Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 10-09-2021 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puzzled (Post 182313)
I am 35 this year, appointed HOD for 3 years. Wondering how to bring up the topic to have a sensing of my runway towards becoming a VPz

Speak to your RO (I assume your VP) and be frank about our aspirations to be on the leadership track.

Not all HOD wants to go further and SLs may not ask you/assume you are happy being HOD. Luck plays a role as well, especially if you are out-shadowed by high performing colleagues, as SLs and Supt's attention will likely be on recommending that person first.

Also, be prepared to take on at least 2 different portfolios so you can say that you have a more macro perspective of matters, not just confined to your portfolio.

I would consider asking what are your areas of growth, as well as what additional exposure he/she thinks you will be good for, and try to manage work or projects beyond your current portfolio.

That would help speed things up a bit. At the end of the day, CEP matters more than performance grade when it comes to advancement beyond.

There is also a specific archtype they look for when they want to recommend for leadership roles beyond HOD.

Unregistered 10-09-2021 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182424)
how much is SEP quantum? realised got odd figure increase from the $500 drawn in previous September.

Check your pay advice clearly, not your bank balance.
It should be either $500 or $700(10 years of service and more).

I also do not think this is CPF deductible.

If the amount is weird, consider checking with HR since they just recently upgrade pac@gov

Unregistered 11-09-2021 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182600)
Check your pay advice clearly, not your bank balance.
It should be either $500 or $700(10 years of service and more).

I also do not think this is CPF deductible.

If the amount is weird, consider checking with HR since they just recently upgrade pac@gov

Yes check pay advice and yes it is CPF deductible.

Unregistered 11-09-2021 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by just a cher (Post 182536)
Seems like many people always ask about this. I only have 2nd lower from NIE, bachelor degree, no NS, no scholarship or TA

I got curious about my own ‘progression’ and went to check my emails for promotion year, grade, pay, PB grade & number of months. Missing info for first 2 years as there’s no email… maybe they didn’t use to email us? Not sure. Prior to this compilation, I don’t know my PB or pay ‘cause I don’t keep track (lol the type who just spend and save and live life as it is).

Year on year - GEO (PB, months) [other info]
( $xxxx is the pay in October of that year)

GEO 1.1 (joined in June)
GEO 1.1
GEO 1A1 $42xx (B 2.25) [batch promo]
GEO 1A1/3 $43xx -> $45xx wef Oct (C+ 2.2)
GEO 4 $50xx (B 2.4) [promo] [Connect Plan Y4 payout]
GEO 4 $52xx (C 1.5)
GEO 4 $54xx (C 1.5)
GEO 4 $56xx (C+ 2) [NPL] [Connect Plan Y7 payout]
GEO 4 $57xx (C 1.5)
GEO 4 ST $58xx (B 2.6)
GEO 4

Should be average. Hav friends faster & also have friends slower. Some still at GEO 3, some promoted to GEO 4 1 y earlier than me, some promoted to GEO 4 a few years Slower.

Most probably I will retire at SEO 1 (since I am a ST). Thought I’d be at GEO 4 for a long time until 40s to get GEO 5 (then just HOT lor), but got recommended to take up a ST position.

Leaving here for reference.

I think this is fairly accurate.

Not "10k after 7-8 years of teaching is the norm" kind of bullcrap some people like to spin online.

That being said, your rate of promotion and career path is already quite fast, considering u hit geo 4 after 4 years. Your geo 5 should be coming soon in a few years time.

I supposed u joined in 2010? I know of colleagues who joined in 2010 already at seo1 or geo5 but yours isn't too bad either.

I joined in 2011 but still stuck at geo3. Thinking of leaving end of this year.

Unregistered 11-09-2021 03:39 PM

Hi all, if I join a new school in mid next year, will my ranking for next year be determined by my current school or my new school? How will it be determined since my work for next year is split across two halves.

