Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 13-11-2023 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260038)
C- no connect plan deposit for that year. No promotion for next 3 years.

no la. the new system not like that. got connection plan and increment one. C- is considered a good grade now. just the stigma from the past.

Unregistered 13-11-2023 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260294)
You will be required to include your past two/three years’ work of what you have done in terms of how you helped in the PD of your colleagues. It can be level based or school wide initiatives. If your school has been giving you opportunities, it will be quite easy to build up your portfolio. My interview was in Term 3, was told to start preparing portfolio in Term 1. P needs to give input on your portfolio and may sit down with you to prep you for the interview. During interview, you might be asked questions about your portfolio, any pedagogy related questions and hypothetical questions.

Think twice before accepting this path as STs are often HOD’s PA and nothing more.

I'm in a dilemma which is sort of related here.

Although I have voiced out interest in climbing the leadership track, the school keeps pushing me towards ST related initiatives and opportunities. They didn't specifically say so but I can see it in the nature of the courses I'm being pushed for, and the projects I'm made to be in charge of. My RO also hinted on why I'm not interested in the ST route.

Deep down I know the real reasons why this is sort of happening. My RO has been sitting on the leadership position that I'm climbing towards. The school also lack STs in my IP area. Current and prospective KPs are also very saturated with scholars (may or may not be high performing, but since they got the scholar status...)

I have tried applying for transfers out, but everyone including the SLs kept persuading me to stay. I also know that I will be blocked from transferring because my department is extremely shorthanded.

At the same time I'm trying my best not to sound impolite or arrogant since the school is indeed offering me career progression opportunities.

Not sure of how to navigate this.

Unregistered 13-11-2023 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260302)
no la. the new system not like that. got connection plan and increment one. C- is considered a good grade now. just the stigma from the past.

C- no connect plan deposit for that year and no promotion for next 3 years.

Unregistered 13-11-2023 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260299)
can la. even D grade also can. just whether the other school wants.

HQ must be at least a C- I remembered.

You are really one joker lah.

Unregistered 13-11-2023 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260308)

Then D is what?

Unregistered 13-11-2023 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260309)
You are really one joker lah.

I am not a joker. it is the truth.
I have colleagues who have C- and left on open posting. how is that a joke?
D grade colleagues also gone for open posting interviews. if the school is desperate enough, they will take.

Unregistered 13-11-2023 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260308)

where are you getting your info from?

c- is NOT an adverse grade. you will still get your connect plan. exactly how much, you will need to check with the relevant people.

promotion is based on other factors too. if unsure, call HR. they will assist you.

Unregistered 13-11-2023 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260306)
I'm in a dilemma which is sort of related here.

Although I have voiced out interest in climbing the leadership track, the school keeps pushing me towards ST related initiatives and opportunities. They didn't specifically say so but I can see it in the nature of the courses I'm being pushed for, and the projects I'm made to be in charge of. My RO also hinted on why I'm not interested in the ST route.

Deep down I know the real reasons why this is sort of happening. My RO has been sitting on the leadership position that I'm climbing towards. The school also lack STs in my IP area. Current and prospective KPs are also very saturated with scholars (may or may not be high performing, but since they got the scholar status...)

I have tried applying for transfers out, but everyone including the SLs kept persuading me to stay. I also know that I will be blocked from transferring because my department is extremely shorthanded.

At the same time I'm trying my best not to sound impolite or arrogant since the school is indeed offering me career progression opportunities.

Not sure of how to navigate this.

They can't block you from doing open posting or closed posting, at most they can only keep you for extra 6 months. Time to leave if it doesn't suit you. All the best!

Unregistered 13-11-2023 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260311)
Then D is what?

precisely. that guy made it sound like D and C- are the same.

check with HR directly.

Unregistered 13-11-2023 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260297)
If your superior tells you that you will be given a bigger role in your department, what does that mean?

It means you should ask your superior what they mean by that. Why ask random people on the Internet who know nothing of your current and future role

Unregistered 13-11-2023 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260315)
I am not a joker. it is the truth.
I have colleagues who have C- and left on open posting. how is that a joke?
D grade colleagues also gone for open posting interviews. if the school is desperate enough, they will take.

