Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 20-09-2021 09:05 PM

3 years as SH followed by a (confirmed?) HOD position is hardly poor progression. Think it's also easier to perform in the next few years (assuming you've already been doing well) without having to adapt to a new environment, new processes, new ppl, etc.

Unless you really want out for some reason (e.g. push factors, or want to explore other portfolio), I don't see any real reason to switch right now?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 183668)
Thanks for the advice. Thinking possibly of that too.
My former RO seems to hint to me that the school is grooming me further, but I'm not sure true or not and whether it is possible with saturation everywhere.

Unregistered 21-09-2021 06:15 PM

Thank you folks for all the advice!
Looks like most advice is to stay on first for some time first!

Unregistered 21-09-2021 10:42 PM

Hi, just checking if there are any mid career switch to MOE teacher after like close to 10 years in industry? I am wondering what is the untrained teaching stint pay and the NIE pay like. Is there CPF and bonus as well? And also after NIE, which grade and roughly how much is the salary range? (I have a masters degree)

Also, I heard that untrained teaching stint could be a year instead of half a year like what was stated in the website. Is that common?

I really want to try teaching but I’m holding back a little because of the pay drop especially during the untrained teaching stint and also in NIE. And also a little afraid to go out of industry and if I cannot make it for teaching, I can’t go back anymore.

Unregistered 22-09-2021 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 183762)
Hi, just checking if there are any mid career switch to MOE teacher after like close to 10 years in industry? I am wondering what is the untrained teaching stint pay and the NIE pay like. Is there CPF and bonus as well? And also after NIE, which grade and roughly how much is the salary range? (I have a masters degree)

Also, I heard that untrained teaching stint could be a year instead of half a year like what was stated in the website. Is that common?

I really want to try teaching but I’m holding back a little because of the pay drop especially during the untrained teaching stint and also in NIE. And also a little afraid to go out of industry and if I cannot make it for teaching, I can’t go back anymore.

doubt u can get into teaching easily given that there are too many extra teachers

Unregistered 22-09-2021 08:58 AM

I applied during the June 2021 application and I am going for the language proficiency test soon. I would guess I’m quite close to it.

Unregistered 22-09-2021 11:07 PM

Try to give it a good thought. It isn't easy being a teacher nowadays. Work really never ends and a burn out is easy. Our mental well-being comes after the students'.

What is the pull factor from your current employment to take up teaching? And what is your expected salary? pay won't be a lot for mid career switchers doing the NIE stint. Doesn't matter whichever masters degree you have got because that is not taken into consideration for promotion once you are a full fledged teacher. However, first promotion to the next grade would be faster for mid career switchers. I have friends who did mid career switch from pte sector. Is drawing 5K plus after 6 years of service? If that's not okay for you, don't leave your current employment.

Ex Teacher 23-09-2021 08:35 AM

Sincerely Seeking Advice

Started career as a full time MOE teacher. More than 10 years experience. Thought grass was greener on the other side and joined private sector for a good 5 years. Didn't quite work out and returned to teaching as a flexi adjunct role since 2016. Enjoy teaching but not as stable as full time role. Teacher manpower needs changes means I am in my 6th school as FAJT. Always remaining positive since age is close to 50 liao. No career progression and no bonus at all in my current scheme. But at least some income plus CPF. Some ask why not return to full time? Likely not since my age is against me and I don't want the disappointment of applying and getting rejected. Stay status quo and just enjoy the interaction with students and share my knowledge and experience in education with them to those who appreciate it. Reading some of your comments who are progressing well in teaching and slated to be future SLs makes me ponder what could have been if I stayed on all these years without venturing to private sector. Things might have been different :)

Unregistered 23-09-2021 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 183893)
Try to give it a good thought. It isn't easy being a teacher nowadays. Work really never ends and a burn out is easy. Our mental well-being comes after the students'.

