Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 02-04-2023 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244752)
For 5a should be special be a to qualify for 5a you MUST already be at ceiling for 5 which is 8250. What we want to know is the ceiling. Hopefully a new 5a can tell us. I’m guessing 9k ah

For those already at 5 Ceiling, how common is it to get 5A?

Unregistered 02-04-2023 09:56 AM

Ex teacher here. For young officers, good to leave service early while you are still young and haven't lag as far back as your peers in other industries. Increments of 2.5% and promotion increments of 5-10% is derisory. Other sectors, promotions usually have 10-20% increments. For those who jump ship, 20-35% pay raise is common. Don't waste your youth in an organisation that doesn't value its staff. They always pay lip service and say how teachers are important, how the work you do is important, yet their actions don't match their words. Look at how they manage pay, staffing, and how they protect teachers when teachers' rights are violated

The longer you stay, the harder to leave.

Unregistered 02-04-2023 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244760)
Ex teacher here. For young officers, good to leave service early while you are still young and haven't lag as far back as your peers in other industries. Increments of 2.5% and promotion increments of 5-10% is derisory. Other sectors, promotions usually have 10-20% increments. For those who jump ship, 20-35% pay raise is common. Don't waste your youth in an organisation that doesn't value its staff. They always pay lip service and say how teachers are important, how the work you do is important, yet their actions don't match their words. Look at how they manage pay, staffing, and how they protect teachers when teachers' rights are violated

Other sectors, being appointed to a management position means you automatically are emplaced on a management pay grade. No such thing as you slowly climb the ladder one rung at a time until you finally reach the management pay grade.

Some MNCs are already learning from this bad example from the public service and are doing the same to save cost on their young and motivated managers.

Unregistered 02-04-2023 11:22 AM

Quote:

u mean u joined teaching expecting to be paid well??? the private sector makes profits. of course the pay can be much higher

Unregistered 02-04-2023 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244762)
Other sectors, being appointed to a management position means you automatically are emplaced on a management pay grade. No such thing as you slowly climb the ladder one rung at a time until you finally reach the management pay grade.

Some MNCs are already learning from this bad example from the public service and are doing the same to save cost on their young and motivated managers.

Yeah sia. This is damn BS. Even the SAF does it better. Bn CO is given command as a MAJ, then as long as he/she meets the performance expectation, will get LTC by the following work year. Like clockwork. No uncertainty, no 3-5 year wait time. Of course, there are the hentak kaki servicemen, but they won't be asked to hold key command appointments if they have no promotion prospects.

Unregistered 02-04-2023 12:12 PM

Quote:

curious, which industry did u jump to? did u have to sacrifice any time or opportunity cost?

Unregistered 02-04-2023 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244758)
You won't get through to this type of person. Enjoyed some success in their own career, suddenly yaya papaya. Seen some young KPs in schools like that. Nice and nurturing to students but treat their colleagues and fellow teachers in the fraternity like shlt.

I couldn’t agree more. Currently a KP and at a point of my career, I am satisfied being a HOT until I literally met a BT who is a total bitch and assign with me as a co-form, this is done as the school hopes that I will mentor her. At that point of time, I have declined SH and AYH role as I want to focus on my family. Well this bitch literally step on my toes everywhere, especially with her insensitive speeches and backstabbing actions, the school is very interested to groom her and she is not even a scholar, her words are basically louder than her actions. In my 8 years of service, I have never met such a bitch like her, such of her insensitive ways was complained to her RO about her department colleague who is doing a project with her and did not even bother to thrash it out with her colleagues. With me, was doing a collaboration with an external organisation, after one of the zoom meeting, she stayed back to ask the external organisation how she can improve the project when me and other teachers have left. She did not know that the in charege of the extrernal organisation is my personal friend and more damning is how she belittle me and other teachers behind our back in front of the external organisation. Abosolutely disgusting.Was offered SH role and took it, become HOD within 2 years as the previous HOD transfer to HQ. She is still a bitch today, school is still trying to groom her but I made a promise to myself to keep her in check and from time to time remind her RO don’t believe in everything she say. Can’t believe I took up leadership role due to her but motivation really appear in all sorts of manner.