Agree with this. Had one teacher who was very upset at getting D and applied for open posting. Other school accepted

Unregistered 13-11-2023 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260229)
When I got a C-. I never heard of it or was informed of it. the connect plan was withheld and the next year there was a letter to say it was forfeited because of my conducted. so technically yes to no connect plan

C- no connect plan deposit for that year. Promotion delayed by 3 years

Unregistered 13-11-2023 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260332)
C- no connect plan deposit for that year. Promotion delayed by 3 years

Stop circulating fake news. go download the circular and read.

Unregistered 14-11-2023 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260334)

C- connect plan deposit is forfeited for that year. This was implemented about 1-2 years ago.
C- aka no promotion for 3 years. Go and check with HR.

Unregistered 14-11-2023 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260334)

Dated 2021

Teachers who have shown consistently good performance and are assessed to be ready to take on a higher level job may be considered for promotion. Hence, weaker performers with C- grades would typically not be considered for promotion until they demonstrate consistently good performance, in line with the Civil Service’s practice. This is to ensure that they are able to contribute at the promoted substantive grade. However, if there are exceptional cases, special consideration will be given on a case-by-case basis.

Unregistered 14-11-2023 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260355)
Dated 2021

Teachers who have shown consistently good performance and are assessed to be ready to take on a higher level job may be considered for promotion. Hence, weaker performers with C- grades would typically not be considered for promotion until they demonstrate consistently good performance, in line with the Civil Service’s practice. This is to ensure that they are able to contribute at the promoted substantive grade. However, if there are exceptional cases, special consideration will be given on a case-by-case basis.

notes but there are other factors at play too for promotion. the key word here is typically. of cos they will push the above C- people for promotion. it is meritocracy right? how would an officer with a C feel if he or she is bypassed for promotion because the fellow got a C-. it will not make sense to that officer. however one may argue that another officer with a lower Perf grade gets promoted ahead of another - it could be due to other factors like CEP, vacancy in the sub-grade or time issue. that is why it is special consideration. a letter of warning will not help matters too. Nowhere it says that C- also does not freeze your promotion for 3 years. go ask your P or VP for confirmation of this info if you are unsure.

as for connect plan - there will be contribution - alsp go ask a P or VP if u are lazy to call HR.

Unregistered 14-11-2023 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260355)
Dated 2021

where did you get the magical number of 3?

Unregistered 14-11-2023 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260358)

Consistently good performance. Aka 3, go ask HR if you are not sure.

Unregistered 14-11-2023 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260358)

After a C- or below, you subsequently need 3 years with C or above before you may be considered for promotion again. It's standard, though exceptions may be granted for outstanding improvement.

Unregistered 14-11-2023 05:52 PM

Anybody knows the pay grade scales for GEO2 to GEO4? Thanks

Unregistered 14-11-2023 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260364)
After a C- or below, you subsequently need 3 years with C or above before you may be considered for promotion again. It's standard, though exceptions may be granted for outstanding improvement.

Does C grade qualify one for promotion? Isn’t it minimum C+ to be considered for promotion?

Unregistered 15-11-2023 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260402)
Does C grade qualify one for promotion? Isn’t it minimum C+ to be considered for promotion?

Consistent Cs are good enough but your promotion will be slightly slower you will then be promoted based on YIS.

Unregistered 15-11-2023 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260402)

C grade is the minimum before the panel is allowed to put up an officer for promotion or for HR to flag the officer for promotion. This does not mean that the officer will be promoted; it just means that they MAY be considered. This is in contrast to the officer getting C- or below, where they WILL NOT be considered for promotion.

No such thing as minimum C+ to be considered for promotion. What you are describing is an observed trend where officers getting better performance grades are more likely to be promoted, which is reasonable. However, there are also some C graders getting promoted, such as officers receiving cohort promotions or those who have spent many many years at their previous grade without any significant performance or disciplinary shortcomings.

Unregistered 15-11-2023 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260429)
Consistent Cs are good enough but your promotion will be slightly slower you will then be promoted based on YIS.

does that mean if u get some C+, then years required to promote will be fewer?

and if get some B, even fewer?

