Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 21-08-2022 01:37 PM

Saw my teacher young fresh from nie wear short skirt no underwear today.

Drop my pen and saw it when her leg not crossed at teacher table.

Can I report her to my principal for making my bird bird stand whole day?

Unregistered 21-08-2022 02:29 PM

It’s Sunday today so stop making a clown of yourself.

Unregistered 21-08-2022 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 228643)
Saw my teacher young fresh from nie wear short skirt no underwear today.

Drop my pen and saw it when her leg not crossed at teacher table.

Can I report her to my principal for making my bird bird stand whole day?

Npnt .

Unregistered 22-08-2022 01:18 AM

Actually EO is not really education officer… is event organiser.
So sad

Unregistered 22-08-2022 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by observing (Post 228533)
many who're critical of teacher's pay rise are simply envious, because:

1) MOE rejected their application to become teachers
2) they alr left the education service
3) their current jobs will not be able to offer similar pay rise
4) they're SME owners/bosses

the capable and competent non-teachers would not feel jealous and view the pay rise as unfair, because they know that in current inflationary environment, their pay would eventually be increased too, if it hasnt increased already. usually when there's an increase of pay involving a big number of the workforce, there'll be spillover effects on other industries/service/statboards as well.

as usual, many SME owners/bosses will complain about being squeezed due to rising costs/rentals etc, hence not able to offer more competitive salary. they're the ones making the biggest noise, despite paying themselves quite a handsome bit.

but thats life, unfortunately

True. Saw someone who was forced to leave the service commenting on a Straits Times article on teachers’ pay raise. When others said a pay increment is necessary to stop teachers from leaving the service, he replied that actually, very few teachers leave the service.

The same person used to complain how hard teaching was. After he was made to leave the service, he would tell others that teachers have a good life, every month wait for money to come in etc.

Unregistered 23-08-2022 12:17 PM

Hi, does anyone know what are the benefits of being on the FLP? I hear there is a mandatory HQ stint, but what about their progression afterwards?

Unregistered 23-08-2022 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 228779)
Hi, does anyone know what are the benefits of being on the FLP? I hear there is a mandatory HQ stint, but what about their progression afterwards?

The main benefit is that you will be guaranteed more opportunities to demonstrate your ability (i.e. more side projects, beefier portfolios etc.). However to actually climb the ladder you must be able to meet or exceed expectations in your normal work + this extra work.

So in short, it positions you better to climb the ladder, but it doesn't guarantee that you actually climb much faster unless you do perform.

ed_ffirmations 24-08-2022 07:54 AM

Open Posting

It is my first posting but I am already quite overwhelmed by the school environment. I don't have any aims for advanced career progression, just want to teach (that's the most fulfilling part) but am bogged down by admin work. Was thinking of applying for open posting next cycle, but have some concerns.

1) If I apply for open posting, I will need to inform my RO and my P. Although they cannot block me from applying, in the event that I do not get my posting, is there a chance that they will double down on me in terms of workload? What happens to people who do not get their open posting choice?

2) What are the chances of BTs successfully getting an open posting? I have a cross-department subject combi, so I think it may be more difficult for me to get a posting.

Would appreciate if anyone could share their first open posting experience.

Unregistered 24-08-2022 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ed_ffirmations (Post 228824)
It is my first posting but I am already quite overwhelmed by the school environment. I don't have any aims for advanced career progression, just want to teach (that's the most fulfilling part) but am bogged down by admin work. Was thinking of applying for open posting next cycle, but have some concerns.

1) If I apply for open posting, I will need to inform my RO and my P. Although they cannot block me from applying, in the event that I do not get my posting, is there a chance that they will double down on me in terms of workload? What happens to people who do not get their open posting choice?

2) What are the chances of BTs successfully getting an open posting? I have a cross-department subject combi, so I think it may be more difficult for me to get a posting.

