Lawyer Salary - Page 543 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #5421 (permalink)  
Old 18-05-2020, 11:43 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

WongP announced retention today, can confirm almost everyone retained

Reply With Quote
  #5422 (permalink)  
Old 19-05-2020, 04:05 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
WongP announced retention today, can confirm almost everyone retained
as a law student, can i just ask out of curiosity....for what reasons might someone not be retained, since it seems less likely?

Reply With Quote
  #5423 (permalink)  
Old 19-05-2020, 05:58 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
as a law student, can i just ask out of curiosity....for what reasons might someone not be retained, since it seems less likely?
Must be a unicorn in a Big 4 or from a smaller firm. Think there must be some firms with 0 retention.

Reply With Quote
  #5424 (permalink)  
Old 19-05-2020, 10:01 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Anyone know what salary is like for AGC/SLS officers?
Reply With Quote
  #5425 (permalink)  
Old 19-05-2020, 11:23 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
as a law student, can i just ask out of curiosity....for what reasons might someone not be retained, since it seems less likely?
Based on personal experience at big 4: They do mean it in these firms when they say they hire with a view to retention, but the situations which might make them not want to are usually personal attributes like laziness, difficult personality, not a team player etc.

Being bad at the work does not usually disqualify you. Trainees are there to learn and making mistakes is part of the process. However, I do recall one case where the trainee was so inept and submitted research which was blatantly wrong that s/he was not retained.
Reply With Quote
  #5426 (permalink)  
Old 19-05-2020, 12:08 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default AGC v Big4

Hey everyone, does everyone know the payscale of the AGC as compared to the Big4.

Specifically, alot of seniors in the civil sector claim that their pay is not too different (or even exceeds the Big4 pay in total compensation in the first 3-5 years). Does anyone know if that is true?

What I've heard so far:
- I know the big4 progression will be approximately, 500 part b, 2k trainee, 5.8k NQ, 800-900 every following year till PQE4-5.
- I know that the AGC pays full salary for graduates during part b and TC (meaning 6 months additional salary compared to the 500 part b allowance and 2k trainee honorarium). But what is their pay for a 1st class degree, and what's the pay for a 2nd upper?

Is this accurate?

Also, is the bonus situation very different? I heard that the big4 tends to pay 2 months (on top of the frontloaded bonus) - is the 2months based on the frontloaded salary or the "actual" salary - ergo is it 4k*2 or 6k*2?

For the AGC, is the bonus really about 4months or has that been exaggerated? If anyone can help to create a chart of total compensation for AGC as compared to big4, it would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote

  #5427 (permalink)  
Old 19-05-2020, 12:14 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Based on personal experience at big 4: They do mean it in these firms when they say they hire with a view to retention, but the situations which might make them not want to are usually personal attributes like laziness, difficult personality, not a team player etc.

Being bad at the work does not usually disqualify you. Trainees are there to learn and making mistakes is part of the process. However, I do recall one case where the trainee was so inept and submitted research which was blatantly wrong that s/he was not retained.
I largely agree. Most big 4 teams I've seen are quite slow to drop trainees unless that person is really jialat.

Apart from things not really within the trainee's control (i.e. sufficient team billings to retain), reasons include:
- general incompetence, no common sense, carelessness (never check work against primary documents, assume this assume that without proper basis, etc)
- attitude (lazy, intentionally / recklessly slipshod work, entitled / stuck-up)
- bad 'fit' with the team (don't underestimate this)

Being a star performer in school but doesn't mean one is immune from the above.
Reply With Quote
  #5428 (permalink)  
Old 19-05-2020, 12:27 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I largely agree. Most big 4 teams I've seen are quite slow to drop trainees unless that person is really jialat.

Apart from things not really within the trainee's control (i.e. sufficient team billings to retain), reasons include:
- general incompetence, no common sense, carelessness (never check work against primary documents, assume this assume that without proper basis, etc)
- attitude (lazy, intentionally / recklessly slipshod work, entitled / stuck-up)
- bad 'fit' with the team (don't underestimate this)

Being a star performer in school but doesn't mean one is immune from the above.
Honest question here, I know that pretty/handsome people generally have it easier in life, but is there a trend of retaining only the prettier recruits as opposed to the smarter but uglier ones? Like is it an open secret that attractive trainees will be retained regardless of work quality?
Reply With Quote
  #5429 (permalink)  
Old 19-05-2020, 12:40 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Honest question here, I know that pretty/handsome people generally have it easier in life, but is there a trend of retaining only the prettier recruits as opposed to the smarter but uglier ones? Like is it an open secret that attractive trainees will be retained regardless of work quality?
Not generally, but there are specific partners that do this.
There are partners who'll tell their pals that all other things being the same, they'll choose the ones with "nicer legs". Heard this with my own ears and honestly didn't know how to hide my disgust.
Reply With Quote
  #5430 (permalink)  
Old 19-05-2020, 12:58 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Not generally, but there are specific partners that do this.
There are partners who'll tell their pals that all other things being the same, they'll choose the ones with "nicer legs". Heard this with my own ears and honestly didn't know how to hide my disgust.
I agree that this kind of hiring practice is uncommon, but pockets of this do exist
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 12:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,240 Replies, 6,375,095 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,755 Replies, 1,009,986 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
20,880 Replies, 10,176,033 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,744 Replies, 1,347,506 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,242 Replies, 12,279,855 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,294 Replies, 983,658 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,070 Replies, 3,670,974 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,650 Replies, 4,845,108 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,755 Replies, 1,471,839 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,916 Replies, 2,875,914 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,395 Replies, 1,339,664 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,780 Replies, 4,571,797 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
621 Replies, 360,093 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,022 Replies, 423,435 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,177 Replies, 3,319,798 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,640 Replies, 1,491,001 Views
Aon Centre for Innovation and...
7 Replies, 5,581 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
482 Replies, 616,890 Views
Singapore Airlines ( 1 2)
18 Replies, 9,321 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
704 Replies, 522,058 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
884 Replies, 481,668 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
633 Replies, 318,995 Views
Jobs with travel opportunities
9 Replies, 3,848 Views
Salary ranges in Big Tech in...
2 Replies, 647 Views
A*Star (Agency for Science,... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
37 Replies, 97,244 Views
Anyone work in JPM/GS/Morgan... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
414 Replies, 155,816 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,963 Replies, 2,090,390 Views
GIC (Government of Singapore... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
418 Replies, 710,652 Views
Tuv Sud (TÜV SÜD)
2 Replies, 2,458 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,064 Replies, 2,239,672 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 07:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2