Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 28-08-2021 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 181432)
Feeling a bit jaded.
I love teaching and the satisfaction of seeing my students succeed, and the sense of fulfillment from helping them with their issues outside of academics.
But the sheer amount of (meaningless, irrelevant) admin work and slow progression (earning just 5k+ at 31, laughable annual increment) makes me think of jumping out of teaching.

What are some viable careers if I were to leave teaching? Could someone share some of their own experience or perhaps what they've seen others do successfully once they have left teaching?

Actually im curious to know too. Im not a teacher but i dont think teachers can do anything more than maybe just administrative work in private sector if not in teaching.

Maybe teachers can pick up things fast and learn fast? So can contribute to maybe training users in tech platforms which involves alot of clicking around, understanding dependencies etc?

Anyway the decision to teach is actually made knowing full well that you wont be able to do anything else other than teaching if you are not ok with jumping for lower pay.

Unregistered 28-08-2021 12:34 PM

Quote:

Feeling a bit jaded.
I love teaching and the satisfaction of seeing my students succeed, and the sense of fulfillment from helping them with their issues outside of academics.
But the sheer amount of (meaningless, irrelevant) admin work and slow progression (earning just 5k+ at 31, laughable annual increment) makes me think of jumping out of teaching.

What are some viable careers if I were to leave teaching? Could someone share some of their own experience or perhaps what they've seen others do successfully once they have left teaching?

Can consider learning lab. Remuneration wise quite ok, workload should be much lesser.

Unregistered 28-08-2021 12:41 PM

Quote:

Feeling a bit jaded.

Actually isn't 5k+ at 31 great? What kind of salary point were you expecting as a civil servant?

Unregistered 28-08-2021 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 181438)
Actually isn't 5k+ at 31 great? What kind of salary point were you expecting as a civil servant?

I’m not a teacher. I’m also 31 and am earning 4k in an SME….

Unregistered 28-08-2021 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 181438)

I guess maybe I've spent too long in these forums hahaha. I see people hitting 100k at 29 or so quite easily in the private sector, yet I seem to be working much more (endless marking, dealing with a lot of "CCAs", extra things totally unrelated to academics or teaching).
I mean the intangible rewards are there but on the financial side compared to my peers, I just feel so left behind. And I wonder if I can't make a bigger impact outside of teaching..

Unregistered 28-08-2021 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 181450)
I guess maybe I've spent too long in these forums hahaha. I see people hitting 100k at 29 or so quite easily in the private sector, yet I seem to be working much more (endless marking, dealing with a lot of "CCAs", extra things totally unrelated to academics or teaching).
I mean the intangible rewards are there but on the financial side compared to my peers, I just feel so left behind. And I wonder if I can't make a bigger impact outside of teaching..

Earning 100k pa at 29-year old are for those at the 80 percentile level. Your income is pretty decent. All jobs have its own trade off. Suggest you look at the brighter side of your current position.

Unregistered 28-08-2021 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 181384)
The cap is much higher than this

Really? I might have made some mistakes in calculation (although… I can't seem to spot the error). Care to share the actual figures, then?

Unregistered 29-08-2021 06:11 PM

Quote:

Feeling a bit jaded.

5.1k is laughable to you?

Unregistered 29-08-2021 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 181520)
5.1k is laughable to you?

annual increment, based on what he/she said...

Out of curiosity, is 5k+ at 30-31 average in the civil sector, or just MOE/teachers?

Unregistered 30-08-2021 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 181525)
annual increment, based on what he/she said...

Out of curiosity, is 5k+ at 30-31 average in the civil sector, or just MOE/teachers?

Yeah, I was referring to the annual increment. I know ~5k is still a fairly respectable salary (pays the bills at least). But it's hard to aspire for anything more than average at that salary.
What are some good exit options for teachers? Other than selling insurance or being a real estate agent, that is.

Unregistered 30-08-2021 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 181593)
Yeah, I was referring to the annual increment. I know ~5k is still a fairly respectable salary (pays the bills at least). But it's hard to aspire for anything more than average at that salary.
What are some good exit options for teachers? Other than selling insurance or being a real estate agent, that is.

People are saying teachers can earn up even close to 10k after 7-8 years in the ministry.. any possible reasons why you don't seem to be in the same trajectory?

Private tutoring is your best bet - good money and chill life, no admin, CCA, side projects wtv..