Unregistered 11-09-2021 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182676)
Hi all, if I join a new school in mid next year, will my ranking for next year be determined by my current school or my new school? How will it be determined since my work for next year is split across two halves.

Current school will share information (perhaps even make a recommendation), but new school will make the decision.

Unregistered 11-09-2021 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182696)
Current school will share information (perhaps even make a recommendation), but new school will make the decision.

Most likely will get default C grade unless you’ve made an impact at the national level/cluster level/zonal level

Unregistered 11-09-2021 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182696)

Likely a default C, whether they choose to rank you or choose not to.

Unregistered 12-09-2021 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182643)
I think this is fairly accurate.

Not "10k after 7-8 years of teaching is the norm" kind of bullcrap some people like to spin online.

That being said, your rate of promotion and career path is already quite fast, considering u hit geo 4 after 4 years. Your geo 5 should be coming soon in a few years time.

I supposed u joined in 2010? I know of colleagues who joined in 2010 already at seo1 or geo5 but yours isn't too bad either.

Is it because you are diploma holder? Or perhaps have taken NPL before?

ts-indepsch 12-09-2021 02:48 AM

Performance Ranking in Indep Sch

Hi all,
I am a TS holder who is posted to an indep sch after PGDE. Can anyone enlighten me regarding performance ranking in indep sch? I'm also curious about how I can progress up the leadership track and when should I pursue my masters or go HQ for exposure.

I would like to hear from all the seniors who have been through similar circumstances and is willing to share, thanks in advance! :)

Unregistered 12-09-2021 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ts-indepsch (Post 182737)
Hi all,
I am a TS holder who is posted to an indep sch after PGDE. Can anyone enlighten me regarding performance ranking in indep sch? I'm also curious about how I can progress up the leadership track and when should I pursue my masters or go HQ for exposure.

I would like to hear from all the seniors who have been through similar circumstances and is willing to share, thanks in advance! :)

Congrats on your graduation from NIE. Welcome to the real world of work where qualifications and average tier scholarships (ie your TS) are a dime in the dozen. There are several hundred scholarships given out a year and only so few leadership positions available in any given year. You just have to accept the reality before you can do something about it.

Independent schools are honestly not a good place for a newcomer to start, if you desire exposure and accelerated progression. Even if you’re exceedingly capable, you have to outperform many more people to gain recognition. Performance ranking is a process where you’ll be rated against people in the same subgrade as you. For new teachers like yourself, it shouldn’t be too hard to shine because the pool of lower subgrades is smaller. But as you climb, it gets harder to shine.

My best advice for progression on the leadership track is to master your bread and butter - teach well. Master your content. Instill confidence in the leaders that your pedagogy is sound so that you can be trusted with more school-wide/level-wide scale projects. Realistically you may have to wait for several years in your independent school before being considered for a low level middle manager position. If not, apply for a HQ posting after you hit the requisite subgrade, finish your posting, then apply for a low level middle manager position at another school.

Ability, aspiration, and chance. You need all three. If the school doesn’t offer you the chance because of the scarcity in positions, then leave for another environment. There are always positions - just whether you are willing to travel and endure the inconvenience.

Good luck :)

Unregistered 12-09-2021 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182643)

Did you get any grades of C- and below since 2011?

Unregistered 12-09-2021 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182731)
Is it because you are diploma holder? Or perhaps have taken NPL before?

i was a dip ed holder. But i took part time degree and was emplaced later on.

Nope never took npl before.

even my colleagues who took npl and maternity leave twice before and are still dip ed holders all got promoted before me.

Unregistered 12-09-2021 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182801)

Nope. Lowest was C grade. Was in charge of school wide events before and did cluster sharing and national wide sharing before.

I think my cep is really really low, maybe a max of geo4 at most. The only reason i can think is i don't know how to wayang and don't know how to suck up.

Nvm, i have more or less decided to leave.

