Employment Contract - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Employment Contract

Old 18-05-2012, 01:13 AM

The_Monkey is on a distinguished road
Default Employment Contract

I have signed an employment contract with my current company. The terms of employment are fairly standard except for one clause stating that I am not allowed to work for any competitors or principles of the company.

I have asked around and understand that under Singapore law, non-compete clauses in employment contract is allowed if it is reasonable. For my case,
1. I am not allowed to seek employment with competitors or principles for 6 months. This would mean I am not allowed to seek employment anywhere in Singapore.
2. I am just a low level service engineer. There is no trade secrets to protect. So it is unreasonable to restrict me from getting employed elsewhere.
3. The penalty for breaching the clause is S$100k, which is again unreasonable and unjustifiable since the employer sustain no loss whatsoever.
4. Sometimes high level positions such as the CEO of a company get paid / compensated if retrenched / fired as they would be barred from working for competitors for long period of time up to years.
5. I learned that the employer included the clause simply to prevent its own employee from jumping over to join it competitors. There is absolutely no concern over trade secrets.

My question is, is the clause not enforceable due to unreasonableness? I have read this which basically says that the clause is unreasonable and can be ignored.
Employment Law - Covenants in Restraint of Trade: A Broad Overview

Anyone has any idea?

Old 18-05-2012, 01:10 PM
Millionaire Member

Hermit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Monkey View Post
I have signed an employment contract with my current company. The terms of employment are fairly standard except for one clause stating that I am not allowed to work for any competitors or principles of the company.

I have asked around and understand that under Singapore law, non-compete clauses in employment contract is allowed if it is reasonable. For my case,
1. I am not allowed to seek employment with competitors or principles for 6 months. This would mean I am not allowed to seek employment anywhere in Singapore.
2. I am just a low level service engineer. There is no trade secrets to protect. So it is unreasonable to restrict me from getting employed elsewhere.
3. The penalty for breaching the clause is S$100k, which is again unreasonable and unjustifiable since the employer sustain no loss whatsoever.
4. Sometimes high level positions such as the CEO of a company get paid / compensated if retrenched / fired as they would be barred from working for competitors for long period of time up to years.
5. I learned that the employer included the clause simply to prevent its own employee from jumping over to join it competitors. There is absolutely no concern over trade secrets.

My question is, is the clause not enforceable due to unreasonableness? I have read this which basically says that the clause is unreasonable and can be ignored.
Employment Law - Covenants in Restraint of Trade: A Broad Overview

Anyone has any idea?
Hi Monkey, this clause is a desperate measure on the part of your employer and is hard to enforce. You can work for any other company under another job title, or as a consultant (technically not an employee) or became a vendor to your new employer by incorporate a business entity yourself. In any case 6 months is quite short so it is not going to hurt your future very much.

Old 18-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Unregistered

In practice, most companies will not find it worthwhile to enforce it unless you are in senior mgt positions.

Old 18-05-2012, 01:27 PM
Unregistered

Just ignore it. If they want the 100k, they have to lodge a civil lawsuit against you, and as you rightfully said, the clause is utterly unfair and so you have 99% of winning the lawsuit, and it will look very bad on the company.

If I were you, and if I jump ship to a competitor, I'll ask this company to better sue me, so I can countersue for damages.
Old 18-05-2012, 02:00 PM
Unregistered

Usually for non-compete clause, the company will include in the clause that the company shall pay the employee a % of his last drawn pay (usually 1/3 or 1/2 ) during the non-compete period should they wish to impose the non-compete clause on the employee. This is to safeguard the company too in order to make the clause more fair and therefore enforceable.

So even if you sign on the non-compete clause, it just give the company the right to impose it on you, doesn't mean that it will impose it on you. And if the company does decide to impose it on you, then they must pay you accordingly to the clause.

If the non-compete clause does not mention anything about paying you during the non-compete period should they impose it on you, then this non-compete clause is very much one-sided and therefore very much unenforceable when brought to court.
Old 26-08-2015, 01:00 AM
Unregistered

Red face Non competitive clause for 6 months without compensation

I have this clause included in my employment contract as there is no compensation mention would this be considered one sided and not enforceable in Singapore?

Old 22-01-2016, 02:00 PM

ThomasScheer is on a distinguished road

I too have this clause mentioned in my contract.
Old 23-01-2016, 12:07 AM
Unregistered

ask you company go F spider
Old 23-01-2016, 11:23 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Monkey View Post

[url=://.lawgazette.com.sg/2001-1/Jan01-focus.htm]Employment Law - Covenants in Restraint of Trade: A Broad Overview[/

Anyone has any idea?
it's pretty standard in the industry actually.
Not allowed to seek employment with competitions DOES NOT mean you cannot work. It just means you cannot work in a related industry.
Even low level staff could gain access to trade secrets somehow, even when they don't know it.
Even CEOs get fired get severance packages in millions good enough to not work for years.

For low level like you, don't think so much lah.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 23-01-2016, 03:07 PM
Verified Member

UWEEI is on a distinguished road

Hi All,

Any idea what's the package that Aalst Chocolate Singapore offer's?
- Any AWS given?
- Overtime rate?
- Variable bonus rate?
- Allowance?
- does it have indivisual namecard given?