Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 16-10-2022 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232725)
why cannot! never try never know. 5 years earning 6k like damn sad laaa.. if appeal, think got chance?

Does your 5 years include contract teaching and NIE?

Unregistered 16-10-2022 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232727)
Does your 5 years include contract teaching and NIE?

5 years of teaching after graduating from NIE with BA(Ed) 4 yrs prog.

Unregistered 16-10-2022 12:37 PM

Ya those who get GEO 4 next year is the best. I got GEO 4 this year. If i stayed at GEO 3, i get way more (9%) compared to a miserly 4.5%. Really spit on the amount they give. Think wat, i'm a beggar

Farting useless MOE system.

Unregistered 16-10-2022 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232733)
Ya those who get GEO 4 next year is the best. I got GEO 4 this year. If i stayed at GEO 3, i get way more (9%) compared to a miserly 4.5%. Really spit on the amount they give. Think wat, i'm a beggar

Farting useless MOE system.

IKR the system is soooo warped!

How much are u drawing as GEO4 and how many years of teaching? I’m getting 6k now

Unregistered 16-10-2022 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232734)

How much are u drawing as GEO4 and how many years of teaching? I’m getting 6k now

Did you just get promoted this year? Perhaps gotta go to mCare to provide feedback.

Unregistered 16-10-2022 01:27 PM

Wondering:

Officer A promoted to SEO1 this year and an officer B promoted to SEO 1 next year.

In terms of the salary, will the two be drawing same amount since officer A has a greater increment of 8% compared to officer B who is only receiving 5%. If yes, does that mean that officers who are in geo 5 can expect a greater jump when promoted to Seo 1?

Unregistered 16-10-2022 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232737)
Did you just get promoted this year? Perhaps gotta go to mCare to provide feedback.

Yes was promoted to GEO4 in this year cycle. Surprised because i’m definitely getting lowballed?? Was expecting mid 6k to 7k.

Unregistered 16-10-2022 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232738)
Wondering:

Officer A promoted to SEO1 this year and an officer B promoted to SEO 1 next year.

In terms of the salary, will the two be drawing same amount since officer A has a greater increment of 8% compared to officer B who is only receiving 5%. If yes, does that mean that officers who are in geo 5 can expect a greater jump when promoted to Seo 1?

If the "jump" you're referring to is the annual MI or the promotion increment, nobody really knows...everyone is wondering too haha.

Assuming that the low amounts of MI and PI (since covid) continues next year, then those GEO5 going on to SEO1 next year will lose out more, while those promoted this year had a greater gain.

Unregistered 16-10-2022 03:01 PM

Stupid system haha

Unregistered 16-10-2022 03:42 PM

How do u guys even know what will happen next year to promotees pay. Maybe MOE intends to make up for the difference?

Unregistered 16-10-2022 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232734)

same and after this year is 9 years.

Definitely the best are the SEO 1 and GEO 3. The rest are crap

Unregistered 16-10-2022 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232749)
How do u guys even know what will happen next year to promotees pay. Maybe MOE intends to make up for the difference?

haha thumbs up for your optimism...

on a side note, were there still people who got promoted in oct? if there were, which adjustment did they receive?

Unregistered 16-10-2022 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232751)
same and after this year is 9 years.

Definitely the best are the SEO 1 and GEO 3. The rest are crap

you're drawing 6k after 9 years in the service? that can't be right! i'm 5 years in..

Unregistered 16-10-2022 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232754)
you're drawing 6k after 9 years in the service? that can't be right! i'm 5 years in..

Yes there r ppl 9 years still geo 3..

Unregistered 16-10-2022 05:20 PM

huh

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232758)

they would have hit the ceiling already like 6.2k.
then some are happy to be HOT at that point? then do tuition outside.
and then, they could be earning more than geo 4 KP.

staying in GEO 3 would also have lower expectations?

Unregistered 16-10-2022 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232758)

How come leh? Thought if u perform satisfactory and stay on then should minimally be on track to be promoted de? 9 years GEO3 and drawing 6k is quite low tbh..

Unregistered 16-10-2022 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232763)
How come leh? Thought if u perform satisfactory and stay on then should minimally be on track to be promoted de? 9 years GEO3 and drawing 6k is quite low tbh..

