Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 03-04-2023 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244947)
hi, is it normal to be stuck at geo 3 for 7-8 years?

before 2015, absolutely not unless you made a lot of mistakes and kena warning letter.

Nowadays, it's becoming more and more common for teachers who just want to stay as teachers.

Unregistered 03-04-2023 12:16 PM

MOE had definitely slowed down promotion rates in the last few years. Picture the scenario where almost everyone is at GEO 5. This is for sure unhealthy and would mean a huge wage bill

Unregistered 03-04-2023 12:20 PM

Have you heard of this common way of thinking?

If you

1) are not on KP track
2) intend to stay for life as a teacher,

Why would MOE speedily promote u to the apex rung for common teachers? That would mean the end of your promotions for the next xx years till you retire.

Just sharing some way of thinking it

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244935)
im quite bumped abt not moving up to geo 4 despite being in service since 2015/2016
2015 pgde
2016 promoted to geo 3
2017 3 C+ (boss say it will be default c+ bc just gt promoted)
2018 3 C+
2019 3 C+ ML
2020 3 C+ ML (boss say it will be default c+)
2021 3 C+
2022 3 B (why nt promoted here?!)
2023 3 C

im ok nt to take up KP position, but nt moving up the ranks is like...

Unregistered 03-04-2023 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244948)
I'm not agreeing with what HR is doing, but the reasoning given to you will be because you don't take up KP position and/or don't work above the geo3 subgrade expectation, that's why you are not promoted.

Any teacher who has worked in a school before including myself knows this is not true lah. With so many years of exp, your work is probably already similar in impact to any geo5 in the same school. But what to do? :(

my work scope is definitely more than geo 3 from 2016-2019, ic for cca + comm is a main thing + did lots of events + level coordinator + plt lead

thats why im so bump abt the no promotion

2020-current, im so jaded, i just dont want to do much, but no major mistakes and maybe thats why im stuck.

im rly rly depressed abt this.

for the past few years i cried so much and been so down. i think im sinking into depression and anxiety.

Unregistered 03-04-2023 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244951)
Have you heard of this common way of thinking?

If you

1) are not on KP track
2) intend to stay for life as a teacher,

Why would MOE speedily promote u to the apex rung for common teachers? That would mean the end of your promotions for the next xx years till you retire.

Just sharing some way of thinking it

why not move me to the nxt level for common teachers. to be honest, geo3/4 or not, the job scope is abt the same, except for kps who do more organisation works (leadership/deployment) and they get geo 4 + additional pay for it.
im only looking at geo 4. if im given kp stuffs i will still do.

but its just so sad to be stuck at geo3.

Unregistered 03-04-2023 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244957)
my work scope is definitely more than geo 3 from 2016-2019, ic for cca + comm is a main thing + did lots of events + level coordinator + plt lead

2020-current, im so jaded, i just dont want to do much, but no major mistakes and maybe thats why im stuck.

for the past few years i cried so much and been so down. i think im sinking into depression and anxiety.

I have been stuck at geo 3 for 7 years. You are not the
only one who is depressed about this. I think lately promotion
has been really slow. If you want to get more pay without dealing without the additional
responsibilities and stress, I would suggest you to teach
tuition after work (maybe on weekend morning).. so you can get
GEO 4 pay but remain as a happy ordinary teacher.

Unregistered 03-04-2023 01:58 PM

Without being rude, the fact that you are still in the same job says a lot. As a system, why should MOE promote when it’s unlikely u will leave? Even if you leave, there are many others behind you. It’s just a cycle of slow promotions, unhappiness, but workers who tend to stick around till retirement…

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244959)
why not move me to the nxt level for common teachers. to be honest, geo3/4 or not, the job scope is abt the same, except for kps who do more organisation works (leadership/deployment) and they get geo 4 + additional pay for it.
im only looking at geo 4. if im given kp stuffs i will still do.

but its just so sad to be stuck at geo3.

