Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

horer2 16-03-2024 08:43 AM

Promotion rate

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270981)
Is the promotion rate different for PGDE and NIE degree prog? If both have similar grades

Promotion is dependent not on the cert you have gotten but overall performance and CEP.

Unregistered 16-03-2024 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270982)
GEO 3, A. 3 months. My GEO 3 colleague also got A but he got 3.5 months.

3 months is still a great bonus

Unregistered 16-03-2024 09:01 AM

Anyone know the percentage of every performance grade in each subgrade? Bell curve?

Unregistered 16-03-2024 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270985)
Hais have been getting 3 years of B previously but this year, dropped to C+ because I went on maternity leave in term 2 and 3. I’m covering LH in my school. My RO had told me before she had tried to fight for me to remain at B with the work I had done in term 1 but other KPs disagreed as I didn’t do as much for the whole year. Funny thing was SL agreed with my ro and said that can other people produce the same quality work during the same time period as me. But other KPs still disagreed. Maybe they were also trying to push for their JH. But.. it’s not like Ipurposely don’t want to do the work what.. I was on maternity leave ma… I went back in term 4 and continued with my covering LH duties but lol joke’s on me since ranking has ended by then.. so whoever that said maternity leave won’t affect your pb and grade, all lying. Maybe time to think through and change focus to my family now. Since getting this c+ now would definitely affect my promotion to a geo4. I’m Geo 3 for 5 years already.

They could have chosen not to rank you. And you would have been a default C. Should be appreciative of the C+.

You were off for two crucial terms as an LH. Even if they considered your good work in remaining terms, your overall school contribution would have been lesser as compared to your peers. It’s a bit of a quality and quantity discussion. I wouldn’t trust what ur RO tells you, how he or she framed things is a bit worrying, speaks poorly of him or herself.

Unregistered 16-03-2024 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270984)
Corrected:

GEO
A 2.8-3.5
B 2.25-2.75
C+ 1.55-2.2
C 1.1-1.5
C- 0.5-1
D 0

Is there one for SEO?

iirc, the lower ranges seem to have dropped compared to pre-covid?

the PB recognition given to GEOs compared to the MX scheme seems to have shrunk even more throughout the years. the amounts for C in the MX scheme is similar to the C+ here. to confirm this, u can also casually check with your EAS team haha

since last year, i still did not believe that all the numbers "reverted" to pre-covid. the C grade increment for geo3 and 4 was $10 less. just like what a previous poster mention, the small amounts do add up.

also based on what many have shared, the ranking process is highly subjective. even the systems themselves are controlled by the humans. ultimately its a judgment game by the humans above us and is highly dependent on your environment. if u want a realistic analogy, its just like the PW grading debate that has occurred at all JCs until severe continuous backlash forced them to change it to pass/fail

ok enough painful truths here lol. happy or sad, whole public sector still needs to go back to work on monday anyway

everyone can continue to crowdsource data again once the increment is out in april to analyze the trends :)

Unregistered 16-03-2024 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270993)
3 months is still a great bonus

typical person who can’t see that most of us content with 1.25-1.5 months

Unregistered 16-03-2024 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchen (Post 270979)
C+, 2.2

Is the quantum higher because we are severely understaffed?

possibly but maybe also no A?

Unregistered 16-03-2024 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270981)
Is the promotion rate different for PGDE and NIE degree prog? If both have similar grades

She has to ask. . ask P. i know ppl who hv done that

Unregistered 16-03-2024 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270985)
Hais have been getting 3 years of B previously but this year, dropped to C+ because I went on maternity leave in term 2 and 3. I’m covering LH in my school. My RO had told me before she had tried to fight for me to remain at B with the work I had done in term 1 but other KPs disagreed as I didn’t do as much for the whole year. Funny thing was SL agreed with my ro and said that can other people produce the same quality work during the same time period as me. But other KPs still disagreed. Maybe they were also trying to push for their JH. But.. it’s not like Ipurposely don’t want to do the work what.. I was on maternity leave ma… I went back in term 4 and continued with my covering LH duties but lol joke’s on me since ranking has ended by then.. so whoever that said maternity leave won’t affect your pb and grade, all lying. Maybe time to think through and change focus to my family now. Since getting this c+ now would definitely affect my promotion to a geo4. I’m Geo 3 for 5 years already.