Unregistered 02-04-2023 12:29 PM

Have come across many colleagues like that in my career at MOE.

They go around putting those whom they do not like. Little do they know that we can very easily hear what they are saying.

Quite sad that these young people are doing such things at their tender age. Really wonder what will happen to them with such negative attitude when they are older and realize they are stuck in teaching job forever precisely because of their negativity

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244771)
I couldn’t agree more. Currently a KP and at a point of my career, I am satisfied being a HOT until I literally met a BT who is a total bitch and assign with me as a co-form, this is done as the school hopes that I will mentor her. At that point of time, I have declined SH and AYH role as I want to focus on my family. Well this bitch literally step on my toes everywhere, especially with her insensitive speeches and backstabbing actions, the school is very interested to groom her and she is not even a scholar, her words are basically louder than her actions. In my 8 years of service, I have never met such a bitch like her, such of her insensitive ways was complained to her RO about her department colleague who is doing a project with her and did not even bother to thrash it out with her colleagues. With me, was doing a collaboration with an external organisation, after one of the zoom meeting, she stayed back to ask the external organisation how she can improve the project when me and other teachers have left. She did not know that the in charege of the extrernal organisation is my personal friend and more damning is how she belittle me and other teachers behind our back in front of the external organisation. Abosolutely disgusting.Was offered SH role and took it, become HOD within 2 years as the previous HOD transfer to HQ. She is still a bitch today, school is still trying to groom her but I made a promise to myself to keep her in check and from time to time remind her RO don’t believe in everything she say. Can’t believe I took up leadership role due to her but motivation really appear in all sorts of manner.

Unregistered 02-04-2023 12:36 PM

Err….you just putted yourself yeah? External vendor personal friend Conflict of interest unless you already declared.

Quote:

Unregistered 02-04-2023 12:54 PM

Errr its collaboration with an external organisation not a vendor…

Unregistered 02-04-2023 01:16 PM

Quote:

Guarantee this is the kind of young teacher who thinks that they are very capable and that older teachers have nothing to contribute. The younger generation entitlement mentality is just too much. They think they deserve so many things even without having done or proven anything.

Unregistered 02-04-2023 01:54 PM

1) just because u see little value in your colleague, doesn’t mean he/she has no value to the education system. Perhaps your own ROs, the SLs saw the potential in her and decided to groom her. Who are you to put her down?

2) u became KP just because of your hatred towards her? I’d like you to repeat this to your RO.

Wish you all the best as you continue your career in education. Wanna see how long you last as KP when it’s based on your like/dislike toward one person.

Quote:

Unregistered 02-04-2023 01:56 PM

Teachers are very busy, should treasure the weekends resting, spending time with loved ones, rather than posting here

Unregistered 02-04-2023 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244764)
u mean u joined teaching expecting to be paid well??? the private sector makes profits. of course the pay can be much higher

The GEO timescales are generally derisory. The only attractive part is the top of each range. Everything else is a joke, including merit increment quanta, PB quanta (a 1.4 month PB in a stat board, for example, likely means that your performance is borderline rubbish), and advancement rate.

SEO grades are more aligned to the larger public service, but even those are being nerfed bit by bit.

Unregistered 02-04-2023 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244768)
Yeah sia. This is damn BS. Even the SAF does it better. Bn CO is given command as a MAJ, then as long as he/she meets the performance expectation, will get LTC by the following work year. Like clockwork. No uncertainty, no 3-5 year wait time. Of course, there are the hentak kaki servicemen, but they won't be asked to hold key command appointments if they have no promotion prospects.

don't the Bn CO need to climb from MAJ1 to MAJ2 first?

Unregistered 02-04-2023 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244787)
Teachers are very busy, should treasure the weekends resting, spending time with loved ones, rather than posting here

Thank u for the reminder . Now shoo

Unregistered 02-04-2023 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244786)
1) just because u see little value in your colleague, doesn’t mean he/she has no value to the education system. Perhaps your own ROs, the SLs saw the potential in her and decided to groom her. Who are you to put her down?

2) u became KP just because of your hatred towards her? I’d like you to repeat this to your RO.

Wish you all the best as you continue your career in education. Wanna see how long you last as KP when it’s based on your like/dislike toward one person.

