Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 06-08-2022 08:39 AM

Cluster interview during open posting

What will happen if you applied for a SH position to another school during OPE but unfortunately failed the cluster interview?

Still enter the new school as a teacher, or remain in the current school as a teacher?

Unregistered 06-08-2022 08:58 AM

If the new school posted KP vacancy, but applicant cannot join us KP, it’s quite hard for them to take you in?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 227532)
What will happen if you applied for a SH position to another school during OPE but unfortunately failed the cluster interview?

Still enter the new school as a teacher, or remain in the current school as a teacher?

Unregistered 06-08-2022 10:04 AM

Quote:

If the sch really wants you, they may offer you an internal appointment to groom you first before sending you for another cluster interview should you fail this interview.

Unregistered 06-08-2022 12:31 PM

What does a school do with officer with SEO1 CEP but no more KP vacancies? The officer waits till a KP vacancy opens up?

Unregistered 06-08-2022 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 227554)
What does a school do with officer with SEO1 CEP but no more KP vacancies? The officer waits till a KP vacancy opens up?

I’ve seen SLs recommending officers to another school to take up KP positions.

Unregistered 06-08-2022 03:11 PM

Quote:

This is what the P told me when going for KP cluster sup interview

There are 3 outcomes:

1. Clear the interview
2. Did not clear interview, join new school as normal teacher but given KP portfolio, aka internal appointment appointment. Cluster sup interview in 1-2 years time.
3. Interview panel deemed as not suitable for KP appointment. Join new school as normal teacher.

Unregistered 06-08-2022 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 227556)
I’ve seen SLs recommending officers to another school to take up KP positions.

Essentially asking to go to another school to apply for KP position just like anyone else during open posting?

Unregistered 06-08-2022 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 227210)
You need to temper your expectations if you want to survive in the long run in MOE. Overpromising statements are the bread and butter of making things look rosy from an outsider's perspective. It's just politics. Remember when political office holders said the system would better support teachers' mental well-being? What did we get? And that was only the tip of the iceberg.

If you bank your hopes and dreams on empty words, you will never reach contentment while in this service. Focus on the positive things, or, leave service and go elsewhere to chase what you feel makes you happier.

Absolutely spot on! Teachers' mental wellbeing? What is that?

Unregistered 06-08-2022 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 227554)

There are too many people with SEO1 CEP. You need at least SEO2 CEP (top among teachers) for the schools to consider you for SH positions.

If you want to be appointed with SEO1 CEP, the only way to go apply for OPE yourself.

Unregistered 06-08-2022 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 227574)
There are too many people with SEO1 CEP. You need at least SEO2 CEP (top among teachers) for the schools to consider you for SH positions.

If you want to be appointed with SEO1 CEP, the only way to go apply for OPE yourself.

How common is SEO1 cep?

Unregistered 06-08-2022 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 227575)
How common is SEO1 cep?

Almost any young enough teacher who expresses interest in climbing the ladder in any track, and possesses at least a few of the dispositions that suggest they may grow into a leadership role, will have SEO1 CEP within their first few years of service.

Unregistered 07-08-2022 12:44 AM

Interesting. But can non KP hold seo2 cep?

Unregistered 07-08-2022 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 227594)
Interesting. But can non KP hold seo2 cep?

Yes, possible. In my experience, usually the very capable type, who's happy staying a HOT (e.g. focusing on family).

For SEO1 CEP - relatively common (but definitely less than the majority), yes, but in my experience it's seldom the case that all of them are actively seeking higher appointment at the same time. Some are happy staying as HOT; some still feel they're not quite ready to make the leap. For those who end up feeling frustrated at the lack of opportunity within the school, applying out is a valid pathway.

Unregistered 07-08-2022 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 227574)

To add another perspective - maybe the schools I've been in just aren't quite that competitive, but SH positions often went to officers with SEO1 CEP. Definitely not enough to cater to all; but not everyone is seeking higher appointment either…

Unregistered 07-08-2022 10:46 PM

How about those with SEO3 or Supecale CEP? Are there teachers like these who are not KPs?

Unregistered 08-08-2022 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 227671)
How about those with SEO3 or Supecale CEP? Are there teachers like these who are not KPs?

Extremely rare, but I have seen before. PSC scholar after 2nd year of trained teaching, just before going to HQ. CEP is higher than that of a HOD-equivalent.

Unregistered 08-08-2022 11:31 PM

Will nie practicum grades affect the cep then?

