Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 05-01-2024 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchen (Post 264920)
Generally, what would be considered as basic workload and what is considered as going beyond and above?

For example, where would you place committee leader, CCA IC, subject coordinator into?

It is really not hard to define.

Basic workload are things that can be reasonably completed within the MOM 44h work week.

Anything over 44h is considered overtime. Since there is no overtime pay, any OT done is considered going above and beyond.

The main job responsibility of teachers, should be to teach. Period.
If they want to hire teachers and have them do low value admin work, coaching or cca-related work, then it just reflects poor use of manpower.

Committee work, should be left to KPs and KP-aspirants. In the past, these extra work was done by these groups of people on a voluntary basis, and was not part of an ordinary teacher's KPI.

And seriously, how many of these committees are really essential?

Unregistered 05-01-2024 12:54 PM

which also means the lower calibre ones stay on haha
teaching is so passe in this day and age. those that can't do, teach.
also.. those fb friends of mine who are now teachers were once crappy students with below average results. guess they went into teaching cos their options were limited.
def wouldn't want my kids to join the teaching professional. sorry, not profession, job.
the real professionals are doctors and lawyers :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 264922)
The cost-cutting part only make sense if people at the top quits. There is a surplus of SLs and SEOs, who are drawing high pay.

But what is happening is that quitting is happening at the bottom end. GEO3,4, who are drawing lower pay and doing more of the essential classroom work, are quitting because they are overworked.

If people at the bottom are quitting, not only is there not much cost savings, wastage is increased because the money invested in training them is not translated into good ROI.

With the all-scholar recruitment currently, the younger crop of teachers are all high calibre people who have options. They have no difficulties switching to other ministries, or finding better paying jobs in the private sector. Many organisations are happy to hire them.

The teaching workforce has aged in the past 10 years.

Look around your department. What was the proportion of young teachers when you joined compared with the current situation?

It is a common sight to see those in their 30s and 40s being the youngest teachers in their department again, when the young ones leave after finishing their bonds or getting their connect plan. This seriously disrupts succession planning and assignment of work.

Unregistered 05-01-2024 12:55 PM

I’m aged 33 drawing 12k/mth on a 15mth annual package in the private sector.
Have always have the passion to teach and looking for stability because of family. Can check if can match in teaching and if not, how much paycut do I need to incur?

Unregistered 05-01-2024 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 264922)
The cost-cutting part only make sense if people at the top quits. There is a surplus of SLs and SEOs, who are drawing high pay.

But what is happening is that quitting is happening at the bottom end. GEO3,4, who are drawing lower pay and doing more of the essential classroom work, are quitting because they are overworked.

If people at the bottom are quitting, not only is there not much cost savings, wastage is increased because the money invested in training them is not translated into good ROI.

With the all-scholar recruitment currently, the younger crop of teachers are all high calibre people who have options. They have no difficulties switching to other ministries, or finding better paying jobs in the private sector. Many organisations are happy to hire them.

The teaching workforce has aged in the past 10 years.

Look around your department. What was the proportion of young teachers when you joined compared with the current situation?

It is a common sight to see those in their 30s and 40s being the youngest teachers in their department again, when the young ones leave after finishing their bonds or getting their connect plan. This seriously disrupts succession planning and assignment of work.

Lol scholar = good results = must be high calibre. It's truly fascinating that ppl bash scholars for being out of touch, only have good grades but no actual sense while at the same time assume that the younger gen of scholars are somehow great.

Unregistered 05-01-2024 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 264947)
Have always have the passion to teach and looking for stability because of family. Can check if can match in teaching and if not, how much paycut do I need to incur?

ummm. no. NEVER.
ur employer is moe not a private firm seeking to match your last drawn pay.
there are standardised saiary scales.
i believe the most u can ever be paid starting out is 4plus. they may promote u faster based on years of experience but u will be competing with other teachers . do note promotions get u like 300 more…

Unregistered 05-01-2024 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 264866)
I hope you're not a teacher because this is the stupidest suggestion for individuals in this current job market. Obviously, whoever is on top will be happy about the cost cutting resignations are bringing in, but quitting is actually not a definite direct solution for teachers.

If the workload is really too much, just firmly tell your RO or SLs that you only wish to fulfill basic expectations. Tell them clearly and in black and white that you do not want extra roles or responsibilities. In this case, you will at least still have a basic stable salary, with basic increments while doing the basics.

