Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 24-04-2018 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 106763)
Erm... most people figured out this simple rule within 1 month of leaving school & joining workforce dude. There is nothing "daring or sensitive" about this at all.

Hi, does this mean you were/are very extroverted and "loud" about your achievements in order to get a high performance grade as a teacher? or to promote to higher appointments?

Unregistered 24-04-2018 06:44 PM

What is the pay ceiling for GEO5?

cherlyj 24-04-2018 09:54 PM

Currently a diploma holder,

Joined my current school in 2014,

Promoted from GEO1 to GEO 2 in 2017.

current pay: 2750.

Performance grade: C, C+ C

Currently doing SUSS part time degree but I heard from colleagues that even with a grad cert from suss, the pay increment is little (like take home $400 more only) and not comparable to people graduated from NIE with a degree. ): Felt really sad when I heard this. Is this true?

Also, wondering how long would I be staying in GEO 2? ):
and also considering the NIE degree programme for non graduate teachers but i know that would be two years without any pay ): (Not sure if i can survive two years without any pay) and biggest concern is if i would be posted back to my current school after 2 years(pretty like the environment here). So not sure if i should apply next year.

Any experienced teachers can help me out on this?

Thank you!

cherlyj 24-04-2018 10:00 PM

Don't lose heart... I was like you when I was in my first school. No promotion after 6 years because I was a diploma holder. Got my transfer becuase i was sick of it.

Then got my first promotion (GEO2A1) the following year, only had it to be taken back as I was emplaced in the same year, same month (GEO1) So my first promotion was in my 8th year. 4 years later, I got my second promotion (GEO4).

So, don't lose heart... there are people worse off than you.[/QUOTE]

Hi! Just wondering how did you get emplaced. Is emplacement still possible since they have combined both Dip and Degree into the so called same salary scale. Thank you!

Unregistered 25-04-2018 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher (Post 106722)
If you are referring to the PGDE programme, your degree results (which qualifies you for the PGDE programme) would have already determined your pay based on the honours/non-honours. You results at NIE's PGDE programme will not determine your pay unlike those doing Bachelors of Education at NTU-NIE. Difference in salary between honours is a few hundred dollars (e.g. 2nd lower to 2nd upper is a diff of ~200+ dollars)
Promotion is usually not tied to honours, but since having higher honours = higher pay = faster reach pay ceiling, means probably promotion should also come soon (but more likely to depend on performance and YIS)

That being said, I would suggest you to email MOE recruitment to find out if your AU uni will be recognized for the PGDE programme as I have had a few friends who went overseas, got their degrees with honours but got rejected by MOE consistently in the recent years. That way, you can also make a more informed choice

Hey thanks so much for the info and advice!
Yep I was referring to my degree results and not the PGDE results :)

Anyway I dropped them an email and they said that they don’t have an actual list of qualified degrees, and applicants get shortlisted based on their results and comparing them with the other applicants’ results 🤷🏻*♀️

Unregistered 25-04-2018 08:29 PM

guess emplacement is still possible if you start your degree before MOE announced the same salary scale for dip n degree...

Unregistered 26-04-2018 01:44 AM

Someone posted the salary scale a few pages back - can refer to that.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 106824)
What is the pay ceiling for GEO5?

laoshi 30-04-2018 09:08 PM

Did anyone apply for open posting before? How is the interview process like?
I am thinking of applying for open posting but I do not know what I should say to my P when she ask me the reason for transferring to a new school.

Unregistered 02-05-2018 03:05 PM

Does anyone know how to deal with incompetent teachers/KPs?

Unregistered 02-05-2018 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 106823)
Hi, does this mean you were/are very extroverted and "loud" about your achievements in order to get a high performance grade as a teacher? or to promote to higher appointments?

It happens to all organizations whether public or private sector.

Why else do you think some high visibility projects (esp. those tied to multi-schools or HQ) are always snapped up by many people whereas some condemned background "sai gang" projects forever nobody want to volunteer?

Whether you on teaching or management track, you have to play the corporate politics game if you want your promotions. Forever hide behind the scenes and just quietly teach and do work will never get you beyond Senior Teacher or Subject/Level Head no matter how fantastic you are.