Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 15-03-2024 08:10 AM

U could refer to past posts or check your email…..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270788)
how come PB not out yet? =/

Unregistered 15-03-2024 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270788)
how come PB not out yet? =/

Official release is 8pm today. Just be patient since the outcome is already determined. Check tomorrow morning or past midnight today.

No need to rush for the outcome.

Unregistered 15-03-2024 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher (Post 270784)
Have you reached your pay ceiling yet? C- may or may not set you back by 1 year (really depends on a few factors from what I understand, like ranking board, CEP, etc.).

The longest I've heard of from GEO3-4 is 8 years or so, with them hitting ceiling for 1 year before getting promoted. But unsure whether did they get any C- or D, or it's just their progression as such.

I think you should be reaching 8 years too?

I've been GEO3 since 2019, straight Bs and reached GEO3 ceiling twice, before and after the 9% adjustment. Still, I'm told there are other longer in service GEO3s that need to be promoted first before me, like a timed promotion thing. So what's the point of working so hard?

Unregistered 15-03-2024 09:35 AM

dropping by

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270797)
I've been GEO3 since 2019, straight Bs and reached GEO3 ceiling twice, before and after the 9% adjustment. Still, I'm told there are other longer in service GEO3s that need to be promoted first before me, like a timed promotion thing. So what's the point of working so hard?

whats the PB for a B grade at GEO3? 2.5-2.8 too?
your promotion will probably come nxt year then

Unregistered 15-03-2024 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270798)
whats the PB for a B grade at GEO3? 2.5-2.8 too?
your promotion will probably come nxt year then

The highest I received was 2.5, one time only. The rest 2.25.

Unregistered 15-03-2024 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270786)
Some schools would only announce after the PB grade unless you belong to batch promo group. Normally, my colleagues would only be informed 3 hours before they sent out an email.

What kind of schools are that? Common practice to inform before term break leh. My school inform late feb/early mar cos they already send letters to the school. Then the P will inform plus pass the letters to us. Doesn't mean batch promo will know earlier. Everybody one is together. Maybe your school slow

Unregistered 15-03-2024 11:55 AM

I never imagined tonight would bring news of a performance bonus. This past year has been an uphill battle, leaving me more isolated than I've ever felt. I've poured my heart and soul into my work, foolishly intertwining my entire self-worth with it. Now, as I contemplate bidding farewell, I realize there's no one to bid farewell to. The thought that nobody would even notice is disheartening. I yearn to have made a more significant impact, yet I feel like nothing more than a worthless cog in the machine. What am I striving for anymore? Is there any meaning to this endless cycle of disappointment and disillusionment?

Feeling adrift in a sea of uncertainty, the soaring cost of living deals another blow, leaving me questioning how anyone can endure in the long term. With a meager salary barely scraping the public expectations of 20k monthly salary, I'm mocked by my relatives, their judgment piercing deeper than any financial strain. My family bears the brunt of our circumstances, fractured by the unrelenting demands we face.

Colleagues only seem to notice me when they need more work, their superficial gestures of camaraderie magnifying my sense of isolation. And for what have I sacrificed so much? Everything. The toll of COVID blindsides me, stripping away my health. Coupled with all these factors, my inner calmness, my kindness, are disrupted, fracturing the bonds of kinship and love.

Each day feels like a battle against an invisible enemy, draining me of vitality and leaving me to ponder: is this the price we pay for mere survival?

My life is worth more than a C or D. Goodbye

Unregistered 15-03-2024 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270811)
I never imagined tonight would bring news of a performance bonus. This past year has been an uphill battle, leaving me more isolated than I've ever felt. I've poured my heart and soul into my work, foolishly intertwining my entire self-worth with it. Now, as I contemplate bidding farewell, I realize there's no one to bid farewell to. The thought that nobody would even notice is disheartening. I yearn to have made a more significant impact, yet I feel like nothing more than a worthless cog in the machine. What am I striving for anymore? Is there any meaning to this endless cycle of disappointment and disillusionment?

Feeling adrift in a sea of uncertainty, the soaring cost of living deals another blow, leaving me questioning how anyone can endure in the long term. With a meager salary barely scraping the public expectations of 20k monthly salary, I'm mocked by my relatives, their judgment piercing deeper than any financial strain. My family bears the brunt of our circumstances, fractured by the unrelenting demands we face.

Colleagues only seem to notice me when they need more work, their superficial gestures of camaraderie magnifying my sense of isolation. And for what have I sacrificed so much? Everything. The toll of COVID blindsides me, stripping away my health. Coupled with all these factors, my inner calmness, my kindness, are disrupted, fracturing the bonds of kinship and love.