Yup, I also want to say, whoever say maternity won’t affect PB is a lie unless your P loves you a lot and fight for u.
A friend went missing for first 3 terms. Come back term 4 only and continue to get a B and promote, plus given a position. (?!?!?)
Whereas a colleague went missing only 1 term but Pb dropped and everything else the same with no promotion.

Me myself went on maternity and also delayed promotion by a year compared to my batch mates. Jiayou ba and all the best

Unregistered 16-03-2024 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271023)
Yup, I also want to say, whoever say maternity won’t affect PB is a lie unless your P loves you a lot and fight for u.
A friend went missing for first 3 terms. Come back term 4 only and continue to get a B and promote, plus given a position. (?!?!?)
Whereas a colleague went missing only 1 term but Pb dropped and everything else the same with no promotion.

Me myself went on maternity and also delayed promotion by a year compared to my batch mates. Jiayou ba and all the best

Guys, I am not saying promotion is not important but have you considered being promoted is also added work expectations permanently? I would suggest to look at it as a total renumeration package over the year. When you add up, a GEO3 with PB of B might get more as compared to a GEO4 of C. Don’t be blindsided with too much of these distractions. You will be surprised when you are way overwhelmed later on in your career with other life responsibilities that you will be willingly trade away the promotion you thought you needed all these years for a lower workload.

Unregistered 16-03-2024 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270960)
How are they separate matters? And how is merit increment related to PB? Any figures to be exact?

Yes, MI is related to PB. Everyone knows that and this was discussed last year in April.

Unregistered 16-03-2024 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270982)
GEO 3, A. 3 months. My GEO 3 colleague also got A but he got 3.5 months.

Very rare to have two As in the same basket.

Unregistered 16-03-2024 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271023)

Yup, that’s definitely true. If your P loves you, it’s easy. Just do everything with sincerity and don’t think about promotions or increments! Do for the students!!!

Unregistered 16-03-2024 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271000)
iirc, the lower ranges seem to have dropped compared to pre-covid?

the PB recognition given to GEOs compared to the MX scheme seems to have shrunk even more throughout the years. the amounts for C in the MX scheme is similar to the C+ here. to confirm this, u can also casually check with your EAS team haha

since last year, i still did not believe that all the numbers "reverted" to pre-covid. the C grade increment for geo3 and 4 was $10 less. just like what a previous poster mention, the small amounts do add up.

also based on what many have shared, the ranking process is highly subjective. even the systems themselves are controlled by the humans. ultimately its a judgment game by the humans above us and is highly dependent on your environment. if u want a realistic analogy, its just like the PW grading debate that has occurred at all JCs until severe continuous backlash forced them to change it to pass/fail

ok enough painful truths here lol. happy or sad, whole public sector still needs to go back to work on monday anyway

everyone can continue to crowdsource data again once the increment is out in april to analyze the trends :)

After reading the recent posts, it sounds as though ranking is mostly down to luck eventually. Perhaps sometimes, transparency and fairness really don't apply? Lol

Unregistered 16-03-2024 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271054)
Yup, that’s definitely true. If your P loves you, it’s easy. Just do everything with sincerity and don’t think about promotions or increments! Do for the students!!!

Performance bonus is at the end of the day a bonus. We already are paid for our job. If you get more. Then good. If not then nvm

Unregistered 16-03-2024 02:41 PM

Hi, what are my chances of being promoted to GEO4 this year?

2022: C+, Cohort Promotion to GEO3
2023: B
2024: A

Unregistered 16-03-2024 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271054)

Only do for the students? You will get C- & D straight for years.

Unregistered 16-03-2024 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271065)

Hahaha, that’s what laojiao do! Do enough to get at least a C and worst case is C-. D is not as easy to get unless you are really out of line. If you have gotten a D and do not know why, chances are the SMC use you as an easy target. Go to another school.

