Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 28-11-2019 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 125787)
Anyone knows how long does it normally takes for an average performer to promote from GEO3 to GEO4? Thanks.

It’s much slower nowadays... I’m a consistent C grader but haven’t been promoted to GEO4. Was promoted to GEO3 in oct 2016

Unregistered 28-11-2019 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 125938)
It’s much slower nowadays... I’m a consistent C grader but haven’t been promoted to GEO4. Was promoted to GEO3 in oct 2016

It has only been 3 years since your last promotion. It’s not slow. It’s normal for most people. The average promotion timeline for most ppl is 4-5 years. Most ppl will have a CEP of SEO1. If that is your CEP and you count the number of years you have in service, how fast do you think you will be promoted?

Unregistered 28-11-2019 08:37 PM

My friend a guy within 5 years from geo3 to geo5 then complete his masters within the next 3 years ... next year going to hq liao ...
He wondering when he will be sh what u all think ?

Unregistered 28-11-2019 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 126045)
My friend a guy within 5 years from geo3 to geo5 then complete his masters within the next 3 years ... next year going to hq liao ...

That’s fast. Must be school doesn’t have vacancy and that’s why he got posted to HQ. Based on his substantive grade, he may even come out as HOD after his HQ stint. If GEO5, most bosses will push for HOD when he completes his HQ stint.

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher 29-11-2019 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 125964)
It has only been 3 years since your last promotion. It’s not slow. It’s normal for most people. The average promotion timeline for most ppl is 4-5 years. Most ppl will have a CEP of SEO1. If that is your CEP and you count the number of years you have in service, how fast do you think you will be promoted?

Fully agree. It is not like annual increment where you get promoted yearly. Even for consistent top performers (e.g. A B A etc). In my years of working in the school, I have not heard of 1-year promotions from GEO 3 to GEO 4. Maybe you misread as GEO 2 to GEO 3 (That would be more common due to Male-NS etc.).

Must remember, a generic teacher's pay ceiling is usually within the GEO 5 range (7k+). You have to be considered for a position for SEO 1 hence many teachers will probably just hit GEO 5 and remain there as it is also where they have passed the 'chionging phase' and will not 'chiong' so much in their career due to other commitments (e.g. family).

So if most teachers end off at GEO 5, unless your CEP is high with consistent good performance or at least a mix of above average and good, then I would say you can hope to get your GEO 3 - 4 in less than 3 years. Average GEO 3 - 4 for average performers is usually 3 - 5 years, or longer if you were emplaced onto GEO 2/3 from previous diploma. Many factors come into play actually which I myself am also not in the know. Best way is, ask around and find out from friendlier colleagues to gather more data :)

Unregistered 29-11-2019 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 126052)
That’s fast. Must be school doesn’t have vacancy and that’s why he got posted to HQ. Based on his substantive grade, he may even come out as HOD after his HQ stint. If GEO5, most bosses will push for HOD when he completes his HQ stint.

Think he apply for the post and got selected after interview
Not the school sent
Haha

Unregistered 29-11-2019 11:11 AM

I believe my CEP should be GEO 5? I obtained my general SUSS degree on part time basis and got emplaced from the old Div 2 GEO grade onto GEO 1A1 and subsequently GEO 3.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 125840)
Depends on your CEP and whether you kena any C- or D.

Fastest 1 year, longest really depends...

Unregistered 29-11-2019 11:17 AM

Are you referring to those who got emplaced from Div 2 onto Div 1 w/o getting a degree?

I got emplaced from Div 2 onto Div 1 after getting my degree. Do I belong to the longer group or normal group?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher (Post 126077)
Average GEO 3 - 4 for average performers is usually 3 - 5 years, or longer if you were emplaced onto GEO 2/3 from previous diploma.

Unregistered 29-11-2019 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 125935)
The author mentioned average performer, so definitely not 1 year.

I would say that it would take on average 3 years for C graders.

Really depends from school to school. I have seen teachers who are/were stuck for 5 to 6 years st GEO 3.i

If you have C- or worse, be prepared for promotion to be delayed by at least 3 years before one could be considered for promotion.

Unregistered 29-11-2019 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 125938)

Yup its much slower these days but your CEP also plays a big role. Prior promotion from geo 3 to 4, I waited for 3 years. Consistent default grade back then.

Unregistered 29-11-2019 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 125964)

SEO 1 is only for Senior teachers where most would retire as happy ordinary teacher where the job grade maxes out at GEO 5.

Unregistered 29-11-2019 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 126045)

I know of someone who was confirmed as HOD within 6 years from service and cleared his interview as HOD.

He is a scholar and old boy...

That's fast. With such fast promotion, won't be surprised if his cep is principal level.