Unregistered 03-04-2023 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244964)
I have been stuck at geo 3 for 7 years. You are not the
only one who is depressed about this. I think lately promotion
has been really slow. If you want to get more pay without dealing without the additional
responsibilities and stress, I would suggest you to teach
tuition after work (maybe on weekend morning).. so you can get
GEO 4 pay but remain as a happy ordinary teacher.

thank you for letting me know that im not alone and the suggestions.

Unregistered 03-04-2023 03:03 PM

GEO 5 KP, MI 3.9%, PB - A
Hopefully next year got chance of a promo to SEO 1 soon, reaching ceiling of 8250.

Unregistered 03-04-2023 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244948)
I'm not agreeing with what HR is doing, but the reasoning given to you will be because you don't take up KP position and/or don't work above the geo3 subgrade expectation, that's why you are not promoted.

Any teacher who has worked in a school before including myself knows this is not true lah. With so many years of exp, your work is probably already similar in impact to any geo5 in the same school. But what to do? :(

Its strange default is C+. Default as I know it in many schools is C.

Unregistered 03-04-2023 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244950)
MOE had definitely slowed down promotion rates in the last few years. Picture the scenario where almost everyone is at GEO 5. This is for sure unhealthy and would mean a huge wage bill

I dont think its the wage bill as much as the demoralisation that comes with hitting salary cap...

Unregistered 03-04-2023 03:32 PM

Quote:

Dude, do u lack self-esteem? U are not bonded to ur school. There are other schools and HQ Div. if u hv done a lot in school, u shoyld be able to make valuable contributions at HQ deps as u will know what u are takktalking abt. TBH if u hv spend enough years in a subgrade, HQ should get u promoted unless u are incompetent.

Unregistered 03-04-2023 04:02 PM

2017 GEO2, joined service
2018 C
2019 Promoted to GEO 3, B
2020 B
2021 B
2022 B, int SH
2023 B, int SH

Still not promoted to GEO 4. Female PGDE. Can someone explain why.
Maybe my CEP is low…

Unregistered 03-04-2023 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244979)
2017 GEO2, joined service
2018 C
2019 Promoted to GEO 3, B
2020 B
2021 B
2022 B, int SH
2023 B, int SH

Still not promoted to GEO 4. Female PGDE. Can someone explain why.
Maybe my CEP is low…

u are really doing geo4 stuffs with the int SH :( they rly should promote you to geo4. but at least they gave you a B pb.

Unregistered 03-04-2023 05:03 PM

Quote:

I was in your shoes 3-4 years back. There was a time when the toxicity got to me so much that I had to go for counselling. After being in a school which never promoted me after 5 years, I decided to transfer out to another school. I managed to get promoted two years later and also can feel that the school is sincerely guiding me by giving me more opportunities and guiding me accordingly. You might want to try to apply for OPE this year and see if it helps. All the best.

Unregistered 03-04-2023 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244970)
GEO 5 KP, MI 3.9%, PB - A
Hopefully next year got chance of a promo to SEO 1 soon, reaching ceiling of 8250.

Is the salary revision out already?

Unregistered 03-04-2023 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244985)
Is the salary revision out already?

Under Pay advice and Related Statements in HRP.
You will see your current salary point, taking into account the MI.

Unregistered 03-04-2023 06:14 PM

Im also stuck at geo3 for 7 yrs. Waddhell.

Can anyone share whats the fajt rate for geo3s????

Unregistered 03-04-2023 06:55 PM

Fajt pay for GEO 3 is very low. Give tuition more worth it.

Unregistered 03-04-2023 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244981)
u are really doing geo4 stuffs with the int SH :( they rly should promote you to geo4. but at least they gave you a B pb.

Geo 3 doing into SH and only get a B? That's pretty bad. There aren't that may geo3s who would be outshining the OP. An A would be deserved.

Unregistered 03-04-2023 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 245003)
Fajt pay for GEO 3 is very low. Give tuition more worth it.

How low is v low??

