Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Headhunter

Old 10-10-2011, 10:15 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgcarlsberg View Post
wow!!! Thanks for the valuable inputs. I am thinking if the hired talent is paid S$150K then the commission cut is gonna be $30K (base on 20% cut). IMO, its a good deal but again its a very competitive market so is very tough.
Do you even read your own thread?

There is already a discussion past few post that explain difference between agency charge and commission. Your 30k is what they charge, not commission. Commission is about 10k-15k, which is actually not very attractive considering that to close the deal on a senior manager at 150k require a lot of work.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 06-04-2012, 11:45 AM
Unregistered

any headhunter can spill some insights to the daily operation?

Old 14-06-2012, 05:32 PM
Unregistered

Default Reply as a headhunter

Hi interestingly accidentally came across the threads and as a seasoned "executive level" headhunter, i really do wish to make some facts and justify.

Firstly: we are not glory looking HR administrator. I am not that pretty, if not - i will rather earn more in sales line than be in headhunting. (if you compare the kind of high pressures and funny people/ uncontrollable things we have to deal with daily at any hours).

2nd:Headhunter (the mid level to C levels) need to be of certain background to be a good one. Such as proven high level corporate experiences (many of them actually come from very good backgrounds), really good interpersonal skill and in able to coach, listen, influence, and secure buys in from all parties. It is not as simple as outsider may think dealing at this level with clients and candidates.

The fall out rate for headhunters are 80-90 percentage, only those with certain traits are able to last longer or find the passions to live the kind of life...

3rd: The firm does take big cut..if not how do the owners made good money?
So consultants and support teams doesnt take straight cut of 20-25 percent as believe by most, and it differs from firm to firm..some can get good incentives with lower base and some really very good money since the level they dealt with are big in salary...

4rd: for high level headhunting, it is essential as that is where you poach talents from competitors and market to fill up very critical hirings like CEO, GMs, FC etc...so yes, the fee they paid to search firm are very expensive (can recruit 40 admins person i think) but it is a needed as a business investment...

Lastly: This industry can be very fun and challenging for those who like new things daily, new faces, new informations and of course, a tough life (you should have a strong character to withstand many sets back esp as a new comer)

So i personally do not recommend people to join unless they have certain passions and traits..

Try to join a mid level recuitment firms as started - dun go for lower level...it is a wrong platform to be esp if you are not a fresh grad.

If you come from solid schools with very good results and smart brain, try big four retainers firms...you get very diff headstart and very diff exp as a headhunter...

Old 14-06-2012, 09:49 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Firstly: we are not glory looking HR administrator. I am not that pretty, if not - i will rather earn more in sales line than be in headhunting. (if you compare the kind of high pressures and funny people/ uncontrollable things we have to deal with daily at any hours).
Headhunting is a sales job. There is no need to equivocate by implying otherwise.

Quote:
2nd:Headhunter (the mid level to C levels) need to be of certain background to be a good one. Such as proven high level corporate experiences (many of them actually come from very good backgrounds), really good interpersonal skill and in able to coach, listen, influence, and secure buys in from all parties. It is not as simple as outsider may think dealing at this level with clients and candidates.
That is the image that every headhunter tries to portray to clients & candidates during initial contact - Professional, knowledgeable, well-connected, matured etc etc, but most of the time the image breaks down and the hard selling salesman predatory nature starts to show once we come to the actual interviewing and negotiation stage.

Quote:
The fall out rate for headhunters are 80-90 percentage, only those with certain traits are able to last longer or find the passions to live the kind of life...
Come on, headhunting is a sales job and just like any other sales job, turnover is high due to stress, uncommon work hours and failure to meet targets. That's all there is to it, you make it sound like some kind of noble social charitable work. Pleasezzzz

Quote:
So consultants and support teams doesnt take straight cut of 20-25 percent as believe by most, and it differs from firm to firm..some can get good incentives with lower base and some really very good money since the level they dealt with are big in salary...
This I agree. Most of the fee goes to the agency.

Quote:
Lastly: This industry can be very fun and challenging for those who like new things daily, new faces, new informations and of course, a tough life (you should have a strong character to withstand many sets back esp as a new comer)

So i personally do not recommend people to join unless they have certain passions and traits..
Again these are just generic statements that apply to any sales job around.

Quote:
If you come from solid schools with very good results and smart brain, try big four retainers firms...you get very diff headstart and very diff exp as a headhunter...
No offense to recruiters out there, but I seriously doubt any fresh graduate with solid academic qualifications would want to join a manpower agency.
Old 14-06-2012, 10:49 PM
Unregistered

Banks sales is more interesting.

IT sales is fast catching up though...
Old 14-06-2012, 11:36 PM

Liverpool is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi interestingly accidentally came across the threads and as a seasoned "executive level" headhunter, i really do wish to make some facts and justify.

4rd: for high level headhunting, it is essential as that is where you poach talents from competitors and market to fill up very critical hirings like CEO, GMs, FC etc...so yes, the fee they paid to search firm are very expensive (can recruit 40 admins person i think) but it is a needed as a business investment...

Try to join a mid level recuitment firms as started - dun go for lower level...it is a wrong platform to be esp if you are not a fresh grad.

what are the big 4 retainer firms?

Old 15-06-2012, 09:10 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverpool View Post
what are the big 4 retainer firms?
There is no such thing as big 4 retainer firm, this is a marketing gimic dreamt up by the recruitment agencies to rub shoulders with the real big 4 accounting firms.
Old 19-09-2012, 02:57 AM
Unregistered

Default Yes there are

Quote:
There is no such thing as big 4 retainer firm, this is a marketing gimic dreamt up by the recruitment agencies to rub shoulders with the real big 4 accounting firms.
They are Heidrick & Struggles, Korn/Ferry International, Russell Reynolds Associates and Spencer Stuart
Old 19-09-2012, 09:12 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
They are Heidrick & Struggles, Korn/Ferry International, Russell Reynolds Associates and Spencer Stuart
Nah they just happen to be the bigger hh outlets, nobody inside or outside the industry calls them big4, so misleading...

I think Egonzender is bigger than at least 2 of those
Old 19-09-2012, 12:17 PM
Unregistered

i thought big 4 always refer to the accounting companies, since when recruiter also got big 4?