Unregistered 12-09-2021 06:25 PM

To be honest, it is okay to always look for alternatives if we cannot fit in :) It's kinda pointless if an individual is burning out and getting overly stressed from the career itself. Our mental and physical well-being still matters the most :)

I do have friends who have left and are much happier where they are now :)

All the best and remember to chase your dreams okay! :)

Unregistered 12-09-2021 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182801)

Nope. Never had C

Even my colleague who had C- before also got promoted faster than me. Cuz the new upper management likes her and want to push her for st or sh role.

Unregistered 12-09-2021 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182808)
To be honest, it is okay to always look for alternatives if we cannot fit in :) It's kinda pointless if an individual is burning out and getting overly stressed from the career itself. Our mental and physical well-being still matters the most :)

I do have friends who have left and are much happier where they are now :)

All the best and remember to chase your dreams okay! :)

care to share what your friends did after they left teaching service? thanks

Unregistered 12-09-2021 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182807)
Nope. Lowest was C grade. Was in charge of school wide events before and did cluster sharing and national wide sharing before.

I think my cep is really really low, maybe a max of geo4 at most. The only reason i can think is i don't know how to wayang and don't know how to suck up.

Nvm, i have more or less decided to leave.

Lowest CEP is P8 GEO 5. Maybe you should speak to your RO to understand more.

Unregistered 12-09-2021 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182805)
i was a dip ed holder. But i took part time degree and was emplaced later on.

Nope never took npl before.

even my colleagues who took npl and maternity leave twice before and are still dip ed holders all got promoted before me.

Your first few years as a dip holder would result in slower progression than those with degrees. However, if your progression is slower than those with diploma (note its diploma and not those with post grad diploma - PDGE), then it would be very strange. Perhaps you should have a word with your RO.

Unregistered 12-09-2021 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182812)
Lowest CEP is P8 GEO 5. Maybe you should speak to your RO to understand more.

Would this CEP apply for a teacher who joined the service when he is in his early 50s (mid-career)?

Unregistered 13-09-2021 09:48 AM

Connect plan questions

Hi all,
Just wondering how the connect plan payout will be done. I heard its not paid fully?
Is it paid directly to our registered bank accounts together with that month’s salary?

Unregistered 13-09-2021 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182839)
Would this CEP apply for a teacher who joined the service when he is in his early 50s (mid-career)?

Mid-career at 50+? Wah

Unregistered 13-09-2021 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by just a cher (Post 182536)
Seems like many people always ask about this. I only have 2nd lower from NIE, bachelor degree, no NS, no scholarship or TA

I got curious about my own ‘progression’ and went to check my emails for promotion year, grade, pay, PB grade & number of months. Missing info for first 2 years as there’s no email… maybe they didn’t use to email us? Not sure. Prior to this compilation, I don’t know my PB or pay ‘cause I don’t keep track (lol the type who just spend and save and live life as it is).

Year on year - GEO (PB, months) [other info]
( $xxxx is the pay in October of that year)

GEO 1.1 (joined in June)
GEO 1.1
GEO 1A1 $42xx (B 2.25) [batch promo]
GEO 1A1/3 $43xx -> $45xx wef Oct (C+ 2.2)
GEO 4 $50xx (B 2.4) [promo] [Connect Plan Y4 payout]
GEO 4 $52xx (C 1.5)
GEO 4 $54xx (C 1.5)
GEO 4 $56xx (C+ 2) [NPL] [Connect Plan Y7 payout]
GEO 4 $57xx (C 1.5)
GEO 4 ST $58xx (B 2.6)
GEO 4

Should be average. Hav friends faster & also have friends slower. Some still at GEO 3, some promoted to GEO 4 1 y earlier than me, some promoted to GEO 4 a few years Slower.

Most probably I will retire at SEO 1 (since I am a ST). Thought I’d be at GEO 4 for a long time until 40s to get GEO 5 (then just HOT lor), but got recommended to take up a ST position.

Leaving here for reference.

Likely to move to GEO 5 next year

Unregistered 14-09-2021 08:24 AM

Quote:

Yes, CEP will apply and HR will assess your current subgrade by estimating your remaining runway before retirement.