Unregistered 03-04-2023 07:57 PM

Nil

Hi will the newly revised pay (from promotion and MI) take effect from this April payroll?

Unregistered 03-04-2023 08:01 PM

-

GEO2 2019 C (fresh from practicum)
GEO3 2020 C+
GEO3 2021 B
GEO3 2022 A (took on int KP)
GEO4 2023

How is this rate? For a male PGDE TA holder. Is it better for my career to make a move to HQ?

Unregistered 03-04-2023 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 245020)
GEO2 2019 C (fresh from practicum)
GEO3 2020 C+
GEO3 2021 B
GEO3 2022 A (took on int KP)
GEO4 2023

How is this rate? For a male PGDE TA holder. Is it better for my career to make a move to HQ?

Unless you are identified for FHQ posting, you may want to stay in your school for a while more. Try to clear your cluster interview for appointment to your position. Serve out the term (usually 2 years), before going HQ. It may make it easier to seek a HOD position on your way out of HQ.

If your CEP is high enough however, you may be identified for FHQ posting, which will forcibly cut short your first KP stint, but it's not a bad thing.

Unregistered 03-04-2023 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 245018)
Hi will the newly revised pay (from promotion and MI) take effect from this April payroll?

Yes. The new salary point will take effect from April payday.

Unregistered 03-04-2023 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 245006)
Geo 3 doing into SH and only get a B? That's pretty bad. There aren't that may geo3s who would be outshining the OP. An A would be deserved.

OP here.

I was very disappointed when I realised that despite all the hard work, I am still a B grader. To make things worse, I am still stuck at GEO3. Given all the Bs over the years, I am still not promoted. Wondering if a change of environment will help. Or should I just step down and be a HOT instead.

Unregistered 03-04-2023 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 245026)
OP here.

I was very disappointed when I realised that despite all the hard work, I am still a B grader. To make things worse, I am still stuck at GEO3. Given all the Bs over the years, I am still not promoted. Wondering if a change of environment will help. Or should I just step down and be a HOT instead.

That's pretty strange, talk to your RO about it.

Unregistered 03-04-2023 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 245030)
That's pretty strange, talk to your RO about it.

if your RO has not changed before, i suggest u avoid talking because it is likely that nothing will change, since this RO is partly the reason why u are stuck. either overshadowed during ranking, or cant be bothered to help to push u up.

try to see if u can change an environment, otherwise just step down and do bare minimum.

and looking at all the past posts, i can slowly see a rising trend of resignations and conversions to FAJT.

warning tho, with FAJT becoming so popular, i wont be surprised if the scheme is soon "tightened" to prevent saturation. additional workload? additional competition? lack of vacancies? just thinking of some possibilities.

Unregistered 03-04-2023 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 245036)
if your RO has not changed before, i suggest u avoid talking because it is likely that nothing will change, since this RO is partly the reason why u are stuck. either overshadowed during ranking, or cant be bothered to help to push u up.

try to see if u can change an environment, otherwise just step down and do bare minimum.

and looking at all the past posts, i can slowly see a rising trend of resignations and conversions to FAJT.

warning tho, with FAJT becoming so popular, i wont be surprised if the scheme is soon "tightened" to prevent saturation. additional workload? additional competition? lack of vacancies? just thinking of some possibilities.

Considering my options now between fajt, cajt and part time 80% scheme. Which is most value for money comparing workload and annual remuneration?

Unregistered 03-04-2023 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 245024)
Unless you are identified for FHQ posting, you may want to stay in your school for a while more. Try to clear your cluster interview for appointment to your position. Serve out the term (usually 2 years), before going HQ. It may make it easier to seek a HOD position on your way out of HQ.

If your CEP is high enough however, you may be identified for FHQ posting, which will forcibly cut short your first KP stint, but it's not a bad thing.