Would you work way more for less than a month pay over 1 year with many meetings after school or nights of extra work? I give some context here eh. A GEO3 of about $5000 getting 2.5 months PB is about the same cost to MOE as a GEO5 $8000 getting 1 month PB. Overall, it is still about costing. PB no doubt is about rewarding good performers but you got to ask yourself if it is sustainable for yourself. Don’t get caught in the rat race, especially when the difference is only less than 1 month worth of salary. If you overwork constantly, that $10000 extra you gain will eventually be spent on medical bills etc.

Unregistered 16-03-2024 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271056)
After reading the recent posts, it sounds as though ranking is mostly down to luck eventually. Perhaps sometimes, transparency and fairness really don't apply? Lol

If you have been to ranking sessions, you will realise what you do don’t really matter. It is how people see you or how your leadership package you. You can screw things up and they can claim you are learning. In the same light, they can blow it up to put a dent in your career. So, unless you already the chosen nobles - the likes of PSC Admin Officer level who are in the MA track or EMS scholars, (TS and TA are not going to go as far and the earlier you accept it, the better) accept that it is a job and it is an exchange of money for your time and professional inputs. There is nothing wrong in being a farmer. Farmers get work done and feed your family. They also contribute to the economy. If you desire to gain more resources, then maximize your talent. Doing one job really well is not maximizing your talent if you are capped by your salary.

Unregistered 16-03-2024 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271059)

Not high. Definitely need 1 more year at least, with A/B grade for 2024.

Unless ur PSC scholar, then u go HQ posting or get invited to go. Then maybe this year.

Unregistered 16-03-2024 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271065)

Not true. Very easy to maintain C while doing for students only. C- and D usually means they do below average of what's expected of their subgrade.

E.g. GEO5 basic expectation need to do cluster sharing. How many GEO5s actually do that? Most just be comfy in their Lower Block, or just do normal teaching etc. If that's the case, the school has every right to give them C- or D.

Because higher subgrade consist of more responsibilities.

Which is also why it's easy to get high grades when u are lower subgrade, but harder when u go up.

So if you have been doing the same stuff from GEO3, and if now u GEO4 or 5, still doing the same stuff, don't expect to remain at the same grade. It should drop, rightfully so.

Unregistered 16-03-2024 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271059)

I'm one batch above you. Many of my batchmates got that grade but not promoted, including myself. Promotion rates have slowed. Those who were promoted was overseas scholar or EMS scholars. There is chance but its small. ATB!

Unregistered 16-03-2024 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271070)
Not high. Definitely need 1 more year at least, with A/B grade for 2024.

Unless ur PSC scholar, then u go HQ posting or get invited to go. Then maybe this year.

I concur with this. Not high.
OP is doing a great job and being recognised for the contributions. Sometimes, when officers get promoted too fast, they cannot match up to the expectations and the perf grade became a downwards hill after that. Geo 4/5 gave many competent teachers and KPs, so it is not too bad a thing that promotion did not come fast and furious. Without an appt, hitting geo 5 or 5A too soon will just get young officers jaded.

Unregistered 16-03-2024 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270997)
They could have chosen not to rank you. And you would have been a default C. Should be appreciative of the C+.

You were off for two crucial terms as an LH. Even if they considered your good work in remaining terms, your overall school contribution would have been lesser as compared to your peers. It’s a bit of a quality and quantity discussion. I wouldn’t trust what ur RO tells you, how he or she framed things is a bit worrying, speaks poorly of him or herself.

I agree with you on the poor comms by the RO. It is a lousy attempt to push the blame to others. Tbh, 2/4 terms missing will no doubt limit the amount of contributions. I was in the same boat and..I was really surprised that I was given a very surprising grade that year. That was also because I was able to prove my worth during the two terms I was around. Anyway, OP, think positively and be happy that your work is recognised, although it fell short of your expectations.

Unregistered 16-03-2024 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchen (Post 270990)
Sister thinks that it's her birth right to get above C for being MIA for 4 months, while others tank her job.

