Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 19-08-2021 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 180428)
Questions, comments?

s://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/teaching-singapore-better-moe-teacher-091019820.html

Whoever wrote that isn't clear about how the system works. MOE pays by qualification. There is no difference in pay scale of Primary & Secondary school teachers.

In Singapore, teachers are quite highly paid. According to salary benchmarking website payscale.com, secondary school teachers receive annual salaries of $70,782, or about $5,900 a month. Primary school teachers earn just a little bit less: $68,314 a year, or about $5,700 a month.

Unregistered 19-08-2021 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 180436)
Whoever wrote that isn't clear about how the system works. MOE pays by qualification. There is no difference in pay scale of Primary & Secondary school teachers.

In Singapore, teachers are quite highly paid. According to salary benchmarking website payscale.com, secondary school teachers receive annual salaries of $70,782, or about $5,900 a month. Primary school teachers earn just a little bit less: $68,314 a year, or about $5,700 a month.

Thank you for sharing - what should have been the figures instead?

Unregistered 20-08-2021 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 180423)
Well if you feel so strongly against the system, you can leave. No one is stopping you.

Are you living in denial of the issues or do you really believe that teachers already have it good and do not deserve better?

Unregistered 20-08-2021 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 180410)
Connect plan is one of the several good things that we enjoy on this job. Yes, there are good things on this job..

... but there are also many glaring areas for improvement in how the system treats teachers. The fact that it is now hard to get in, and the fact that there are many people waiting in line to replace outgoing teachers, should NOT be used as a justification for continued subpar treatment of teachers. You as a teacher (presumably) should understand that.

Examples of stupid things we have to put up with: minimum quotas for adverse performance grades; planned deployment of more "teacher-counsellors" (I assume CARE officers?) in the wake of RV incident instead of resourcing us with real mental health clinicians and more real counsellors; more and more paperwork bloat in the name of accountability and backside covering.

Just because a job is in high demand doesn't mean that there is no room for improvement. How can teachers be telling fellow teachers to be contented and grateful with all these issues? We are better than that.

Good points raised. Though if you read the post carefully, I’m not saying that the job is perfect and that there’s no room for improvement. (i suspect we’re both on the same page). I was making a pragmatic statement that indeed those of us with a job that pays decently/well should be grateful. It’s a sentiment which most people can agree with right :)

Unregistered 20-08-2021 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 180490)
Are you living in denial of the issues or do you really believe that teachers already have it good and do not deserve better?

How do teachers deserve better?

Unregistered 20-08-2021 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 180498)
How do teachers deserve better?

not the original poster but wow are you even a teacher yourself?

Unregistered 20-08-2021 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 180341)
There was a circular sent via CES last year. Confirmed.

isn't it for D grade?

Unregistered 20-08-2021 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 180520)
isn't it for D grade?

Should be right? Especially since C- is considered a good grade

Unregistered 20-08-2021 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 180506)
not the original poster but wow are you even a teacher yourself?

Not the poster. I think he/she/it is asking “how” not “why” do teachers deserve better. Anyway, I think teachers need more space for their marking. 40 students’ essays x 15 min of marking = 600 min = 6-7 hours. Multiply by 5 classes. In any given week, you need 35 hours to mark 1 essay for 5 classes. And that’s assuming you spend 15 min. Some poorly written work needs more than that.

35 hours in a week… assuming you finish work by 5pm, head home, and start marking after dinner with family at 9pm, sleep at 11.30pm (must sleep early hor). Where got time???

Unregistered 21-08-2021 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 180520)
isn't it for D grade?

For C- and below. Updated effective for ranking from 2021 onwards

Unregistered 22-08-2021 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 180611)
Not the poster. I think he/she/it is asking “how” not “why” do teachers deserve better. Anyway, I think teachers need more space for their marking. 40 students’ essays x 15 min of marking = 600 min = 6-7 hours. Multiply by 5 classes. In any given week, you need 35 hours to mark 1 essay for 5 classes. And that’s assuming you spend 15 min. Some poorly written work needs more than that.