If you are really suffering from burnout etc, you can go further by switching to FAJT. But be warned, it will be quite a hard and long process to convert back to perm eventually.

Otherwise, you can try to apply for NPL. However, also remember that if you take NPL, besides not having a salary and affecting your PB + Connect Plan, your remaining colleagues will also suffer because they will have to bear your workload. You will need to risk offending them by going this route. And you should also assume that once you're gone/away, there is very little chance that someone new can take over your workload (unless your RO/SL is skilled/loud enough to demand for new manpower).

Boy are you right.
Sorry I forgot that teachers like u are unlikely to be able to find employment outside.
My bad. Keep up the good work.

Unregistered 05-01-2024 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 264946)
which also means the lower calibre ones stay on haha
teaching is so passe in this day and age. those that can't do, teach.
also.. those fb friends of mine who are now teachers were once crappy students with below average results. guess they went into teaching cos their options were limited.
def wouldn't want my kids to join the teaching professional. sorry, not profession, job.
the real professionals are doctors and lawyers :)

word.

bulls eye.

Unregistered 05-01-2024 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 264986)
Boy are you right.
Sorry I forgot that teachers like u are unlikely to be able to find employment outside.
My bad. Keep up the good work.

Did I even say that I'm a teacher in the first place? Lol. The public service itself is rather transparent anyway if you read widely. You don't have to be in a particular profession to just understand the gist of it.

Nice assumptions there. In return, it's just retards who are really unable to see the real commitments of teachers. I will only eat my words if you downright admit that you have never been through the public education system, and achieved everything yourself.

Teachers can still carry on with a balanced career and personal life if they just try to keep to the basic requirements. Ignore those trolls who want to talk trash since they can't get the stability or influence.

Unregistered 05-01-2024 10:56 PM

Quote:

Expect at least a 50% paycut

Unregistered 06-01-2024 12:50 AM

Quote:

25-30% pay cut?!

Unregistered 07-01-2024 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 265006)
25-30% pay cut?!

GEO2 ceiling how much only?

30% paycut where got enough

Unregistered 08-01-2024 05:12 AM

There was some payscale range collated many pages ago.

2022 scale
[2015] GEO1 (Untrained): ? (non-graduates start here)
[2015] GEO1 (Trained): 1600-2730
[2022] GEO2 (Untrained): 2300-5000 (graduates start here)
[2022] GEO2 (Trained): 2950-5200 - [10%]
[2022] GEO3: 3900-6250 - [9%]
[2022] GEO4: 4800-7700 - [5%]
[2022] GEO5: 5150-8250 - [5%]
[2022] GEO5A: ? (max salary grade for standard teacher)
[2022] SEO1: 6400-10250 (min. LH/SH/ST) - [8%]
[2022] SEO2: 7850-11650 (min. HOD/LT)
[Pre-2015] SEO3: 8748-11232 (min. HOD/MT)

2015 scale
GEO1 (Untrained): ? (non-graduates start here)
GEO1 (Trained): 1600 - 2730
GEO2 (Untrained): 2000-4340 (graduates start here)
GEO2 (Trained): 2538-4500
GEO3: 3515 -5616
GEO4: 4545-7271
GEO5: 4903-7845 (max salary grade for standard teacher)
SEO1: 5651-9064 (min. LH/SH/ST)
SEO2: 7236-10766 (min. HOD/LT)

Unregistered 08-01-2024 08:19 AM

Quote:

With working experience, i think u are more suited for teaching role in ITE or Poly..

Unregistered 08-01-2024 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 265145)
With working experience, i think u are more suited for teaching role in ITE or Poly..

i doubt the compensation offered in ITE or poly will be any higher tho...probably have to aim for local uni professor

Unregistered 08-01-2024 05:40 PM

U want less work? U got it. And less pay too. Fair enough?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 264923)
It is really not hard to define.

Basic workload are things that can be reasonably completed within the MOM 44h work week.

Anything over 44h is considered overtime. Since there is no overtime pay, any OT done is considered going above and beyond.

The main job responsibility of teachers, should be to teach. Period.
If they want to hire teachers and have them do low value admin work, coaching or cca-related work, then it just reflects poor use of manpower.

Committee work, should be left to KPs and KP-aspirants. In the past, these extra work was done by these groups of people on a voluntary basis, and was not part of an ordinary teacher's KPI.

