Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 29-03-2018 11:57 PM

[forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher-98.html#.Wr0IO3Pmh-E QUOTE=Unregistered;106261]Female.
I have been in the service for abt 5 years.
Thought i will be promoted this year. But nope.
NIE Diploma with A lvls.
Stuck at GEO1 for 5 years already. Pay around 2.2k before CPF.
Degree holder colleague who came in together with me has just been promoted to GEO4.
A junior colleague who wayangs a lot just got promoted to GEO3.
You can see why Im losing my passion. Not because of promotion alone. But because of the unfairness of it all.
When you guys say that 4k is too low for teachers or other complaints abt pay etc..look at mine.

Feel that Im in a hell hole.
Senior colleagues dont mingle with me cuz im "too quiet".

I feel i should opt for a transfer to another school. What do you think?

#feelmypain[/QUOTE]

Don't lose heart... I was like you when I was in my first school. No promotion after 6 years because I was a diploma holder. Got my transfer becuase i was sick of it.

Then got my first promotion (GEO2A1) the following year, only had it to be taken back as I was emplaced in the same year, same month (GEO1) So my first promotion was in my 8th year. 4 years later, I got my second promotion (GEO4).

So, don't lose heart... there are people worse off than you.

Unregistered 30-03-2018 12:12 AM

Awww

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 106286)
[forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher-98.html#.Wr0IO3Pmh-E QUOTE=Unregistered;106261]Female.
I have been in the service for abt 5 years.
Thought i will be promoted this year. But nope.
NIE Diploma with A lvls.
Stuck at GEO1 for 5 years already. Pay around 2.2k before CPF.
Degree holder colleague who came in together with me has just been promoted to GEO4.
A junior colleague who wayangs a lot just got promoted to GEO3.
You can see why Im losing my passion. Not because of promotion alone. But because of the unfairness of it all.
When you guys say that 4k is too low for teachers or other complaints abt pay etc..look at mine.

Feel that Im in a hell hole.
Senior colleagues dont mingle with me cuz im "too quiet".

I feel i should opt for a transfer to another school. What do you think?

#feelmypain

Don't lose heart... I was like you when I was in my first school. No promotion after 6 years because I was a diploma holder. Got my transfer becuase i was sick of it.

Then got my first promotion (GEO2A1) the following year, only had it to be taken back as I was emplaced in the same year, same month (GEO1) So my first promotion was in my 8th year. 4 years later, I got my second promotion (GEO4).

So, don't lose heart... there are people worse off than you.[/QUOTE]

😯😯 You jumped from GEO1 to GEO4? Whoa! Didnt know that was possible. So happy for you!
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. Im thinking of transferring too should things look more bleaker in the months to come.
Reading your experience instilled more patience in me to just move along. Thank you❤

Unregistered 30-03-2018 12:21 AM

Aww

Quote:

Originally Posted by singsongplaymj (Post 106272)
The C- would have a big impact on your promotion, which could be the reason for you staying at the current substantive grade for 5 years. I am sure his remarks were based on larger problems rather than just people finding you less approachable. I must say that things look like it is picking up, and the fact that you were given a C+ shows that your effort is appreciated. So with regard to people's perception, I would say that they recognise what you are doing.

Thank you for your kind words. Yes that C- really did me in. But yeah..bouncing back with the C+ felt a bit more reassuring for the effort ive put in.
Let's hope this yr is a better year.

Trying hard to stop comparing myself to the others who get promoted rather easily.

Gambatte!

Thank you @singsongplaymj

Unregistered 30-03-2018 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 106288)

So, don't lose heart... there are people worse off than you.

😯😯 You jumped from GEO1 to GEO4? Whoa! Didnt know that was possible. So happy for you!
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. Im thinking of transferring too should things look more bleaker in the months to come.
Reading your experience instilled more patience in me to just move along. Thank you❤[/QUOTE]

Sorry, typo mistake, my first promotion was in 2014 to GEO1A1 which was changed to GEO3 in 2015. Then this year Geo4.

Unregistered 30-03-2018 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 106155)
When your principal tells you and you receive the letter or through pac gov???

You can more or less Guess you will be promoted if you have consistent grades or upward trend grades. Usually, last year grade before promotion is the highest of last 3 PB grades. Most of my colleagues, average degree holder performance is 2 years to GEO3, 3 -4 years to GEO4.

For promotion to GEO 5, it depends. Some people take 2 years, some colleagues even 5 years still at GE04.

Above are all first career Teachers for my school colleagues. Mid career should be faster but the expectations will also be higher.

Hi, so it means that we will be receiving a letter via postal mail? Or is it sent to the school?

When will the promotion be official i.e. When will the grade change to the next level in PaC@Gov?

Will the April salary be of the next higher grade? Or will it take a few months?

Unregistered 30-03-2018 11:44 PM

I was promoted to GEO3 in 2014 and has been waiting for my turn to get promoted since then. Performance grades was C+, B, C and B.
C was because i went on maternity leave. Heard that i've to get at least C+ for 3 consecutive years. Is that true? Means that I have to wait for another two years? I thot it was quite sad that i've two B's but cos of maternity leave that i got to restart all over again. Anyone who know if this is true?

Unregistered 31-03-2018 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 106308)
Hi, so it means that we will be receiving a letter via postal mail? Or is it sent to the school?

When will the promotion be official i.e. When will the grade change to the next level in PaC@Gov?

Will the April salary be of the next higher grade? Or will it take a few months?

This year, the list could have come later so some colleagues were not informed before it was announced. List should be sent to school.

Most often, promotion is official 1 April. Some promotions are in October, very few though. So salary is effective promotion date, April or October.

singsongplaymj 31-03-2018 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 106326)
I was promoted to GEO3 in 2014 and has been waiting for my turn to get promoted since then. Performance grades was C+, B, C and B.
C was because i went on maternity leave. Heard that i've to get at least C+ for 3 consecutive years. Is that true? Means that I have to wait for another two years? I thot it was quite sad that i've two B's but cos of maternity leave that i got to restart all over again. Anyone who know if this is true?

Not true. I have colleagues who have gotten 3 consecutive Bs without being promoted. Your appraisal looks promising. Hope for the best next year.

Unregistered 31-03-2018 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 106270)
My own RO keeps on saying it. It has been 5 years of the same comment 😖
My RO would say that ppl are afraid to approach me cuz they find me too quiet. I mean..What in the world is this? I talk when needed. I dont do much small talk. Small talk is what they want. Wayang is what they see.
My performance has been not that bad i guess. In the C category..C, C-, C+. Got C- once due to issues out of my will.

I guess it's hard to change ppl's perception. Better that I leave. 🙁🙁

Getting C- delays your promotion by at least TWO years. :(

Unregistered 02-04-2018 03:02 PM

How much is promotion increment from GEO1 to GEO2?