And this reply precisely shows why people always say that if you go for maternity, you are a default c. I don’t think there’s a need to be so sarcastic because OP’s feelings are valid. She could have really worked very hard during the time that she’s around, just that there’s a mismatch of expectations.

Anyway, it’s not true that going on maternity will after pb and promotion. I’ve a batch mate who was on maternity for half a year but still got B and was promoted the next year.

Unregistered 16-03-2024 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271051)
Yes, MI is related to PB. Everyone knows that and this was discussed last year in April.

I asked because I’m obviously and new to the service. If you don’t want to answer then don’t need to bother to even reply lol

Unregistered 16-03-2024 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271051)

In the first place, the question was HOW not IS. I hope you’re not a teacher… such lousy comprehension skills you have

Unregistered 16-03-2024 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271077)
I'm one batch above you. Many of my batchmates got that grade but not promoted, including myself. Promotion rates have slowed. Those who were promoted was overseas scholar or EMS scholars. There is chance but its small. ATB!

I started in 2019. Managed to get promoted in 2020 (cohort promotion) and 2022 (GEO4) with thr exact same grades. Though I suppose I was fortunate my cep had been pushed up prior. Am just a TSL. to my knowledge, I only know EMS scholars and above who have gotten promoted within 2 years. Slim but is possible.

And if you don't, getting that promotion within three years is also awesomely fast! Don't get fixated on promotion as it isn't a reward. As some have mentioned, it means having to meet high KRAs which you may not be ready to take on too. Find fulfillment in other areas too besides promotion and monetary increment.

Unregistered 16-03-2024 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271148)
I started in 2019. Managed to get promoted in 2020 (cohort promotion) and 2022 (GEO4) with thr exact same grades. Though I suppose I was fortunate my cep had been pushed up prior. Am just a TSL. to my knowledge, I only know EMS scholars and above who have gotten promoted within 2 years. Slim but is possible.

And if you don't, getting that promotion within three years is also awesomely fast! Don't get fixated on promotion as it isn't a reward. As some have mentioned, it means having to meet high KRAs which you may not be ready to take on too. Find fulfillment in other areas too besides promotion and monetary increment.

Actually, I think 'teachers' in HQ are promoted faster, scholar or not.

Unregistered 17-03-2024 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271144)
In the first place, the question was HOW not IS. I hope you’re not a teacher… such lousy comprehension skills you have

Lol so petty… must be damn high stress

Unregistered 17-03-2024 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271148)

What does TSL mean?

Unregistered 17-03-2024 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unregistered (Post 270928)
geo3, c+ 1.8

geo 4 c+ 1.85

nostalgic_bunny 17-03-2024 12:30 AM

hi am currently looking to go through PGDE to teach art. is there any advice for art teachers (sec)? will the progression be slower cause there is lesser places?

Unregistered 17-03-2024 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271066)
Hahaha, that’s what laojiao do! Do enough to get at least a C and worst case is C-. D is not as easy to get unless you are really out of line. If you have gotten a D and do not know why, chances are the SMC use you as an easy target. Go to another school.

Would you work way more for less than a month pay over 1 year with many meetings after school or nights of extra work? I give some context here eh. A GEO3 of about $5000 getting 2.5 months PB is about the same cost to MOE as a GEO5 $8000 getting 1 month PB. Overall, it is still about costing. PB no doubt is about rewarding good performers but you got to ask yourself if it is sustainable for yourself. Don’t get caught in the rat race, especially when the difference is only less than 1 month worth of salary. If you overwork constantly, that $10000 extra you gain will eventually be spent on medical bills etc.

Most sensible comment that all should take note

Unregistered 17-03-2024 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271172)
Most sensible comment that all should take note

ownself praise ownself

Unregistered 17-03-2024 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nostalgic_bunny (Post 271167)
hi am currently looking to go through PGDE to teach art. is there any advice for art teachers (sec)? will the progression be slower cause there is lesser places?

What progression do you want? Leadership? Are you ok with leading something outside art? Such as being a discipline master or year head? If yes, then there is room for advancement. For subjects like art, you are put together with other subjects as such D&T, music to form a department. This is the same as sciences. There can be subject head for Art but any of the members from the department can take on HOD.

