Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 10-12-2019 02:05 PM

It's a standard payout - exact figures are available on HR Online, I believe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 127033)
Hi, just wondering how much will we get for the connect plan bonus for the first time (4 year). I heard from colleagues that we will only get around 7K to 8K? how was the payout last year?

lost_sheep 10-12-2019 07:13 PM

Hi, any teachers have applied for MX positions and switched?

What MX level would GEO5 map into? 11A or 11?

thanks!

Unregistered 11-12-2019 01:52 PM

When will connect plan be paid this December?

Unregistered 11-12-2019 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 127028)
Hi, to be offered $4340...is it based on interview performance? Or yrs of work experience or qualifications eg honours, masters?

I know of someone with no teaching exp, non edu related degree, no honours or masters, 15 yrs working in IT, some yrs as stay at home mum before she ventured into pgde n got offered$4340.

working experience + age

Unregistered 11-12-2019 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lost_sheep (Post 127057)
Hi, any teachers have applied for MX positions and switched?

What MX level would GEO5 map into? 11A or 11?

thanks!

Maps to mx11

tompang 12-12-2019 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 127084)
Maps to mx11

Tompang. Do u know SEO1 maps to MX11 or MX11A?

Same situation....thinking of moving...but...

Unregistered 16-12-2019 06:19 PM

Salary for kindergarten training Programme

Is an offer of 2.9K low for teachers enrolled in this prorgamme?
I am currently working in MNC, drawing abt 5K per month

Unregistered 16-12-2019 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 127082)
When will connect plan be paid this December?

should be 19 dec

Unregistered 16-12-2019 08:21 PM

Hi will NIE take medical graduate as teachers? What kind of teaching career will medical graduates be able to do and at what level? Thank you so much. I am currently working in a restructured hospital working 80 hours a pay getting paid very little when compared to the amount of effort I'm putting in. I don't think being a doctor is what I will like to do in the future and something like teaching might be slightly better. What is the starting pay like as a teacher and how many hours a week I can expect to be working?

Unregistered 17-12-2019 05:05 AM

Connect

Anyone who is receiving connect plan this year? Have you received the notice on Pac@Gov? It’s the 17th today but mine is still not updated

Unregistered 17-12-2019 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 127244)
Anyone who is receiving connect plan this year? Have you received the notice on Pac@Gov? It’s the 17th today but mine is still not updated

I got the email at 11:05am today. Payout date is 19 Dec.

Unregistered 17-12-2019 01:39 PM

Postgraduate

Hi all, will a teacher’s CEP increases if he/she has postgraduate qualifications?

Unregistered 17-12-2019 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 127262)
Hi all, will a teacher’s CEP increases if he/she has postgraduate qualifications?

No.

But if your postgraduate studies is sponsored by moe aka post-graduate scholarship and etc.. Then yes..

Masters are nothing unless moe sent you for it.

Unregistered 24-12-2019 08:32 PM

Does anyone know what the requirements are to go for full-time Masters (local/overseas) sponsored by MOE?

Also, what benefits are included? Thanks in advance :)

Unregistered 24-12-2019 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 127504)
Does anyone know what the requirements are to go for full-time Masters (local/overseas) sponsored by MOE?

Also, what benefits are included? Thanks in advance :)

U can check on moe intranet

Unregistered 25-12-2019 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 126800)
Left the school but still in the ministry? Apart from no promotion for 3 years, it might affect re-employment should you quit the service and decided to be flexi later on.

Most of the times, your RO would have communicated to you about the likelihood of a C- before ranking, unless your C- was only determined after things started surfacing during the ranking sessions. Nevertheless, you would know the afi and should have worked on them. So getting two consecutive C- is an indicator that you did not do things right or simply you might not be suitable for teaching. But I have seen JHs who got out of that situation after getting two C-. So not all hopes are lost.