Unregistered 30-08-2021 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 181594)
People are saying teachers can earn up even close to 10k after 7-8 years in the ministry.. any possible reasons why you don't seem to be in the same trajectory?

Private tutoring is your best bet - good money and chill life, no admin, CCA, side projects wtv..

The only way to earn ~10k after 7-8 years is if you are a slightly more senior HOD (fresh HODs don't start at 10k). How many HODs are there vs teachers...?

Other than private tutoring, how receptive is the outside industry towards teachers? Since I pretty much bao everything (from organizing events to counselling to customer service (parents...) to teaching to even tender preparation etc), by right teachers should be quite highly sought after outside due to their versatility and broad range of skills?

Unregistered 30-08-2021 07:02 PM

Quote:

Who r these pple talking to you?! seo1 max is abt 8.8
Not sure abt seo3 but last I know 10k is superscale which used to be Principal level.
Now glut so VPs can get superscale also....def not 7 to 8yrs...and def the super minority get it.

Unregistered 30-08-2021 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 181606)
Who r these pple talking to you?! seo1 max is abt 8.8
Not sure abt seo3 but last I know 10k is superscale which used to be Principal level.
Now glut so VPs can get superscale also....def not 7 to 8yrs...and def the super minority get it.

Does anyone else think school principals earning $10k is very very dismal for their years of experience and responsibilities they have to undertake? Any thoughts?

Unregistered 30-08-2021 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 181620)
Does anyone else think school principals earning $10k is very very dismal for their years of experience and responsibilities they have to undertake? Any thoughts?

Principals are earning way above 10k. At that level, shd be min 12k upwards. With maybe 18months package. But yes, if compared to banking, their pay is low since VPs in bank are around the same salary scale and one can reach VP level before mid 30s (good performers).

Unregistered 03-09-2021 06:06 PM

Happy teachers day to all!

Unregistered 04-09-2021 09:27 PM

Quote:

People are saying teachers can earn up even close to 10k after 7-8 years in the ministry..

The time norms between promotions pretty much guarantee that you will not hit 10k within 7-8 years.

Assuming you get your cohort promotion in one year, get promoted every two years thereafter, and receive a high (A grade) merit increment in the years you don't get promoted, you still won't be at 10k after 8 years. Even with the ideal situation described above, which is exceedingly rare, you will only be at the lower end of the SEO1 scale, drawing about 7k.

Unregistered 05-09-2021 11:49 AM

agree. those who say 10k after 7 to 8 years are obviously bullcrapping.

it depends on the rate of promotion n the grade the teacher is at. quite unlikely to hit 10k after 7 to 8 years.

teacher start at geo 2.
batch promotion 2 years later hit geo 3.
assuming teacher is high flyer 2 years later hit geo 4 (which is already v fast)
another 3 more years, hit geo 5.
which means hit geo 5 in 7 years ( considered v fast liao, ive seen teachers hit geo 5 in 5 years, n teachers hit seo1 in 10-11 years, but that's definitely not the norm)

ok back to hitting geo 5 in 7 years. geo 5 is definitely not 10k. a starting geo 5 is probably 6k or 6k plus only, since the geo 5 ceiling is 7k plus.

unless u r saying the teacher manage to hit seo1 grade in 7-8 years (which is super duper fast n extremely rare), n even then seo1 starting salary is also not 10k. seo starting salary is probably only 7k plus? with bonus maybe close to 9k. but 10k is way off.

Unregistered 05-09-2021 11:56 AM

i would say vp pay is about 9-11k, depending on seniority

n p's pay is 12k-15k, again on seniority, superscale etc.

But usually vp n p's age are quite old.

so those who aspire to hit five figure salary by mid 30s to early 40s, u have a much higher chance of hitting this kind of salary in private sector.

definitely not in moe or government sector. Most teachers (not earmarked for hod or leadership track) would hit 5-6k n their thirties, and 7-8k in their forties n fifties (referring to basic pay, have not included bonus).

in government sector, its not about the pay ,its more about the stability n recession proof.