Oh yes, I will go clearing my cluster interview this May. Hence wanted to see if I could then move on to HQ with this KP and GEO4 profile. Doubt I’m identified (no news yet), so wanted to plan my own career path myself - just not sure if this is a sound decision

Unregistered 03-04-2023 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244919)
Able to share how long did u spend in MOE before switching over? What were some issues u faced when making the switch? Thanks so much!

9 years in MOE. Geo2 for 2 years, geo3 for 6 years, geo4 for slightly over a year. Got promoted in 2021 during covid, when the promotional increment and merit increments were cut. Terrible year to be promoted. When a person crossed over, they will try to map your paygrade. My salary was around 3 increments behind that of my peers at the new workplace. The norm here is for fresh grad to get their first cohort promotion after 1 year, and 3-4 years for subsequent promotions. Work is kind of similar to what you will expect if you take up a HQ posting, just that it's not education related. There are other ex-teachers among my colleagues too. Guess all those who quit, not all want to stay in education-related fields.

Unregistered 03-04-2023 11:50 PM

It’s not difficult at all to slow down the conversion of perm staff to FAJTs. For example, they can simply set a rule to accept only perm staff who have left service for more than a year.

Just an example. Am sure the scholars sitting at HQ would have many more ideas

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 245036)

Unregistered 04-04-2023 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 245055)
Oh yes, I will go clearing my cluster interview this May. Hence wanted to see if I could then move on to HQ with this KP and GEO4 profile. Doubt I’m identified (no news yet), so wanted to plan my own career path myself - just not sure if this is a sound decision

The truth about a gov career is you can plan as much as you want but ultimately we are all still plankton. We drift with manpower policy changes and evolving organisational needs.

Unregistered 04-04-2023 07:39 AM

Quote:

OP here.

sorry to hear. i have always been a C grader so to me B is good. but yes, you deserve an A and a promotion w ur scope. one of my friend was like this, she had a chat w her boss w the idea of moving, but her boss asked her to stay bc they have plans for her. are u and ur ro on ok terms?

Unregistered 04-04-2023 08:38 AM

How to transfer to other ministry? Do you just apply and if get in, they will help you facilitate the scheme transfer process?

Unregistered 04-04-2023 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 245082)
How to transfer to other ministry? Do you just apply and if get in, they will help you facilitate the scheme transfer process?

Yes. If you get an offer, ask them if they can do an inter-ministry transfer. The transfer can be initiated by either the sending ministry or the receiving ministry. For MOE, we are quite separated from our HR, so it should be easier if the other side's HR initiate the transfer. Also, let your RO know about your plan to do a transfer once the offer is confirmed.

Unregistered 04-04-2023 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 245055)

I think we hv a big problem when ppl join the teaching profession for career progression. Many of current and older generation of Ps thankfully are not like that.

Unregistered 04-04-2023 11:14 AM

Quote:

OP here.

I was in almost your shoes I think. But I got promoted this year.
Talked to my boss saying that I felt that I am doing way better than my peers of my batch (yet everyone promoted to 4 with some confirmed kp) but here I am still a 3 when I every year do things higher than expectations (I think lol)

Plus I’m always a B for the many years. Had a chat and received an A and promoted too. I guess sometimes they forgot about who is working since there are so many people in the school

Unregistered 04-04-2023 02:00 PM

Not sure why not being promoted in April

Hi, I am a second-year BT (currently GEO2) and while my fellow batchmates (we graduated from NIE the same time; and same gender as I am) are being promoted to GEO3 in April this year, I was informed that I will be promoted in October instead.

I wrote in to HR and was told that I did not "fulfill the criteria to be promoted in April". I am not sure of the reason why and which criteria they are talking about.

Anyone has any idea/was in similar situation as me and can provide some advice please? Thank you!

Unregistered 04-04-2023 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 245090)
I think we hv a big problem when ppl join the teaching profession for career progression. Many of current and older generation of Ps thankfully are not like that.

Huh? Aspire towards career progression also wrong? Siao ah. If nobody is supposed to want career progression, the system will be worse off because there is no extrinsic motivation to increase productivity and performance.