Unregistered 08-08-2022 11:44 PM

no. But initial impression does count. Even if you don't ace your practicum, but you are observed by KPs to demonstrate strong potential to think and perform at a higher level, it will help

Unregistered 09-08-2022 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 227768)
Will nie practicum grades affect the cep then?

Not at all. It doesn't even go into your EPMS form (unless you insist) and it doesn't factor into the discussions by the ranking panel. After a year or so your RO will probably not even remember your practicum grade, if they knew it in the first place.

Unregistered 09-08-2022 11:44 PM

Am wondering how schools go about this process of changing an officer’s cep. Like mentioned earlier, any young officer demonstrating a desire to climb and he/she showing some abilities will get seo1 cep easily. Feels quite easy to get a seo1 cep. What about seo2?

Unregistered 10-08-2022 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 227825)
Like mentioned earlier, any young officer demonstrating a desire to climb and he/she showing some abilities will get seo1 cep easily. Feels quite easy to get a seo1 cep.

Why should it be difficult to get a seo1 CEP? If an officer with aspirations is denied even SEO1 CEP, then they will not have any advancement prospects at all. Some teachers are happy with that because their goals are very clear: just to be a happy ordinary teacher all the way. But many teachers also have aspirations, and many teachers can be trained into good leaders if given the right opportunities and a nurturing environment.

The door is only closed on teachers who show, from very early in their career, that they have no potential whatsoever to be trained into a leader. This really only applies to the poorest performers.

Unregistered 10-08-2022 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 227833)
Why should it be difficult to get a seo1 CEP? If an officer with aspirations is denied even SEO1 CEP, then they will not have any advancement prospects at all. Some teachers are happy with that because their goals are very clear: just to be a happy ordinary teacher all the way. But many teachers also have aspirations, and many teachers can be trained into good leaders if given the right opportunities and a nurturing environment.

The door is only closed on teachers who show, from very early in their career, that they have no potential whatsoever to be trained into a leader. This really only applies to the poorest performers.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t feel like the system could support this ease of a seo1 cep. There could be 10 aspiring young officers of seo1 cep and yet only 1 opening. Training (or also called loading) without getting a post (assuming good obvious capabilities) after 5 6 years is probably why many aspiring good officers end up disgruntled or leaving service totally. No easy solution to this but making it easy to get seo1 cep definitely is not a useful measure.

Unregistered 11-08-2022 06:52 AM

Anyone able to access hrp to see payslip? It keep saying system error message

Unregistered 11-08-2022 03:06 PM

I may be wrong but when we see such error msg it usually means uploads are being done. Check back soon

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 227886)
Anyone able to access hrp to see payslip? It keep saying system error message

Unregistered 11-08-2022 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 227851)
Unfortunately, it doesn’t feel like the system could support this ease of a seo1 cep. There could be 10 aspiring young officers of seo1 cep and yet only 1 opening. Training (or also called loading) without getting a post (assuming good obvious capabilities) after 5 6 years is probably why many aspiring good officers end up disgruntled or leaving service totally. No easy solution to this but making it easy to get seo1 cep definitely is not a useful measure.

CEP is only an indicator of potential. It allows for advancement, but was never designed to guarantee it. To actually advance requires one to compete with others. Yes there is a bit of a progression bottleneck in the Education Service because people tend to stay in positions for longer, and tend to stay in service for longer. But progression bottlenecks are found everywhere in other govt agencies and in the private sector as well. The competitive nature of progression is found everywhere as well.

Unregistered 11-08-2022 10:51 PM

GEO 3 just after practicum

Hi, I hv just finished PGDE practicum this year in Mar 2022 and today just received a letter from MOE via P, informing that I am now GEO 3 and given quite a huge increment such that my new salary is now very close to GEO 3 ceiling. I thought all newly trained teachers are GEO 2? What does this mean in terms of the path ahead for me? For the record, I am a very late mid career switcher... Appreciate some advice and insights, thks!

Unregistered 11-08-2022 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 227946)
CEP is only an indicator of potential. It allows for advancement, but was never designed to guarantee it. To actually advance requires one to compete with others. Yes there is a bit of a progression bottleneck in the Education Service because people tend to stay in positions for longer, and tend to stay in service for longer. But progression bottlenecks are found everywhere in other govt agencies and in the private sector as well. The competitive nature of progression is found everywhere as well.

Fully agree. The bottleneck will become worse and worse. The education sector will probably get less popular to the younger ones.