Each day feels like a battle against an invisible enemy, draining me of vitality and leaving me to ponder: is this the price we pay for mere survival?

can i use this as one of the sources when setting source based questions for SS?

Unregistered 15-03-2024 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270811)

Wa. If you already honestly strive very hard and all you get is a C, or D (if you did not make any mistakes). Then I think you should just go. Leave. Because it's very obvious teaching is not for you la. Instead of putting in so much and not getting back anything or any meaning, find what is meant for you in life.

Don't be a basketball player that forces himself to play football.

Unregistered 15-03-2024 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher (Post 270764)
You can reflect this to your SLs directly. Or SWB/SWC chairperson.

If nothing is done, usually the school staff survey results will show a bad grade on the management. And they will then do something about it since cluster superintendent will question

My school's climate survey was below average 4 years ago. My SL just chuckled and said: "at least never fail".

2 years ago, my climate survey results dropped so badly my school didn't even want to share the final overall grade for fear "it demoralise the staff".

Unregistered 15-03-2024 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270831)
My school's climate survey was below average 4 years ago. My SL just chuckled and said: "at least never fail".

2 years ago, my climate survey results dropped so badly my school didn't even want to share the final overall grade for fear "it demoralise the staff".

This sounds very shocking.

Does this also mean that, for 4 years, even if results show that the environment is bad, or cause the Sup to question, nothing will change?

Unregistered 15-03-2024 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270832)

Does this also mean that, for 4 years, even if results show that the environment is bad, or cause the Sup to question, nothing will change?

no blame culture

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher 15-03-2024 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270831)

From my understanding, If it's bottom 25% of SG, and the % of SD and D is high, then the cluster sup will come down to the school to have meeting with the SLs. So if your school is still not in the bottom 25%, maybe the sup did not come. Means maybe things in your school aren't that bad yet.

But if the sup has come before for this, and it has been ongoing, means your SLs ranking and performance confirm affected. I have seen SLs get early rotation. Rotated from P to become VP even. These are all possible.

If the SLs can't do their job well, they also affect their own careers.

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher 15-03-2024 02:49 PM

Quote:

They will question. Especially after the recent years push for mental-wellness and well-being of teachers. Many things were done actually, e.g. quantum per head for Staff Welfare funds increased, so teachers don't have to fork out the $50 per sem that we used to etc.

Under this mental-wellness drive, bad staff survey is now on high radar in MOE HQ. So definitely things are done. It's very hard to have 'no blame culture' when the SLs face the sups to explain staff survey results. Bad staff survey results means SLs advancement and career opportunities get affected too.

Unregistered 15-03-2024 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher (Post 270834)
From my understanding, If it's bottom 25% of SG, and the % of SD and D is high, then the cluster sup will come down to the school to have meeting with the SLs. So if your school is still not in the bottom 25%, maybe the sup did not come. Means maybe things in your school aren't that bad yet.

But if the sup has come before for this, and it has been ongoing, means your SLs ranking and performance confirm affected. I have seen SLs get early rotation. Rotated from P to become VP even. These are all possible.

If the SLs can't do their job well, they also affect their own careers.

Ya my school went through something like that. West side one. And then hearsay from my HOD is the sup give the SLs 2 years to improve the culture. But in the end one of my VP from doing EO become go admin. Is considered demoted liao cos is not the old kind yet. So instead of move up to P, now demote. I think in the end the SLs they blame blame then find out is VP nv do much or what.

Anyway 2 years later got improve the results so I will say some things they got slowly solve la

Unregistered 15-03-2024 05:26 PM

2 more hours and 35 minutes…..

Because I never known my performance grade. These days ROs don’t tell. They used to tell you at the end of the year, but nowadays, no more

Unregistered 15-03-2024 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270783)
2017 Geo 3 liao, damn sian

I’ve been geo3 since Oct 2018. Had a combination of C, C+ and B. Still not promoted. My fellow batch mates and seniors also still at Geo 3. People who aren’t at Geo 3 already are the scholars and people designated for leadership. That’s the trend now. According to my P, MOE is not trying to cut back on promotion. The org is too top heavy. And too many teacher silent quit after reaching Geo 4/5. So promotion is no longer time based and fast by default. You’ll have to work hard to get your CEP adjusted by being chosen for leadership. Our era really suay lor.

Unregistered 15-03-2024 05:56 PM

Will the psc hod will make it 4 consecutive years of promotions from geo4 to seo2 this year? woohoo

Unregistered 15-03-2024 05:58 PM

Quote:

just say which school lor

Unregistered 15-03-2024 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270846)
2 more hours and 35 minutes…..

Because I never known my performance grade. These days ROs don’t tell. They used to tell you at the end of the year, but nowadays, no more

Personally, I think it's good practice for RO not to say too early. Things can still change along the way, from the school-based ranking until it finally gets to us in April.

