Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 13-05-2023 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 248251)
I'm the OP. Not to mention loads of marking till 11pm plus weekends as i teach EL MA.

I was a stay at home mum for 10yrs before i went to NIE,
prior to that I was a project mgr.

If promotion and higher salary means heavier workload/stress than this,
I'll gladly forfeit it for better mental and physical health. Just wish to focus on teaching
so thinking if FAJT route can be my next step.

It will only get worse. At the minimum, all teachers need to take on a form class, a CCA and at least one committee.

At GEO4 and above, expected to head a CCA, and maybe be IC of committees/subcommittees. For departmental programmes, also expected to take charge of some committees within your department.

If I may ask, what were you thinking when you applied to join teaching as a mid-career applicant?

Unregistered 13-05-2023 09:29 PM

As a 5yoe teacher (GEO4) does it benefit my CEP more if I apply for hq posting now, as compared to a few years down the road after a stint as a LH? (have been told the school wishes to groom me)

Unregistered 13-05-2023 09:44 PM

Can anyone share geo3 fajt pay???

Unregistered 13-05-2023 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 248275)
As a 5yoe teacher (GEO4) does it benefit my CEP more if I apply for hq posting now, as compared to a few years down the road after a stint as a LH? (have been told the school wishes to groom me)

If the school is really going to put you on the road to a LH appointment, stick with it.

Generally, a HQ posting helps, but you have to find the right job fit, and you need to prove yourself in the eyes of your new bosses.

If your school already deems you fit to be groomed for higher appointment, you "save some time" by staying with your school for a while.

Unregistered 14-05-2023 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 248277)
Can anyone share geo3 fajt pay???

It's $40 per hour

Unregistered 14-05-2023 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 248291)
It's $40 per hour

Not too shabby actually..thank u

Unregistered 14-05-2023 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 248292)
Not too shabby actually..thank u

What is off-putting is that you are doing more or less the same job as every ex-GEO4 and ex-GEO5 FAJT.. but they are being paid more.

Literally the same problem as every long-time GEO3 who is stuck without promotion. Some have 10 years of teaching experience and are good teachers. They shoulder a full load not only because they can but also because the manpower crunch leaves many schools no choice to differentiate deployment based on subgrade. Long story short: same job, near equal skill, much less pay.

Unregistered 14-05-2023 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 248275)

The point of going hq is to get a KP appointment. If the school is grooming you and offering you LH, then just take the opportunity.

Unregistered 14-05-2023 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 248298)
What is off-putting is that you are doing more or less the same job as every ex-GEO4 and ex-GEO5 FAJT.. but they are being paid more.

Literally the same problem as every long-time GEO3 who is stuck without promotion. Some have 10 years of teaching experience and are good teachers. They shoulder a full load not only because they can but also because the manpower crunch leaves many schools no choice to differentiate deployment based on subgrade. Long story short: same job, near equal skill, much less pay.

same problem with young geo4 too... and for KPs stuck at geo4 and 5...

the seos are the ones who joined at the right timing for fast promotions... positions above are all saturated by them

Unregistered 14-05-2023 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 248298)

So true. Lets see who can do less then.

Unregistered 14-05-2023 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 248305)
So true. Lets see who can do less then.

I heard people are already rejecting extra workload and don't care about performance grades anymore. That bad?

Unregistered 14-05-2023 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 248321)
I heard people are already rejecting extra workload and don't care about performance grades anymore. That bad?

that is nothing new. even decades ago was such. that doesnt mean teachers never cared. many teachers realise the real difference comes when u influence students through quality of teaching, and interacting with them.

Unregistered 14-05-2023 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 248251)
I'm the OP. Not to mention loads of marking till 11pm plus weekends as i teach EL MA.

I was a stay at home mum for 10yrs before i went to NIE,
prior to that I was a project mgr.

If promotion and higher salary means heavier workload/stress than this,
I'll gladly forfeit it for better mental and physical health. Just wish to focus on teaching
so thinking if FAJT route can be my next step.

But u may just be doing more work than other teachers? Check with ur collleagues. One thhing u have to realike unlike other jobs is you can work more for students - literally to INFINITY. Eg u could check every piece of work they do.
A line has to be drawn - that depends on subject, level, age appropriateness but also school/dept culture.

Unregistered 14-05-2023 07:58 PM

Quote:

Yes me. No choice. No more bandwidth to gaf.

Unregistered 14-05-2023 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 248325)
Yes me. No choice. No more bandwidth to gaf.

Have seen some teachers don’t give homework at all, only give class work. That could one method to adopt to reduce marking load. Students are happy as well.

Unregistered 14-05-2023 11:54 PM

Quote:

if extra workload translates to extra pay, i am sure it would not be the case.

Unlike tuition in which the more students you teach, the more pay you have; in MOE schools, you can be doing more work, but if no one recognises it as making an impact, then your pay may even be less than expected. Does anyone even care how much marking you do for students or that you even prepare your own resources cause no one in the dept bothers to update the resources after donkey years?

Unregistered 15-05-2023 12:05 AM

I have colleagues who are so overwhelmed with work and they just ask for half or 3/4 load for half load

Unregistered 15-05-2023 06:58 AM

Seems like many are planning to switch to part-time load, or try to be FAJT.
People are just really burnt out.

It will be an education service with the old folks up there governing without knowing what's really happening on the ground.

Unregistered 15-05-2023 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 248336)
Seems like many are planning to switch to part-time load, or try to be FAJT.
People are just really burnt out.

