Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 10-08-2021 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 179744)
I have gotten nothing but C- and D grades consistently for the past 4 years of teaching. Any potential repurcussions I should be watching out for?

Won't your RO have placed you on PRP and advised you on how to get out of these grades? What GEO are you currently in, if you don't mind sharing? Do you think these grades are fairly given to you, as in you feel you have done something adverse enough to warrant them? Cos if you just do your bare minimum and don't get yourself into any big trouble, can still scrape by with a C...

Unregistered 10-08-2021 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 179774)
Hi i used to be a flexi and recently converted to perm. I heard now it's v hard to be selected for interviews I tried 3 time and I am lucky that my ex p recommended me and therefore I have the chances to be back. Having said that now I am on a local contract for 2.4yrs before I am cosider a perm. And in this 2.5yrs my ranking is suppose to be at least a C grade .these 2 yrs I am.not entitled to connect or promotion. A x tbh I am abit regret to come back. Yeah so hope this help

Thank you for this sharing, appreciate it! Glad that you are able to make it through to the inteviews. May i ask how long you were a flexi before converting to perm?

Unregistered 10-08-2021 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 179776)
Won't your RO have placed you on PRP and advised you on how to get out of these grades? What GEO are you currently in, if you don't mind sharing? Do you think these grades are fairly given to you, as in you feel you have done something adverse enough to warrant them? Cos if you just do your bare minimum and don't get yourself into any big trouble, can still scrape by with a C...

Our ranking system is not criterion based. It does not mean if you have done certain things, you will get a certain grade. Ours is more like bell curve. If you are deemed as the bottom 5%, then you will have to get C-/D.

Unregistered 10-08-2021 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 179777)
Thank you for this sharing, appreciate it! Glad that you are able to make it through to the inteviews. May i ask how long you were a flexi before converting to perm?

i was flexi for 3 yrs den contract for 2yrs. i heard from contract to perm chances higher . hope this helps!

Unregistered 10-08-2021 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 179780)
Our ranking system is not criterion based. It does not mean if you have done certain things, you will get a certain grade. Ours is more like bell curve. If you are deemed as the bottom 5%, then you will have to get C-/D.

i wanna check, is it every schools must have C- and D? i always though of no major issue will not get a D

Unregistered 10-08-2021 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 179783)
i wanna check, is it every schools must have C- and D? i always though of no major issue will not get a D

C- is a must. There is a certain quota for it. For D, nope. For my school, we have not been giving any D. However, I have heard of school who gives D to a number of staff on yearly basis

Unregistered 10-08-2021 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 179782)
i was flexi for 3 yrs den contract for 2yrs. i heard from contract to perm chances higher . hope this helps!

Thank you for sharing! You motivate me to work towards the full time conversion. Stay strong and push on!

Unregistered 11-08-2021 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 179790)
C- is a must. There is a certain quota for it. For D, nope. For my school, we have not been giving any D. However, I have heard of school who gives D to a number of staff on yearly basis

Agree, I was the original poster on this topic and indeed my school does give out C- or D to like the bottom 15-20% of performers in the entire school.. harsh truth but I guess we have all gone through this in uni. Hopefully I don't get fired..

Unregistered 11-08-2021 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 179770)
Huh? Are you serious? Didn't your RO speak to you about it?

You can't apply for open posting nor closed posting. If you are looking forward to promotion, it will not happen anytime soon till you move out of C-/D for consecutive 3 years, then you will be considered for promotion. With adverse grade like this, you will not be reemployed as flexi adjunct say you decided to quit

is C- considered an adverse grade?

Unregistered 11-08-2021 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 179859)

Well, good question. MOE said that it is considered as a good grade yet getting C- will hold you back from promotion. Ironic

Unregistered 11-08-2021 08:56 PM

Quote:

They brainwash us into thinking it is not but at the same time, they said it will affect our promotion. What do you think?

Unregistered 11-08-2021 10:51 PM

Quote:

Yes it will delay promotion and opportunities. The quota is part of the mechanisms that are in place to reduce top-heaviness and manage the distribution of subgrades and promotion frequency.

In theory there are always above average performers and below average performers, but if you are stuck in a school/branch/dept that is all high performing then sad to say you are a small fish in a big pond.

Unregistered 11-08-2021 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 179550)
It's very dumb. Think of it this way -

if our student is physically unwell, we don't think twice about sending them to the doctor, telling the parents to send them to the doctor, or even call an ambulance if it is an emergency. Because in school, none of us are medical professionals. We need to send them to a clinical practicioner to get their illness 'fixed'.

If our student is suspected to be mentally unwell, why does our SOP prevent us from strongly urging parents to send them to a mental health professional? Why do we want to place the responsibility of being a mental health professional on our teachers, who are not trained and qualified to play that role? Why can't we send the children to an actual clinical practicioner to get the mental illness treated?