Unregistered 15-11-2023 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260433)
does that mean if u get some C+, then years required to promote will be fewer?

and if get some B, even fewer?

Typically, but perf grade is not the only factor, neither is it a major factor. i.e. if you try to plot the data you won't get a linear relationship between perf grade and time between promotions.

Other factors like CEP and how hard your bosses fight and push for you (hard truth) are more significant.

Unregistered 15-11-2023 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260434)
Typically, but perf grade is not the only factor, neither is it a major factor. i.e. if you try to plot the data you won't get a linear relationship between perf grade and time between promotions.

Other factors like CEP and how hard your bosses fight and push for you (hard truth) are more significant.

I heard CEP has been scrapped? Anyone able to confirm?

Unregistered 15-11-2023 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260437)
I heard CEP has been scrapped? Anyone able to confirm?

Most of the rest of the civil service has moved on to a different system where a certain "measure" of potential is assigned to officers who are assessed to have potential to take on leadership appointments. It is in spirit still quite similar to CEP, although not every officer would have one by default.

MOE is taking a slower approach in rolling out changes to CEP for education officers, but there is definitely going to be an overhaul of the existing system and it could be similar to the LP system described above.

If you look for the "Work Review Form (Closed Section)" in MOE Intranet, that is still in use as of now. Draw your own conclusions from that. Don't ask people to break confidentiality on public forums please.

Unregistered 15-11-2023 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260434)

RO makes a lot of difference. Two of us joined the service the same time, same gender, same school. She has an RO who fought for her. Received a C, C+, C+ and a B and got promoted to GEO4. Me on the other hand has been a straight B since day 1 with an RO who is known to not be bothered to fight for her JHs. Five Bs later and I'm still GEO3. Sigh

Unregistered 16-11-2023 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260475)
RO makes a lot of difference. Two of us joined the service the same time, same gender, same school. She has an RO who fought for her. Received a C, C+, C+ and a B and got promoted to GEO4. Me on the other hand has been a straight B since day 1 with an RO who is known to not be bothered to fight for her JHs. Five Bs later and I'm still GEO3. Sigh

If your RO did not speak for you, you would not have gotten straight Bs

Unregistered 16-11-2023 04:21 AM

Quote:

Your CEP is lower.

gypsy 16-11-2023 07:43 AM

Closed Posting

Hi hi,

When will the closed posting results be out?

:)

Unregistered 16-11-2023 04:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260510)
Your CEP is lower.

This is rather interesting and strange...does this mean that actually the number of As and Bs do not matter in order to promote?

Does it also mean someone can get 5 Cs and still get promoted?

Unregistered 16-11-2023 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260543)
This is rather interesting and strange...does this mean that actually the number of As and Bs do not matter in order to promote?

The official promotion criterion is: demonstrating the ability to meet the expectations at the next higher subgrade. NOT: many As, many Bs.

Indirectly this also means that it is tied to CEP (or whatever CEP will become), because CEP is an estimate of potential to perform in a certain appointment at a certain subgrade.

Promotion criteria has nothing to do with performance grades, which are appraisals of work done in a single year. Strong performance grades only correlate with fast promotions because people with high potential tend to also get strong performance grades.

Unregistered 16-11-2023 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260543)

Lots of As and Bs are useless for speeding up promotion if they do not also come along with a CEP review.

Unregistered 17-11-2023 07:22 AM

Quote:

This is a myth lol that is circulated among teachers. ROs and even SLs have little control over promotions as it’s centrally decided by HR using a deterministic algorithm. What the panel can do is to raise CEP to accelerate promotions.

Unregistered 17-11-2023 05:32 PM

Hi all. I’m currently a KP/SH serving my secondment which will end in end 2025 (2 years time). I’ve been told by my SL that I will be going for FHQ posting at the end of the secondment stint.

I am currently also contemplating doing post-grad under the post-grad scholarship/award scheme. And is deliberating if I should time it at the end of my secondment, and then go for FHQ thereafter. Which would be better? Tbh, I am still exploring what to study.