Unregistered 05-09-2021 02:40 PM

s://.channelnewsasia.com/cna-insider/my-mental-health-all-time-low-teachers-talk-burnout-moe-aware-gaps-need-plugging-2157151

just when i signed on the dotted line

Unregistered 05-09-2021 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182137)
agree. those who say 10k after 7 to 8 years are obviously bullcrapping.

it depends on the rate of promotion n the grade the teacher is at. quite unlikely to hit 10k after 7 to 8 years.

teacher start at geo 2.
batch promotion 2 years later hit geo 3.
assuming teacher is high flyer 2 years later hit geo 4 (which is already v fast)
another 3 more years, hit geo 5.
which means hit geo 5 in 7 years ( considered v fast liao, ive seen teachers hit geo 5 in 5 years, n teachers hit seo1 in 10-11 years, but that's definitely not the norm)

ok back to hitting geo 5 in 7 years. geo 5 is definitely not 10k. a starting geo 5 is probably 6k or 6k plus only, since the geo 5 ceiling is 7k plus.

unless u r saying the teacher manage to hit seo1 grade in 7-8 years (which is super duper fast n extremely rare), n even then seo1 starting salary is also not 10k. seo starting salary is probably only 7k plus? with bonus maybe close to 9k. but 10k is way off.

Thank you for sharing this - this is exactly what forummers like us need to have a detailed outline of the trajectory and progression as an MOE staff. Kudos to you!

Unregistered 05-09-2021 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182148)
s://.channelnewsasia.com/cna-insider/my-mental-health-all-time-low-teachers-talk-burnout-moe-aware-gaps-need-plugging-2157151

just when i signed on the dotted line

Just some questions for prospective, current and ex-teachers...And perhaps for the public as well...

Despite such challenges making it into the news, will it truly change anything in the long term?

How many times have these challenges been surfaced in the last 10 years?

How many occasions have top management personnel really done something concrete to address this?

By reducing recruitment in huge numbers and merging schools, is it beneficial to save that labour cost by expecting current teachers to take on the extra workload and maintain huge class sizes?

Unregistered 05-09-2021 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182161)
Just some questions for prospective, current and ex-teachers...And perhaps for the public as well...

Despite such challenges making it into the news, will it truly change anything in the long term?

How many times have these challenges been surfaced in the last 10 years?

How many occasions have top management personnel really done something concrete to address this?

By reducing recruitment in huge numbers and merging schools, is it beneficial to save that labour cost by expecting current teachers to take on the extra workload and maintain huge class sizes?

cos the idiots up there die2 say smaller classrooms doesnt mean better. -.-

Unregistered 05-09-2021 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182164)
cos the idiots up there die2 say smaller classrooms doesnt mean better. -.-

Cherry picking evidence to push an agenda. What's new?

Unregistered 06-09-2021 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 180061)
From 2021, C- will deny you connection plan deposit for that entire year of work.

Not true. Went to confirm against the circular from Oct 2020. Previously, D was eligible for annual deposit. From 2021, a minimum of C- is needed for annual deposit.

Unregistered 07-09-2021 10:55 AM

Is there an increment when you take up SH position?
How much will that be?

Puzzled 07-09-2021 01:20 PM

HOD to VP

I am 35 this year, appointed HOD for 3 years. Wondering how to bring up the topic to have a sensing of my runway towards becoming a VPz

Unregistered 07-09-2021 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182299)
Is there an increment when you take up SH position?
How much will that be?

There is a responsibility allowance depending on your substantive grade. If you are GEO 4, it’s about $3000 a year. If you are GEO 5, I think it’s about $1800-$2000. If you are SEO1, no allowance.

Unregistered 07-09-2021 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182314)
There is a responsibility allowance depending on your substantive grade. If you are GEO 4, it’s about $3000 a year. If you are GEO 5, I think it’s about $1800-$2000. If you are SEO1, no allowance.

Is the workload of a SH heavier than normal teacher?

Unregistered 07-09-2021 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182317)

Definitely. Officially, you will get 20% offloading but the additional workload is more than the 20% offloading. You’ll still have either FT/CCA duties in most schools. Only HODs are offloaded from FT/CCA duties.

Unregistered 08-09-2021 02:24 PM

GEO5 allowance is$1300 a year.

Unregistered 08-09-2021 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182317)

The offload is in terms of teaching periods. But there will be more projects for you to implement and oversee, more teachers under you to develop their career aspirations, observe other teachers ‘ lessons, etc. More meetings also for you in the afternoon to zoom or attend physically in the past.

