Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

ridhwan1820 24-07-2018 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princess&thepopstar (Post 109090)
Wish you all the best, Ridhwan. I'm not heard anything yet. Yep, let's update each other on our progress.

:) Thanks! let's do just that!

Unregistered 24-07-2018 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ridhwan1820 (Post 109083)
Thanks for well-wishes. I don't have much confidence of getting it though. At the current job climate, with so many graduates coming in, it is very hard to get a good-paying job. But im truly banking on this teaching position because teaching is my main passion.

I have applied over 20 job positions on the government portal, and i have been rejected for about half of them so far (not even shortlisted for an interview). And im a FCH from NTU, with a near perfect score. I seriously have no idea why its so hard for me to get a decent job.

all the best to everyone here as well.

ex-civil servant here. i'll be very blunt for your own good.

1) your asking salary is sky high or too high

2) resume problem (u dont know how to write a resume or sell yourself properly to the hirers)

3) applying for jobs which are not related to what u studied (unless they stated all degrees can apply)

u need to figure out which is the problem out of the 3 i stated above.

Unregistered 25-07-2018 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ridhwan1820 (Post 109083)
Thanks for well-wishes. I don't have much confidence of getting it though. At the current job climate, with so many graduates coming in, it is very hard to get a good-paying job. But im truly banking on this teaching position because teaching is my main passion.

I have applied over 20 job positions on the government portal, and i have been rejected for about half of them so far (not even shortlisted for an interview). And im a FCH from NTU, with a near perfect score. I seriously have no idea why its so hard for me to get a decent job.

all the best to everyone here as well.

If teaching is your passion, then pay should not be your priority.

Even top companies pay graduates within a range. Teaching is the place to be if you want a stable and decent role.

Your starting pay is just a stepping stone. I was a private graduate without even a honours 6 years ago. Encountered many rejections during job hunting back then.

I am now working in a top MNC of the industry.

Unregistered 27-07-2018 08:36 PM

school counsellor

im keen to apply for the school counsellor job.

any idea what are the salary ranges for counsellor along the career track progression?

Unregistered 27-07-2018 10:53 PM

Anyone apply to seab ?
Got call for interview liao ?

Unregistered 29-07-2018 11:39 AM

Interview window for SH in MOE

Hi everyone,

Anyone know the confirmation interview period for subject head in MOE?

Thanks in advance. :)

Unregistered 29-07-2018 01:37 PM

Depends on the cluster. Mine is in mid August.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 109215)
Hi everyone,

Anyone know the confirmation interview period for subject head in MOE?

Thanks in advance. :)

Minmin 30-07-2018 06:22 PM

Dip Ed Crossover to BA (Education)

Hi! This is my scenario:

Was doing advertising work (non-graduate) before becoming an AED in a primary school for 4 years (with salary $3K) when I decided to switch to GEO.
MOE offered a Dip Ed programme for 2 years at NIE (with salary $2.5K) - which I have just completed in June.
Based on my result, I was offered a crossover to the degree programme - BA (Ed) at NIE for 2.5 years, starting in Aug (no salary, only stipend).
At this time, I also received a letter of appointment as GEO2 with salary $3.4K. So this will be my salary should I choose not to accept the crossover offer.
Accepted the offer but now I'm wondering if I made a wise decision. First, no salary for 2.5 years, not sure if I will ever earn it back. Second, what would my salary be like after I graduate with BA? Will there be a marked difference from the dip ed salary of $3.4K?
Do you think this is worthwhile?

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Unregistered 31-07-2018 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minmin (Post 109237)
Hi! This is my scenario:

Was doing advertising work (non-graduate) before becoming an AED in a primary school for 4 years (with salary $3K) when I decided to switch to GEO.
MOE offered a Dip Ed programme for 2 years at NIE (with salary $2.5K) - which I have just completed in June.
Based on my result, I was offered a crossover to the degree programme - BA (Ed) at NIE for 2.5 years, starting in Aug (no salary, only stipend).
At this time, I also received a letter of appointment as GEO2 with salary $3.4K. So this will be my salary should I choose not to accept the crossover offer.
Accepted the offer but now I'm wondering if I made a wise decision. First, no salary for 2.5 years, not sure if I will ever earn it back. Second, what would my salary be like after I graduate with BA? Will there be a marked difference from the dip ed salary of $3.4K?
Do you think this is worthwhile?

Thank you in advance for any replies.

With a BA, you will definitely accelerate faster in future. Promotion for BA usually comes faster than a DipEd.

Additional, when it comes to learning, I guess we cannot really put a value to it. I’m sure the BA study will certainly add more value to your T&L in future. It may also open up more opportunities for you too. Don’t see it as a lost for not getting salary. Instead, focus on the value it may bring you in future. Think long term :)

Unregistered 02-08-2018 08:58 PM

Nie pgde

Hello new here & I just have one question. Apparently once all the mods have been completed for the PGDE programme there is another teaching practice thing we have to attend and complete before going to practicum.

Does anyone know about it? I'd like to know more details like where it will be held and what is normally done during this 2 week(?) period. Hope you can help out thank you