I have no specific advice for you regarding applying for OPE as a BT, but just know that even in schools with the best staff culture and working environment, an MOE teacher spends less than half of their working hours actually teaching. The admin work is universal and a systemic problem. It is built in to the basic job expectations of any MOE teacher.

ed_ffirmations 24-08-2022 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 228825)
I have no specific advice for you regarding applying for OPE as a BT, but just know that even in schools with the best staff culture and working environment, an MOE teacher spends less than half of their working hours actually teaching. The admin work is universal and a systemic problem. It is built in to the basic job expectations of any MOE teacher.

Thanks! For sure every posting need to do admin, but some schools, like the autonomous and independent ones, have so many more events than the non-autonomous ones. Need to wayang to public yknow? That's why I feel like getting out.

Unregistered 24-08-2022 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ed_ffirmations (Post 228860)
Thanks! For sure every posting need to do admin, but some schools, like the autonomous and independent ones, have so many more events than the non-autonomous ones. Need to wayang to public yknow? That's why I feel like getting out.

Such schools are given additional manpower to be able to handle these events and programs. Also such schools tend to have a better student profile, who have the capability to be stretched and developed in other ways such as these extra programs. So is it really seen as just wayang? Why is this also not seen as a way to develop the child? So you say you want to teach, but what exactly do you want to teach? Subject mastery? Values? Student well-being? So many aspects to consider.

Last point, if you really only want to “teach” then best is for you to become an FAJT. Literally they only have to teach. But of course as a young teacher at the lower GEO grades, your salary might not make it viable

Unregistered 24-08-2022 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 228864)
Such schools are given additional manpower to be able to handle these events and programs. Also such schools tend to have a better student profile, who have the capability to be stretched and developed in other ways such as these extra programs. So is it really seen as just wayang? Why is this also not seen as a way to develop the child? So you say you want to teach, but what exactly do you want to teach? Subject mastery? Values? Student well-being? So many aspects to consider.

Last point, if you really only want to “teach” then best is for you to become an FAJT. Literally they only have to teach. But of course as a young teacher at the lower GEO grades, your salary might not make it viable

FAJT ftw.
Salary low just do tuition outside

Unregistered 24-08-2022 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 228889)
FAJT ftw.

Need to buy car otherwise public transport to many different houses is not sustainable. But again, with car brings along another set of expenses which makes this option not viable.

Unregistered 25-08-2022 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ed_ffirmations (Post 228824)

If the SOPs has not changed, BTs can only apply for open posting after 3 years in the school. Even if your current P allows, it does not send a good signal to the interview panel at the other school.

Unregistered 25-08-2022 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 228891)
Need to buy car otherwise public transport to many different houses is not sustainable. But again, with car brings along another set of expenses which makes this option not viable.

Sucks to be poor i guess.

Unregistered 26-08-2022 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 228945)
If the SOPs has not changed, BTs can only apply for open posting after 3 years in the school. Even if your current P allows, it does not send a good signal to the interview panel at the other school.

It's two years in a BT's first posting. Only subsequent postings require three years.

How does it not send a good signal? I've had peers who left their first school for other schools or junior roles in HQ via Open Posting. It's not been a problem for any of them. In fact, some of them are much happier and doing so much better (while being recognised better for their performance), as compared to staying in a toxic environment.

Choosing to leave an environment in which one is a poor fit is not something that reflects badly on them. In fact it shows that they have the will to take charge of their own well-being and career development.

Unregistered 27-08-2022 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ed_ffirmations (Post 228860)

Honestly speaking, you're actually quite right. The better schools indeed have a lot more events, academic KPIs and higher expectations in student management.

Some people went from good schools to neighbourhood schools and the expectations became more manageable to them.

I would say that changing schools can also help you gain a wider perspective of the education system, where you can gain useful insights for your career :)

Unregistered 27-08-2022 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 228889)
FAJT ftw.

Dun convert to a FAJT expecting just to "teach", and not prepare resources for own use, set assessment questions, do proper marking or teach poorly. Then take up tuition outside, and be a selfish prick.

Personally, have seen EOs quitting, cannot survive in the private sector, then return to service to become FAJT and continue to do a bad job. School is shorthanded and no choice but to keep the FAJT.

