Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Headhunter
Thread: Headhunter
View Single Post
Old 14-06-2012, 05:32 PM
Unregistered

Default Reply as a headhunter

Hi interestingly accidentally came across the threads and as a seasoned "executive level" headhunter, i really do wish to make some facts and justify.

Firstly: we are not glory looking HR administrator. I am not that pretty, if not - i will rather earn more in sales line than be in headhunting. (if you compare the kind of high pressures and funny people/ uncontrollable things we have to deal with daily at any hours).

2nd:Headhunter (the mid level to C levels) need to be of certain background to be a good one. Such as proven high level corporate experiences (many of them actually come from very good backgrounds), really good interpersonal skill and in able to coach, listen, influence, and secure buys in from all parties. It is not as simple as outsider may think dealing at this level with clients and candidates.

The fall out rate for headhunters are 80-90 percentage, only those with certain traits are able to last longer or find the passions to live the kind of life...

3rd: The firm does take big cut..if not how do the owners made good money?
So consultants and support teams doesnt take straight cut of 20-25 percent as believe by most, and it differs from firm to firm..some can get good incentives with lower base and some really very good money since the level they dealt with are big in salary...

4rd: for high level headhunting, it is essential as that is where you poach talents from competitors and market to fill up very critical hirings like CEO, GMs, FC etc...so yes, the fee they paid to search firm are very expensive (can recruit 40 admins person i think) but it is a needed as a business investment...

Lastly: This industry can be very fun and challenging for those who like new things daily, new faces, new informations and of course, a tough life (you should have a strong character to withstand many sets back esp as a new comer)

So i personally do not recommend people to join unless they have certain passions and traits..

Try to join a mid level recuitment firms as started - dun go for lower level...it is a wrong platform to be esp if you are not a fresh grad.

If you come from solid schools with very good results and smart brain, try big four retainers firms...you get very diff headstart and very diff exp as a headhunter...