Here’s my career progression till date -

2019: fresh from PGDE - GEO2 C
2020: GEO3 C+
2021: GEO3 B (coordinator)
2022: GEO3 A (acting SH)
2023: GEO4 B (SH)

Would appreciate any guidance on how I should plan my career forward! Thanks :)

Unregistered 17-11-2023 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260638)
Hi all. I’m currently a KP/SH serving my secondment which will end in end 2025 (2 years time). I’ve been told by my SL that I will be going for FHQ posting at the end of the secondment stint.

I am currently also contemplating doing post-grad under the post-grad scholarship/award scheme. And is deliberating if I should time it at the end of my secondment, and then go for FHQ thereafter. Which would be better? Tbh, I am still exploring what to study.

Here’s my career progression till date -

2019: fresh from PGDE - GEO2 C
2020: GEO3 C+
2021: GEO3 B (coordinator)
2022: GEO3 A (acting SH)
2023: GEO4 B (SH)

Would appreciate any guidance on how I should plan my career forward! Thanks :)

If you are offered FHQ, go for it. During your facilitated HQ stint, you will be given stretch assignments and your career will be actively shaped for progression. That door opens for few, so I wouldn't close it if I were you.

By contrast, do you have clarity on the purpose of going for postgrad studies? It is unlikely to be of much help in terms of progression within MOE.

That said, you know your goals best, so decide based on what works for you.

Unregistered 17-11-2023 11:03 PM

If there is any MOE HR personnel here, kindly ensure that the spirit behind Eat with Family Day is understood and enacted in schools. Many teachers are resigning to become FAJT because the so-called basic care and respect in schools are really non existent.

Despite the fact that today is Eat with Family Day, the HOD still what app in the group chat at 6pm. The irony is the SLs had just reiterated the rules of communication during Contact Time. The content of the message is not important and urgent. If an email were to be sent out during the weekend and no immediate action is needed, what is the purpose of texting in a group chat? To remind passive-aggressively? The biggest joke is the HOD had never email anything after the meetings or even internal marking exercise throughout the year, and an email on the last day of the school year is that important? This HOD is also a constant MOE award winner. A sneak preview of 2024 plans and inviting suggestions/ideas from people can hold till next week. So why the need to comm in a whats app chat group. Why are these type of KPs so highly regarded and is there fairness in this system? This is also a HOD who has placed learning journey on the last day of the previous term. Well, perhaps the activity had ended at 4.30pm on a safe note but teachers on the ground really felt "squeezed" to no "juice" left. A mesaage to mention that there was no better alternative dates could be communicated at her side and this would perhaps soften people's heart. Seriously no emotional intelligence at all.

Unregistered 18-11-2023 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260679)
If there is any MOE HR personnel here, kindly ensure that the spirit behind Eat with Family Day is understood and enacted in schools. Many teachers are resigning to become FAJT because the so-called basic care and respect in schools are really non existent.

Despite the fact that today is Eat with Family Day, the HOD still what app in the group chat at 6pm. The irony is the SLs had just reiterated the rules of communication during Contact Time. The content of the message is not important and urgent. If an email were to be sent out during the weekend and no immediate action is needed, what is the purpose of texting in a group chat? To remind passive-aggressively? The biggest joke is the HOD had never email anything after the meetings or even internal marking exercise throughout the year, and an email on the last day of the school year is that important? This HOD is also a constant MOE award winner. A sneak preview of 2024 plans and inviting suggestions/ideas from people can hold till next week. So why the need to comm in a whats app chat group. Why are these type of KPs so highly regarded and is there fairness in this system? This is also a HOD who has placed learning journey on the last day of the previous term. Well, perhaps the activity had ended at 4.30pm on a safe note but teachers on the ground really felt "squeezed" to no "juice" left. A mesaage to mention that there was no better alternative dates could be communicated at her side and this would perhaps soften people's heart. Seriously no emotional intelligence at all.

Have you feedbacked to your school leaders?

Unregistered 18-11-2023 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260693)
Have you feedbacked to your school leaders?

im quite curious as to whether feedback is really effectively acted upon by KPs and SLs in most schools, or if feedback is just being collected just for the sake for showing that "work is being done" haha

and if SLs have the same work style, or brush this off as a trivial matter, or just wish to cover this person...would the feedback even be useful?