And seriously, how many of these committees are really essential?

Unregistered 08-01-2024 06:09 PM

Quote:

What kind of job
Do you do?

If it involve training, chief trainer etc

Or senior manager of HR etc
We can put u on probation as VP (admin)

Unregistered 08-01-2024 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 265171)
What kind of job
Do you do?

If it involve training, chief trainer etc

Or senior manager of HR etc
We can put u on probation as VP (admin)

HR manager and VP (admin) are not teaching roles lol...still education related though

Unregistered 08-01-2024 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 265169)
U want less work? U got it. And less pay too. Fair enough?

Not like the pay is high to begin with. The 'additional' pay is marginal compared to the amount of work done.

There's a reason why so many are converting to FAJTs.

Unregistered 08-01-2024 10:37 PM

Hi is there updated paycale range for 2024?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 265142)
There was some payscale range collated many pages ago.

2022 scale
[2015] GEO1 (Untrained): ? (non-graduates start here)
[2015] GEO1 (Trained): 1600-2730
[2022] GEO2 (Untrained): 2300-5000 (graduates start here)
[2022] GEO2 (Trained): 2950-5200 - [10%]
[2022] GEO3: 3900-6250 - [9%]
[2022] GEO4: 4800-7700 - [5%]
[2022] GEO5: 5150-8250 - [5%]
[2022] GEO5A: ? (max salary grade for standard teacher)
[2022] SEO1: 6400-10250 (min. LH/SH/ST) - [8%]
[2022] SEO2: 7850-11650 (min. HOD/LT)
[Pre-2015] SEO3: 8748-11232 (min. HOD/MT)

2015 scale
GEO1 (Untrained): ? (non-graduates start here)
GEO1 (Trained): 1600 - 2730
GEO2 (Untrained): 2000-4340 (graduates start here)
GEO2 (Trained): 2538-4500
GEO3: 3515 -5616
GEO4: 4545-7271
GEO5: 4903-7845 (max salary grade for standard teacher)
SEO1: 5651-9064 (min. LH/SH/ST)
SEO2: 7236-10766 (min. HOD/LT)

Unregistered 09-01-2024 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 265187)
Hi is there updated paycale range for 2024?

The payscale doesn't change annually. There'll be big announcements every time there's a salary revision. The last one in 2022 is thus the most updated version.

Unregistered 09-01-2024 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 264651)
Hi, I’m in my 4th year of trained service and will be ending my secondment at an independent school. I’m rather interested in the student development areas than academics. If I would like to do a stint at HQ or try for a SD KP role, with no prior experience, what are some things I should prepare for in my portfolio before Open posting?

In the event that I don’t qualify for a SD KP role, what roles in HQ is beneficial to gaining a broader picture of the system in the SD side?

Please advise.

OP here seeking advice. What would be roles in HQ I should look out for - which will help me greatly for SD (not very interested in IP)

Unregistered 09-01-2024 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 265230)
OP here seeking advice. What would be roles in HQ I should look out for - which will help me greatly for SD (not very interested in IP)

Consider CCEB

Munchen 09-01-2024 08:20 PM

Ge02 earning 4.7k. i may be promoted to geo3 this year. By how much will my pay be bumped up?

Unregistered 09-01-2024 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchen (Post 265249)
Ge02 earning 4.7k. i may be promoted to geo3 this year. By how much will my pay be bumped up?

How many years since you graduated?

Unregistered 09-01-2024 09:38 PM

how is ranking done for officers on maternity leave or no pay leave?

Unregistered 09-01-2024 10:29 PM

some ppl just need to do their mls & stfu

Unregistered 10-01-2024 07:22 PM

Quote:

What's SD?

Unregistered 11-01-2024 05:47 PM

hello. i'm thinking of leaving service but want to collect my PB first, can I leave immediately after PB is paid out?

Unregistered 11-01-2024 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 265376)
hello. i'm thinking of leaving service but want to collect my PB first, can I leave immediately after PB is paid out?

Higher management will happily let you leave, since resignations will help lower the labour cost and hence cut budget - probably something favorable for the people in the ivory towers. But they will convince you to only leave in mid year so that it is easier to manage deployment changes.

Are you also another burnt out soul?