Unregistered 12-08-2022 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 227960)
Hi, I hv just finished PGDE practicum this year in Mar 2022 and today just received a letter from MOE via P, informing that I am now GEO 3 and given quite a huge increment such that my new salary is now very close to GEO 3 ceiling. I thought all newly trained teachers are GEO 2? What does this mean in terms of the path ahead for me? For the record, I am a very late mid career switcher... Appreciate some advice and insights, thks!

I would say nothing much special. Promotion to GEO3 soon after PGDE is a default... you are given higher salary on the GEO3 scale cause of your age / relevant experience (equivalent to cumulative merot incremeents were you to be in MOE all this time). Good time to talk to your RO for sensing of your CEP knstead.

Unregistered 12-08-2022 04:02 PM

Anyone able to check your payslip on hrp? Tried checking at 3.45pm today and I can’t seem to find it.

Unregistered 12-08-2022 06:41 PM

Why are people asking about payslip? It's not like your salary for August will be different from the previous month..

Unregistered 12-08-2022 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 227960)

congratulations. Its normal but in any case, once u reach the ceiling, it will be a few years before you see another increment, upon another promotion to geo 4.

nevertheless, during these volatile times, its good news, with the extra cash in hand.

Unregistered 13-08-2022 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 228027)
congratulations. Its normal but in any case, once u reach the ceiling, it will be a few years before you see another increment, upon another promotion to geo 4.

nevertheless, during these volatile times, its good news, with the extra cash in hand.

Yup normal. I reached geo 3 ceiling at 2nd year of teaching and has been at ceiling the last 3 years.

Now waiting for the increment. No news or update. Friends at MOE mx scale earning above 6k all received liao.

Unregistered 13-08-2022 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 228051)
Yup normal. I reached geo 3 ceiling at 2nd year of teaching and has been at ceiling the last 3 years.

Now waiting for the increment. No news or update. Friends at MOE mx scale earning above 6k all received liao.

Geo3 to geo4 promotions have slowed down drastically. I assume you did a mid-career switch, but there are lots of first-career teachers including local scholars with decent CEP also stuck at the geo3 ceiling after 5, 6 years in service or so.

As many pages of recent comments suggest, don't pin your hopes on a service-wide increment. It could happen, but it's not guaranteed or extremely likely. Salary revision policy discussions happen at regular intervals, but they don't always lead to an actual salary revision. With the bean counters tightening the govt's purse strings these days, it's hard to say how this round of talks will turn out.

Unregistered 13-08-2022 06:03 PM

Anyone knows what’s the demand for fajt for EMS in primary schools like now?

Unregistered 13-08-2022 10:44 PM

Does our RO know our CEP or only the school leaders? Any suggestion on how to get ROs to hint at our CEP during work review?

Unregistered 13-08-2022 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 228081)
Does our RO know our CEP or only the school leaders? Any suggestion on how to get ROs to hint at our CEP during work review?

They know but they cannot hint or tell you.

Unregistered 14-08-2022 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 228081)

Unless the RO has incredibly loose lips for some reason, the only thing I can think of is to see what is said if you indicate you want to go for / apply out for a SH position - if insufficient CEP is a blocker, the RO might hint that it might not be a fruitful venture for now.

But that's not guaranteed; and there are various other possibilities. Lots of potential for false positives/negatives. Think safer to just assume no good way to know.

Unregistered 14-08-2022 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 228083)
They know but they cannot hint or tell you.

It is possible to extract information indirectly during career conversations by asking/suggesting if it is a good idea to pursue, e.g. a SH/HOD position or a leadership position in a HQ branch. If your CEP is not high enough your RO will talk you out of it or suggest other things you should focus on for the time being.

Asking direct questions about CEP will not yield any answers, of course.

Unregistered 14-08-2022 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 228105)
It is possible to extract information indirectly during career conversations by asking/suggesting if it is a good idea to pursue, e.g. a SH/HOD position or a leadership position in a HQ branch. If your CEP is not high enough your RO will talk you out of it or suggest other things you should focus on for the time being.

Asking direct questions about CEP will not yield any answers, of course.

I am more interested in the teaching track, not so much leadership. The last time I asked if there is any vacancy suitable for me, my RO suggested that I consider being a ST. So does that mean my CEP is not bad?

Unregistered 14-08-2022 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 228110)
I am more interested in the teaching track, not so much leadership. The last time I asked if there is any vacancy suitable for me, my RO suggested that I consider being a ST. So does that mean my CEP is not bad?

Possible, if he's making such suggestions. I guess you should be happy that he's helping to guide you on the track that you're keen on