Unregistered 27-08-2022 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 229092)
Dun convert to a FAJT expecting just to "teach", and not prepare resources for own use, set assessment questions, do proper marking or teach poorly. Then take up tuition outside, and be a selfish prick.

Personally, have seen EOs quitting, cannot survive in the private sector, then return to service to become FAJT and continue to do a bad job. School is shorthanded and no choice but to keep the FAJT.

School is shorthanded: whose fault?

Bloody world class education system but cannot manage the attrition rate.

Unregistered 27-08-2022 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 229105)
School is shorthanded: whose fault?

Bloody world class education system but cannot manage the attrition rate.

Should cut down on projects, events and committee work to make it more sustainable

Unregistered 28-08-2022 08:25 PM

Quote:

Lol not my problem.

Unregistered 30-08-2022 03:12 PM

Quote:

How about CAJT? What's the diff in terms of pay and workload? anyone can shed some light on this?

Unregistered 30-08-2022 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 229278)
How about CAJT? What's the diff in terms of pay and workload? anyone can shed some light on this?

Workload not much diff, just no "stretch" projects probably. Pay is similar to full-time at the point when you left full-time service, except you have no Performance Bonus.

You have to arrive at an agreement on the exact terms of your workload with the school that is hiring you. Every principal has their own beliefs on adjunct teacher deployment, even if they are following the same general MOE guidelines.

Unregistered 31-08-2022 02:22 PM

the truth is

Quote:

as self-centered as that may sound, you cant really blame such teachers as the education system/school culture is responsible for turning him/her into one. if you 'reward' mediocrity, there wont be motivation to do give one's best.

competent, committed and caring EOs covering for out-of-depth and heck-care teachers, until the former is overwhelmed and burnout, before deciding to transform into the latter. the root problem is really the school's toxic culture. until that is addressed, everyone will be taking turns to shoulder the workload.

Unregistered 31-08-2022 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 229376)
as self-centered as that may sound, you cant really blame such teachers as the education system/school culture is responsible for turning him/her into one. if you 'reward' mediocrity, there wont be motivation to do give one's best.

competent, committed and caring EOs covering for out-of-depth and heck-care teachers, until the former is overwhelmed and burnout, before deciding to transform into the latter. the root problem is really the school's toxic culture. until that is addressed, everyone will be taking turns to shoulder the workload.

On top of that, some management actively pounces on mistakes to justify giving a C- or worse grade to well intending staff who makes mistake. Some mistakes i hear are so trivial and maybe someone else did the same but on good books so get away.

Unregistered 01-09-2022 07:43 PM

When do they announce academy awards for professional development?

Unregistered 04-09-2022 07:21 PM

What to do.. all these parents know how to f but don't know how to look after kids... management also sucks... some PE hod go book camps during last week NOV just to meet his stupid KPI. Totally brainless... then when ppl go for national exam duty... he cannot cover.. always ask other ppl do. Talk about leading by example and say wanna lead or love to lead... kns.. lead by arrowing only...

Then these m fker gonna get more raise than the rest... really piece of ****. See liao du lan

Unregistered 05-09-2022 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 229627)
What to do.. all these parents know how to f but don't know how to look after kids... management also sucks... some PE hod go book camps during last week NOV just to meet his stupid KPI. Totally brainless... then when ppl go for national exam duty... he cannot cover.. always ask other ppl do. Talk about leading by example and say wanna lead or love to lead... kns.. lead by arrowing only...

Then these m fker gonna get more raise than the rest... really piece of ****. See liao du lan

Middle managers in schools r all shitty leaders n shittier teachers

Unregistered 05-09-2022 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 229658)
Middle managers in schools r all shitty leaders n shittier teachers

I wonder why your mouth is full of ****

Unregistered 05-09-2022 01:45 PM

Still no news on exactly how % increment diff grades are getting?

Unregistered 06-09-2022 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 229684)
Still no news on exactly how % increment diff grades are getting?

Would it be the same as 2015?

Unregistered 06-09-2022 12:11 PM

Is it worth it to go for SEO1 in leadership track? My RO asked me to think about whether I want to go for leadership or teaching track.