Unregistered 11-01-2024 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 265376)

No, last day needs to be on or after 30 Apr. Can find the info on the hr portal

Unregistered 12-01-2024 12:07 AM

My last day jun 30

Whoopp

Unregistered 12-01-2024 05:34 AM

Revisions of salary

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 265204)
The payscale doesn't change annually. There'll be big announcements every time there's a salary revision. The last one in 2022 is thus the most updated version.

Past 2 decades there's been about 2 to 3 revisions. Seeing the current economic situation, not sure if the frequency of revisions will be reduced.

Unregistered 12-01-2024 08:39 AM

Quote:

Look out for open posting by SDCD. CCE branch is under them. Mainly, your office will be at Grange road.

Munchen 12-01-2024 05:31 PM

Im trying to understand why every staff under MOE is overworked and unhappy? This encompasses teaching, counselling, admin, IT staff.

What is it that MOE is not doing well such that we have staff unhappy with their workload and work-life balance? Cutting manpower due to limited budget?

Unregistered 13-01-2024 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchen (Post 265442)
Im trying to understand why every staff under MOE is overworked and unhappy? This encompasses teaching, counselling, admin, IT staff.

What is it that MOE is not doing well such that we have staff unhappy with their workload and work-life balance? Cutting manpower due to limited budget?

Because the toxic work culture in MOE is built upon a warped appraisal system.

If you ask officers from other ministries, their appraisal is mainly based on their core work. For example, economists mainly spend their time on analyzing economic trends, engineers mainly focus on technical operations, policy planners focusing on planning work. Maybe contribute a bit in committee work, like organising annual staff dinner or departmental outings.

Otherwise got professional officers to handle corporate roles.

Meanwhile school officers wear too many additional hats, to the point that emphasis in teaching is outshone.

Epms becomes a list of what additional stuff an officer has done.

Double hatting as:
procurement officers (handles sourcing, AORS, quotes, raising gebiz, evaluate tenders, awarding tenders)
Coach (certain sports and clubs, the teachers are the main instructors)
Counsellor to student (teacher counsellor)
Counsellor to colleagues (wellness ambassador)
Communications (need to produce school publications, manage school websites, handle school social media accounts)
Researchers (need to plan and conduct education research)
AV support (need to do AV duties for small events such as school meetings, to large events such as school celebrations)
Tech support (administrator to perform reset of various student accounts)
Secondment (arrowed to do seab exam duty, eld election duty)
First aider (expected to deliver first aid in event of emergency)

No such nonsense in other govt roles.

Manpower is sufficient if teachers are expected to focus mainly on teaching and appraised accordingly.

Manpower will always be insufficient if teachers are piled on more and more non-core work, work that makes the school and SLs look good, at the expense of officers' health and family time.

Unregistered 13-01-2024 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 265480)
Secondment (arrowed to do seab exam duty, eld election duty)

No such nonsense in other govt roles.

Just a minor correction here - plenty of non-MOE staff get arrowed to do election duties.

Unregistered 13-01-2024 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 265483)
Just a minor correction here - plenty of non-MOE staff get arrowed to do election duties.

To correct your correction...

The ratio of MOE staff to non-MOE staff is still much greater.

1. Many election venues used are schools.

2. Historically, election dates/periods are held during school holidays.

Hence, all these make it much easier to activate teachers for election duties.

Unregistered 13-01-2024 01:09 PM

Any teacher mummies gave birth in September before?
How did you fully utilise the 4-month maternity leave?

Unregistered 13-01-2024 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 265497)
Any teacher mummies gave birth in September before?
How did you fully utilise the 4-month maternity leave?

it is possible to break up maternity leave so that you get your December protected time. can check with HR

Unregistered 13-01-2024 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 265485)
To correct your correction...

The ratio of MOE staff to non-MOE staff is still much greater.

1. Many election venues used are schools.

2. Historically, election dates/periods are held during school holidays.

Hence, all these make it much easier to activate teachers for election duties.

Hmm… do you have stats, or is this just based on deduction? (I don't know the answer myself, just wanted to know if this is confirmed.)

On their own, I feel the above two reasons aren't particularly strong reasons to activate teachers in particular:
1) Officers tend to be assigned to polling stations near their registered address (regardless of where they work); there's no real need to activate more teachers just because schools are election venues.

2) Polling Day is a public holiday; there's no real advantage to activating teachers over other officers.

I will admit that I feel I've seen many teachers deployed as election officers; but this has been anecdotal on my part. Is there anything that confirms this observation?