Also, to answer an earlier question, P8 (GEO5) is the lowest CEP one can get. That said, it also means reaching GEO5 before retirement, which is why you may still be at GEO3/4 after many years. For those that reached GEO5 relatively early (within first 8-10 years), that is because the school likely raised your CEP to P7 (SEO1). This coupled with your performance grade will determine will determine how early you eventually reach your end-grade of GEO5.

I think diploma vs degree plays a part too, but less so these days due to a shift in the mindset of public service.

Would also like to point out that ultimately, CEP determines your rate of promotion (with consideration to performance grade), not performance grade. A dedicated and capable officer can get C+ and B each year but have a CEP of P8 or P7. When selecting MMs, they need to be good people manager (positive influence), ability to lead and also good situational awareness.
Of course, they are expected to have certain baseline pedagogical skills still.

There are some teachers that are really good but are either contented as HOT, or just not careful with how they nuance things or cannot speak well. I know a really dedicated science teacher who applied for a HOD position in another school, but he is not confident to speak up in front of all teachers and dare not raise his views in groups.

Last, luck always play a role when it comes to promotion. Are you in a school where there are many bright stars shining? P (and Supt) would likely highlight a few names to HR, not give a long laundry list. I was in a school that had two overseas Teaching Scholars (HR would highlight them and school is expected to provide them opportunities for growth) and we are part of a batch of more than 15 teachers entering the school in the same year. Things really got a lot better for me when I went for my next posting. A chance of environment can help, which is why many teachers I know would choose to look at posting somewhere else (even HQ). It also broadens your perspectives, which is useful when considering someone to take up larger portfolios.

That said, if you are not happy, do speak to your RO and SLs candidly about what your AFIs are at the very least. Our AFIs are usually our blind spots. That said, nth stopping you from finding success outside of MOE. I am however always sad to lose good teachers/colleagues to the private sector, or other ministries.

Best of luck.

Unregistered 14-09-2021 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182874)
Hi all,
Just wondering how the connect plan payout will be done. I heard its not paid fully?
Is it paid directly to our registered bank accounts together with that month’s salary?

Yes, they put in an amount each year, and periodic withdrawals are done at key milestones. The "jar" will not be emptied. More info available on HR as they do not want this info overly public.

The withdrawal amounts are the largest in the first few withdrawals and last few.

It is paid to your account in Dec on a separate occasion from your salary.

Unregistered 14-09-2021 05:03 PM

Back to the same school

Hello all,

Just wondering if there are any teachers who choose to go back to the same school after an open posting stint (to another school) and if there is any change in the career progression thereafter?

Thanks!

Unregistered 14-09-2021 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 183066)
Hello all,

Just wondering if there are any teachers who choose to go back to the same school after an open posting stint (to another school) and if there is any change in the career progression thereafter?

Thanks!

Why would you want to do so?

Unregistered 14-09-2021 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 183082)
Why would you want to do so?

It still depends on performance. I don’t think it limits the progression.

Unregistered 15-09-2021 01:21 AM

Quote:

just be contended to teach. anything more is bonus.

Unregistered 15-09-2021 07:56 PM

Hi I would like to check if anyone knows anyone who had gone through the facilitated posting to HQ before? May I check how the process is like?

1. Do they inform you and you have to leave the very next month?

2. Do you get to choose your HQ posting or was it decided for you?

TIA!

Unregistered 16-09-2021 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 183199)
Hi I would like to check if anyone knows anyone who had gone through the facilitated posting to HQ before? May I check how the process is like?

1. Do they inform you and you have to leave the very next month?

2. Do you get to choose your HQ posting or was it decided for you?

TIA!

