Lawyer Salary - Page 494 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

 Citibank Cash Back Card - up to $350 cash back* - Click to Apply Now 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #4931 (permalink)  
Old 26-03-2020, 03:22 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Had planned to move inhouse this year at 3PQE, but recruiters I've spoken to said the inhouse market is and will continue to be awful. Sigh.

Reply With Quote
  #4932 (permalink)  
Old 26-03-2020, 03:37 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Had planned to move inhouse this year at 3PQE, but recruiters I've spoken to said the inhouse market is and will continue to be awful. Sigh.
Well. people are still hiring..... it's just that pay is pretty shitty now.

Reply With Quote
  #4933 (permalink)  
Old 26-03-2020, 05:51 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

The insolvency market is saturated in Singapore.
Even if the no of insolvency cases go up, thereís a finite no of lawyers the market can absorb or support. In the 2008 GFC, lawyers from magic circles were let off in large troves.

Things like debt collection, the paralegals can already handle.

Letís just confine the discussion to prospect for NQ-3 PQE associates.
This group do not have a book of business and are extremely susceptible to market fluctuations.

Reply With Quote
  #4934 (permalink)  
Old 26-03-2020, 06:33 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The insolvency market is saturated in Singapore.
Even if the no of insolvency cases go up, thereís a finite no of lawyers the market can absorb or support. In the 2008 GFC, lawyers from magic circles were let off in large troves.

Things like debt collection, the paralegals can already handle.

Letís just confine the discussion to prospect for NQ-3 PQE associates.
This group do not have a book of business and are extremely susceptible to market fluctuations.
OP here again. I agree with your sentiment on big firms. I do not have experience working in a big firm and my friends that are have mentioned the 2008 retrenchment to me as well in our recent conversations. I do not doubt the voracity of your claims.

I think the small/med firm perspective is slightly different. While i agree that the insolvency market is saturated, i also feel that a lot of that saturation comes from high-priced lawyers (whether still in big firms or those who have broken off from bigger firms and now fall under the small/med category). The point being, they are high-priced.

Small/med firms have the benefit of being able to offer lower fees and we usually see an influx of cases during times like these. We get these cases because companies simply can't afford to pay these lawyers their high-fees.

As for debt collection... paralegals ask for a lot of money these days. The cost of an experience paralegal is about the same as the cost of an NQ-1 yr PQE lawyer, maybe even more. All things being equal, my preference would still be to have someone who can do the weekly court runs.

My position remains unchanged. No files - no work - no jobs. But if junior assocs are willing to bite the bullet (take a lot lower pay and handle cases they generally wouldn't handle), i think there may still be space for them in the industry.
Reply With Quote
  #4935 (permalink)  
Old 27-03-2020, 01:02 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
OP here again. I agree with your sentiment on big firms. I do not have experience working in a big firm and my friends that are have mentioned the 2008 retrenchment to me as well in our recent conversations. I do not doubt the voracity of your claims.

I think the small/med firm perspective is slightly different. While i agree that the insolvency market is saturated, i also feel that a lot of that saturation comes from high-priced lawyers (whether still in big firms or those who have broken off from bigger firms and now fall under the small/med category). The point being, they are high-priced.

Small/med firms have the benefit of being able to offer lower fees and we usually see an influx of cases during times like these. We get these cases because companies simply can't afford to pay these lawyers their high-fees.

As for debt collection... paralegals ask for a lot of money these days. The cost of an experience paralegal is about the same as the cost of an NQ-1 yr PQE lawyer, maybe even more. All things being equal, my preference would still be to have someone who can do the weekly court runs.

My position remains unchanged. No files - no work - no jobs. But if junior assocs are willing to bite the bullet (take a lot lower pay and handle cases they generally wouldn't handle), i think there may still be space for them in the industry.
Hi OP - can you share more about what you have heard about the 2008 retrenchments, in particular the big 4 local firms?
Reply With Quote
  #4936 (permalink)  
Old 27-03-2020, 09:16 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Well. people are still hiring..... it's just that pay is pretty shitty now.
Is 100k pa all-in too much to ask to exit at 3PQE?
Reply With Quote

  #4937 (permalink)  
Old 27-03-2020, 09:52 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Is 100k pa all-in too much to ask to exit at 3PQE?
Nothing is too much. Just ask. Can get is another thing. Aim high because increments will be much lower in house. Push for 120k at least I feel.
Reply With Quote
  #4938 (permalink)  
Old 27-03-2020, 10:27 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi OP - can you share more about what you have heard about the 2008 retrenchments, in particular the big 4 local firms?
A lot of the junior associates were retrenched. Most who were retrenched became too disillusioned to restart a career in law again. They did other things, and never mentioned that they were lawyers.
Reply With Quote
  #4939 (permalink)  
Old 27-03-2020, 10:31 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Is 100k pa all-in too much to ask to exit at 3PQE?
In this economic climate, the higher the pay, the quicker youíll be let go.
If youíre 3pqe and draw $6k compared to a NQ drawing $10k-$14k in the magic circle, who will be asked to go first?

Simple logic. If even govt ministers are not taking any salary for an entire financial quarter, why is the 3pqe lawyer so special?
Reply With Quote
  #4940 (permalink)  
Old 27-03-2020, 11:25 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

The disputes folks are safe. They had so much disputes/rni work in my firm during the GFC that they had to start conscripting the corp folks (who had no work).
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 12:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,319 Replies, 5,662,222 Views
I need honest advice. Jump to... ( 1 2)
19 Replies, 1,942 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,151 Replies, 2,726,580 Views
Pay grade at CSA ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
109 Replies, 28,388 Views
need some info on CNB ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 1,164 Views
Citibank Technology Analyst Program
9 Replies, 3,933 Views
Retiring in Taiwan
4 Replies, 168 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,942 Replies, 1,100,776 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
101 Replies, 18,205 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
102 Replies, 33,219 Views
How To Find Rich & Elite In...
1 Replies, 100 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,948 Replies, 3,755,199 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,723 Replies, 1,641,972 Views
Advantages
1 Replies, 853 Views
Private Banking Salaries ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
77 Replies, 101,336 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,275 Replies, 1,001,554 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,344 Replies, 1,933,257 Views
Aircraft Maintenance License and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
605 Replies, 461,465 Views
Mid-Year Civil Servant Bonus 2019 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,654 Replies, 790,263 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
405 Replies, 294,477 Views
Ntu sociology degree ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
57 Replies, 47,553 Views
Corporate Banking Analyst
7 Replies, 649 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,821 Replies, 281,993 Views
How much do you need to retire...
6 Replies, 280 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,117 Replies, 510,972 Views
Job offer from Apple ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
469 Replies, 91,226 Views
Whats your net worth ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,740 Replies, 805,205 Views
Getting funded for university
0 Replies, 110 Views
Unilever UFLP 2018 ( 1 2 3)
23 Replies, 7,897 Views
Advice for "Research Coordinator"...
7 Replies, 4,698 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 12:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2