So you have to ask yourself, are you ok with the prospect of teaching a subject you love as a teacher for a long long time (in case no vacancy for leadership). I think from experience, being an Art teacher, you automatically become members of committees that needs Art work - publication, commemorative events, school based celebration and even welfare events. The plate is always full although most people will be envy of your marking load.

Unregistered 17-03-2024 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271174)
What progression do you want? Leadership? Are you ok with leading something outside art? Such as being a discipline master or year head? If yes, then there is room for advancement. For subjects like art, you are put together with other subjects as such D&T, music to form a department. This is the same as sciences. There can be subject head for Art but any of the members from the department can take on HOD.

So you have to ask yourself, are you ok with the prospect of teaching a subject you love as a teacher for a long long time (in case no vacancy for leadership). I think from experience, being an Art teacher, you automatically become members of committees that needs Art work - publication, commemorative events, school based celebration and even welfare events. The plate is always full although most people will be envy of your marking load.

To add on, workload is very heavy, even though marking is considerably less

Most schools don't have that many art teachers, and art being a compulsory subject for lower sec, means that there's very few people available to shoulder the load should anyone leaves. And then there are many afternoons burned to supervise coursework for national exams

Unregistered 17-03-2024 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271056)

Just sharing a thought here eh. The teaching profession used to have only 2 SEO positions in school. The P and VP were the only ones with that grade. The rest will be teachers with time based promotion and a fixed MI every year. Bonus was very much also shared based on ranks. Back then was GEO1A1, 1A2, 2A1 … etc. Over the years, the political leadership felt that there is a need to identify good and bad performers and EPMS came about. That’s was 2008.

Now if you think about it as a system point of view, you are simply taking the bonus from the “poorer performer” and gave it to the “better performer” There is almost no additional resources required but it makes the people in the system worked harder than they used to. It becomes a grinder of sort. It might make sense in the corporate world where costing and revenue are immediate on a year on year basis. We are talking about kids here. Can we be very sure what you do now has a big impact? What are the matrix involved in looking at success? What happen when a wayward child became someone 20 years later and attributed his or her success to the teacher 20 years ago? Will the teacher be rewarded then?

So back to the point of fairness in ranking. When there are people making judgement on others, biases are always there. There are always friendship of 20 years when the HOD are friends with the teachers since NIE, there are halo effect where officers have done something good in August and it was always amplified many times over while good things done in Dec and Jan seems to be forgotten. RO who are too tired or worried to spoil relationship, SLs who have preference for one over the other. The potential list goes on. So at the end of the day, in a school of 100, majority will always get C. Perhaps 15 will C+ and B while 1 or 2 will get A. Let’s not forget maybe 5 will get C- and D. If you see the numbers, for you to be elevated to C+ and above, you must be top 20 in your school. These include all your EOs such as KPs and SLs as well. Do you think your SEO officers are not ranked and their ranking pool is not the same as yours?

The next question is you have to ask yourself how much are you willing to give to get to top 20? I agree with one recent comment on sustainability and costing. At the end of the day, there is little control over promotion and PB grades since there is so much more subjectivity than objectivity. Your HOD could have seen 1 off event and marked you while for the whole year such event did not exist - maybe late for lesson as you were in toilet and a fight broke up. How this HOD interprets this incident depends on his perception of you, if he has selfish thoughts to push up his JHs, is he impartial, his personality etc etc.

I am in the ranking panel and have seen questions like that pop up all the time. However, I too stand to be corrected 🙂

Unregistered 17-03-2024 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nostalgic_bunny (Post 271167)

Just don't bother to come in. Make sure your second subject is a core subject. Art this kind of subject is deemed as third grade in the eyes of MOE and some schools. You can't really go far with this CS. I totally do not advise it.

Unregistered 17-03-2024 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270975)
Why should you expect to promote with Cs, when those with As and Bs haven't promote?

In terms of seniority and with the batch, they have promoted with just straight C's throughout their career. But me? one C- and all goes down. This is a darn crucifixion man.