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher 29-11-2019 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 126173)
I know of someone who was confirmed as HOD within 6 years from service and cleared his interview as HOD.

He is a scholar and old boy...

That's fast. With such fast promotion, won't be surprised if his cep is principal level.

Such cases I have heard of before indeed. Highly likely the someone is currently a HOD, at GEO 5. There are actually quite a number of younger potential teachers with higher CEP operating in this role.

Do note that HOD does not equate to immediate promotion to SEO. For this 6 year male, he probably had 1 year GEO 2-3, then 5 years spread out from GEO 3-4 (possibly 2 years here) and 4-5 (3 years). And currently he is in a HOD position while holding GEO 5.

Of course this person will be on a fast (more importantly, guaranteed) track towards SEO tier as not many would be considered for that. But I do know of HODs who feel that they are placed on that role as a GEO 5 and feel jaded after a few years as they have not gotten the SEO 1 promotion yet. It's a lot about managing expectations, whether you like middle management (even SH/LH are expected SEOs but with many GEO 5s holding those positions as well), and if you can handle the politics.

Unregistered 30-11-2019 11:44 AM

now there are more vacancies in pri sch. Going to HQ doesnt guarantee an MM position - it still depends on vacancies, and whether the individual clears his interview.

Unregistered 01-12-2019 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher (Post 126241)
Such cases I have heard of before indeed. Highly likely the someone is currently a HOD, at GEO 5. There are actually quite a number of younger potential teachers with higher CEP operating in this role.

Do note that HOD does not equate to immediate promotion to SEO. For this 6 year male, he probably had 1 year GEO 2-3, then 5 years spread out from GEO 3-4 (possibly 2 years here) and 4-5 (3 years). And currently he is in a HOD position while holding GEO 5.

Of course this person will be on a fast (more importantly, guaranteed) track towards SEO tier as not many would be considered for that. But I do know of HODs who feel that they are placed on that role as a GEO 5 and feel jaded after a few years as they have not gotten the SEO 1 promotion yet. It's a lot about managing expectations, whether you like middle management (even SH/LH are expected SEOs but with many GEO 5s holding those positions as well), and if you can handle the politics.

My progression is similar, just that it took me a year more, 7 years, to reach geo 5 and be appointed hod. I am not a scholar, in fact I didn't do well in uni. I consider myself a farmer, slogging day in day out. Seo? When it comes, it comes. VP? Hard to say, given the high demand and low supply. Progression and appointment have indeed slowed down over the years. Ps tend to follow the guideline when it comes to pushing people up the leadership track.

Politics? Everywhere. When you are in the exco, you will hear and see more ugly sides of things. But you will also be able to set things right. Depending on your character, there are some who are silent worker and chose not to be in the limelight. And there are others who are clearly more dominating and will not hesitate to take you on/down when disagreements happen. At the end of the day, I think one's RO is critical in his/her progression.

Unregistered 01-12-2019 05:25 PM

Anyone has taken OCA team award before? How much will each person get?

Unregistered 01-12-2019 10:13 PM

Salary revision

Hi everyone,

do you think there will be a salary revision anytime soon?

Unregistered 01-12-2019 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 126526)
Hi everyone,

do you think there will be a salary revision anytime soon?

Highly unlikely. Economy is extremely bad. Doubt there would be salary revision even though election is coming. The current salary scheme is considered competitive.

Unregistered 02-12-2019 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 126500)

Very little. Around 200+

Unregistered 02-12-2019 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 126535)
Very little. Around 200+

Thanks a lot !

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher 02-12-2019 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 126500)

This really depends on the school. Sums allocated by the school leaders for individual OCA and Team OCA are different in every school.

For Team OCA, it also depends on how many people are in the 'team'. For example, a team of 10 vs a team of 4

Unregistered 03-12-2019 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher (Post 126709)
This really depends on the school. Sums allocated by the school leaders for individual OCA and Team OCA are different in every school.

For Team OCA, it also depends on how many people are in the 'team'. For example, a team of 10 vs a team of 4

It is not calculated by individual teams, but rather the total number of oca team awardees. The quantum is then divided by that number. Around 200+.

Unregistered 03-12-2019 02:09 AM

Hi, can I find out the consequences of receiving C- in two subsequent years?
I have received 1 month PB, despite C-.

My school did not warn me before getting a C- and after C- for two years. I was a newbie but have since left the school.

Unregistered 03-12-2019 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 126732)

My school did not warn me before getting a C- and after C- for two years. I was a newbie but have since left the school.

C- means no promotion for at least 3 years.

Unregistered 03-12-2019 10:08 AM

Any teacher receive any email on how the 0.1 Avc plus lump sum gg to be distributed for our pay scale? And is it to be credited on 12?