What is the pull factor from your current employment to take up teaching? And what is your expected salary? pay won't be a lot for mid career switchers doing the NIE stint. Doesn't matter whichever masters degree you have got because that is not taken into consideration for promotion once you are a full fledged teacher. However, first promotion to the next grade would be faster for mid career switchers. I have friends who did mid career switch from pte sector. Is drawing 5K plus after 6 years of service? If that's not okay for you, don't leave your current employment.

The pull factor is me wanting to be a teacher since I graduated almost 10 years ago? But I wanted to try other jobs first instead of going to be a teacher forever. But looking at the reviews of being a teacher really scares me. And I didn’t realise the big pay drop then.

I heard that mid career teacher may start off with a pay with more than 5k? I’m looking at more than 5k after I graduate from NIE. But I didn’t expect your friend to be receiving 5k only after 6 years. Probably because he/she switched into teaching much earlier? How many years of private sector experience does he/she have?

Unregistered 23-09-2021 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ex Teacher (Post 183921)
Started career as a full time MOE teacher. More than 10 years experience. Thought grass was greener on the other side and joined private sector for a good 5 years. Didn't quite work out and returned to teaching as a flexi adjunct role since 2016. Enjoy teaching but not as stable as full time role. Teacher manpower needs changes means I am in my 6th school as FAJT. Always remaining positive since age is close to 50 liao. No career progression and no bonus at all in my current scheme. But at least some income plus CPF. Some ask why not return to full time? Likely not since my age is against me and I don't want the disappointment of applying and getting rejected. Stay status quo and just enjoy the interaction with students and share my knowledge and experience in education with them to those who appreciate it. Reading some of your comments who are progressing well in teaching and slated to be future SLs makes me ponder what could have been if I stayed on all these years without venturing to private sector. Things might have been different :)

I’m not a teacher, but I would say you should probably still try? Stay optimistic and just try? U still have at least 15 years to retirement which is pretty long! But of course, being a full time teacher means that you have to definitely spend much more time at work.

Just curious, why didn’t the private industry suits you? I thought being a teacher works very very very long hours. And hence anything other than being a teacher would be much better than a Teacher’s life.

Unregistered 25-09-2021 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 183762)

Do you have the passion and are you willing to use your rest time (lunch time, weekends, after school hours) to help students? If yes, go for it.

Unregistered 25-09-2021 01:14 PM

Could anyone on ranking panel share the criteria used to determine whether to raise or lower one's CEP? Does getting a string of poor/great grades allow one's CEP to be raised/lowered? And, how many levels could CEP be raised by in one year?

Unregistered 25-09-2021 02:37 PM

Very broadly - whether the officer has been observed to showcase traits of the target grade (e.g. SEO1, SEO2…).

I've not seen it increase by more than one level in a year; I've observed it being raised twice in a row for a high-performing officer, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 184137)
Could anyone on ranking panel share the criteria used to determine whether to raise or lower one's CEP? Does getting a string of poor/great grades allow one's CEP to be raised/lowered? And, how many levels could CEP be raised by in one year?

Unregistered 25-09-2021 08:49 PM

Thaks for all the comments! I always wanted to go into teaching after I gain some experience in industry! Reason, because I love to teach? At least that what I think. I wouldn’t know for sure whether I will survive in a real school environment also.

I heard that mid career switch into teacher would be at least getting 5k? If you friend is getting 5k only 6 years after mid career switch, then maybe the length in industry is not long enough? Or maybe the example I heard was an individual case?

Unregistered 26-09-2021 01:55 AM

NPL - further studies while accompanying spouse overseas

I’m sure you’re receive your PB. I did. But, it’s pro-rated. Because, I only worked for 6 months and I got my PB pro-rated.

I am facing a big dilemma. I applied to do my masters in UK and to my surprise, I was offered a place.

The problem is I am currently on NPL for accompanying my spouse. I would like to study part/time because I’m really bored. Lol.

Anyone emailed MOE HR to ask (I did and awaiting their reply) or didn’t ask and just did silently ?