No, my RO did not tell warn me about C- during epms session in the first few years. I have done my due diligence as a teacher and as a person. Actually I did not know that a RO should warn about C- until I transfer to another school. I did not even sign on the epms form where one gets to read RO review on appraisal form. I used to digitally sign on my epms. So ya, I was a rookie then.

just wondering if the above matter happens to anyone else, what can one do? Write to student union?

Unregistered 25-12-2019 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 127263)
No.

But if your postgraduate studies is sponsored by moe aka post-graduate scholarship and etc.. Then yes..

Masters are nothing unless moe sent you for it.

Hmmmm...i don't think your cep will be raised even if you were to get a sponsorship from the ministry to further your studies. CEP is reviewed yearly, and largely dependent on your capability to take on greater responsibilities, which is shown through your work performance and attitude.

Unregistered 25-12-2019 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 127514)
No, my RO did not tell warn me about C- during epms session in the first few years. I have done my due diligence as a teacher and as a person. Actually I did not know that a RO should warn about C- until I transfer to another school. I did not even sign on the epms form where one gets to read RO review on appraisal form. I used to digitally sign on my epms. So ya, I was a rookie then.

just wondering if the above matter happens to anyone else, what can one do? Write to student union?

Different schools practise differently.
Most schools: Your RO cannot tell you C- specifically. But you may be hinted of this grade during your communication or at work review meetings. Eg,through highlighting certain KRA areas you are lacking at, hence there are areas of improvement in those areas. Esp so for higher sub grades like geo 4 and 5.
Current work requirements are you must exceed in some areas to get a C. Meeting requirements in all areas won’t warrant you a C.

In this case, what you said as ‘doing due diligence’, is meeting basic requirements of the sub grade.

Unregistered 26-12-2019 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 127520)
Different schools practise differently.
Most schools: Your RO cannot tell you C- specifically. But you may be hinted of this grade during your communication or at work review meetings. Eg,through highlighting certain KRA areas you are lacking at, hence there are areas of improvement in those areas. Esp so for higher sub grades like geo 4 and 5.
Current work requirements are you must exceed in some areas to get a C. Meeting requirements in all areas won’t warrant you a C.

In this case, what you said as ‘doing due diligence’, is meeting basic requirements of the sub grade.

I bet to differ. Your RO SHOULD tell you your performance grade. It should not be a surprise/shock in April the following year. Hush hush practice is not preferred over transparency. There is a need to conclude the year so that better setting of expectations can be done the following year. That alos helps build trust and open communication between ROs and JHs. I am not sure about the 'most schools' that you were referring to. But I realised that times have changed, and so has the guidelines from top down. In the recent years, we have been told explicitly to share the grades with JHs during EOY review.

Unregistered 27-12-2019 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 127538)
I bet to differ. Your RO SHOULD tell you your performance grade. It should not be a surprise/shock in April the following year. Hush hush practice is not preferred over transparency. There is a need to conclude the year so that better setting of expectations can be done the following year. That alos helps build trust and open communication between ROs and JHs. I am not sure about the 'most schools' that you were referring to. But I realised that times have changed, and so has the guidelines from top down. In the recent years, we have been told explicitly to share the grades with JHs during EOY review.

Really? This is unheard of. The common practice is not to reveal the performance grades for fear that things change last minute. Please share when did you receive the guidelines to explicitly share performance grade and are you from schs or HQ?

Unregistered 27-12-2019 11:51 PM

Mid career mother tongue teacher (age 45), after pgde + practicum joined full time teacher. For next year, I have been placed as Form Teacher for P5. Though I am confident to perform well, is it norm for new trained teacher on probation to be posted as Form teacher? What does it augurs for my career?

Unregistered 28-12-2019 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 127602)
Mid career mother tongue teacher (age 45), after pgde + practicum joined full time teacher. For next year, I have been placed as Form Teacher for P5. Though I am confident to perform well, is it norm for new trained teacher on probation to be posted as Form teacher? What does it augurs for my career?