Unregistered 08-09-2021 05:28 PM

SEP quantum

how much is SEP quantum? realised got odd figure increase from the $500 drawn in previous September.

Unregistered 08-09-2021 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182424)
how much is SEP quantum? realised got odd figure increase from the $500 drawn in previous September.

I only got $500 leh.

Unregistered 08-09-2021 09:33 PM

Quote:

More senior officers get $700. Can't remember if it's GEO5 and above, or based on years in service.

Unregistered 08-09-2021 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182437)
More senior officers get $700. Can't remember if it's GEO5 and above, or based on years in service.

used to be 400 and 700 but claim thru receipts.
then very smart already put in Sept pay...so 700 becomes 500 after deduct cpf -.-

Unregistered 08-09-2021 11:33 PM

Quote:

You got promoted to GEO5 this year. Hence the odd increase . Consider it prorate as GEO5 will get $700

Unregistered 09-09-2021 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puzzled (Post 182313)
I am 35 this year, appointed HOD for 3 years. Wondering how to bring up the topic to have a sensing of my runway towards becoming a VPz

I guess just be upfront and ask about how you can develop yourself further to reach the next step in the leadership track?

just a cher 10-09-2021 10:11 AM

Just for sharing

Seems like many people always ask about this. I only have 2nd lower from NIE, bachelor degree, no NS, no scholarship or TA

I got curious about my own ‘progression’ and went to check my emails for promotion year, grade, pay, PB grade & number of months. Missing info for first 2 years as there’s no email… maybe they didn’t use to email us? Not sure. Prior to this compilation, I don’t know my PB or pay ‘cause I don’t keep track (lol the type who just spend and save and live life as it is).

Year on year - GEO (PB, months) [other info]
( $xxxx is the pay in October of that year)

GEO 1.1 (joined in June)
GEO 1.1
GEO 1A1 $42xx (B 2.25) [batch promo]
GEO 1A1/3 $43xx -> $45xx wef Oct (C+ 2.2)
GEO 4 $50xx (B 2.4) [promo] [Connect Plan Y4 payout]
GEO 4 $52xx (C 1.5)
GEO 4 $54xx (C 1.5)
GEO 4 $56xx (C+ 2) [NPL] [Connect Plan Y7 payout]
GEO 4 $57xx (C 1.5)
GEO 4 ST $58xx (B 2.6)
GEO 4

Should be average. Hav friends faster & also have friends slower. Some still at GEO 3, some promoted to GEO 4 1 y earlier than me, some promoted to GEO 4 a few years Slower.

Most probably I will retire at SEO 1 (since I am a ST). Thought I’d be at GEO 4 for a long time until 40s to get GEO 5 (then just HOT lor), but got recommended to take up a ST position.

Leaving here for reference.

Unregistered 10-09-2021 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by just a cher (Post 182536)
Seems like many people always ask about this. I only have 2nd lower from NIE, bachelor degree, no NS, no scholarship or TA

I got curious about my own ‘progression’ and went to check my emails for promotion year, grade, pay, PB grade & number of months. Missing info for first 2 years as there’s no email… maybe they didn’t use to email us? Not sure. Prior to this compilation, I don’t know my PB or pay ‘cause I don’t keep track (lol the type who just spend and save and live life as it is).

Year on year - GEO (PB, months) [other info]
( $xxxx is the pay in October of that year)

GEO 1.1 (joined in June)
GEO 1.1
GEO 1A1 $42xx (B 2.25) [batch promo]
GEO 1A1/3 $43xx -> $45xx wef Oct (C+ 2.2)
GEO 4 $50xx (B 2.4) [promo] [Connect Plan Y4 payout]
GEO 4 $52xx (C 1.5)
GEO 4 $54xx (C 1.5)
GEO 4 $56xx (C+ 2) [NPL] [Connect Plan Y7 payout]
GEO 4 $57xx (C 1.5)
GEO 4 ST $58xx (B 2.6)
GEO 4

Should be average. Hav friends faster & also have friends slower. Some still at GEO 3, some promoted to GEO 4 1 y earlier than me, some promoted to GEO 4 a few years Slower.

Most probably I will retire at SEO 1 (since I am a ST). Thought I’d be at GEO 4 for a long time until 40s to get GEO 5 (then just HOT lor), but got recommended to take up a ST position.

Leaving here for reference.

You joined service in 2011?