Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

singsongplaymj 14-10-2018 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 110824)
Hi, I would like to check if I'm a teacher and I'm interested in a Master degree offered by SUSS on Adult learning, do you think it would be wise for me to take? It is part of the lifelong learning initiatives by SG. I'm an educator currently teaching primary level.

What is your rationale for wanting to pursue the master degree?

Unregistered 14-10-2018 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by singsongplaymj (Post 110845)
What is your rationale for wanting to pursue the master degree?

Be role model for my students. To show them that I'm a good example of lifelong learning.

singsongplaymj 14-10-2018 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 110848)
Be role model for my students. To show them that I'm a good example of lifelong learning.

There is nothing wrong with your thinking, but timing is the key. How does it value add to your work besides...driving across the message that one should neevr stop learning? This is esp so when your students are age 12 and below.

Padt time master, no one will stop you...no one can stop you..as long as you can juggle between work and studies. If you are thinkig about taking leave or lesser load to pursue the course, you need good grounds to justify your intention.

How many years have you been in the service? Any particular track that you sre on or going to?

Unregistered 14-10-2018 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 110784)
Is it possible to go for full-time Masters courses not related to education, but related to your teaching subject?

Anyone able to advise for this?

Unregistered 14-10-2018 07:35 PM

[QUOTE=singsongplaymj;110844]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 110604)

I am not sure what you meant by your P hinted that it will be good for you to go back to NIE to deepen your pedagogy in subject content and curriculum planning. If you are doing ok in school and considering that you are relatively new to the service, just keep up yhe good work in school.

You will likely be pushed to go for interview only after you have been promoted to geo 3.

Thank you for this reply. It really encourages me! I hope that day will come.

Unregistered 14-10-2018 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by singsongplaymj (Post 110853)
There is nothing wrong with your thinking, but timing is the key. How does it value add to your work besides...driving across the message that one should neevr stop learning? This is esp so when your students are age 12 and below.

Padt time master, no one will stop you...no one can stop you..as long as you can juggle between work and studies. If you are thinkig about taking leave or lesser load to pursue the course, you need good grounds to justify your intention.

How many years have you been in the service? Any particular track that you sre on or going to?

Yes. Indeed nobody can stop me from taking part time masters. And I have no intention of leaving the service anytime soon or taking any NPL. I just want to have a master at hand which may put me in a better position for future advancement.

Unregistered 19-10-2018 01:07 AM

Mid career teacher

Hi anyone here made mid career switch to teaching?
Heard that a lot of mid career people find it hard to adapt.. is it true?

Been engineer in O&G for almost 10years.. seen the massive retrenchments so job security is a plus point here

Unregistered 20-10-2018 12:13 PM

If a teacher has been promoted one grade up recently, will he or she still receive the yearly increment for that particular year?

Unregistered 20-10-2018 09:36 PM

Based on my experience, if you get your promotion in October, the annual increment the following Apr tends to be smaller. You still get an increment, though.

(From what I understand, promotions come in Apr and Oct - based on observation I think it depends on whether you began teaching in Jan or Jul. To be honest I've not managed to figure this out.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 111006)
If a teacher has been promoted one grade up recently, will he or she still receive the yearly increment for that particular year?

Unregistered 22-10-2018 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 111019)
Based on my experience, if you get your promotion in October, the annual increment the following Apr tends to be smaller. You still get an increment, though.

(From what I understand, promotions come in Apr and Oct - based on observation I think it depends on whether you began teaching in Jan or Jul. To be honest I've not managed to figure this out.)

Thanks for the reply. How much is this "small yearly increment"?