experience? Although I have no prior experience as I am thinking of a mid-career switch, my expected salary is $2,500 with a relevant degree in the field that I wanna go.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:42 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Care to share what you told ur interviewer if he had asked you why you were jobless for so long? What were your expectations and experience? Although I have no prior experience as I am thinking of a mid-career switch, my expected salary is $2,500 with a relevant degree in the field that I wanna go.
I was working part time all these while as an accountant at an MNC. So I would say that to my interviewer.

and I only graduated this year in May.

2,500 is kind of on the low side? can you share how many years of experience you have and what degree?

I have a nus business degree (just a pass) and I have an IT diploma (graduated top of the polytechnic cohort with medals and stuff) soooo guess which field i am in? I ended up in IT industry.. I feel I have more interest and passion in IT..