The 6k is not because of 9 years, it's because of the GEO3 ceiling. Old ceiling was 5.6k only. New ceiling is about 6.2k.

In the past the road to GEO5 was smooth as silk. Nowdays if you only 'meet expectations', get C grade every year, and your CEP is at GEO5, you can be stuck at GEO3 for 5 to 7 years before being promoted to GEO4. By then, you would be almost 7 to 9 years in service already.

There doesn't seem to be such a thing as "on track to be promoted" for ordinary performers these days. You gotta hustle super hard just to be promoted decently quickly.

Unregistered 16-10-2022 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232723)
a GEO 3 nearing the new ceiling of 6k could be higher paid than GEO 4, and pb could be higher ...so what could be the motivation to promote - other than aiming for higher pay?

The thing is you can't control anything. HR promotes you when they do, unless your SLs intervene for the better or for worse. Promote early, promote late, doesn't matter whether which one is better. You just get promoted when "it is time".

The only say that you have in the matter is: you can reject the promotion. But who knows when the next one will come. Maybe by rejecting a promotion you self-condemn to hentak kaki forever. Nobody dares to do that unless they already have a solid exit plan.

Unregistered 16-10-2022 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232766)
The 6k is not because of 9 years, it's because of the GEO3 ceiling. Old ceiling was 5.6k only. New ceiling is about 6.2k.

In the past the road to GEO5 was smooth as silk. Nowdays if you only 'meet expectations', get C grade every year, and your CEP is at GEO5, you can be stuck at GEO3 for 5 to 7 years before being promoted to GEO4. By then, you would be almost 7 to 9 years in service already.

There doesn't seem to be such a thing as "on track to be promoted" for ordinary performers these days. You gotta hustle super hard just to be promoted decently quickly.

thanks for sharing. is it regular for a teacher's CEP to be GEO5 though? Thought it would be higher like HOD level.

Unregistered 16-10-2022 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232769)
thanks for sharing. is it regular for a teacher's CEP to be GEO5 though? Thought it would be higher like HOD level.

Only if you hustle and your effort and potential are recognised. Not recognised also no use.

Or, if you are a high tier scholar.

Otherwise default CEP for teacher confirmed to service is GEO5.

Unregistered 16-10-2022 11:53 PM

CEP adjustment

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232771)
Only if you hustle and your effort and potential are recognised. Not recognised also no use.

Or, if you are a high tier scholar.

Otherwise default CEP for teacher confirmed to service is GEO5.

would the CEP be considered as adjusted to at least SEO 1, if the teacher "made the cut" to HQ for a stint along the career pathway?

Unregistered 17-10-2022 12:07 AM

farmer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232766)

promotion for farmers is just getting harder.
a GEO 3 can be happy to hit the ceiling at 6.2k with 'meet the expectations' kind of minimal/basic standard, then tuition to earn at least an additional 2 to 3k per month. tuition rates are also increasing.
being a school teacher provides the fundamental stability or certainty. switching to full time tuition also carries risk without a good solid base of tutee numbers.

Unregistered 17-10-2022 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232781)
promotion for farmers is just getting harder.
a GEO 3 can be happy to hit the ceiling at 6.2k with 'meet the expectations' kind of minimal/basic standard, then tuition to earn at least an additional 2 to 3k per month. tuition rates are also increasing.
being a school teacher provides the fundamental stability or certainty. switching to full time tuition also carries risk without a good solid base of tutee numbers.

Do u know if a regular teacher is generally able to juggle with their full time teaching AND tuition? I would think teachers are so bogged with the existing workload alr + all the admin to be done.. squeezing in tuition during the weekends seems quite a stretch - not to forgot time to really just have a break and self-care. Thoughts?

Unregistered 17-10-2022 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232780)
would the CEP be considered as adjusted to at least SEO 1, if the teacher "made the cut" to HQ for a stint along the career pathway?

Yes, to qualify to apply for HQ positions e.g. during OPE, CEP of SEO1-equivalent or above is required.

But bear in mind that CEP can also be adjusted back down, especially if the panel assesses that the officer's potential has changed with respect to their 'remaining runway' (age, basically). So even if you qualified for a HQ position at age 30, if you don't actually climb the ladder and end up languishing, your CEP is not likely to still be at SEO1 or above.