Coz ur wealth of exp, at least 20 years will put you in a good stead fo be form teacher.

I project u to be hod in 5 years and vp in 10.
U can expect to be p in 15, cluster sup in 20.
I expect u to be d in 25 and dge in 30.

Unregistered 28-12-2019 10:03 AM

Hi my husband has a engineering diploma. He has been an engineer after he graduate fr poly. And he is in his 40s now. Do u think he is too old to apply to be a teacher? How much is his expected pay?

Unregistered 28-12-2019 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 127607)
Hi my husband has a engineering diploma. He has been an engineer after he graduate fr poly. And he is in his 40s now. Do u think he is too old to apply to be a teacher? How much is his expected pay?

He can expect to get slightly more than the indicative range for GEO1 Dip
$1,800 - $2,350.

With his years of exp, probably about 2500.

Unregistered 28-12-2019 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 127608)
He can expect to get slightly more than the indicative range for GEO1 Dip
$1,800 - $2,350.

With his years of exp, probably about 2500.

Thks for your reply. So he won't get any pay when he's in NIE? And he need to be trained in NIE for 2 yrs?

Unregistered 28-12-2019 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 127610)
Thks for your reply. So he won't get any pay when he's in NIE? And he need to be trained in NIE for 2 yrs?

He will be paid while studying in NIE, but he has to serve a bond of 3 years.
Diploma in Ed - 2 years. PGDE - 16 months.

Unregistered 28-12-2019 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 127616)
He will be paid while studying in NIE, but he has to serve a bond of 3 years.
Diploma in Ed - 2 years. PGDE - 16 months.

He does not have a degree so he can only go for Diploma in Ed? Don't think he can go pdge. So during NIE, he will get abt $2000+ monthly?

Unregistered 28-12-2019 02:59 PM

He does not have a degree, only a poly diploma, so he can only go for Diploma in Ed? Don't think he can go pdge. So during NIE, he will get abt $2000+ monthly?

Unregistered 31-12-2019 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 127620)
He does not have a degree, only a poly diploma, so he can only go for Diploma in Ed? Don't think he can go pdge. So during NIE, he will get abt $2000+ monthly?

Not sure. Depends on the offer by NIE. Suggest to just go for the interview and see what the outcome is or ask during the interview.

Unregistered 31-12-2019 05:03 PM

How long does it take to reach SEO1?

Unregistered 31-12-2019 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 127695)

About 15 years for average farmer

Unregistered 31-12-2019 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 127696)
About 15 years for average farmer

What’s the fastest possible you’ve seen before to reach SEO1?

Unregistered 03-01-2020 11:18 PM

fastest seen - 8 years to SEO 1. Non scholar. Entered as fresh grad . Female

Unregistered 04-01-2020 06:51 AM

Quote:

Sorry to pop your bubble. These days, moe is highly selective. For mid careers, they only pick the cream OD the crop. Likewise for fresh grads. Long gone were the days where anyone can come in.

These days, the new teachers came from secondary schools like crescent, nyg, hci, ri to name some.

Unregistered 04-01-2020 06:52 AM

Quote:

AED is more feasible but to be honest. It's not worth it.

Unregistered 04-01-2020 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 127695)

There was a BT who once asked a smiliar question. But in the end, resigned after the bond was up. He was a scholar. Dun count your chickens before they are hatched.

Unregistered 05-01-2020 09:29 PM

is honours needed for PGDE? or can a simple degree without honours work?

Unregistered 05-01-2020 09:39 PM

FAJT Salary?

Any idea whats the salary for an FAJT? Anywhere I can look? Thanks.

Unregistered 06-01-2020 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 127834)
is honours needed for PGDE? or can a simple degree without honours work?

These days, it's all very competitive. If not for academics then maybe you are outstanding in other parts?

Very hard to get into teaching these days.

Unregistered 06-01-2020 08:01 PM

If I apply for HQ position or other secondment positions, I'd need to go through interviews with the receiving organizations right?