Unregistered 26-09-2021 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 184147)
Very broadly - whether the officer has been observed to showcase traits of the target grade (e.g. SEO1, SEO2…).

I've not seen it increase by more than one level in a year; I've observed it being raised twice in a row for a high-performing officer, though.

Oh i see. Currently am a GEO5 taking on a HOD role this year. Was an SH last year.
Will the CEP change in this case?

Unregistered 26-09-2021 08:24 AM

Don't really have sufficient data to tell (and ultimately, it's your SLs' decision). If you've been officially appointed as HOD, your CEP is at least at SEO2 level.

Whether it moves up beyond that would depend on your performance in the HOD role (and SLs' assessment). If you've been part of the ranking panel, you should have some understanding of how this works.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 184252)
Oh i see. Currently am a GEO5 taking on a HOD role this year. Was an SH last year.
Will the CEP change in this case?

Unregistered 27-09-2021 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 184257)
Don't really have sufficient data to tell (and ultimately, it's your SLs' decision). If you've been officially appointed as HOD, your CEP is at least at SEO2 level.

Whether it moves up beyond that would depend on your performance in the HOD role (and SLs' assessment). If you've been part of the ranking panel, you should have some understanding of how this works.

When is an officer’s cep first assessed? Is it immediately after graduating from NIE? Or will they only consider the year after

Unregistered 27-09-2021 12:05 PM

It's assessed every year. But there is a default starting grade.

In practice, it's unlikely to get adjusted until at least 1-2 years into the job?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 184363)
When is an officer’s cep first assessed? Is it immediately after graduating from NIE? Or will they only consider the year after

Unregistered 27-09-2021 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 184363)

Everyone starts with a default CEP grade (starting point may differ for scholars).

CEP is discussed every year, but adjustments are usually only made when some level of consistency is seen (either 2 - 3 years of above avg or below average performance). Don't expect your CEP to be adjusted from getting a B grade in 1 year.

Adjustment is also dependent on the number of years of service left.

There may be some level of subjectivity based on the school (SSC that is more conservative or more generous), but since the decision involves the Supt, you can also expect some sort of standardisation in practice across schools.

Unregistered 28-09-2021 10:30 PM

Ranking panel

Hello, may i know who forms the ranking panel in schools? All KPs?

Unregistered 29-09-2021 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 184551)

& of course SLs

Unregistered 29-09-2021 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 184551)

SLs + KPs
For KPs- practices vary from school to school. Some schools only involve HODs, as the panel will become very big if it includes SHs.
Some schools involve all KPs, including SHs.

Unregistered 30-09-2021 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 184378)
Everyone starts with a default CEP grade (starting point may differ for scholars).

CEP is discussed every year, but adjustments are usually only made when some level of consistency is seen (either 2 - 3 years of above avg or below average performance). Don't expect your CEP to be adjusted from getting a B grade in 1 year.

Adjustment is also dependent on the number of years of service left.

There may be some level of subjectivity based on the school (SSC that is more conservative or more generous), but since the decision involves the Supt, you can also expect some sort of standardisation in practice across schools.

cep and annual performance is not 1-1 correlated

Unregistered 01-10-2021 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 183394)
Don't peg your perceived career prospects or even self-worth to things like FHQ, FLP, etc. If you get the privilege of being on those tracks, great. If you don't, know that there are still many other doors open for a fulfilling career (including good salary progression). You can still go to HQ through Open Posting, and build your networks while there. You can still go to a different school where the environment better recognises and supports your aspirations, and has vacancies for you to move up the ladder. It's not healthy to keep comparing to others who have scholar privileges or given a red carpet to the fast track - you can't change it anyway. The system is not 100% fair, and it can never possibly be, but it is kind to people who are kind to themselves.

