Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 12-03-2024 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270424)
I wonder too. When you cross from one ministry to another, does your 'long service award' continue or got reset at the new ministry?

For transfers, you keep your years of service

If you quit one scheme and join another, then the years of service reset to zero

As for the previous qsn on movement policy, don't think the usual rules apply. Teaching paygrades are tied to years of experience as EOs.

Unlike other schemes where you could cross over and they match your paygrade in the new schemes, untrained teachers must start at GEO2.

Considering that AEDs who had taught for a decade in schools still had to start from GEO2 when emplaced on EO scheme, don't think a newcomer would be exempted.

What they can probably do is to put you on the maximum end of the payscale, and try to accelerate your promotion.

Munchen 12-03-2024 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270405)
Hi all, just wanna ask how significant of a paycut for a mid-career switcher. Am currently 38, drawing 7.3k in the civil service. Looking to switch over to a career in teaching.

Better think twice. I mid career switch. Especially in teaching where it is super hierarchical. You basically have to kowtow to people a decade younger than you.

Unregistered 12-03-2024 11:45 PM

kowtow

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchen (Post 270491)
Better think twice. I mid career switch. Especially in teaching where it is super hierarchical. You basically have to kowtow to people a decade younger than you.

I think it's it's okay to learn / kowtow from people even though they might be a decade younger than me.
but it's def not ok to kowtow esp to scholars who have only 2 years of classroom teaching before they start jumping up to head and manage people, and expect the farmers to give in to their ideas to fulfil their KPIs.

is MOE trying to prove that their investment is correct by promotion of scholars?

Unregistered 13-03-2024 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270496)
I think it's it's okay to learn / kowtow from people even though they might be a decade younger than me.
but it's def not ok to kowtow esp to scholars who have only 2 years of classroom teaching before they start jumping up to head and manage people, and expect the farmers to give in to their ideas to fulfil their KPIs.

is MOE trying to prove that their investment is correct by promotion of scholars?

Not just MOE. It's like that everywhere with scholars

Unregistered 13-03-2024 09:05 AM

guys the income tax, how much are you able to do tax relief? its just so much to pay back, considering how much we slave

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher 13-03-2024 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270518)
guys the income tax, how much are you able to do tax relief? its just so much to pay back, considering how much we slave

How much is a lot to pay back? I feel like you may have just entered the bigger bracket tax (7%), so your tax may feel like it jumped up by a lot?

I remember also feeling it when I see a 4-digit sum.

But think about it, check your annual income. You actually get way more, which is why you have to pay back more.

SG is not bad already. Compared to other countries. Just manage your budget better, and set aside a sum for income tax.

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher 13-03-2024 03:00 PM

Quote:

I have to speak on behalf of some of these people that you have grouped them under. The "Scholars". Doesn't mean that everyone who has 2 years of classroom teaching, cannot manage people, or take the lead, or give good directions to lead the department/team forward.

Similarly. Doesn't mean that everyone who has 20 years of classroom teaching, can manage people and do the things I mentioned above.

Leadership, can be further enhanced with YIS, but it doesn't mean they do not have innate leadership.

I agree that a small number of "scholars" do not really have the capability to lead. But then you will see them stuck at the SH/LH position and eventually be asked to step down to ST when they have enough YIS. I have seen this multiple times.

So while your above statement may be true for a small minority of these 'scholars', I disagree to this statement where it's not okay to 'kowtow' to 'scholars' "who have only 2 years of classroom teaching before they start jumping up to head and manage people, and expect the farmers to give in to their ideas to fulfil their KPIs."

Good leaders, anyway, will not expect people to 'kowtow' to them. They lead properly. Bad teammates/colleagues however, may be very negative towards 'younger' and 'less experienced' colleagues managing and leading them, thinking that their experience is very valuable (which is true in some cases but very likely not, in the case of bad teammates/colleagues). This makes it harder for good leaders to lead properly because the bad teammates spoil the whole department with their negativity.

These are common scenes that I have seen over my years in teaching. More importantly, embrace changes with an open heart and mind. If they are capable, follow their lead, don't grumble. If they aren't, trust me, the KP side will know, they will eventually be weeded out. If the entire KP group is incapable and covering for each other, then the grass is always greener on the other side.

Unregistered 13-03-2024 04:07 PM

Quote:

Think of the plot in a typical Jin Yong Wuxia drama, these scholars simply have higher inner strength than you, hence, they are able to advance very quickly.

For the rest of us, our inner strength is limited hence, we are farmers. If we try to be like them, we would 走火入魔 instead, like the many antagonists in these same type of dramas.

Unregistered 13-03-2024 04:09 PM

Quote:

Its not MOE's fault. You only need to look at this thread to see how younger teachers are dismissive of older colleagues.