35 hours in a week… assuming you finish work by 5pm, head home, and start marking after dinner with family at 9pm, sleep at 11.30pm (must sleep early hor). Where got time???

How about PE teachers? Since they have no marking load, do they do other additional duties?

Unregistered 22-08-2021 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 180769)
How about PE teachers? Since they have no marking load, do they do other additional duties?

Guess who plans and executes the post-exam activities while the acad subject teachers are marking furiously?

Only one example. PE teachers generally don't slack. They are given sufficient workload to earn their pay.

Unregistered 22-08-2021 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 180783)
Guess who plans and executes the post-exam activities while the acad subject teachers are marking furiously?

Only one example. PE teachers generally don't slack. They are given sufficient workload to earn their pay.

Pe teachers also bear more risk when teaching. If students get injured… who do you think answers?

Unregistered 22-08-2021 02:32 PM

Quote:

All teachers have their own responsibilities. Silly to suggest that others are doing less just because they don't have marking, or papers to set.

Unregistered 22-08-2021 02:50 PM

Quote:

Pe teachers must remember to ask girls to do push ups so you can downblouse them

Unregistered 23-08-2021 05:05 AM

Its due time for a pay rise.

Last pay rise for these overworked underpaid teachers was 6 years ago. Think give it another 4 years, we deserve a pay rise soon yea?

Unregistered 23-08-2021 05:07 AM

Career progression

I am a TA currently in university. Was trying to plan my career progression in terms of position ibstead of rank. Do yall think it is reasonable to be a SH in 3 years, HOD in another 3 years. After 2 years of being HOD, do a HQ posting for 2 years and then be VP/P. Essentially I want to start earning 10k at SEO level within 10 years.

Unregistered 23-08-2021 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 180898)
I am a TA currently in university. Was trying to plan my career progression in terms of position ibstead of rank. Do yall think it is reasonable to be a SH in 3 years, HOD in another 3 years. After 2 years of being HOD, do a HQ posting for 2 years and then be VP/P. Essentially I want to start earning 10k at SEO level within 10 years.

Think can, have faith in you!

Unregistered 23-08-2021 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 180899)
Think can, have faith in you!

Unlikely. Luck comes into play. So many driven young people in this workforce.

Unregistered 23-08-2021 09:56 AM

Quote:

May not be very realistic given the excess surplus of teachers in the teaching service.
There are also not many leadership positions, pretty saturated.
Even normal promotion among teachers have slowed down significantly in recent years.

Teaching is really about the heart, not about money and power. If you want to be successful in terms of your career, then maybe other jobs out there would be more suitable.

Unregistered 23-08-2021 08:42 PM

Quote:

Hahahhahaha

Unregistered 23-08-2021 09:09 PM

Quote:

Everyone is considered as a TA if they study in NIE now. TA is very low in the scholarship hierarchy. If you are a Overseas Merit Scholar or PSC scholar, then that progression that you’ve mentioned is very achievable.

Unregistered 24-08-2021 12:07 AM

I wonder if teachers are able to see the bigger picture.

Building good relationships with your students has a higher chance of your students doing better in your classes.

It is true that your plates are full / you wear too many hats.

But if you spend time to understand your students (not academically, referring to their background/life story), your students can see genuine care and concern and in turn, they will be more willing to listen to your lessons, be engaged and results will gradually show.

Teaching requires a heart first, not just hard.

Most students see you more hours in a day than they see their parents.
Especially in today's society where most parents are working and/or in this pandemic where financial issues are rising.

I wonder how many teachers actually think and see below the surface of the behavioural issues that students are presenting in class or are teachers more concerned over academic grades first because that is their kpi?

Unregistered 24-08-2021 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 181010)

Building good relationships with your students has a higher chance of your students doing better in your classes.

But if you spend time to understand your students (not academically, referring to their background/life story), your students can see genuine care and concern and in turn, they will be more willing to listen to your lessons, be engaged and results will gradually show.

Especially in today's society where most parents are working and/or in this pandemic where financial issues are rising.

I wonder how many teachers actually think and see below the surface of the behavioural issues that students are presenting in class or are teachers more concerned over academic grades first because that is their kpi?