There will be an info session ("tea session") early in the year. Recently it has been on Zoom for obvious reasons. The invitations are sent very early in the year, and actual info/tea sessions are around Feb/March. Afterwhich it will work somewhat similarly to open posting - you will be invited to view the list of available positions and rank your preferences. If they are interested to take you, they will reach out to you for interviews, and you will get offer(s) which you can choose to accept or not. The whole fHQ posting exercise should end by mid-year, and the posting is effective the following calendar year (i.e. if you go through the fHQ process this year, you'll move over in Jan 2022).

You'll know if you are on track for this. It is triggered by either a certain scholar status (usually TS(O) and above), or having at least a certain CEP while under a certain age.

Unregistered 16-09-2021 10:20 PM

Could I ask what CEP is needed? is P7 enough? Or must be P6 at least?

Unregistered 17-09-2021 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 183311)

Not too sure, since HR is not fully transparent about it. We believe that the goalposts are not fixed. But it definitely needs to be outstanding, not just slightly above average.

Unregistered 17-09-2021 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 183347)
Not too sure, since HR is not fully transparent about it. We believe that the goalposts are not fixed. But it definitely needs to be outstanding, not just slightly above average.

Senior management will know (SLs etc), but it's not appropriate for them to say. Anyway, the more "reliable" factor is scholar status haha. Overseas scholars, Education Merit Scholars, PSC (Teaching) scholars will go through facilitated HQ posting to enter HQ around their 3rd to 5th year of service.

For the rest, it will depend on how far ahead of the curve you are.

Unregistered 17-09-2021 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 183311)

Don't peg your perceived career prospects or even self-worth to things like FHQ, FLP, etc. If you get the privilege of being on those tracks, great. If you don't, know that there are still many other doors open for a fulfilling career (including good salary progression). You can still go to HQ through Open Posting, and build your networks while there. You can still go to a different school where the environment better recognises and supports your aspirations, and has vacancies for you to move up the ladder. It's not healthy to keep comparing to others who have scholar privileges or given a red carpet to the fast track - you can't change it anyway. The system is not 100% fair, and it can never possibly be, but it is kind to people who are kind to themselves.

Unregistered 18-09-2021 03:04 PM

Just seeking advice on whether I should stay in current school or move on.
Being in the current school for 3 years as SH and will take on HOD-ship next year, taking over from someone who left the school. Went through HQ for 3 years through open posting before joining current school.
The previous HOD who left and who is my RO told me that my CEP has always been 'good and healthy' and told me to continue to stay on if I wish to move up the leadership ladder.
However, I've been with the school for some time now. Wouldn't that limit my progression?
Not sure if I should continue on or move to other schools to learn new things.

Unregistered 18-09-2021 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 183486)
Being in the current school for 3 years as SH and will take on HOD-ship next year, taking over from someone who left the school. Went through HQ for 3 years through open posting before joining current school.
The previous HOD who left and who is my RO told me that my CEP has always been 'good and healthy' and told me to continue to stay on if I wish to move up the leadership ladder.
However, I've been with the school for some time now. Wouldn't that limit my progression?

Do you feel like you are still learning new things in your current school? Are you interested in the new HOD portfolio that is offered to you? If so, you should stay on and complete at least your 2 years as a HOD, especially since the vacancy is open. Going elsewhere may not guarantee that a HOD or equivalent position is vacant for you, and as a result you may be stuck at your current level if you forgo this opportunity in your current school. Anyway, with a new environment always comes new uncertainties (for better or for worse).

Unregistered 18-09-2021 08:53 PM

Quote:

Leave if you have doubts. Learn elsewhere and take up opportunities elsewhere.

Unregistered 20-09-2021 05:16 PM

Quote:

I would say move on with your HOD-ship next year. Keep to the portfolio for 3 years then apply for open posting elsewhere if you want to thereafter.

Unregistered 20-09-2021 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 183654)
I would say move on with your HOD-ship next year. Keep to the portfolio for 3 years then apply for open posting elsewhere if you want to thereafter.

Thanks for the advice. Thinking possibly of that too.
My former RO seems to hint to me that the school is grooming me further, but I'm not sure true or not and whether it is possible with saturation everywhere.