Simple..
because our Stone Age system still does not recognise mental illness as a real illness. We only recognise physical illness as real illnesses. The system is designed with the assumption that mental illnesses can be fixed if the individual simply adjusts their own mindset. And our Stone Age senior management and political leaders don't see a need to effect a big paradigm shift that addresses the root of the problem.

They are just putting more and more band-aids on the problem.

I really like what you have said. Teachers already have so many roles to play and now, we got to go through counselling and training and what nots to help students? When is the asking/ telling us to do certain things for our students ever going to stop? Soon, not only would we have more teachers checking themselves into IMH, who knows? The next to wield an axe/ stand on Mrt tracks/ fall off the school building is a teacher.
Who's going to take care of teachers' mental well- being??

Unregistered 12-08-2021 01:06 PM

Just wondering about this progression

2011-2014: GEO3
2015-2017: Went to HQ, got GEO4 in 2016.
2018-current: Posted to school as SH, got GEO 5 in 2020. Officially appointed HOD from 2021.

Currently at GEO5. Wondering how long does it take to reach SEO level usually? Isn't it better to stay at GEO5, as there are many SEO officers, HOD level?

Unregistered 13-08-2021 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 179934)

2018-current: Posted to school as SH, got GEO 5 in 2020. Officially appointed HOD from 2021.

Currently at GEO5. Wondering how long does it take to reach SEO level usually? Isn't it better to stay at GEO5, as there are many SEO officers, HOD level?

On average, most SEO take at least 20 years to reach their position. Most officers don’t even reach SEO stopping at GEO 5.

Might be better to stay at GEO 5 for the short term but eventually you want to progress right?

Unregistered 13-08-2021 06:26 AM

Quote:

Isn't it better to stay at GEO5, as there are many SEO officers, HOD level?

1) Yes, it will be more difficult to get C+, B etc. after you hit SEO1.

2) That said, the salary cap for SEO1 is higher than GEO5. PB quantum for the same grade (e.g. C) is also higher than equivalent for GEO. All in all, SEO1 will typically get more than GEO5, even if performance letter grade is lower.

3) Being a C-grader at SEO1 merely means you are performing on par with other SEO1 colleagues - not necessarily a bad thing? Whereas getting stuck at GEO5 for too long could possibly be an indication that something's wrong.

Unregistered 13-08-2021 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 179992)
2) That said, the salary cap for SEO1 is higher than GEO5. PB quantum for the same grade (e.g. C) is also higher than equivalent for GEO. All in all, SEO1 will typically get more than GEO5, even if performance letter grade is lower.

Yeah the happy ordinary teacher life at the top of the GEO5 scale is pretty sweet, but GEOs get shafted in terms of performance bonus quantum. 1.5, 1.6 months for C grade (meeting job expectations) is very low relative to the rest of the civil service. the PB for SEO grades receiving C is more reasonable and in line with the rest of the schemes.

But you are right, when you hit SEO grades you are likely to see a long chain of C grades more than anything else, even if you work your ass off. You'll miss the bygone days of B streaks as a GEO, haha

Unregistered 13-08-2021 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 180004)
Yeah the happy ordinary teacher life at the top of the GEO5 scale is pretty sweet, but GEOs get shafted in terms of performance bonus quantum. 1.5, 1.6 months for C grade (meeting job expectations) is very low relative to the rest of the civil service.

some say that part of the PB is moved to the CONNECT plan. who knows?

Unregistered 13-08-2021 05:06 PM

Quote:

Yeah the happy ordinary teacher life at the top of the GEO5 scale is pretty sweet, but GEOs get shafted in terms of performance bonus quantum. 1.5, 1.6 months for C grade (meeting job expectations) is very low relative to the rest of the civil service. the PB for SEO grades receiving C is more reasonable and in line with the rest of the schemes.

But you are right, when you hit SEO grades you are likely to see a long chain of C grades more than anything else, even if you work your ass off. You'll miss the bygone days of B streaks as a GEO, haha

Ah i see. Makes sense haha. Based on my above progression, how long estimated to reach SEO 1 from GEO 5 level?

Unregistered 14-08-2021 12:02 AM

Quote:

From 2021, C- will deny you connection plan deposit for that entire year of work.

Unregistered 14-08-2021 09:58 AM

A friend of mine told me that his merit increment this year was prorated. Is this because he took 40 days of no pay leave last year? What is the qualifying period for merit increment? I’m also thinking of taking npl next year. Thx

Unregistered 14-08-2021 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 180061)
From 2021, C- will deny you connection plan deposit for that entire year of work.

Where did you get the news from?

Unregistered 14-08-2021 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 180066)
A friend of mine told me that his merit increment this year was prorated. Is this because he took 40 days of no pay leave last year? What is the qualifying period for merit increment? I’m also thinking of taking npl next year. Thx

What rubbish is that?

Merit increments were lower than usual across the board this year. Not because they were prorated but because of some adjustments made in light of the poor economic performance and outlook.

Unregistered 14-08-2021 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 180119)
What rubbish is that?