Unregistered 15-03-2024 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270853)
Personally, I think it's good practice for RO not to say too early. Things can still change along the way, from the school-based ranking until it finally gets to us in April.

usually is change for the better or for the worse?

Unregistered 15-03-2024 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270855)
usually is change for the better or for the worse?

Of course some better, some worse

Unregistered 15-03-2024 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270859)
Of course some better, some worse

I heard the grades are usually set in stone by Nov Dec period?

Unregistered 15-03-2024 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270847)
I’ve been geo3 since Oct 2018. Had a combination of C, C+ and B. Still not promoted. My fellow batch mates and seniors also still at Geo 3. People who aren’t at Geo 3 already are the scholars and people designated for leadership. That’s the trend now. According to my P, MOE is not trying to cut back on promotion. The org is too top heavy. And too many teacher silent quit after reaching Geo 4/5. So promotion is no longer time based and fast by default. You’ll have to work hard to get your CEP adjusted by being chosen for leadership. Our era really suay lor.

Need to emphasize again, doing one's job according to what one is paid for, is NOT silent quitting.

If they feel that a teacher is underperforming, then it should be reflected through the performance grade

If they want someone to produce B or even A grade work, then be prepared to give the As and Bs accordingly during appraisal

If they expect people to go above and beyond (above C), yet refuse to give due recognition (by awarding better grades), then either there's something wrong with their appraisal system or expectations, likely both.

Which fool want to keep doing things without rewards? Work is not a charity.

Unregistered 15-03-2024 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270833)
no blame culture

Singaporeans can do no wrong. It's always the foreigners fault.

Unregistered 15-03-2024 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270862)
Need to emphasize again, doing one's job according to what one is paid for, is NOT silent quitting.

If they feel that a teacher is underperforming, then it should be reflected through the performance grade

If they want someone to produce B or even A grade work, then be prepared to give the As and Bs accordingly during appraisal

If they expect people to go above and beyond (above C), yet refuse to give due recognition (by awarding better grades), then either there's something wrong with their appraisal system or expectations, likely both.

Which fool want to keep doing things without rewards? Work is not a charity.

Tell that to the younger teachers who criticise older teachers who are performing at a satisfactory level. Why should a HOD who's still getting at least C have to make way for a younger teacher?

Unregistered 15-03-2024 08:06 PM

2021: Joined service
2022: promoted to GEO3, C+
2023: C+
2024: B

Hoping for promotion this year or next, but fingers crossed

Unregistered 15-03-2024 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270860)
I heard the grades are usually set in stone by Nov Dec period?

After promotion
C+, 2 months

Unregistered 15-03-2024 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270874)

From what I see here, not necessarily. I rmb seeing a few months back someone posted similar to yours but started 2017, then 2018 promoted to GEO3. Had a string of Bs and A even but only 2021 then promoted. So if that guy/girl chiong so much and still promoted in 2021 (from 2017), then your chance of promoting this year I think very low ah. Next year maybe got chance but highly likely u need another B, then 2026 promote. That's considered ok already. Some GEO3 here after 7 or 8 years then promote

Unregistered 15-03-2024 08:22 PM

System down. Can’t check

Unregistered 15-03-2024 08:29 PM

GEO4, grade A, 3.5 months

Unregistered 15-03-2024 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270881)

are u a KP?

Unregistered 15-03-2024 08:34 PM

Quote:

Yes your promotion is near,
Depends on your CEP, year in Service and age.

Mine PGDE female 2017
2020: C+, after promoted to GEO3
2021 : B
2022: A
2023: A, promoted to GEO4 30y/o

Unregistered 15-03-2024 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270880)
System down. Can’t check

check on HRP website itself! login with SingPass

Unregistered 15-03-2024 08:39 PM

Quote:

It's possible with another B next year. but ATB!

Unregistered 15-03-2024 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270884)
Yes your promotion is near,
Depends on your CEP, year in Service and age.

Mine PGDE female 2017
2020: C+, after promoted to GEO3
2021 : B
2022: A
2023: A, promoted to GEO4 30y/o

PDGE 2020 Batch
2020 - C
2021 - C+ (Promoted to GEO 3)
2022 - C
2023 - B (2.7 months)

I hope to get GEO 4 within the next 2 years

Unregistered 15-03-2024 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270881)

Congrats! Your ball carrying paid off

Unregistered 15-03-2024 08:59 PM

Is it hard to get B grading for GEO 5 ? Is it a norm to get C ?

Unregistered 15-03-2024 09:36 PM

Will we get to know if we are promoted from the PB slip?

Unregistered 15-03-2024 09:37 PM

GEO 5, A, 3 months. Hmm