Damn right, don’t go pinch your student ears, cut their hair la and worse accuse them of something they didn’t do… if don’t have the heart don’t be a teacher or principal, better don’t sabo everybody… if wanna farm pls go be tuition teacher ba

Unregistered 25-08-2021 03:31 AM

Quote:

Haha this one confirm not teacher

Unregistered 25-08-2021 08:47 PM

Quote:

Our kpi have not been grades for a long time

Unregistered 25-08-2021 08:49 PM

Quote:

our kpi have not been grades for a long time

Unregistered 25-08-2021 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 181145)
Haha this one confirm not teacher

Might be an idealistic and fortunate teacher

Unregistered 25-08-2021 10:34 PM

What is the average salary range for an average performer? Assuming if can hit SEO1 by early 40s

Unregistered 26-08-2021 06:15 AM

Average performers will never hit SEO1 - that requires an official appointment, like ST or SH role.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 181217)
What is the average salary range for an average performer? Assuming if can hit SEO1 by early 40s

Unregistered 26-08-2021 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 181217)

In reality, average performers will not reach SEO 1

Unregistered 26-08-2021 07:08 PM

Then the max for average farmer will be GEO5? Getting abt 150k annual?

Unregistered 26-08-2021 08:50 PM

Salary scales have been shared before - you can try searching for them in this thread.

GEO5 caps at 7845. Average annual might be around 14.5 months (12 months + 13th month + 1.25-1.5 months average C). That will be more like 114k.

Not sure what age an average performer can expect to hit this, though. And this is excluding the variable mid/end year civil service bonus, and of course the CONNECT plan payouts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 181289)
Then the max for average farmer will be GEO5? Getting abt 150k annual?

Unregistered222 27-08-2021 01:31 PM

Quote:

lol I think you can start looking for a new job

Unregistered 27-08-2021 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 181295)
Salary scales have been shared before - you can try searching for them in this thread.

GEO5 caps at 7845. Average annual might be around 14.5 months (12 months + 13th month + 1.25-1.5 months average C). That will be more like 114k.

Not sure what age an average performer can expect to hit this, though. And this is excluding the variable mid/end year civil service bonus, and of course the CONNECT plan payouts.

The cap is much higher than this

Unregistered 27-08-2021 10:33 PM

Ranking

When is ranking usually carried out? Is it already done for this year?

Unregistered 27-08-2021 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 181395)
When is ranking usually carried out? Is it already done for this year?

around this period. My sch just finished today

Unregistered 28-08-2021 09:59 AM

Hello, I know performance grades do not automatically affect potential ranking, but does getting higher grades like B or even A help when ranking panel is considering?

On a separate note, is there a minimum quota for A grades during panel meetings? Or do schools choose to award only in exceptional cases, which emans sometimes the highest grade is only a B?

Unregistered 28-08-2021 12:16 PM

Quote:

If you really manage to become a HOD, VP or P within a small number of years, your subgrade may lag behind because of the slowed down pace of promotions across the service. So you may end up being a GEO4 HOD, or GEO5 VP still waiting for promotion.

And even if you do get promoted to SEO grades quickly, your actual salary point may be near the bottom of those scales, so it might be 7 to 9k instead of >10k. To rise through the salary points quickly, there is really no shortcut except years and years of solid merit increments in between your promotion years.

Later on when you take on management responsibilities as a young RO, you may realise that even though you are a KP, some of your JHs (direct reports) who have served many more years than you are earning more than you. It is common to see SEO1s who were promoted fast earning much less than seasoned GEO4/5s.

Unregistered 28-08-2021 12:26 PM

Feeling a bit jaded.
I love teaching and the satisfaction of seeing my students succeed, and the sense of fulfillment from helping them with their issues outside of academics.
But the sheer amount of (meaningless, irrelevant) admin work and slow progression (earning just 5k+ at 31, laughable annual increment) makes me think of jumping out of teaching.

What are some viable careers if I were to leave teaching? Could someone share some of their own experience or perhaps what they've seen others do successfully once they have left teaching?