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher 03-12-2019 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 126729)
It is not calculated by individual teams, but rather the total number of oca team awardees. The quantum is then divided by that number. Around 200+.

Yup what I meant. I think I wasn't clear enough in my post. Let me make it clearer. I meant Individual OCA as literally Individuals who get OCA, not teams. So for teams, it depends on the number of people who are in the winning team or teams then the quantum is divided equally. But just wanted to highlight that there are 2 kinds of OCA on top of answering the question given. May not always be 200+ actually, due to potentially different quantums every year, and different number of members in winning teams. My school's team OCA fluctuates very often. People have gotten 400+ 500+ before.

Unregistered 03-12-2019 10:31 PM

MOE connect plan payout

Hi all. Anyone knows if the connect plan payout would be affected by the poor economy outlook? Doesn’t seem very fair that only a few years of payouts get affected...

Unregistered 04-12-2019 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 126793)
Hi all. Anyone knows if the connect plan payout would be affected by the poor economy outlook? Doesn’t seem very fair that only a few years of payouts get affected...

Not affected. You should have received the yearly update through email about the connectplan amount.

Unregistered 04-12-2019 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 126732)

Left the school but still in the ministry? Apart from no promotion for 3 years, it might affect re-employment should you quit the service and decided to be flexi later on.

Most of the times, your RO would have communicated to you about the likelihood of a C- before ranking, unless your C- was only determined after things started surfacing during the ranking sessions. Nevertheless, you would know the afi and should have worked on them. So getting two consecutive C- is an indicator that you did not do things right or simply you might not be suitable for teaching. But I have seen JHs who got out of that situation after getting two C-. So not all hopes are lost.

Unregistered 04-12-2019 03:35 PM

Hi, for mid career change, what do be the salary for school stint?

Unregistered 05-12-2019 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 126800)
Left the school but still in the ministry? Apart from no promotion for 3 years, it might affect re-employment should you quit the service and decided to be flexi later on.

Most of the times, your RO would have communicated to you about the likelihood of a C- before ranking, unless your C- was only determined after things started surfacing during the ranking sessions. Nevertheless, you would know the afi and should have worked on them. So getting two consecutive C- is an indicator that you did not do things right or simply you might not be suitable for teaching. But I have seen JHs who got out of that situation after getting two C-. So not all hopes are lost.

In what sorts of situations would an officer get a C- or D or be at risk of getting those grades?

Unregistered 05-12-2019 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 126830)
Hi, for mid career change, what do be the salary for school stint?

Range from 3k to max 4340

Unregistered 06-12-2019 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 126864)

Noted. Thanks!

Unregistered 06-12-2019 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 126854)
In what sorts of situations would an officer get a C- or D or be at risk of getting those grades?

Fail filecheck, mess up lesson ob, not submitting things on time, late for school etc.
Basically, you would have compromised bread and butter of teacher- T&L of students or worst still, breach safety/finance/ethos regulations.

Unregistered 07-12-2019 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 126854)

It is also ranked in comparison with your job grade in the same school.. Like what others had mentioned previously, you could be ranked a C in a school where everyone cheong. But in another school where he teachers are more slacked, you could be ranked a C+ or even B.

Likewise vice versa. But T&L is the basic bread and butter.

Do not compromise on the following three items.

Assessment, Safety and Money. You will be fine. Assessment includes marking, file check and etc. But it all relative..

theandb 09-12-2019 10:18 PM

Any thing like C is not good. It's better to get above B or B+. Just like the grades in schools.

Unregistered 09-12-2019 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theandb (Post 127018)
Any thing like C is not good. It's better to get above B or B+. Just like the [URL="://.grade-calculator.org"]grades[/ in schools.

Don’t stir ****... if u were a teacher u would know there’s no B+

Unregistered 10-12-2019 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 126864)

Hi, to be offered $4340...is it based on interview performance? Or yrs of work experience or qualifications eg honours, masters?

I know of someone with no teaching exp, non edu related degree, no honours or masters, 15 yrs working in IT, some yrs as stay at home mum before she ventured into pgde n got offered$4340.

Unregistered 10-12-2019 10:04 AM

MOE Connect plan

Hi, just wondering how much will we get for the connect plan bonus for the first time (4 year). I heard from colleagues that we will only get around 7K to 8K? how was the payout last year?

Unregistered 10-12-2019 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 127028)
Hi, to be offered $4340...is it based on interview performance? Or yrs of work experience or qualifications eg honours, masters?

I know of someone with no teaching exp, non edu related degree, no honours or masters, 15 yrs working in IT, some yrs as stay at home mum before she ventured into pgde n got offered$4340.

While applying as mid career change, what should we fill up for the expected salary? Will this affect the application?