Not forgetting those who deprive deserving officers of a hq position, shifted out from schools not because of their suitability but to avoid controversy in a school setting arising from their behaviour, "inclinations", or transgressions. Very sad to see a system that is so forgiving and generous to the undeserving, but takes genuinely hardworking and, perhaps, under-the-radar officers for granted.

Unregistered 01-10-2021 04:13 PM

What kind of committee work / CCA is considered to be of high impact and good for portfolio?

Unregistered 02-10-2021 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 184898)
What kind of committee work / CCA is considered to be of high impact and good for portfolio?

Environment related committee and cca

Unregistered 02-10-2021 07:58 PM

Quote:

student leadership? will be involved in speech day, orientation camps etc

Unregistered 04-10-2021 08:02 PM

How do you get into the FLP? What do people on the FLP have access to?

Unregistered 05-10-2021 10:32 AM

Anyone knows of a whistle-blowing platform for MOE staff? Desperate and frustrated staff here

Unregistered 05-10-2021 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185283)
Anyone knows of a whistle-blowing platform for MOE staff? Desperate and frustrated staff here

How serious is this matter? My suggestion is always to take it up with your school leaders first if that is an option that you have not explored.

Unregistered 05-10-2021 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185233)
How do you get into the FLP? What do people on the FLP have access to?

You will be identified if you are eligible, and I believe the criteria has got to do with age and CEP. (e.g. reaching a certain CEP before 35 years old).

Not a programme you can volunteer to sign up for, or specifically aim towards.

You will be given additional projects to do and more opportunities to grow.

Unregistered 05-10-2021 05:51 PM

Quote:

Not so much about which committee but what you impact you have in that committee or CCA.

A "good" committee with a lot of members also meant the work is so distributed out, you may just be a member riding on the achievements.

You should consider a committee or CCA that requires manpower, and take the initiative to lead and value add. Don't join saturated committees or CCAs.

Unregistered 05-10-2021 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185329)
How serious is this matter? My suggestion is always to take it up with your school leaders first if that is an option that you have not explored.

Alternatively, search for your superintendent email and email sup. Usually Sup will route it back to SLs but if it’s an issue with SLs, sup will do the investigation.

Ex Teacher 05-10-2021 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 183931)
I’m not a teacher, but I would say you should probably still try? Stay optimistic and just try? U still have at least 15 years to retirement which is pretty long! But of course, being a full time teacher means that you have to definitely spend much more time at work.

Just curious, why didn’t the private industry suits you? I thought being a teacher works very very very long hours. And hence anything other than being a teacher would be much better than a Teacher’s life.

Perhaps at this stage in my life,I am not scrambling for promotions and positions. Able to play a small part in education and nurturing my students gives me some level of satisfaction. Combination of flexi teaching and tutoring helps me to exceed my previous GEO 5 pay. But longer hours officially. No complaints cos it was a choice. Private sectior is good but doesn't suit me culturally and personality wise. Teachers here,I salute every single one of u. Promotion and progression is important but please do not neglect the students under your care and the key reason u chose teaching in the first place:)

Unregistered 06-10-2021 07:38 PM

Just curious about the ranking process… anyone wouldn’t mind sharing their experience ranking staff? Always wondered what it’s like? I imagine that there will be different KPs speaking up for the teacher and sometime there will be disagreements. Is it like that? Haha.

Unregistered 07-10-2021 06:43 PM

Does a C- means no promotion?

Unregistered 07-10-2021 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185283)

can try calling Singapore Teachers' Union

Unregistered 07-10-2021 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185594)
Does a C- means no promotion?

Yes. Usually no promotion for 3 years :(
But there is a small PB and MI

Unregistered 08-10-2021 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185604)
Yes. Usually no promotion for 3 years :(
But there is a small PB and MI

From 2021, C- also means no connect plan deposit for that year.

Unregistered 08-10-2021 11:52 AM

Hello, I am new to this forum.

Just out of curiosity, for those who have been under contract teaching, do you get any PB or increment before heading to NIE? TIA.