I have seen other younger EOs who are much more capable and yet have a better attitude(before I became a KP, I was often assigned as CTs or mentors to younger teachers )as compared to her and I am not alone in my sentiments towards her.

Becoming a kp for me is a matter of my choice and capability and I did it partly to ensure the other KPs and SLs are aware of what she is capable and incapable of.

I have and always worked well with my colleagues, be it my fellow KPs or my reportees. For context, she is the only one that thoroughly disgusted me with her actions.

Unregistered 02-04-2023 04:08 PM

The part about becoming a KP because of your dislike of the colleague, u dare to tell your RO?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244801)
I have seen other younger EOs who are much more capable and yet have a better attitude(before I became a KP, I was often assigned as CTs or mentors to younger teachers )as compared to her and I am not alone in my sentiments towards her.

Becoming a kp for me is a matter of my choice and capability and I did it partly to ensure the other KPs and SLs are aware of what she is capable and incapable of.

I have and always worked well with my colleagues, be it my fellow KPs or my reportees. For context, she is the only one that thoroughly disgusted me with her actions.

Unregistered 02-04-2023 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244813)
The part about becoming a KP because of your dislike of the colleague, u dare to tell your RO?

Why does it matter whether she tells her RO or not? We have different motivations of achieving something ... just like how some students do well because they want to prove their teachers wrong for not believing in them. Might involve dislike to a certain level. Motivation doesn't always have to stem from something positive all the time. And those not-so-positive ones, I believe she has the right not to tell her superiors.

Unregistered 02-04-2023 05:42 PM

Quote:

Lol you good. Come to a thread about teaching career to SJW. We don't need your SJW bullcrap here. Teachers tend to be good at heart, but it doesn't mean all teachers are saintly, innocent and fully altruistic. Why can't part of their motivation to do well at work be extrinsic and from a negative source? So what if it is, and does it matter if this KP does their job well, including genuinely managing people well?

Unregistered 02-04-2023 06:44 PM

Hi all. I understand that for FAJT, the per hour rate is pegged to my last drawn pay. Is there any way I can find out the actual amount? If so, do I approach my school's HR or MOE HR? Thanks in advance!

Unregistered 02-04-2023 07:02 PM

Which GEO grade were u at? Based on that, u will just get a standard pay. That’s all

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244855)
Hi all. I understand that for FAJT, the per hour rate is pegged to my last drawn pay. Is there any way I can find out the actual amount? If so, do I approach my school's HR or MOE HR? Thanks in advance!

Unregistered 02-04-2023 07:21 PM

Quote:

Your RO ask you if why u wanna be KP, you will tell them you want to earn more money meh? No right, obviously you don't tell anyone whatever internal motivations you may have

Unregistered 02-04-2023 07:44 PM

Quote:

The school will be able to tell you.

Unregistered 02-04-2023 10:34 PM

Quote:

From what ppl claim GEO4 and GEO5 is same at 50/hr. Its actually good if u can get the number of hours!

Unregistered 02-04-2023 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244867)
The school will be able to tell you.

Ah alrightey. Guess I'll ask my school's admin staff then. Thanks!

Unregistered 02-04-2023 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244859)
Which GEO grade were u at? Based on that, u will just get a standard pay. That’s all

I'm a GEO 4 currently. What do you mean by standard pay? What can I do to calculate my per hour rate based on the current salary point I have now?

Unregistered 02-04-2023 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244895)
From what ppl claim GEO4 and GEO5 is same at 50/hr. Its actually good if u can get the number of hours!

That sounds promising! Heh. Gonna take that step soon, after getting my 15th year connect payout. That time can't come soon enough! 😊

Unregistered 03-04-2023 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244901)
I'm a GEO 4 currently. What do you mean by standard pay? What can I do to calculate my per hour rate based on the current salary point I have now?

First hour $70, subsequent hourly rate $45, as of 2021. Not sure if things have changed.

Unregistered 03-04-2023 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244906)
First hour $70, subsequent hourly rate $45, as of 2021. Not sure if things have changed.

Thanks for the info!

