Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 03-04-2017 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 96343)
How is jumping 1 grade a year standard? Please don't mislead others.

From what I see most are 2 years jump 1 grade, some (maybe 25%?) get promoted consecutively. Sometime can promote twice in succession and stall for 2-3 years. Anyway I don't think it's something very rare and seldom seen.

Unregistered 04-04-2017 05:20 PM

Hi, I am currently a BT on probation. Will be confirmed soon. Can I just check if there's an increment when you get confirmed, and is it separate from merit increment?

Unregistered 04-04-2017 06:01 PM

For females, this is quite fast. My male colleague with 6 years experience reached GEO5. And he is not a scholar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 96337)
What is the usual increment (merit + promotion) if one promotes from geo 3 to geo 4? 10% or more?

Also, what is the norm for a female to promote from geo 3 to geo 4?

Is this progression normal or slow?

Mid 2012 - enter service (geo 1.1)
2014 - geo 1A1
2016 - geo 3
2017 - geo 4

Unregistered 04-04-2017 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 96307)
i am just asking. ... i just checked my pac gov...the gross salary now is included of the yearly increment already? or its just the promotion increment.

It includes both annual increment and promotion increment. Been in the system Long enough so u know.

Unregistered 04-04-2017 07:58 PM

Will we ever get to know our CEP? Has any of your ROs actually told you about your CEP?

If you have 2 teachers, both entering service at the same time. One teacher is being promoted to a KP position but the other teacher (without KP portfolio) is being promoted to another substantive grade faster than the teacher who has been given KP portfolio, who has a higher CEP?

Unregistered 04-04-2017 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 96353)
Hi, I am currently a BT on probation. Will be confirmed soon. Can I just check if there's an increment when you get confirmed, and is it separate from merit increment?

If this is your first job, then no. You already received your increment after you graduated from NIE. No more additional increment upon confirmation. Only the yearly merit increment.

However, for mid-career switch, they may receive increment if there is a need to match their pay to their last drawn salary.

Unregistered 06-04-2017 09:19 AM

Application outcome

Hi! Was just wondering if anyone out here applied for the upcoming intake and has already received the application outcome?

LostHOD 06-04-2017 03:50 PM

Just to share

Happen to chance upon this thread while checking up info on adjunct teachers. All of a sudden, I felt lost over my career progression (but that is another long story altogether) and was researching on pay of adjunct teachers and jobs in other government sectors. :)

I guess I am an outlier. I have no honours and not a scholar. About 12 years in service. Was appointed a HOD in 2010 when I was 1A2 and is currently in SEO pay scale.

Just want to comment that to remain in service, you need to strike a balance between managing your boss and doing the best for the students. You need to sense your boss's preference and be able to communicate what you want without compromising the well-being of the students. (Of course, it is easy for me to say when I have been through only 2 VPs, 3 Ps and a few big-shots in MOE).

All the best to those who are applying to be a teacher. MOE has reached the threshold of 30,000 teachers and would be hiring to replace retired teachers and those who resigned.

If I am not bogged down with work, I may be able to answer questions related to the leadership track. Please lve your questions here and possibly an email address so that I can reply. I am not comfortable with leaving too many clues about the nature of my job here.

All the best, everyone!

Unregistered 06-04-2017 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 96415)
Hi! Was just wondering if anyone out here applied for the upcoming intake and has already received the application outcome?

Hi, I also applied for the upcoming intake, and received an email stating that it takes 4-5 weeks for processing after the closing date, and if no news by 28th April considered not shortlisted.
Still waiting too :(

Unregistered 06-04-2017 11:03 PM

Calle bell

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostHOD (Post 96428)
Happen to chance upon this thread while checking up info on adjunct teachers. All of a sudden, I felt lost over my career progression (but that is another long story altogether) and was researching on pay of adjunct teachers and jobs in other government sectors. :)

I guess I am an outlier. I have no honours and not a scholar. About 12 years in service. Was appointed a HOD in 2010 when I was 1A2 and is currently in SEO pay scale.

Just want to comment that to remain in service, you need to strike a balance between managing your boss and doing the best for the students. You need to sense your boss's preference and be able to communicate what you want without compromising the well-being of the students. (Of course, it is easy for me to say when I have been through only 2 VPs, 3 Ps and a few big-shots in MOE).

All the best to those who are applying to be a teacher. MOE has reached the threshold of 30,000 teachers and would be hiring to replace retired teachers and those who resigned.

If I am not bogged down with work, I may be able to answer questions related to the leadership track. Please lve your questions here and possibly an email address so that I can reply. I am not comfortable with leaving too many clues about the nature of my job here.

All the best, everyone!

That's a long career. What advice would you have for someone who is interested in the leadership track? I'm about to be in service for one year but I'm fortunate to have been given quite a few projects and tasks to handle in my school.