Unregistered 13-03-2024 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270513)
Not just MOE. It's like that everywhere with scholars

Not even scholars. It's a Gen Z problem. Their millenial parents didnt do a good job raising them

Unregistered 13-03-2024 09:11 PM

if I'm already very near the ceiling for GEO2 during contract teaching, does it mean that I'll be stuck at the GEO2 pay ceiling till I finish NIE? Assuming that there are yearly increments.

For context, I'm a mid-career switch with private teaching experience.

Unregistered 13-03-2024 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270594)
if I'm already very near the ceiling for GEO2 during contract teaching, does it mean that I'll be stuck at the GEO2 pay ceiling till I finish NIE? Assuming that there are yearly increments.

Yes. But don’t worry, once you formally start your teaching career, there’s a chance it will be adjusted. Happened to a colleague. The first work review, he had thought he was GEO2 but then was shortly informed that adjustments have been made and he’s actually GEO3. The same year.

Unregistered 13-03-2024 10:33 PM

You guys will know your PB on 15 March. Check your CES email for the email sent this evening!!

Unregistered 13-03-2024 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher (Post 270550)
How much is a lot to pay back? I feel like you may have just entered the bigger bracket tax (7%), so your tax may feel like it jumped up by a lot?

I remember also feeling it when I see a 4-digit sum.

But think about it, check your annual income. You actually get way more, which is why you have to pay back more.

SG is not bad already. Compared to other countries. Just manage your budget better, and set aside a sum for income tax.

Collected connect plan, and then get bumped into next bracket

Sigh

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher 14-03-2024 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270613)

Sigh

Haha. It's all part of adulting. From this year onwards, you start to see if you can put some into CPF/SRS to lower your bracket. Anyway, look on the bright side, paying more taxes means you got more money (and got to spend more) that year. Overall still a win

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher 14-03-2024 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270610)
You guys will know your PB on 15 March. Check your CES email for the email sent this evening!!

Yes yes all eager for that. Payout 19th March iirc. Thanks for sharing!

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher 14-03-2024 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270594)

PGDE? If it's PGDE I won't worry too much. The 1.5 years by the time you grad, if you hit ceiling, they usually will promote you within that year itself or the following one. So won't be stuck in ceiling for very long.

This is what I have observed for mid-career switches. So don't worry too much.

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher 14-03-2024 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270557)
Its not MOE's fault. You only need to look at this thread to see how younger teachers are dismissive of older colleagues.

I think it goes both ways. I also see a lot of older colleagues belittling younger teachers.

Ultimately, in this meritocratic society, who has the best ability, will eventually rise up, wherever you go to.

As much as some of the younger generation should learn to be respectful towards the older colleagues. Some of the older colleagues also need to learn that they will definitely be replaced eventually, and that it's harder for them to keep up to date with the new changes. Their energy and zeal is just not as much as the young group who has the potential to create new ideas and push for certain things to be done. E.g. receptiveness towards the utilisation of SLS, or hybrid synchronous/asynchronous lessons, differentiation, etc.

Of course there will be that anomaly on both groups. But I am speaking generally, and based on what I have seen over the years, being the 'older' group myself.

Unregistered 14-03-2024 08:39 AM

Can I ask, for independent schools (usually those boys / girls schools), what does the independent part entail for teachers?

Higher pay and more autonomy on the curriculum? And say, no need to teach home Econs is it?

Unregistered 14-03-2024 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270613)

Sigh

If you don't need the cash, you can consider placing it in RA to reduce the taxable bracket and still yield better income.

Unregistered 14-03-2024 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270641)
Can I ask, for independent schools (usually those boys / girls schools), what does the independent part entail for teachers?

Higher pay and more autonomy on the curriculum? And say, no need to teach home Econs is it?

Depends on whether you are direct hire or under MOE payroll.
School has autonomy, not you. They need to cover curriculum for what's examinable, and have to recite pledge and sing anthem.

Otherwise, sch has autonomy on how to hire and deploy staff. However, it's often the direct hire staff that gets more flexibility in deployment (e.g. reach only niche programme etc).

Direct hire gets "more pay" depending on job scope, but don't have CONNECT and less flexibility for staff to consider different schools etc within the ministry's purview as you are essentially a hired staff under the sch management.

Unregistered 14-03-2024 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher (Post 270633)
I think it goes both ways. I also see a lot of older colleagues belittling younger teachers.

Ultimately, in this meritocratic society, who has the best ability, will eventually rise up, wherever you go to.

As much as some of the younger generation should learn to be respectful towards the older colleagues. Some of the older colleagues also need to learn that they will definitely be replaced eventually, and that it's harder for them to keep up to date with the new changes. Their energy and zeal is just not as much as the young group who has the potential to create new ideas and push for certain things to be done. E.g. receptiveness towards the utilisation of SLS, or hybrid synchronous/asynchronous lessons, differentiation, etc.

Of course there will be that anomaly on both groups. But I am speaking generally, and based on what I have seen over the years, being the 'older' group myself.

Things become more complicated within a smaller pool of KPs and SLs.

During ranking, the older ones will probably hold more authority and influence.

