Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 22-10-2018 10:44 PM

About $100 the last round - significantly lower than previous/subsequent years', even with the same performance grade.

Observed it every promotion year (or at least the last few ones), so the only explanation I have is the Oct pay raise from promotion the previous year somehow affected it (pro-rated, perhaps?).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 111067)
Thanks for the reply. How much is this "small yearly increment"?

Unregistered 23-10-2018 01:50 PM

What do you think of leaders/supervisors who love to patrol about classroom corridors and catch teachers with noisy students in their class?

Unregistered 28-10-2018 12:32 PM

MOE needs many pri sch teachers now because JC/Sec teachers are saturated...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 110502)
Hi all,
I know that many of you are experienced teachers here, so I am hoping that you might be able to give me some advice on my dilemma now.

I am holding a PhD in a teaching subject and before my PhD of 5 years, I had also 2 years of working experience as an engineer. I have a passion for teaching and I know I do enjoy it as I have had many relief teaching experiences already.

I have recently obtained a job offer from an international school doing IB (similar to ACS(I)) and have also applied in the recent window of PGDE. the CS I have chosen is the JC and Sec of my PhD/BSc major . However, the first offer that came offered me Pri English and Science. I actually love children and I can work with children, but I chose JC and Sec so that I can make use of my knowledge as my teaching subject is not available in primary level. So I have rejected that and they say that they will reconsider me for sec/jc level.

Salary wise, the offer I received is okay, though a little lower than my expected. I do not know what MOE is able to offer me a place/decent salary. I am just worried about the future coz the offer is a 2 year renewable, and I do not have that many options in Singapore unlike if I am NIE trained. There are still a couple of days in the window that MOE would be informing me, but the school is saying that they cannot wait too long for my decision.

Anyone can offer some advice for me?

Unregistered 30-10-2018 10:26 AM

Part-time MA

Quote:

Originally Posted by Considering MA (Post 110768)
I’m thinking of applying for a part-time MA programme unrelated to teaching. I have zero interest in doing an education-related MA.

Has anyone pursued this with a full teaching load before? I am concerned it will be sifficult to cope.

I do not plan to disclose my MA studies to my school as my principal will definitely not approve of this. She is already very unsupportive of colleagues asking for 90% load due to stress from part-time MA studies at NIE.

I’m currently doing part-time MA studies, not education related but related to my teaching subject. Be prepared to be asked why you intend to do so and you need a supportive P in order to proceed.

I’m still on full teaching load, 8 classes, secondary school and it is tough juggling between work and study, esp since my MA is a research MA. My colleagues who took coursework MA found it slightly easier to manage. Regardless, be prepared for late nights and high stress esp during peak periods like event planning and marking. Really need to manage your time properly. I do have colleagues who switched to part-time to cope but depends on your school’s needs and deployment.

Unregistered 31-10-2018 08:10 PM

D grade for teachers

Should i appeal?

Unregistered 31-10-2018 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 111308)
Should i appeal?

Who did you offend. Usually is just c.

Ro biased?

Unregistered 31-10-2018 09:15 PM

RO is a pain in an a**. Nobody likes him. I think i am being misrepresented. Thinking of talking to cluster sup or moe instead

singsongplaymj 31-10-2018 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 111091)
What do you think of leaders/supervisors who love to patrol about classroom corridors and catch teachers with noisy students in their class?

What do you think of teachers who cannot manage classes?

I doubt school leaders/ KPs will deliberately find fault with any teachers. A learning classroom is not one that is quiet. Healthy buzzing is appreciated. But if students are yelling at the top of their lungs, roaming around, and teachers are sitting at the desk area playing with their phones, it will only be a matter of time before things happened. So nipping the problem at the bud is better than letting the teachers get into trouble.

Unregistered 31-10-2018 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 111311)
RO is a pain in an a**. Nobody likes him. I think i am being misrepresented. Thinking of talking to cluster sup or moe instead

Think got chance???

singsongplaymj 31-10-2018 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 111311)

Go to the SLs, request for change of RO with substantial reasons. Even if you go to supt or whatever higher level you can lay your hands on, they will still go back to your SL.