The Most Irritating Taxi Drivers - Share your story - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

The Most Irritating Taxi Drivers - Share your story

Old 11-04-2012, 10:16 PM

EnRoute is on a distinguished road
Default The Most Irritating Taxi Drivers - Share your story

This thread is to share stories on the most irritating taxi drivers you have ever met.

Today, I had the misfortune of meeting one taxi driver who lectured me on my poor command of Mandarin. He spoke to me first in Mandarin, so I tried to talk to him in Mandarin, just to be polite. He then said that its because of people like me that the standard of Mandarin in SG is poor. He compared Singapore to Taiwan, and said that the future is China, and he is from a glorious Chinese school. I told him that although the future may be China, the present is still America. Its one of our strengths, that many Chinese Singaporeans are billingual.

I should have retorted that he should go and emigrate to Taiwan (but would Taiwan want him? That is the question) , and its because of my good command of English that I have a good job, and despite my relatively young age, he is driving me to my condo home which I could afford easily. But that would be mean, so I kept it in my head.

At first I gave directions in Mandarin. Towards the end I simply instructed him to turn left and right in plain English, loud and clear.

Another taxi driver tried to scold me for not knowing directions to my destination. I snapped back that its because I don't know the way, so I'm taking a taxi.

Then there was this crazy taxi driver that purposely veered centimeters close to the adjacent lady driver and kept on going, trying to intimidate her, before someone behind him horned.

What's wrong with these people ?! There is nothing wrong about being a taxi driver, but taxi drivers that are irritating, insulting and dangerous really make me angry.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:22 PM

shaz is on a distinguished road

taxis should have a feedback device for passengers to press "like" or "dislike" to grade their ride experience

from far, you can tell if the taxi is being driven by a good/bad driver by looking at the "ticked" sign = good driver or "X" sign = bad driver... lol

Wednesday's blues...

Old 11-04-2012, 11:27 PM
Unregistered

Try working alone for 12 hours a day 6 days a week for a few years and see how it changes your personality. Live and let live, they are just trying to earn a living.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:38 PM

shaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Try working alone for 12 hours a day 6 days a week for a few years and see how it changes your personality. Live and let live, they are just trying to earn a living.
i just met-up with an ex-colleague (retired) for dinner who is now driving a cab. For 9hrs of work, he can earn at least $150/day net (after paying taxi rental and petrol). >$200/day if work up to 12hrs or take less breaks or have good luck. Btw, they don't really drive 12hrs straight in one shift... will have breaks now and then... like any job, there is no need to be rude, sarcastic, or idiotic to 'normal' customers/passengers who want to get from point 'a' to point 'b'...

after hearing the true story of being a taxi driver, i don't really feel that sympathetic of their job...
Old 12-04-2012, 12:09 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaz View Post
i just met-up with an ex-colleague (retired) for dinner who is now driving a cab. For 9hrs of work, he can earn at least $150/day net (after paying taxi rental and petrol). >$200/day if work up to 12hrs or take less breaks or have good luck. Btw, they don't really drive 12hrs straight in one shift... will have breaks now and then... like any job, there is no need to be rude, sarcastic, or idiotic to 'normal' customers/passengers who want to get from point 'a' to point 'b'...

after hearing the true story of being a taxi driver, i don't really feel that sympathetic of their job...
I am not saying they have the right to be assholes. I am saying their work conditions will change their personality, and we should try to be more understanding.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 12-04-2012, 02:41 AM
Unregistered

They probably make more money than you.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:53 AM
Unregistered

Hmmm.. $100 dollars a day ? This is higher than alot of starting pays in the market. Anyone can advise how does one become a taxi driver? is there like a course to take? Also, do we need to memorise street directory? Thank you very much.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:48 AM
Unregistered

There's a taxi course with online test... will test you on basic english, places of interest and road routes in singapore....
Better be quick if you want to take up taxi driver license as a backup... although the profession might be perceived as a lowly profession compared with the others.. but there is no other job that can immediately put instant cash in your hands when you need it the most....
Not too sure if the authorities will slowly open the flood gates for FT to also infiltrate this sector like for the bus drivers... the Retirees/Unemployed better pray hard hard.. pray that the taxi operators companies will not give into their greed.. and allow FT to come in and snatch the very last ricebowl( paperplate ) away...

Quote:
Hmmm.. $100 dollars a day ? This is higher than alot of starting pays in the market. Anyone can advise how does one become a taxi driver? is there like a course to take? Also, do we need to memorise street directory? Thank you very much.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:24 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
There's a taxi course with online test... will test you on basic english, places of interest and road routes in singapore....
Better be quick if you want to take up taxi driver license as a backup... although the profession might be perceived as a lowly profession compared with the others.. but there is no other job that can immediately put instant cash in your hands when you need it the most....
Not too sure if the authorities will slowly open the flood gates for FT to also infiltrate this sector like for the bus drivers... the Retirees/Unemployed better pray hard hard.. pray that the taxi operators companies will not give into their greed.. and allow FT to come in and snatch the very last ricebowl( paperplate ) away...
The only advantage that locals have over the FTs is local knowledge, which reduces the training time required. Not only taxi driving, but other professions as well (e.g. law). For taxi driving, once the technology for GPS becomes more reliable, you can be certain that the SG drivers will be replaced by FTs. The SGs can then move on to do jobs that FTs don't want to do.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaz View Post
taxis should have a feedback device for passengers to press "like" or "dislike" to grade their ride experience

from far, you can tell if the taxi is being driven by a good/bad driver by looking at the "ticked" sign = good driver or "X" sign = bad driver... lol

Wednesday's blues...
Good suggestion. I fully support!