It will be an education service with the old folks up there governing without knowing what's really happening on the ground.

they do, but it’s not even moe who decides.
it’s a very tight labour market.
govt will not allocate more teachers

Unregistered 15-05-2023 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 248338)

Tight labour market is true. But we cannot expect to have our cake and eat it. If we are short of teachers, we cannot expect to do more and more and more every year while maintaining or increasing standards. We have to right-size education based on staffing constraints. If the Education Service is 30k strong we cannot behave as if we are 50k strong. Then you get teachers working 80-90 hours per week including take-home work. It's ridiculous.

Unregistered 15-05-2023 10:41 AM

Don’t think it’s even possible to start doing less. The message all comes right from from PS and Minister. With so many changes every few years and not setting the stage right on what to do with so many priorities, it’s gonna get heavier and heavier

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 248341)
Tight labour market is true. But we cannot expect to have our cake and eat it. If we are short of teachers, we cannot expect to do more and more and more every year while maintaining or increasing standards. We have to right-size education based on staffing constraints. If the Education Service is 30k strong we cannot behave as if we are 50k strong. Then you get teachers working 80-90 hours per week including take-home work. It's ridiculous.

Unregistered 15-05-2023 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 248343)
Don’t think it’s even possible to start doing less. The message all comes right from from PS and Minister. With so many changes every few years and not setting the stage right on what to do with so many priorities, it’s gonna get heavier and heavier

Yup. If everything is top priority, then everything is equal priority, and the plate just gets heavier and heavier over time as every new political office holder or top management introduces their own pet project and makes it top priority.

Unregistered 15-05-2023 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 248341)

Very well said.

Unregistered 16-05-2023 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 248338)

So how? Need to vote wisely?

Unregistered 17-05-2023 12:08 PM

How do we give feedback to change? Really feel suffocated to work in such a stupid system but I like to help young students.

Unregistered 17-05-2023 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 248426)
How do we give feedback to change? Really feel suffocated to work in such a stupid system but I like to help young students.

There's only mcare or resignation.

Since when is feedback from the bottom ever listened to?

Unregistered 17-05-2023 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 248436)
There's only mcare or resignation.

Since when is feedback from the bottom ever listened to?

Resigning next week :)

Unregistered 17-05-2023 05:08 PM

Duration from GEO to SEO

Hi

Does anyone knows how long does a non-scholar KP takes to progress from GEO 5 to SEO 1? And from SEO 1 to 2?

Unregistered 17-05-2023 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 248096)
The rest of the civil service, as well as the MXOs in MOE, have switched to it. Under this system, officers are only given CEP (termed LP in other ministries) if they are assessed to have leadership potential. If not, they won't have. As for when it will roll out to Edun Service, and bits and pieces of info, do a search on MOE Intranet. Not so good to vomit out too many details here.

It's not necessarily good. In the past, your CEP more or less determined your rate of promotion. Now, promotion rates are already a complete toss up, with some people staying as GEO3 for only 1.5 years, and others for 8 years. Without CEP, it will become even more unpredictable.

well, some questions raised during townhall did reveal some juicy stuff, but most things still led to vague template answers

still interesting nevertheless

Unregistered 17-05-2023 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 248456)
well, some questions raised during townhall did reveal some juicy stuff, but most things still led to vague template answers

still interesting nevertheless

Care to share some snippets?

Unregistered 17-05-2023 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 248459)
Care to share some snippets?

Just like what was mentioned in the post, just open your laptop and go to Intranet and search a little

Unregistered 17-05-2023 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 248462)
Just like what was mentioned in the post, just open your laptop and go to Intranet and search a little

Doesn't say much

Unregistered 17-05-2023 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 248449)
Hi

Does anyone knows how long does a non-scholar KP takes to progress from GEO 5 to SEO 1? And from SEO 1 to 2?

Nobody can say for sure. Really depends on many factors eg performance, availability of vacancies at higher subgrades etc.

Unregistered 18-05-2023 10:14 PM

Anybody hear rumours abt possible news from HR regarding middle managers in schools?

Unregistered 18-05-2023 10:53 PM

Worrying Trend

I am not sure about other schools but in my school a lot of teachers are leaving the service and most of them are the younger ones who are earmarked for future leadership roles. Those who stay behind, are getting more and more work and P have already said there will be no replacement. Things are getting more and more unsustainable.

Unregistered 19-05-2023 06:23 AM

Yup, agree with how things are becoming more and more unsustainable. The ones who are left are the older teachers or the management team that believe in ideas planted into their heads - such that every child is not at fault, we should try our best to support them at the expense of ourselves, every child is intrinsically motivated, teachers should always understand the child, parents are always right. Only in LKY era will we get someone who is candid and unabashedly honest to tell parents or people to quit their demanding or hurtful behaviours.

Things cannot change with a fixed mindset. I get that we have to set principles to work on and base decisions on it, but some ideas need to evolve with times or we are ending up with students like America who would bring guns to school.

Unregistered 19-05-2023 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 248522)
Anybody hear rumours abt possible news from HR regarding middle managers in schools?

How can we find out more ?

Unregistered 19-05-2023 08:30 AM

Pls share more about these rumors

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 248522)

Unregistered 19-05-2023 03:42 PM

Only useless dumb young ones will stay

Unregistered 19-05-2023 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 248525)
I am not sure about other schools but in my school a lot of teachers are leaving the service and most of them are the younger ones who are earmarked for future leadership roles. Those who stay behind, are getting more and more work and P have already said there will be no replacement. Things are getting more and more unsustainable.

Should take the chance to leave before it's too late. Things will only get worse and worse if manpower policy remains the same.