Merit increments were lower than usual across the board this year. Not because they were prorated but because of some adjustments made in light of the poor economic performance and outlook.

He showed me the bottom bit of Apr pay info. It says “your gross salary includes a prorated Merit Increment of …”

Unregistered 14-08-2021 11:56 PM

Quote:

Does Geo or Seo have better work life balance?

Unregistered 15-08-2021 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 180112)
Where did you get the news from?

C- no deposit for connect plan for that year. This news was disseminated last year through CES. It's effective for year 2021 onwards.

Unregistered 15-08-2021 09:10 AM

Question: For salary credited on 12th June, means its for the work done in 1st-31st May? Am I correct to say that?

Unregistered 15-08-2021 10:18 AM

Can MOE Teachers give tuition

Can I check, can moe Teachers give tuition?

Unregistered 15-08-2021 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 180139)

Yes u can but u need to get approval from your p and I heard it's nkt more den half or one month of your salary ( this part I not sure)

Unregistered 15-08-2021 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 180139)

Last time no need to ask, just ensure it's less than 6 hours.

Now you must seek approval. See the following from the news recently. In Singapore, teachers are now required to seek approval to give tuition outside of school, following a review of guidelines by the Public Service Division

Read more at s://.todayonline.com/big-read/big-read-singapores-endless-love-affair-private-tuition-just-got-deeper-covid-19

Unregistered 15-08-2021 02:53 PM

Salary matters

Newbie here.
Anyone who is able to enlighten me on pay matters.

Gross monthly salary: MVC, NPC, NPVP and Allowance part
What does each componenet represents?

Thank in advance.

Unregistered 15-08-2021 07:01 PM

Increment

What is the increment when promoted from Geo 2 (trained) to Geo3? Is it something like $400-$500?

Unregistered 16-08-2021 09:11 PM

Quote:

5 years. But had friends who got in 4 years. ( longer KP) and also 7 years. I think the number of years as a KP is a consideration.

Unregistered 17-08-2021 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 180125)
Does Geo or Seo have better work life balance?

I guess there are tradeoffs?
SEO onwards- i did hear it will be hard for you to try to apply to HQ postings, because many deputy directors, assistant directors or senior assistant directors are at SEO and above level.
Usually SEO positions in HQ will be for these positions which they usually may have earmarked certain people for the positions already (eg scholars)

Work-life balance- not sure if it makes a difference coz it’s about the job scope and duties u still need to fulfill in that portfolio.

Unregistered 18-08-2021 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 180132)
C- no deposit for connect plan for that year. This news was disseminated last year through CES. It's effective for year 2021 onwards.

Anyone else could confirm this?

Unregistered 18-08-2021 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 180340)
Anyone else could confirm this?

There was a circular sent via CES last year. Confirmed.

Unregistered 18-08-2021 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 180341)
There was a circular sent via CES last year. Confirmed.

At the end of the day, one cannot take for granted that the connect plan is a given. Work hard/smart or just be contented with less. There are many people applying for this job. Don’t take it for granted yeah.

Unregistered 19-08-2021 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 180360)
There are many people applying for this job. Don’t take it for granted yeah.

Connect plan is one of the several good things that we enjoy on this job. Yes, there are good things on this job..

... but there are also many glaring areas for improvement in how the system treats teachers. The fact that it is now hard to get in, and the fact that there are many people waiting in line to replace outgoing teachers, should NOT be used as a justification for continued subpar treatment of teachers. You as a teacher (presumably) should understand that.

Examples of stupid things we have to put up with: minimum quotas for adverse performance grades; planned deployment of more "teacher-counsellors" (I assume CARE officers?) in the wake of RV incident instead of resourcing us with real mental health clinicians and more real counsellors; more and more paperwork bloat in the name of accountability and backside covering.

Just because a job is in high demand doesn't mean that there is no room for improvement. How can teachers be telling fellow teachers to be contented and grateful with all these issues? We are better than that.

Unregistered 19-08-2021 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 180410)
Connect plan is one of the several good things that we enjoy on this job. Yes, there are good things on this job..

... but there are also many glaring areas for improvement in how the system treats teachers. The fact that it is now hard to get in, and the fact that there are many people waiting in line to replace outgoing teachers, should NOT be used as a justification for continued subpar treatment of teachers. You as a teacher (presumably) should understand that.

Examples of stupid things we have to put up with: minimum quotas for adverse performance grades; planned deployment of more "teacher-counsellors" (I assume CARE officers?) in the wake of RV incident instead of resourcing us with real mental health clinicians and more real counsellors; more and more paperwork bloat in the name of accountability and backside covering.

Just because a job is in high demand doesn't mean that there is no room for improvement. How can teachers be telling fellow teachers to be contented and grateful with all these issues? We are better than that.

Well if you feel so strongly against the system, you can leave. No one is stopping you.

Unregistered 19-08-2021 07:45 PM

Questions, comments?

s://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/teaching-singapore-better-moe-teacher-091019820.html