Unregistered 17-10-2022 10:49 AM

Guys can ask, what happens when a teacher takes MC?

Unregistered 17-10-2022 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232800)

The teacher stays at home to rest and their duties are covered by colleagues or relief staff.

What kinda question is this?

Unregistered 17-10-2022 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232789)
Yes, to qualify to apply for HQ positions e.g. during OPE, CEP of SEO1-equivalent or above is required.

But bear in mind that CEP can also be adjusted back down, especially if the panel assesses that the officer's potential has changed with respect to their 'remaining runway' (age, basically). So even if you qualified for a HQ position at age 30, if you don't actually climb the ladder and end up languishing, your CEP is not likely to still be at SEO1 or above.

I applied for OPE 5 years ago and went for interview (2 interviews in fact) at HQ. I didn't get through and subsequently transferred to another school. Since then I have been stagnant at GEO 4.

Unregistered 17-10-2022 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232800)

U hentak kaki 28 months

ed_ffirmations 17-10-2022 01:16 PM

Calculation of CEP

Appreciate if the senpais can share how CEP is calculated?
What are the factors for consideration, and will our own CEP be revealed to us?

Unregistered 17-10-2022 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ed_ffirmations (Post 232812)
Appreciate if the senpais can share how CEP is calculated?
What are the factors for consideration, and will our own CEP be revealed to us?

CeP cannot be calculated as it is qualitative in n nature. knowing it is dbl edged but do agree that being transparent is the way to go in today’s society

Unregistered 17-10-2022 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232814)
CeP cannot be calculated as it is qualitative in n nature. knowing it is dbl edged but do agree that being transparent is the way to go in today’s society

Agree that transparency is important to employees nowadays, and arguably also the fairest way to do things.

However, HR will never make CEP transparent until they overhaul the system. Revealing the inner workings of the current rotten system is a shot in their own foot. When officers start comparing CEP with one another, it will become embarrassingly apparent that the system is way too subjective and too heavily dependent on the whims and fancies of some senior managers, to ever be fair to the rank-and-file officers.

There was some talk a few years ago about replacing CEP with some "5-year career development plan", but that never materialised. Maybe it was a bit too fair in the eyes of some senior management and they could no longer use the system to play politics using the career prospects of their JHs :)

Unregistered 17-10-2022 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232809)
I applied for OPE 5 years ago and went for interview (2 interviews in fact) at HQ. I didn't get through and subsequently transferred to another school. Since then I have been stagnant at GEO 4.

Are you a KP or TL? If not, you are operating at teacher level and your promotion will come at the 'market rate'.

Unregistered 17-10-2022 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232809)

CEP determines how often you could be promoted, but performance determines whether you are actually promoted at that point in time.

So your CEP may be high, but if you are only hitting the teacher KRAs then you might still be passed over for promotion. And if you wait long enough your CEP will gradually come back down to GEO5.

Unregistered 17-10-2022 07:49 PM

may i know what GEO is 1A3 12 years ago equivalent to ?

Unregistered 17-10-2022 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232754)

5 yes 6k? Mid career ah?

Unregistered 17-10-2022 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232837)
may i know what GEO is 1A3 12 years ago equivalent to ?

When the 2015 revamp came along, GEO1A3 mapped directly to GEO5.

But there have been a lot of changes recently so the equivalence is no longer so clear cut. It also takes many more years to hit GEO5 now, than to hit GEO1A3 back then.

Unregistered 17-10-2022 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232842)
5 yes 6k? Mid career ah?

5 YOE GEO4 NSman can hit 6k if accounting for Oct salary revision. No need mid career.

Unregistered 17-10-2022 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232842)
5 yes 6k? Mid career ah?

Nope not mid-career. Just normal undergrad with NIE.

Unregistered 17-10-2022 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232844)
5 YOE GEO4 NSman can hit 6k if accounting for Oct salary revision. No need mid career.

Yups, except I am GEO3 though!

Unregistered 17-10-2022 09:44 PM

Does anyone know when the confirmation for OPE will come? Even the school that gave me an offer says they r waiting for HR’s approval. 😪