Unregistered 03-04-2023 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244764)

While we don't expect to make loads of money compared to private sector, but based on conversations with friends from other parts of public service, teacher salaries and career progression seems lower and slower. People with the same number of years in service would be already be at a higher paygrade and therefore higher salary band, compared to EOs, where the slower promotion and miniscule pay increments result in others overtaking us after around 5 years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244770)
curious, which industry did u jump to? did u have to sacrifice any time or opportunity cost?

Quit and joined another ministry. Definitely more worklife balance, and don't have to work after office hours. Pay is in fact slightly higher. Think HR had to bump up my pay in order not to have so much of a gap with current colleagues' pay.

Unregistered 03-04-2023 08:22 AM

Able to share how long did u spend in MOE before switching over? What were some issues u faced when making the switch? Thanks so much!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244915)
While we don't expect to make loads of money compared to private sector, but based on conversations with friends from other parts of public service, teacher salaries and career progression seems lower and slower. People with the same number of years in service would be already be at a higher paygrade and therefore higher salary band, compared to EOs, where the slower promotion and miniscule pay increments result in others overtaking us after around 5 years.

Quit and joined another ministry. Definitely more worklife balance, and don't have to work after office hours. Pay is in fact slightly higher. Think HR had to bump up my pay in order not to have so much of a gap with current colleagues' pay.

Unregistered 03-04-2023 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244915)

Jumping to another ministry, even to a generic scheme (e.g. MXO), will expose a large progression gap with same-age peers, which gets wider and wider the more years you have been in the Education service.

It is even more shocking (in a good way) if you manage to get into a different specialised scheme.

Unregistered 03-04-2023 11:12 AM

why nt promoted

im quite bumped abt not moving up to geo 4 despite being in service since 2015/2016
2015 pgde
2016 promoted to geo 3
2017 3 C+ (boss say it will be default c+ bc just gt promoted)
2018 3 C+
2019 3 C+ ML
2020 3 C+ ML (boss say it will be default c+)
2021 3 C+
2022 3 B (why nt promoted here?!)
2023 3 C

im ok nt to take up KP position, but nt moving up the ranks is like...

Unregistered 03-04-2023 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244935)
im quite bumped abt not moving up to geo 4 despite being in service since 2015/2016
2015 pgde
2016 promoted to geo 3
2018 3 C+
2019 3 C+ ML
2021 3 C+
2023 3 C

ya some ppl moved to geo4 at 2020 alr

Unregistered 03-04-2023 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244922)
Jumping to another ministry, even to a generic scheme (e.g. MXO), will expose a large progression gap with same-age peers, which gets wider and wider the more years you have been in the Education service.

It is even more shocking (in a good way) if you manage to get into a different specialised scheme.

so u mean its better to jump?

will eo be able to go back to moe shld they feel that the ministry they jumped to is unsuitable?

Unregistered 03-04-2023 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244943)
so u mean its better to jump?

will eo be able to go back to moe shld they feel that the ministry they jumped to is unsuitable?

1. If you are happy to explore other areas of work and/or if you want salary progression that is more in line with the majority of the public service, yes.

2. Generally speaking, it is insanely competitive to apply to enter/re-enter the Education scheme of service. I would say chances are extremely slim at the moment unless you are teaching niche subjects and/or in Pri sch. Short answer: not easy

Unregistered 03-04-2023 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244944)
1. If you are happy to explore other areas of work and/or if you want salary progression that is more in line with the majority of the public service, yes.

2. Generally speaking, it is insanely competitive to apply to enter/re-enter the Education scheme of service. I would say chances are extremely slim at the moment unless you are teaching niche subjects and/or in Pri sch. Short answer: not easy

thank you for replying.

firstly, how do I know if my salary is more in line with the majority of the public service?

Unregistered 03-04-2023 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244944)

hi, is it normal to be stuck at geo 3 for 7-8 years?

Unregistered 03-04-2023 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244935)
2015 pgde
2016 promoted to geo 3
2018 3 C+
2019 3 C+ ML
2021 3 C+
2023 3 C

I'm not agreeing with what HR is doing, but the reasoning given to you will be because you don't take up KP position and/or don't work above the geo3 subgrade expectation, that's why you are not promoted.

Any teacher who has worked in a school before including myself knows this is not true lah. With so many years of exp, your work is probably already similar in impact to any geo5 in the same school. But what to do? :(