But I feel that SH is like being a sergeant in the army. You have a bit of power but you get pushed around by the people above you and have to herd the people under you.

It seems like if you want to go on leadership track, HOD is the least that we should aim for.

Unregistered 06-09-2022 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 229765)
Is it worth it to go for SEO1 in leadership track? My RO asked me to think about whether I want to go for leadership or teaching track.

But I feel that SH is like being a sergeant in the army. You have a bit of power but you get pushed around by the people above you and have to herd the people under you.

It seems like if you want to go on leadership track, HOD is the least that we should aim for.

Yup, but you can’t jump from a teacher to HOD. But with the new GEO5A grade, maybe don’t need to aim for SEO1. Less work but pay is quite similar/comfortable.

Unregistered 06-09-2022 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 229767)
Yup, but you can’t jump from a teacher to HOD. But with the new GEO5A grade, maybe don’t need to aim for SEO1. Less work but pay is quite similar/comfortable.

Yeah I mean, I'm concerned that if I become SH, that might be my ceiling. Cannot go to HOD. If that's the case then maybe being at GEO5 or this new GEO5A thing might be better. The difference between GEO5 and SEO1 isn't that much anyway.

Unregistered 06-09-2022 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 229768)
Yeah I mean, I'm concerned that if I become SH, that might be my ceiling. Cannot go to HOD. If that's the case then maybe being at GEO5 or this new GEO5A thing might be better. The difference between GEO5 and SEO1 isn't that much anyway.

If you are already a GEO5, then I think GEO5A makes sense. I think SH only suitable for these GEO4 officers who want a stepping stone to promote fast.

Unregistered 06-09-2022 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 229769)
If you are already a GEO5, then I think GEO5A makes sense. I think SH only suitable for these GEO4 officers who want a stepping stone to promote fast.

Is it stressful being a SH or HOD? Or is it better to be a HOT? Which has greater workload?

Unregistered 06-09-2022 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 229765)

Questions:
1. How many years have you been in the service?
2. How have your pb over the years been?

It could be a passing remark or a genuine case of seeing the potential in you to take on leadership role, be it in the teaching or leadership track. SH, ST, teachers, they all come under the hod. If the head is good, good. Else, it doesn’t make much of a difference.

To me, I will gladly take on SH position. It is a mean to shut the mouths of other KPs, especially during ranking since you will not be brought up for discussion. When you are just a HOT, many things, good or bad, go on behind the closed door. At the same time, you are likely to get a better pb. However, be prepared to take on more responsibilities too, including being an RO. Not everyone likes that.

i would say that not SH can attain hod position, you do see many career SHs. Of course, it is important to work towards that still. Stressful or not it depends on individuals. The responsibilities is definitely greater being a hod, as you oversee departments and often are required to take on roles such as presiding examiner for National examinations or lead committees in planning for school events.

Unregistered 07-09-2022 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 229780)
Is it stressful being a SH or HOD? Or is it better to be a HOT? Which has greater workload?

If you are a geo5 with a salary of 7+k, I think being HOT is better. Lesser ppl to answer to.

Unregistered 07-09-2022 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 229815)
If you are a geo5 with a salary of 7+k, I think being HOT is better. Lesser ppl to answer to.

But if you are still drawing 5+k as a GEO4, sitting on a SH/HOD position for a while will push you up to GEO5 much faster. When you reach a decent salary point, like 6.5k++, or when you hit SEO1, you can step down (and go back to GEO5) and enjoy your decent salary as a HOT.

Unregistered 07-09-2022 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 229842)
But if you are still drawing 5+k as a GEO4, sitting on a SH/HOD position for a while will push you up to GEO5 much faster. When you reach a decent salary point, like 6.5k++, or when you hit SEO1, you can step down (and go back to GEO5) and enjoy your decent salary as a HOT.

Yup, so if you are a GEO4, can take up SH. But make sure it’s official appointment and not internal. I always think internal appointment are not worth it. Official appointment at least got responsibility allowance. If you are already GEO5 hitting ceiling, then no point.