Need advise on which Doctorate Course (DBA) or PhD offered here is most recognized? - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Education and Personal Growth

Education and Personal Growth Schools, further studies, getting ready for employment, and motivation stuff




Need advise on which Doctorate Course (DBA) or PhD offered here is most recognized?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-05-2011, 05:16 AM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10
Daniel is on a distinguished road
Question Need advise on which Doctorate Course (DBA) or PhD offered here is most recognized?

Hi all, I am intending to pursue a doctorate course being offered by local private institution in Singapore.

My academic background is a MBA and 2nd Class Honors degree, both in international Business and Marketing.

I am in the Outdoor Media advertising industry and I realized that perhaps obtaining a doctorate might not help push up my salary package substantially but I am considering doing a doctorate to prepare myself in future if I were to set up my own advisory / consultancy firm.

There has been a few doctorates programs being offered here by Private Institutions here in Singapore including by MDIS. I would like to seek opinions and advise by fellow forumers here on which program is most recognizable and able to add most value in terms of prestige and recognition of university and course?

I am looking into furthering in the discipline of international Relations or Strategy studies in media / advertising.

Can anyone help advise please?

Thank you

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-05-2011, 05:00 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

What's your plan after getting the Dr?

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-05-2011, 12:58 AM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10
Daniel is on a distinguished road
Default

To further my prospects of getting promoted n in future progress my career in my next job

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-05-2011, 03:56 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Unless you are in a research or academic institution, a dr will not be of much use.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-05-2011, 04:07 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

The earlier post is rite. unless u want a job which requires a phd, a phd wont help. infact it will be detrimental. if u think a phd will increase ur value in similar job market as u r in ritenow, u r mistaken.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2011, 01:07 AM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10
Daniel is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The earlier post is rite. unless u want a job which requires a phd, a phd wont help. infact it will be detrimental. if u think a phd will increase ur value in similar job market as u r in ritenow, u r mistaken.
May I know why is it detrimental? Thanks for advise
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2011, 10:42 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Why detrimental ? Well, its not necessary. Depends on the case. It may be good, may not be good. May depend on field too.

Companies only hire people when they need them. U will spend 4-5 years on a Ph.D. What skills will u learn that will benefit the company. Will they be better to hire someone with industrial experience or with a Ph.D.

In my field, even tho I did not do great in my phd, I got an offer from an MNC abroad. But I could not find a good job in industry in Singapore. Academia or Postdoc are a long fight with low pay if u are not interested. So why is it the I could not get much success in Singapore . Bcus technology firms really dont do that kind of work hence dont need such people.

U shd see if Singapore hires n needs Phd in ur area. If not , u will reduce ur chances of finding a job. Dont look at 1-2 PhDs in ur company. Look at what happens to most Phds from singapore.

At the end, it depends on u. If u do well, u can get position abroad, u can go to academia, u mite become a teacher or professor. So, it all depends on ur determination. But if things dont work out as u plan, u mite also regret. A lot of Phds regret, some dont. Where do u see ur self ??
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2011, 10:18 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10
Daniel is on a distinguished road
Default

Bro so it is a double edge sword ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Why detrimental ? Well, its not necessary. Depends on the case. It may be good, may not be good. May depend on field too.

Companies only hire people when they need them. U will spend 4-5 years on a Ph.D. What skills will u learn that will benefit the company. Will they be better to hire someone with industrial experience or with a Ph.D.

In my field, even tho I did not do great in my phd, I got an offer from an MNC abroad. But I could not find a good job in industry in Singapore. Academia or Postdoc are a long fight with low pay if u are not interested. So why is it the I could not get much success in Singapore . Bcus technology firms really dont do that kind of work hence dont need such people.

U shd see if Singapore hires n needs Phd in ur area. If not , u will reduce ur chances of finding a job. Dont look at 1-2 PhDs in ur company. Look at what happens to most Phds from singapore.

At the end, it depends on u. If u do well, u can get position abroad, u can go to academia, u mite become a teacher or professor. So, it all depends on ur determination. But if things dont work out as u plan, u mite also regret. A lot of Phds regret, some dont. Where do u see ur self ??
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 04-05-2011, 12:02 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Exactly, like anything, it has risks and tradeoffs....U mite end up worse off or at the same place after 4 years...u mite also end up happier n more successful...but before u take up this ordeal:

1. ask urself, what u want to achieve after phd bcus most people only think it will make things better which is not necessary
2. do u have any interest in research, academia or teaching; or do u want to use it to enhance ur position in ur current area of expertize
3. better find out what kind of results do people achieve with phds in similar area

in short, find out what u want n what u can get from a Phd....dont go with wrong notions or hype...
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2011, 12:37 AM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10
Daniel is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Exactly, like anything, it has risks and tradeoffs....U mite end up worse off or at the same place after 4 years...u mite also end up happier n more successful...but before u take up this ordeal:

1. ask urself, what u want to achieve after phd bcus most people only think it will make things better which is not necessary
2. do u have any interest in research, academia or teaching; or do u want to use it to enhance ur position in ur current area of expertize
3. better find out what kind of results do people achieve with phds in similar area

in short, find out what u want n what u can get from a Phd....dont go with wrong notions or hype...
Thats a very good advise, thanks very much

How about instead of a PhD, I pursue a DBA to enhance my current position in my current company?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
unfair employer... please advise curls33 Income and Jobs 8 27-04-2011 04:39 PM
Need advise nubbienub Education and Personal Growth 3 09-02-2011 10:21 AM
Distance degree not recognized in civil service nova19 Income and Jobs 1 14-08-2010 11:26 PM
Advise on polytechnic courses jonathan920 Income and Jobs 3 09-07-2010 02:39 PM
advise greengrass Income and Jobs 3 15-12-2009 12:06 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,448 Replies, 1,613,207 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
442 Replies, 143,135 Views
Bloomberg/Factset/Re... ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 10,830 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,071 Replies, 1,676,378 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
15,533 Replies, 5,340,718 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,495 Replies, 2,759,484 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
13,349 Replies, 7,877,222 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,588 Replies, 474,013 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
590 Replies, 357,280 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,333 Replies, 2,808,723 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
873 Replies, 268,691 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
772 Replies, 371,453 Views
JP Morgan ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
114 Replies, 72,394 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
522 Replies, 188,876 Views
OCBC Bank
4 Replies, 263 Views
Fresh grad 2020 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
53 Replies, 21,027 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,480 Replies, 690,467 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,197 Replies, 1,970,798 Views
Whats your net worth ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,902 Replies, 1,007,562 Views
Htx ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
60 Replies, 7,766 Views
SLA (Singapore Land Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
33 Replies, 21,656 Views
CAD (Commercial Affairs Department) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
205 Replies, 157,537 Views
If you can't find a company here... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
52 Replies, 6,697 Views
Banks' Pay and Bonuses ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
456 Replies, 203,152 Views
SEA (Garena) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
53 Replies, 44,855 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
636 Replies, 326,930 Views
Citibank Singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
174 Replies, 123,512 Views
Cpf senior manager
6 Replies, 2,604 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,143 Replies, 634,940 Views
ICA (under Home Affairs) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
109 Replies, 172,810 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 05:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2