Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 02-04-2018 11:18 PM

How much is promotion increment from geo 2 to geo 3? I'm a diploma holder. Only got promoted after 8 years in service. Is that very slow?

ordinarybuthappy 03-04-2018 09:51 AM

How long does it typically takes to get promoted from GEO5 to SEO1, given that one is holding a SH/LH position?

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher 04-04-2018 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by singsongplaymj (Post 106268)
7 years in service.
Appointed HOD last year.
Geo 4
PB mixture of C+ & Bs, 1A.
Salary 5.7k

What is your take on this career progression? Thanks.

Internal HOD appt or Official appt? If it's Official one you probably will get promoted quite soon as you are currently below your appointment rank. If it's internal I guess you just gotta hold and show that you are capable of taking up that role and (probably longer than official appt HOD but) eventually you will still be marked for GEO5/SEO

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher 04-04-2018 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 106393)
How much is promotion increment from geo 2 to geo 3? I'm a diploma holder. Only got promoted after 8 years in service. Is that very slow?

Promotion increment really depends on your current drawn salary (i.e. someone who is near the geo 2 ceiling of 4.5k vs someone who's drawing 3+k will have very different promotion increments)

Rate of promotion is considered a little slow but quite similar to the previous scale for diploma holders I would say

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher 04-04-2018 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ordinarybuthappy (Post 106402)
How long does it typically takes to get promoted from GEO5 to SEO1, given that one is holding a SH/LH position?

My friend took 2 years with B/A performance (2 years from the point of SH appointment)

singsongplaymj 04-04-2018 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher (Post 106436)
Internal HOD appt or Official appt? If it's Official one you probably will get promoted quite soon as you are currently below your appointment rank. If it's internal I guess you just gotta hold and show that you are capable of taking up that role and (probably longer than official appt HOD but) eventually you will still be marked for GEO5/SEO

Official. Thanks

Unregistered 21-04-2018 10:19 PM

Hey all! I’m from an Aus uni and over here we have the option of doing honours (an additional year) or not (3 years degree). I’d just like to know what the main difference would be with and without honours; would it take longer for me to get promoted, and would there a be a huge difference in salary? Thanks so much :)

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher 21-04-2018 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 106720)
Hey all! I’m from an Aus uni and over here we have the option of doing honours (an additional year) or not (3 years degree). I’d just like to know what the main difference would be with and without honours; would it take longer for me to get promoted, and would there a be a huge difference in salary? Thanks so much :)

If you are referring to the PGDE programme, your degree results (which qualifies you for the PGDE programme) would have already determined your pay based on the honours/non-honours. You results at NIE's PGDE programme will not determine your pay unlike those doing Bachelors of Education at NTU-NIE. Difference in salary between honours is a few hundred dollars (e.g. 2nd lower to 2nd upper is a diff of ~200+ dollars)
Promotion is usually not tied to honours, but since having higher honours = higher pay = faster reach pay ceiling, means probably promotion should also come soon (but more likely to depend on performance and YIS)

That being said, I would suggest you to email MOE recruitment to find out if your AU uni will be recognized for the PGDE programme as I have had a few friends who went overseas, got their degrees with honours but got rejected by MOE consistently in the recent years. That way, you can also make a more informed choice

Unregistered 23-04-2018 09:34 AM

The cruel reality of ranking of staff in schools by KPs/SLs

I know this is a very daring and sensitive question to ask, however I'm sure every working adult out there is interested to know due to the lack of transparency.

So what I heard is this:

If A and B (same GEO/MX rank) put in equal amount of effort in their work and produce similar results, but A makes his contributions/achievements very public or loud (due to his extroverted/power-hungry personality), while B remains low-profile and humble (due to his introverted personality), the higher grade is still awarded to A.

It would be helpful if any (very) experienced staff or even KPs are able to enlighten us on this.

Unregistered 23-04-2018 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 106758)
I know this is a very daring and sensitive question to ask, however I'm sure every working adult out there is interested to know due to the lack of transparency.

So what I heard is this:

If A and B (same GEO/MX rank) put in equal amount of effort in their work and produce similar results, but A makes his contributions/achievements very public or loud (due to his extroverted/power-hungry personality), while B remains low-profile and humble (due to his introverted personality), the higher grade is still awarded to A.

It would be helpful if any (very) experienced staff or even KPs are able to enlighten us on this.

Erm... most people figured out this simple rule within 1 month of leaving school & joining workforce dude. There is nothing "daring or sensitive" about this at all.