In aspects of general work itself, the more competent and less competent will become obvious over the years. But for aspects of ranking and performance grades where things are not transparent, you do require some element of luck, depending on how the management level (and above) judge things.

When things are not transparent, they breed unhappiness and to some extent, some degree of unfairness and subjectivity.

Unregistered 14-03-2024 10:40 AM

I attended PFT on 8 Mar and till now havent receive any news. I didnt think i did well for the agility run and cartwheel portion. Is it really difficult to pass it?

Munchen 14-03-2024 01:28 PM

How much is a geo3 FAJt paid per hour?

Unregistered 14-03-2024 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270641)

Are u looking at direct hire by IS or secondment?
Curriculum wise, it depends on whether u r looking at IP or IB. The kids still do home economics which is now FCE?

Unregistered 14-03-2024 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270341)
Will schools you apply to during open posting be aware of your last performance grade or your performance grade history?
Do schools have a choice in declining officers in closed posting?

Yes Schools will def be aware during Open Posting.

Not sure about closed posting. But usually no such thing as privacy about these things.

Unregistered 14-03-2024 10:11 PM

What will make you stay in teaching?

With so many stories of teachers quitting, changing to FAJT, what are some reasons that will make you want to stay on as a perm teacher?

Or, what are some changes you hope to see in our system so that you will not consider changing job?

Unregistered 14-03-2024 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270734)
With so many stories of teachers quitting, changing to FAJT, what are some reasons that will make you want to stay on as a perm teacher?

Or, what are some changes you hope to see in our system so that you will not consider changing job?

Better work-life balance practices like no work-related communication during weekends and holidays will be helpful.

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher 14-03-2024 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270734)

I have asked myself this question multiple times. So let me share my 5 cents.

Firstly those are 2 big and very different steps. FAJT vs quitting MOE entirely.

For quitting MOE entirely, I know that I can still find other jobs that to me are personally meaningful, e.g. Social Services. However, I lose the chance to impact people with a skillset that I know I am good at, teaching. This craft is actually not easy to master. But over the years, I know that I have the ability to impact the young ones with my teaching. So this option is out for me.

As for changing to FAJT. The question to consider will definitely be, what is the difference between FAJT and full-fledged. "More flexibility, less pay" is what people usually trade off for FAJT. But you lose a lot of your 'passion' (not the best word to describe, but best-fit imo). I have seen FAJT over the years, just going very strictly by the hour. They won't stay a minute longer, and a lot of the FT-ship stuff falls onto the other FT. So it becomes a bit mechanical to them (no different from teaching tuition outside). So over these years, albeit considering the change to FAJT, I have decided multiple times, to remain, grit my teeth during difficult times, find communities that support you as much as you can also support them.

Hope this provides some insight to your question.

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher 14-03-2024 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270751)
Better work-life balance practices like no work-related communication during weekends and holidays will be helpful.

You can reflect this to your SLs directly. Or SWB/SWC chairperson.

If nothing is done, usually the school staff survey results will show a bad grade on the management. And they will then do something about it since cluster superintendent will question

Unregistered 15-03-2024 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270751)

won’t happen - see what maliki said in parliament abt kids reaching out to teachers for help

Unregistered 15-03-2024 04:49 AM

Sigh

Wait to see PB tonight (after the initial jam)

How to know whether if promoted?

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher 15-03-2024 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270779)
Sigh

If you are a teacher, by now you will already know if you got promoted in April.

If never inform, means didn't get promoted.

Unregistered 15-03-2024 05:35 AM

Thanks for the super early reply - yes teacher and long suffering Geo 3 - 2020 kanna one C-
and delayed liao

Means this year also gone

Unregistered 15-03-2024 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270781)
Thanks for the super early reply - yes teacher and long suffering Geo 3 - 2020 kanna one C-
and delayed liao

You when get promoted to GEO3?

I got informed before march hols that I promoted from GEO2 to GEO3 this year. Quite new to service.

Unregistered 15-03-2024 05:40 AM

2017 Geo 3 liao, damn sian

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher 15-03-2024 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270781)
and delayed liao

Have you reached your pay ceiling yet? C- may or may not set you back by 1 year (really depends on a few factors from what I understand, like ranking board, CEP, etc.).

The longest I've heard of from GEO3-4 is 8 years or so, with them hitting ceiling for 1 year before getting promoted. But unsure whether did they get any C- or D, or it's just their progression as such.

I think you should be reaching 8 years too?

Unregistered 15-03-2024 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher (Post 270780)
If you are a teacher, by now you will already know if you got promoted in April.

If never inform, means didn't get promoted.

Some schools would only announce after the PB grade unless you belong to batch promo group. Normally, my colleagues would only be informed 3 hours before they sent out an email.

Unregistered 15-03-2024 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270779)
Sigh

maybe they should release at a weird timing like 3 am to reduce the jam haha

Unregistered 15-03-2024 07:37 AM

how come PB not out yet? =/